New to Tau, building a 1000 pt list.

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
ohitikta
Shas

New to Tau, building a 1000 pt list.

Post#1 » Aug 04 2017 07:39

Hello ATT,

I am returning to 40k after playing heavily in 5th edition. I have never played Tau, but having just finished a tyranid army that is heavy on CC with genestealers and trygons I'm drawn to Tau for the cool models and utterly different tactics. I am building a 1000 point army as a project, and I want the army to be a good core for potential expansion since the more I read about the Tau, the more likely it seems that I may make them my main army.

The local meta is heavy in Space Marines from the classic chapters and Chaos Marines with Khorne and Nurgle being the main focus.

Please take a look at my plans and please let me know improvements you see or let me know anything you think would be helpful now or as I expand the list. I currently own an unassembled Commander, two boxes of Stealth Suits, and a box of pathfinders, so I am very flexible as to what I can still add.

Tau Army 8th edition 996 points

Vanguard Detachment +1CP

HQ
Commander 176pts
4xFusion
2xgun drones
Elites
XV25 Stealth battlesuits x3 90 pts
3x burst cannons
XV25 Stealth Battlesuits x3 90 pts
3x burst cannons
XV8 Crisis Battlesuits x3 323pts
8x CIB, drone controller
6x Gun Drones
XV95 Ghostkeel 177pts
CIR, 2x burst cannon, ATS, EWO
2x stealth drones
Fast Attack
Pathfinder Team x5 68 pts
3x ion rifles, 2x carbine/ML
2x gun drones
Pathfinder Team x7 72pts
7x carbine/ML
2x gun drones

My intent on tactics should be pretty simple to see, the Ghostkeel is intented to be flank protection from Deep Strikes with the EWO, so if there is something else that would be better in a list this size please let me know. Thanks in advance.
“Uzani, his army with fists closed.”

Antao
Shas'Saal

Re: New to Tau, building a 1000 pt list.

Post#2 » Aug 04 2017 08:55

So I see a few things worth mentioning:

1. I'm a little concerned by your lack of heavy duty tank removal guns. I know overcharged CIB's can function in this role but I've found the FB to be far better. I would think about dropping a CIB on each of the suits and replacing it with a FB.

2. The other thing I'm seeing is a lack of fire warriors, the gun drones may do the job but right now this army has a very "elite" feel to it. Hoards of anything might be a little difficult to bring down with so many points invested into things that are inefficient at taking out light infantry (like the second stealth unit). I'd probably move the DC from the crisis to a stealth 'vre with a FB.

Of course if you do this you're going to have to re-work the list to try to fill a brigade which mean's including another HQ, but a fireblade is pretty cheap.

ohitikta
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 04 2017 09:12

Antao wrote:So I see a few things worth mentioning:

1. I'm a little concerned by your lack of heavy duty tank removal guns. I know overcharged CIB's can function in this role but I've found the FB to be far better. I would think about dropping a CIB on each of the suits and replacing it with a FB.

2. The other thing I'm seeing is a lack of fire warriors, the gun drones may do the job but right now this army has a very "elite" feel to it. Hoards of anything might be a little difficult to bring down with so many points invested into things that are inefficient at taking out light infantry (like the second stealth unit). I'd probably move the DC from the crisis to a stealth 'vre with a FB.

Of course if you do this you're going to have to re-work the list to try to fill a brigade which mean's including another HQ, but a fireblade is pretty cheap.

I could drop one stealth team and get the points to change the load out on the crisis suits to 2xCIB and FB for each, while adding a 9 man fire warrior team with pulse rifles. This would still fit as a Vanguard. Would that be enough of a tweak for the problems you see or would more work need to be done?
“Uzani, his army with fists closed.”

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 04 2017 09:15

At 1000 points I disagree. I feel like one QFC and a squad of CIB crisis is perfectly fine plus the keel. I will say that even rail rifles on pathfinders does more against tanks than you expect because of the ap -4 even if it does only wound on a 5+ so if you can sneak some in there it does great against heavy infantry as well as rip tanks apart. I'll take wounding on a 5+ over your opponent getting any kind of armor save every day of the week.

Return to “Cadre Building”