Competitive army 2k

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
AN'SHI
Shas

Competitive army 2k

Post#1 » Jul 25 2017 06:00

So in light of the new faq and that my play group is of a competitive nature and well so am I :P here is my new list. How can I make it even more scary

HQ 877
Commander 176 - fusion x3 shield drones x2
Commander 176 - fusion x4 shield drones x2
Commander 156 - missile pod x3, advanced targeting system (ats)
Commander 154 - cib pod x3, ats, shield drones x2
Long strike 215 rail gun, sms x2

Fast attack 88
Pathfinder x10 pulse accelator drone

Elite 645
Xv8 body gaurd x3 (345) missile pod x6, ats, stim injectors x2 shield drones x6
Stealth suite x3 (150), burst cannon x3, homing beacon, shield drones x2, ats x3
Stealth suite x3 (150) - burst cannon x3, homing beacon shield drones x2, ats x3

Heavy 390
Hammer head (195) - rail gun, sms x2
Hammer head (195) - rail gun, sms x2

5 battle points
Supreme command detachment
Vanguard detachment

So the game plan is blow up my enemy from afar while keeping long strike alive via body guards

My body guards ain't no wimps they can still put out damage

Stealth suits deliver the pay load aka my commanders, and I do have a good portion of anti infantry shooting

Funny enough my commanders and shield drone are looking to dare I say charge where possible when they drop

So what do you folks think?

relasine
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Competitive army 2k

Post#2 » Jul 25 2017 07:14

Curious to see how well the Bodyguards perform with Longstrike.

I would maybe consider splitting up the Pathfinders into two units.

If you drop all the extras on the Stealth Teams, you could have 120 points to play with as you like. This could be leveraged into a Piranha as an objective grabber and fast-response unit or something else.

Otherwise, I think it's an interesting list. Let us know how it goes!

lantzkev
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jul 25 2017 07:15

Just as a reminder, the bodyguards can't pass on the wounds they take from longstrike to the drones.

Also the stealth suit can only do one unit (so one commander)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 25 2017 10:35

Bodyguards will not be very effective at defending Longstrike- if he takes a hit from an anti-tank weapon, those Bodyguards will be absolutely blown apart- they can't pass wounds to their Drones and can't keep up with Longstrike's quick movement. So let's re-arm them as regular XV8s with Cyclic Ion Blasters, and see what the list looks like:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS (156)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters, ATS; 2x Shield Drones (154)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x SMS (215)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (126)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (126)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders (80)
Heavy Support - Hammerhead w/ Railgun, 2x SMS (195)

In total, that's 1905 points! Still plenty of room to grow. We have a decent amount of anti-infantry thanks to the SMS ad Burst Cannons, our Fusion Blasters ad Railguns should take care of tanks, and the Stealthsuits and Pathfinders help support the main hard-hitting units. With the remaining 95 points, I would first add Seeker Missiles to every unit that can take them- that's 6 Seeker Missiles, only 30 points. Hitting on 2+ with Longstrike's buff, those are going to be deadly. Finally, a little more objective-holding and markerlight-shooting firepower could come in handy- I'd say we want an average of 6 Markerlights hitting per turn. Why don't we make the following Pathfinder squads?

Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights, 2x Ion Rifles (72)

These would get you the Markerlight hits you need, and get you just a little more firepower. Let's see what the whole list looks like:

-

HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (225)
Heavy Support - Hammerhead w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (205)

Total: 1999 - Command Points: 5 (1 Supreme Command Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

If you could squeeze in one more Fast Attack squad you could even get another Command Point, but that's just an observation. Anyway, what do you think?

