Thunderstrike Vengeance Contingent: 2000pt ITC List

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
GuidingOlive
Shas'Saal

Thunderstrike Vengeance Contingent: 2000pt ITC List

Post#1 » Aug 02 2017 12:57

So for full Transparency this is a list that was taken to BAO by myself. It contains Commander Spam and Drone Spam with a Y'Vahra for tasting. Now I am presenting it to this group to get some differing opinions on how this list could be more effective. This is because while I felt it performed up to my skill limiter I like taking things apart and building them up to make them better. Therefore.

Thunderstrike Vengeance Contingent
Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [27 PL, 564pts]

HQ
Cadre Fireblade: Markerlight, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

Commander: 3x Cyclic ion blaster, Multi-tracker, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

Commander: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [42 PL, 870pts]

HQ
Commander: 3x Cyclic ion blaster, Drone controller, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

Fast Attack
Tactical Drones: 4x MV1 Gun Drone
Tactical Drones: 9x MV1 Gun Drone

XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit: Advanced targeting system, Target lock

Dedicated Transport
TY7 Devilfish : 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Burst Cannon

Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [27 PL, 564pts]

HQ
Cadre Fireblade: Markerlight, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

Commander: 4x Fusion blaster, MV1 Gun Drone

XV 86 Coldstar Commander: High Output Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Advanced Targeting System, Shield Generator

Ok so, 2 Supreme Command Detachments and an Outrider Detachment is one of my first problems. There are tournaments already banning the Supreme Command Detachment or limiting it. I also feel that the Y'Vahra did not perform well enough to maintain it's position in this list. There's just so many more good things for the 400+ points that it is. Now I am fully invested in keeping 7 drops for personal reasons as well as game reasons. 7 drops allows me to negate the first turn advantage pretty well. Then my counterstrike is significant and usually crippling. Now within those parameters, I would like to ask The Greater Good for assistance in shaping up this list to be even better. I already have some ideas but I definitely want to see other opinions.
The game plan for this list for those that aren't in the know is to have 3 crippling turns. 1 where the Commanders Drop, 1 where the Devilfish Deploys, and 1 where the Commanders pop Master of War. It's a lot of S5 and S7 spam with Quad Fusion for the really beefy targets. And it's not about marker support, 2 markers means I'm only rerolling 1's on 2 targets. But anyway, Thank you All for your Help to the Greater Good. Have a Nice Day.

Sunaj
Shas

Re: Thunderstrike Vengeance Contingent: 2000pt ITC List

Post#2 » Aug 02 2017 02:09

Not to nitpick too much, but could you explain how you get 7 drops? Are you referring to ' deep-striking' units? If so, then I propose the following:

Supreme Command

5 Commander: 3 CIB, multi tracker, 2 gun drones

Battalion

CadreFB
QFC, 2 shield drones
Coldstar Cmdr: HOBC, MP, shield gen, ATS

Breachers x5
2 Strike teams: 5 FW

2 Pathfinder teams: 5 Tau each
Drones x4

Hammerhead: Rail, 2 GD, 2 seekers

3 Devilfish: BC, 2 GD, 2 seekers

Cost: 1932, leaving you with 68 points to spend on gun drones, fire warriors and pathfinders. Total deployment drops are slightly increased from 11 to 14.

P.S. I still can't figure out how you get 7 drops

knute
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 02 2017 05:47

Who is banning the SAC Detachment? Seems a strange thing to ban since it's in the core rulebook.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Aug 02 2017 09:26

This list definitely doesn't have 7 drops, though you may be referring to 7 units deployed on the table I assume? Can you be a little clearer as to what tactics you intend to use?

EDIT: You definitely were talking about limiting units on the table, right? Anyway, this is a solid list. Not entirely sure where the various Drone squads are going, but otherwise you might want to consider two things:

1. A single Devilfish is going to be a very, very easy target to kill since your enemy will have turn 1. Don't expect it to live very long, as practically the entire enemy army will probably be shooting at it.

2. Replace those Multi-Trackers with ATS! You'll get way more effective firepower for just a few more points!

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 02 2017 09:35

Arka0415 wrote:This list definitely doesn't have 7 drops, though you may be referring to 7 units deployed on the table I assume? Can you be a little clearer as to what tactics you intend to use?

EDIT: You definitely were talking about limiting units on the table, right? Anyway, this is a solid list. Not entirely sure where the various Drone squads are going, but otherwise you might want to consider two things:

1. A single Devilfish is going to be a very, very easy target to kill since your enemy will have turn 1. Don't expect it to live very long, as practically the entire enemy army will probably be shooting at it.

2. Replace those Multi-Trackers with ATS! You'll get way more effective firepower for just a few more points!

The problem with dropping multitrackers is that he's clearly running basically no marker support which in my opinion is foolish. You'll want the ability to put 3 markers on squads occasionally to limit the benefit of cover in a tournament setting but MOSTLY spread that RR1's as much as you can. Plus this way you can get more bodies since holding objectives is basically impossible with this list.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Aug 02 2017 10:09

Yojimbob wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:This list definitely doesn't have 7 drops, though you may be referring to 7 units deployed on the table I assume? Can you be a little clearer as to what tactics you intend to use?

