Fate of Konor Week 2 - 2000 pts

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Fate of Konor Week 2 - 2000 pts

Post#1 » Jul 27 2017 03:58

Hey everyone,

My local shop is hosting Fate of Konor campaign games this week. For those who do not know it is the current global narrative campaign GW is running. My friend and I were already planning on playing a 1500 point game but decided to use this mission to spice things up.

Here is a link to the website. https://warhammer40000.com/fate-konor-galaxy-flames/

The first week mission is called "Invasion" and it is an assaults / defense mission. One important change to the rules of this mission is reserves do not arrive automatically you roll for them at the start of the turn and they can only arrive within 6" of their owners board edge. Any player with the IMPERIUM keyword is automatically the defender so my Tau are on the attack this week. Here is a link to the mission rules https://warhammer40000.com/mission-1-invasion/. You score points by having units in your enemies deployment zone. Your opponent scores by removing your units. There are some mission specific stratagems as well if you bring a battle forged list.

With the changes to the reserve rules in mind and with the fluffy nature of this being a more narrative and not so competitive game this is the list I came up with. I also decided on taking less but more durable units because of the scoring system of the mission.

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [51 PL, 1002pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [6 PL, 153pts]: Drone controller, 3x Missile pod

Commander [6 PL, 156pts]: Advanced targeting system, 3x Missile pod
(I don't have CIBs yet or I would use them here. Since everything is starting on the table I wanted the commanders to have some weapons with range to start firing right away.)

+ Elites +

XV104 Riptide Battlesuit [17 PL, 324pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system, Heavy burst cannon, Target lock

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [12 PL, 190pts]
. 4x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Advanced targeting system: 4x Advanced targeting system, 4x Burst cannon
. Stealth Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, Burst cannon

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [10 PL, 179pts]: 2x Flamer, Advanced targeting system, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Target lock

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [23 PL, 497pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Commander [6 PL, 160pts]: 4x Fusion blaster

+ Fast Attack +

Tactical Drones [2 PL, 32pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone

Tactical Drones [2 PL, 32pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone

Tactical Drones [4 PL, 80pts]: 8x MV7 Marker Drone

+ Dedicated Transport +

TY7 Devilfish [7 PL, 151pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Burst cannon

++ Total: [74 PL, 1499pts] ++

5 CP

My thoughts here are having an aggressive force that all starts on the table and can quickly move up the table and get in my opponents face but has the staying power to still be there at the end of the game to score points. The Gun Drones will go in the Devilfish with the Fireblade this will be supported by the Missile commanders which will go with the Marker drones and advance along with the Riptide as a strong core force. The Stealthsuites and the Ghostkeel will take advantage of their infiltration ability to start up the field and harry my opponents flanks. I'm a bit worried about antitank as I don't think QFC will be that effective without the ability to Manta strike into position, but I'm taking one in my force just to give it some more teeth in the case that my opponent (blood angels) decides to take a Landraider, Knight or Stormraven or something nasty like that.

All comments / constructive feedback is most welcome!

I also wanted to start this thread as a place for people to talk about the Fate of Konor mission.

Anyone else playing it this week?

What are your thoughts on the mission?

What are you going to bring?

That is all! Keep on hobbying everyone.
Last edited by Blindeye on Aug 03 2017 01:41, edited 2 times in total.
Through Unity Devastation.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Panzer
Shas'La

Re: Fate of Konor Week 1 - 1500 pts

Post#2 » Jul 27 2017 04:08

If I manage to get a game in I'd go with the Start Collecting theme.
So a force of 3 Crisis, an Ethereal and 10 Firewarrior and like 8 or 10 Drones (don't remember how many exactly are in the box).

For the Crisis I'd probably go with Flamer, for the Drones with Gun Drones or Shield Drones for the Crisis and the Firewarrior obviously with Pulse Rifles in such a list.

That should be slightly below 500p so only something for smaller games. For 1k I could double up on the units but this time with some Marker Drones and Missile Pod Crisis I guess.