AN'SHI
Shas

Post#5 » Jul 25 2017 11:14

The wording is pretty unusual for the sworn protector I thought it functioned similar to drones hmm per wound it seems to only thing is I can get a 6+ fnp if I add an ethereal I could get 2, 6+ fnp

But I am going to be making some tweaks that being said what do you all think of xv9 to me I find them on the crazy side if you take 1 with 4 gun drones that's 32 shots holy smoke talk about anti infantry 130 points

AN'SHI
Shas

Post#6 » Jul 25 2017 11:37

Arka0415 wrote:Bodyguards will not be very effective at defending Longstrike- if he takes a hit from an anti-tank weapon, those Bodyguards will be absolutely blown apart- they can't pass wounds to their Drones and can't keep up with Longstrike's quick movement. So let's re-arm them as regular XV8s with Cyclic Ion Blasters, and see what the list looks like:

HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x SMS (215)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders (80)

In total, that's 1905 points! Still plenty of room to grow. We have a decent amount of anti-infantry thanks to the SMS ad Burst Cannons, our Fusion Blasters ad Railguns should take care of tanks, and the Stealthsuits and Pathfinders help support the main hard-hitting units. With the remaining 95 points, I would first add Seeker Missiles to every unit that can take them- that's 6 Seeker Missiles, only 30 points. Hitting on 2+ with Longstrike's buff, those are going to be deadly. Finally, a little more objective-holding and markerlight-shooting firepower could come in handy- I'd say we want an average of 6 Markerlights hitting per turn. Why don't we make the following Pathfinder squads?

These would get you the Markerlight hits you need, and get you just a little more firepower. Let's see what the whole list looks like:

-

Total: 1999 - Command Points: 5 (1 Supreme Command Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

If you could squeeze in one more Fast Attack squad you could even get another Command Point, but that's just an observation. Anyway, what do you think?

I actually like the way you put this list together very well thought out I think I'll change out the xv8 for xv9. It seems the tourney scene allows forge world for the most part so why not give it a try.

I wonder are seeker missiles worth it for 5 points i can potentially do 1 mortal wound it's kinda hit or miss no? Also the pathfinder are 102 points if my math is Correct 27+27+48

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Jul 26 2017 01:24

AN'SHI wrote:I actually like the way you put this list together very well thought out I think I'll change out the xv8 for xv9. It seems the tourney scene allows forge world for the most part so why not give it a try.

I wonder are seeker missiles worth it for 5 points i can potentially do 1 mortal wound it's kinda hit or miss no? Also the pathfinder are 102 points if my math is Correct 27+27+48

Go for it- a squad of 3x XV9s with Double-Barreled Burst Cannons will cost 335 points with Advanced Targeting Systems (you need those on XV9s!) and 4x Gun Drones. So, you'd need to free up 29 points from somewhere.

Seeker Missiles are absolutely worth it- a Mortal Wound on a 2+ (83.3%) absurdly powerful. If you had a gun that had, say, BS2+/S18/AP-5/D1 the Seeker Missile would still be stronger than that. For 5 points? Sign me up!

The Pathfinders are costed correctly:

8x Pathfinders: 40 points
6x Markerlights: 18 points
2x Ion Rifles: 14 points
Total: 72 points

If you want to make the switch to XV8s, the question is just where you'll get those 29 extra points from. Though, given that XV9s have a vastly different combat role than XV8s, we should make a few more changes. First, drop the Smart Missiles from every Hammerhead except Longstrike- you'll have more than enough S5 firepower coming out of those XV9s. If we replace those with two Gun Drones apiece, that'll save us 58 points, bringing the list to 1980 points. With the 20 remaining points, we can split the Pathfinder squads down and get that extra Command Point! Let's check out this list:

-

Elites - 3x XV9s w/ 6x Double-Barreled Burst Cannons, 3x ATS; 4x Gun Drones (335)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 4x Markerlights, 2x Ion Rifles (56)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 4x Markerlights, 2x Ion Rifles (56)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights (48)
Heavy Support - Hammerhead w/ Railgun, 2x Gun Drones, 2x Seeker Missiles (181)
Heavy Support - Hammerhead w/ Railgun, 2x Gun Drones, 2x Seeker Missiles (181)

Total: 1996 - Command Points: 6 (1 Supreme Command, 1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

Not sure what do do with that last 4 points- you could give each Stealthsuit Shas'vre a Multi-Tracker but that's just going to be annoying to keep track of. I'll leave it to you. What do you think?

AN'SHI
Shas

Post#8 » Jul 26 2017 07:54

Arka0415 wrote:
The Pathfinders are costed correctly:

8x Pathfinders: 40 points
6x Markerlights: 18 points
2x Ion Rifles: 14 points
Total: 72 points

Yikes my bad I was thinking rail rifles :)

Return to “Cadre Building”