2500 LVO Gladiator List!

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Rogue Sun
Shas'La
Shas'La

2500 LVO Gladiator List!

Post#1 » Jul 27 2017 03:39

Hey everyone, so I'm headed to the Las Vegas Open and was thinking of playing in the Gladiator event. Basically it's 2500 points and has zero comp score, so I expect a lot of filth. I won't be engaging in the filth myself but have come up with a list I'm fairly happy with anyway:

Outrider Detachment

Commander - 4 FB
Dark Strider

5 Xv8 - 5 Flamers, 10 Plasma

10 Breachers - Guardian Drone
Devilfish - 2 Gun Drones, 2 Seekers

2 Pirahna - 2 BC, 4 Seekers
10 Vespid
10 Vespid

Sunshark
Sunshark

Outrider Detachment

Longstrike - Railgun, SMS, 2 Seekers (warlord)

10 Pathfinders
10 Pathfinders
2 Pirahna - 2 BC, 4 Seekers

Hammerhead - Railgun, 2 Gun Drones, 2 Seekers
Hammerhead - Railgun, 2 Gun Drones, 2 Seekers

Total: 2500

It's a mechanized list, favoring speed and durability with a heavy drop element. Basic concept is:

Pirahnas, Breacher Devilfish and Sunsharks head out to get close and take objectives. This is a primarily anti-infantry focused part of the list with maybe some light vehicle hunting.

QFC, Vespid and Crisis drop on a flank or behind if possible to disrupt lines, destroy isolated forces or hunt down elites. They may also be used to counter a deep strike heavy force. They are the most flexible part of the list. The crisis team will hopefully act as the shock troops for this portion of the army, allowing the Vespid to operate fairly unhindered. QFC does what he does best.

Longstrike and the Hammerheads hang out in the back with the Pathfinders providing long-range fire support and holding objectives in my deployment Zone. I've gone for 20 Pathfinders over 20 Strike Team that were originally in the list, I figure they can still guard the back line with their strength five shots but can also use their marker lights to help the rest of the force. This also allows me to use all the Seeker missiles I have in the list as an alpha strike. Ideally I should have enough threat saturation to limit the amount of Fire coming at the Pathfinders.

Thoughts, comments, criticism?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 2500 LVO Gladiator List!

Post#2 » Jul 27 2017 04:27

Honestly this looks like a really strong list. Just three things to think about:

1. Flamers make pretty poor deep strike weapons, since their range is so short. If I were you, I would go with 4x XV8s w/ 3x PR each, and one XV8 w/ 3x Flamers. That way the Flamer guy can 'die first' and/or provide overwatch while the rest of the XV8s go to town with their Plasma.
2. I'd try to get Gun Drones on that XV8 squad too- they're going to attract a lot of fire, and Gun Drones could help protect them a bit. A Drone Controller on the squad could be helpful too.

I think it's worth dropping a squad of Vespid to make these changes. Here's what the squad would look like:

Elites - 5x XV8s w/ 3x Flamers, 11x Plasma Rifles, 1x Drone Controller; 10x Gun Drones (443)

This would cost 78 more points, so if you drop 5 Vespid you can pay for it. Or, go to one squad of 12 Vespid and buy Missile Pods for the Sun Sharks.

3. Just remember that the Piranha-based Seeker Missiles get -1 to hit if they move, so you need 3 Markerlight hits to shoot them properly.

What do you think?

Rogue Sun
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 2500 LVO Gladiator List!

Post#3 » Jul 28 2017 01:59

The flamers on the suits aren't really inteended for the drop turn, but more for the subsequent charge and any turn after. They are inteded as horde control after the initial drop eliminates any elite threats. I'm not huge on mixed loadouts in squads simplu because it leads to strange decision making as you take casualites. This way the only decision is to keep the shas'vre.

Similarly I don't want to drop the Vespid. They provide me the necessary numbers to claim objectives gar from my deployment and are the true workhorse of the drop element. The crisis should soak up most of the attention while the vespid go around actually killing things.

That said, I have considered dropping the seekers from the Pirahnas in favor of 5 drones for the suits. Not sure if gun drones or shield drones will be better though. Shields will let them perform the role of shock troops better, but gundrones will help demolish more infantry.

Return to “Cadre Building”