My victories would all count towards Chaos for multiple reasons:
1. T'au are MUCH more likely to fight the Imperium (and Xenos actually decrease points of a faction instead of giving points to one)
2. Imperium is VERY likely to win anyway due the recent releases, the already existing ancient model range of CSM and the upcoming CSM releases on the horizone everyone is waiting for
3. I simply think it would make for a much more interesting story if the Imperium of Man would lose. Seriously, the setting needs the IoM to lose something for real not those "yeah Chaos won but it's not that bad actually"-writing GW does all the time. (note: it's already known that Mortarion has to escape the whole fighting against Ultramar so no matter how hard the IoM might lose, it won't be so bad in the end)

Oh and imo it's rather obvious, but the whole Fate of Konor campaign is clearly just to promote/introduce the arrive of the Death Guard and Mortarion while being a nice opportunity for GW to sell a bunch of their shiny new Primaris.

At least the interactive map is really awesomely made I guess! :D

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 28 2017 03:58

As you want durability to take victory points and not give them away, I would actually go with a unit of Shield drones and park them in their deployment zone. Also a Devilfish with drones instead of the SMS, will keep points for you when the devilfish blows up (then you have another unit of 2 drones to keep racking in points, unless you roll a double 1 when you have no other inhabitants of the fish)

Also trying to get a 1k point game in this week, with all my models that I have and that includes the Start Collecting set so that gives me some extra bonus if I win.

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 28 2017 12:27

As you want durability to take victory points and not give them away, I would actually go with a unit of Shield drones and park them in their deployment zone.

I really want to get my hands on some shield drones, post FAQ they seem so strong, between the 4+ invulnerable save and the 5+ FNP. So annoying for your enemy to remove.

Also a Devilfish with drones instead of the SMS, will keep points for you when the devilfish blows up (then you have another unit of 2 drones to keep racking in points, unless you roll a double 1 when you have no other inhabitants of the fish)

I did not see this until after my game but I defiantly should have done it. I think having allot of little squads would also be good for this mission as you just get allot more possibilities to score points.

I agree with you Panzer about fighting for Chaos here.

I simply think it would make for a much more interesting story if the imperium of Man would lose. Seriously, the setting needs the IoM to lose something for real not those "yeah Chaos won but it's not that bad actually"-writing GW does all the time. (note: it's already known that Mortarion has to escape the whole fighting against Ultramar so no matter how hard the IoM might lose, it won't be so bad in the end)

I would be quite interested to see the 40K universe devolve into isolated remnants of the empire fighting for survival, a big shake up would be exciting. This could lead to several unique human factions (besides just imperium) or human alien alliances. Doubt it will happen though.

Played the game last night. It was fun! I liked the mission allot. Just something different. Not being able to deep strike commanders was a little difficult and made me rethink my overall strategy. Probably should have taken a couple hammerheads with the rail guns for some consistent back line antitank. If my enemy had had allot of vehicles I might have been in trouble but as it was he only had one Stormraven. Still took me three turns to destroy it with the Missile commanders after the QFC failed to do damage turn 1 and then got evaporated by the Stormraven's lazcannons.

It was a blood bath of a game. My opponent was playing blood angels. He had Deathcompany, a Chaplain and a Librarian in the Stormraven, 10 Tacs, 10 Devastators and 10 scouts. The Ghostkeel and the Stealthsuits infiltrated towards the Scouts turn 1 then shot and charged them removing most of them. The Devilfish, Riptide, Missile Commanders and Drones went right up the middle. The Devilfish charged the Tacs. Then he retaliated Killing a few Stealthsuits, the QFC, some drones and badly damaging the Devilfish.

Turn Two the Drones and Fireblade hopped out of the fish. Everything moved up. I shot most of the Tacs and Devs off the table that were in the open and badly damaged the Stormraven with missiles from the commanders but failed to destroy it. His turn 2 he disembarked the Deathcompany. He made kind of a strange decision here to go after the stealth suits with the death company. Instead of the Riptide and commanders and Drones. I think he was afraid of the combined over watch but leaving all the force alive and unthreated was a big mistake in my opinion.