The problem with dropping multitrackers is that he's clearly running basically no marker support which in my opinion is foolish. You'll want the ability to put 3 markers on squads occasionally to limit the benefit of cover in a tournament setting but MOSTLY spread that RR1's as much as you can. Plus this way you can get more bodies since holding objectives is basically impossible with this list.

I agree. I mean, personally I'd add a bunch of Markerlights to this list, but keeping it largely the way GuidingOlive had it I think ATS is better than MT even in the absence of Markerlights.

If we go ahead and edit it to be more competitive though, I agree- it would be better to have some backfield Markerlight capacity. Possibly worth dropping the Devilfish squad, in favor for Pathfinders and more Gun Drones.

GuidingOlive
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 03 2017 09:19

So after some due rest and recovery, I've come back to comment. First, it has been well noted that I messed up. I'm still used to 7th edition drops being the nomenclature. I do mean 7 Deepstriking units.

Now there's a lot of talk about why I have such little marker support. It comes down to the lack of usefulness that they present. Outside of rerolling 1's, I have very little interest in spending unnecessary points on markers. It taking 4 and 5 to respectively deny cover and get +1 it takes more to get to that level across multiple units than I'm willing to spend. A difference of list philosophy but I've always enjoyed lower marker counts than most.

However, to take things into consideration. I've spent the better part of the week redesigning the list with these ideas in mind.

Change Log
-Y'Vahra
-Coldstar Commander
+Markers
=Damage
+Distractifex
+Survivability Against Smites = More Models (this is my personal one because Demon Smite Spam is very painful)

Now I thank you for your comments, by all means I appreciate more feedback. Ultimately this will make a better list that will be well suited for the next tournament I go to. Thank you all at the Greater Good. Have a Nice Day.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Aug 04 2017 09:30

GuidingOlive wrote:So after some due rest and recovery, I've come back to comment. First, it has been well noted that I messed up. I'm still used to 7th edition drops being the nomenclature. I do mean 7 Deepstriking units.

Now there's a lot of talk about why I have such little marker support. It comes down to the lack of usefulness that they present. Outside of rerolling 1's, I have very little interest in spending unnecessary points on markers. It taking 4 and 5 to respectively deny cover and get +1 it takes more to get to that level across multiple units than I'm willing to spend. A difference of list philosophy but I've always enjoyed lower marker counts than most.

However, to take things into consideration. I've spent the better part of the week redesigning the list with these ideas in mind.

Change Log
-Y'Vahra
-Coldstar Commander
+Markers
=Damage
+Distractifex
+Survivability Against Smites = More Models (this is my personal one because Demon Smite Spam is very painful)

Now I thank you for your comments, by all means I appreciate more feedback. Ultimately this will make a better list that will be well suited for the next tournament I go to. Thank you all at the Greater Good. Have a Nice Day.

Can you post up your new list so we can take a look? Thanks!

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Aug 05 2017 10:18

Can't add much to the discussion here, but I can translate Thunderstrike Vengeance Contingent -
Ayanga’ka J’intsi Tio’ve

Good luck with your list. Looking forward to see photos of your army in action!
TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

GuidingOlive
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Aug 06 2017 12:02

Sorry, I was putting that log down as things that needed changed. This is the new list that has been modified based upon those changes.

Thunderstrike Revenge Contingent (104PL, 1995 pts, 6 Command Points)
Supreme Command Detachment
HQ
Commander [2x Mv1 Gun Drone] [4x Fusion Blaster]

Commander [2x Mv1 Gun Drone] [4x Fusion Blaster]

Commander [2x Mv1 Gun Drone] [3x Cyclic Ion Blaster, Multi-tracker]

Elite
XV95 Ghostkeel [2x MV5 Stealth Drone] [Advanced Targeting System, Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Flamers, Target Lock]

Vanguard Detachment
HQ

Elites
XV9 Hazard Support Team [3x Mv7 Marker Drones] [Drone Controller, 2x Pulse Submunitions Rifle]

XV9 Hazard Support Team [3x Mv7 Marker Drones] [Advanced Targeting System, 2x Pulse Submunitions Rifle]

XV9 Hazard Support Team [3x Mv7 Marker Drones] [Advanced Targeting System, 2x Pulse Submunitions Rifle]

Outrider Detachment
HQ
Cadre Fireblade [2x MV1 Gun Drone] [Markerlight, Pulse Rifle, Photon Grenades]

Cadre Fireblade [2x MV1 Gun Drone] [Markerlight, Pulse Rifle, Photon Grenades]

Fast Attack
Tactical Drones [4x MV7 Marker Drone]

Tactical Drones [4x MV1 Gun Drone]

Tactical Drones [5x MV1 Gun Drone]

Dedicated Transport
TY7 Devilfish [2x MV1 Gun Drone] [Burst Cannon]

Return to “Cadre Building”