Manta strike based list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
CrappingEagle
Shas

Manta strike based list

Post#1 » Jul 31 2017 10:30

Apprieciate some perspective other then friends and people at my shop.

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [79 PL, 1535pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander Farsight [8 PL, 151pts]

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol

Pathfinder Team [4 PL, 60pts]: 2x MV7 Marker Drone

XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit [20 PL, 408pts]: Advanced targeting system, Counterfire defence system

XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit [20 PL, 408pts]: Advanced targeting system, Counterfire defence system

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [21 PL, 462pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, 154pts]: Advanced targeting system, 3x Cyclic ion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

Commander [7 PL, 154pts]: Advanced targeting system, 3x Cyclic ion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

++ Total: [100 PL, 1997pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Manta strike based list

Post#2 » Aug 01 2017 12:03

CrappingEagle wrote:Apprieciate some perspective other then friends and people at my shop.

+ HQ +

+ Fast Attack +

+ HQ +

This list is the definition of "bring only good stuff." Can confirm, everything here is good! :D The wargear though might need to change. First, those Y'vahras need Target locks (+21)- it would be too easy to neuter them by killing the Pathfinders. Also, at least one of your Commanders should use the 4x Fusion Blaster loadout (+22). Finally, we can just drop those 4 Marker Drones (-40), if you want more Markerlights it would be easy just to add a few more Pathfinders. And funny that, that brings your list to exactly 2000 points!

-

HQ - Commander Farsight (151)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x CIBs, ATS; 2x Shield Drones (154)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders (40)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ ATS, Target Lock (415)

Total: 2000 - Command Points: 5 (1 Supreme Command Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

What do you think?
Last edited by Arka0415 on Aug 01 2017 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

CrappingEagle
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 01 2017 12:16

Arka0415 wrote:
CrappingEagle wrote:Apprieciate some perspective other then friends and people at my shop.

+ HQ +

+ Fast Attack +

+ HQ +

This list is the definition of "bring only good stuff." Can confirm, everything here is good! :D The wargear though might need to change. First, those Y'vahras need Target locks (+21)- it would be too easy to neuter them by killing the Pathfinders. Also, at least one of your Commanders should use the 4x Fusion Blaster loadout (+22). Finally, we can just drop those 4 Marker Drones (-40), if you want more Markerlights it would be easy just to add a few more Pathfinders. And funny that, that brings your list to exactly 2000 points!

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)

Total: 2000 - Command Points: 5 (1 Supreme Command Detachment, 1 Supreme Command Detachment)

-

What do you think?

So for reference the path finders would each be supporting their own respective yvharas so I would rely on the 3 hits to get rid of the movement penalty. Could you tell me why I wouldn't want the counter-fire when yvharas are pumping out so many shots at close range. On the other hand I see the mistake i made with the pathfinders along with the reason in having one commander as an extra heavy hitter.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Aug 01 2017 12:38

CrappingEagle wrote:So for reference the path finders would each be supporting their own respective yvharas so I would rely on the 3 hits to get rid of the movement penalty. Could you tell me why I wouldn't want the counter-fire when yvharas are pumping out so many shots at close range. On the other hand I see the mistake i made with the pathfinders along with the reason in having one commander as an extra heavy hitter.

That makes sense! But remember this- by using the Pathfinders to support a Y'vahra, you're assuming a few things:

1. A squad of 5 Pathfinders can reliably get 3 Markerlight hits
2. Each Pathfinder squad will do this every turn of the game
3. All three Pathfinder squads remain alive during every turn of the game

Sadly, this is just a statistical impossibility. They will be no problem for your enemy to kill, since they are the only infantry on the board. Now, if the Pathfinders were protected by Tidewalls and had much larger numbers, they'd be much more effective... but why bother when we can just buy 12pt Target Locks?

About the Counterfire Defense Systems. Overwatch at full BS is useful... but your main anti-assault weapon, the Y'vahra's armor-piercing flamer, already hits automatically. There's a good chance that the enemy will attempt to charge from outside of 8", so that's already a form of charge defense.

At the end of the day, you will shoot more frequently than you get charged. Which do you want to buff, shooting or charge defense? The Y'vahra's big weakness is actually long-ranged anti-tank fire, which the Counterfire Defense Systems don't help with.

CrappingEagle
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 01 2017 01:08

Arka0415 wrote:
CrappingEagle wrote:So for reference the path finders would each be supporting their own respective yvharas so I would rely on the 3 hits to get rid of the movement penalty. Could you tell me why I wouldn't want the counter-fire when yvharas are pumping out so many shots at close range. On the other hand I see the mistake i made with the pathfinders along with the reason in having one commander as an extra heavy hitter.

That makes sense! But remember this- by using the Pathfinders to support a Y'vahra, you're assuming a few things:

1. A squad of 5 Pathfinders can reliably get 3 Markerlight hits
2. Each Pathfinder squad will do this every turn of the game
3. All three Pathfinder squads remain alive during every turn of the game

Sadly, this is just a statistical impossibility. They will be no problem for your enemy to kill, since they are the only infantry on the board. Now, if the Pathfinders were protected by Tidewalls and had much larger numbers, they'd be much more effective... but why bother when we can just buy 12pt Target Locks?

About the Counterfire Defense Systems. Overwatch at full BS is useful... but your main anti-assault weapon, the Y'vahra's armor-piercing flamer, already hits automatically. There's a good chance that the enemy will attempt to charge from outside of 8", so that's already a form of charge defense.

At the end of the day, you will shoot more frequently than you get charged. Which do you want to buff, shooting or charge defense? The Y'vahra's big weakness is actually long-ranged anti-tank fire, which the Counterfire Defense Systems don't help with.

I think the major thing i forgot when making the list, were the odds of pathfinders, also the flamers on the yvharas are ridiculously good for flamers

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Aug 01 2017 01:42

CrappingEagle wrote:I think the major thing i forgot when making the list, were the odds of pathfinders, also the flamers on the yvharas are ridiculously good for flamers

Pathfinder accuracy is... really a sticking point for us Tau. Instead, why not take a single squad of Pathfinders? You could fire the Markerlights in 2s or 3s, which statistically offers a very good chance of getting 1 Markerlight hit on each target, and thus getting re-rolling ones. With the remaining points, you could buy some backfield Fire Warriors, or Kroot... maybe consider a list like this:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS (156)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 3x Rail Rifles (137)

Total: 1997 - Command Points: 5 (1 Supreme Command Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

I switched to Missile Pods for one Commander, and Rail Rifles on the Pathfinders, to try and give the list a little more long-range firepower. With all of those Y'vahras flying around, the enemy's deployment zone is going to get crowded! :D

Return to “Cadre Building”