After that things devolved pretty quickly. The Stormraven was destroyed. I lost the Devilfish to the surviving Devastators. The rest of his Tacs were wiped up. All he had remaining were the Deathcompany which were out of position chasing Stealthsuits. The game was all but over, but do to the narrative nature of the game and just wanting to play more I broke off the ghostkeel drones and fireblade and went to meet the Deathcompany and Librarian saying the rest of my surviving army "continued on deeper into imperial lines". So we had a fun little skirmish were the Ghostkeel and drones killed most of the Deathcompany in shooting and overwatch then the Deathcompany, Chaplain and Librarian finished off the drones and Fireblade. Even the surviving two Stealthsuits joined the fray getting the Chaplain down to 1 wound and killing the librarian with the help of the Ghostkeel before the Chaplain finished them off.

The game dragged on to turn seven and all he had remaining was the Chaplain with one wound valiantly holding the line in the face of overwhelming numbers. In the end we tallied points and I had actually lost 7 units and only had 5 remaining plus slay the Warlord. So it turned out to be an imperial victory 7-6 despite him only have one model with one wound remaining! :-(. Whoops! But oh well, in the moment I was just having too much fun playing war and killing each other and wasn't thinking about the mission or the result of the game. Gotta keep your eyes on the prize.

Also trying to get a 1k point game in this week, with all my models that I have and that includes the Start Collecting set so that gives me some extra bonus if I win.

Stealthknight and Panzer. Let me know how your games go and your thoughts of the mission if you get a game in!

Anyone else fighting for the fate of Konor this week?
Blindeye Cadre Log

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 28 2017 12:39

Unfortunately I won't be able to play a game this weekend it seems. The one I planned to play against has to work the whole weekend due others being sick and stuff and I don't really feel like playing against random people these days.

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jul 28 2017 12:41

Here are some pictures of the game.

My opponents beautiful blood angels.

Getting ready for deployment.

Tau advance turn 1.

Beautiful Stormraven about to incinerate the QFC (Badly in need of paint!).

The final showdown between the Deathcompany and the Tau cleanup crew.

Sorry to hear that Panzer. Yeah sometimes it is hard to play vs. new people, a little more pressure or awkward or something.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 28 2017 12:43

Beautiful BA army. Just be happy you had to face Deathcompany and not Vanguard Veterans or Sanguinary Guard. BA pretty much did a 180° there compared to 7th edition. :D

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jul 28 2017 01:00

I like your Tau painting! Very GIJOE-y

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jul 28 2017 02:13

Thanks! It has been a slow grow but I'm starting to get more painted. Yeah I really love the way he painted his Blood Angels as well such clean work.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Aug 03 2017 01:25

Week 2 is upon us!

Back with another list.

Looks like an interesting mission this week. For those who have not seen it here are the rules: https://warhammer40000.com/mission-2-seek-destroy/.

Bringing lots of Crisis suits this week to hopefully score some extra points from:

Heavy Duty Onslaught: Each time an enemy unit is destroyed, you score 1 victory point. You score 1 additional victory point if the last model in the enemy unit was slain by a unit with an unmodified Save characteristic of 2+ or 3+.

This week I'm going with a classic two piece Tau army. On one hand we have a gunline, screened by kroot, backed by the Broadside, Marker Drones and Tetras. On the other we have the Stealth Suits with homing beacon, two squads of Crisis Suits and QFC to bring the heat to my opponent anywhere on the table.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [46 PL, 928pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

+ Troops +

Kroot Carnivores [3 PL, 60pts]: 10x Kroot

Strike Team [5 PL, 80pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse rifle
. 9x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Tactical Drones [4 PL, 60pts]: 6x MV7 Marker Drone

Tetra Scout Speeder Team [7 PL, 159pts]
. 3x Tetra Scout Speeder: 3x High intensity markerlight

+ Heavy Support +

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [9 PL, 207pts]
. Broadside Shas'vre: 2x High-yield missile pod, 2x Smart missile system, Drone controller

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [52 PL, 1080pts] ++

+ HQ +

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [12 PL, 200pts]: Homing beacon
. 5x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system: 5x Burst cannon
. Stealth Shas'vre: Burst cannon

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 319pts]: 3x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV7 Marker Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Cyclic ion blaster, Drone controller
. Crisis Shas'vre: 3x Cyclic ion blaster

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 241pts]: 5x MV1 Gun Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Flamer
. Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Flamer
. Crisis Shas'vre: Drone controller, 2x Flamer

++ Total: [98 PL, 2008pts] ++
7CP

If I win I'm defiantly taking points from the Imperium. It seems like Chaos needs all the help it can get!
Blindeye Cadre Log

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Aug 03 2017 01:32

Keep in mind that Manta strike comes in on turn 2. I found in week 1 that the fusion commanders not coming in early enough was a huge detriment, I'm going to run them on the ground this week.

Your army only has 12 drops which is ok, but of those only 7 can claim double VP.

I'm going to try running my list with 2 riptides to soak up the points and hopefully some fire.

ALSO, I was doing the math on 4FB vs 3FB/MT commanders and from a points efficiency standpoint the 3FB commander is more efficient if you don't have the ML support. You may want to consider doing that and gain the points somewhere else?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Aug 03 2017 01:41

Max the drones in the crisis squads if you can. I think 3 QFC's is too much but that's just me. Cutting down the stealth suit squad may free up some good points. You only take them to get the beacon anyway, don't need 6 of them to deliver that. Tetras might be better served as pathfinders if you have them. Taking commanders instead of CIB XV8's might be better bang for your buck too while also satisfying the Heavy Duty Onslaught to gain extra VP. food for thought but play with what you know and like obviously. :)

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Re: Fate of Konor Week 2 - 2000 pts

Post#13 » Aug 04 2017 02:50

I've been trying to keep things a little fluffier for the Campaign games due to their narrative nature. I played the game yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately didn't have time to tweak my list as I had to work after I posted up until the game and I only brought the models I needed for the list.

That being said it was a derisive victory for the Tau. We didn't count the points up as my opponent conceded the game (only having a Captain in terminator armor and Dante (MORE BLOOD ANGELS! Played 3 games against them in a row)). I think the score would have been something like 16-10. I got pretty lucky stealing the initiative on defense into his aggressive deployment in the open. Things went down hill from there. I of course took points from the Imperium! Chaos seems to need all the help it can get.

Top of turn 2 QFC and flamer Crisis arrive on the homing beacon obliterating the blood angels vehicles and some tactical marines.

Blood angels turn 2, Terminators and Death Company arrive to deal a devastating blow to the unsuspecting Fire Warriors.

I think 3 QFC's is too much but that's just me.

After the game I was thinking about this allot Yojimbob because after the QFC's arrived and popped the enemies vehicles (a predator and two dreadknoughts) they didn't have much to do the rest of the game. Two QFCs and a CIB commander might have been better. I have also been a fan of a missile commander in my backline for a well timed Kauyon or Mont'k.

I'm going to try running my list with 2 riptides to soak up the points and hopefully some fire.

Glarblar let me know how your game goes with the Riptides. So far I haven't had much luck with mine, although they can sure take allot of punishment, especially when supported by drones.

That's all for now. Anyone else playing Fate of Konor games this week?
Blindeye Cadre Log

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Re: Fate of Konor Week 2 - 2000 pts

Post#14 » Aug 07 2017 02:22

Blindeye wrote:

Glarblar let me know how your game goes with the Riptides. So far I haven't had much luck with mine, although they can sure take allot of punishment, especially when supported by drones.

http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=26298

I posted a Bat-rep here

I think the Iontide is too random, and the HBCtide is underpowered to be decent. I think I'll run them a bit more to get a feel of how they fair against different armies but I'm looking forward to what we will see added to them in the Codex.

Return to “Cadre Building”