yet another competitive attempt 2000 points

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
AN'SHI
Shas

yet another competitive attempt 2000 points

Post#1 » Aug 04 2017 01:39

HQ

Commander – fusion x4, shield drone x2
Commander – missile pod x3, ats
Commander Cold star- highyeild burst cannon are and shield gen
Ethereal, x2 shield drones

Elite

Xv9 – double barrel burst cannon, drone controller, gun drones x4
Stealth suits x3 –burst cannons x3, homing beacon, multi tracker, x2 gun drones
Xv8 battle suit x4 – plasma x 11, drone controller, gun drones x8

Heavy

Broadsides x3 – rail gun x3, sms x6, shield drones x2, velocity tracker x3

So game plan is stealth suits set up in the front to allow for homing beacon to let me drop fusion commander where needed. They are also used to keep deep striking things away from me, and they are just good.

Broadsides stand back and destroy heavy stuff as needed and their sms do a good number on horde, all supported by an ethereal for re-roll 1’s and my commander to make them re-roll all on the first turn.

I have 3 commanders coming from the sky and xv9 from the sky.

This list is fairly mobile can do well against heavy armor, elite and horde lists. Looking at 10 drops

I know what your all thinking no marker lights this guy is just crazy, but when I last used marker lights I was not impressed now I am not saying they are not good I just have not had real good experience with them, Also I wanted to make a competitive list that does not rely on them mind you if you think I need them please let me know.

I am going competitive here so please let me know what you think

1999 points

5 command points
Vanguard detachment
Supreme commander detachment
Last edited by AN'SHI on Aug 05 2017 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: yet another competitive attempt 2000 points

Post#2 » Aug 04 2017 02:38

AN'SHI wrote:HQ

Commander – missile pod x3, ats
Commander – Missile pod x3, ats
Ethereal, x2 shield drones

Elite

Xv9 – double barrel burst cannon, drone controller, gun drones x4
Xv8 battle suit x4 – plasma x 11, drone controller, gun drones x8

Heavy

Broadsides x3 – rail gun x3, sms x6, shield drones x2, velocity tracker x3

So game plan is stealth suits set up in the front to allow for homing beacon to let me drop fusion commander where needed. They are also used to keep deep striking things away from me, and they are just good.

Broadsides stand back and destroy heavy stuff as needed and their sms do a good number on horde, all supported by an ethereal for re-roll 1’s and my commander to make them re-roll all on the first turn.

I have 3 commanders coming from the sky and xv9 from the sky.

This list is fairly mobile can do well against heavy armor, elite and horde lists. Looking at 10 drops

I know what your all thinking no marker lights this guy is just crazy, but when I last used marker lights I was not impressed now I am not saying they are not good I just have not had real good experience with them, Also I wanted to make a competitive list that does not rely on them mind you if you think I need them please let me know.

I am going competitive here so please let me know what you think

1999 points

5 command points
Vanguard detachment
Supreme commander detachment

Competitive lists do not have any broadsides let alone 3. Also, go CIB or flamer/fusion on your crisis. Max drones on every squad that can take them and yes, you're a fool if you don't take markerlights somewhere. Not everyone can USE the 1 ethereal's buffs while also controlling the rest of the board to reroll 1's. He's good for a gunline but not for suits like this. You can do marker drones on some squads with a DC somewhere so that you can avoid pathfinders but that's up to you. But also, feel free to play it and let us know what you think too.

GuidingOlive
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 04 2017 07:08

I would actually counter taking full gun drone squads on every squad. While in theory that may sound beneficial, once you get up to 4 you're risking losing 1 to morale and you need every single drone you can spare. Now in squads of 3 or 2 they work fantastically as the odds of them dying to morale are limited since they will most often die against enemy fire. Basically my rule is that they should never die to the morale check because that's an extra body that you could've had against a shot. And once you lose 2-3 it really hits home.
Now you can make a Spearhead, Vanguard, and Supreme Command Detachment out of this. Yes build for every CP you can get. 3 Commanders in the Supreme Command, and split the other 2 HQs. You split up the Broadsides and give them 2 Gun Drones or Marker Drones to keep them all at 2 man squads. This creates the Spearhead.
Now playing a very light marker style myself, you need more multitrackers on things. The difference is insane how much that helps when you're rolling 6 dice. Having even 1 failure statistically burns. And when you're fighting T8 (heavy vehicles, Knights, etc.) you need every shot. There are lists that will have more T8 than your Fusion commanders can handle and they do need support.
In a contrast though, with the list you're running you should be running more markers. You have a lot of BS4+ things and you are going to need to get up to that BS increase simply because Tau can't perform without it. Taking a leaf out of Paul McKelvey's book, if you can't put 5 markers on 3 targets your army is going to suffer because of how it's designed. To be competitive you need to have everything be at maximum effectiveness and Broadsides are not without the support.
To talk about Broadsides though, you have better Broadsides in the Tau army. They're XV9's. Same T -1 Wound -1 Save Higher Move Deep Strike capabilities and Fusion Cascades, the shorter range Fusion Collider that's assault. Oh and they're quite a chunk cheaper. Through on Shield Generators to make them thorns in an enemy's flank with 4 Gun Drones so you can put the real hurt on. And if you're worried about range, don't be. From my experience there's never been a time where I wasn't getting into range of someone or them getting into range of me.
Now I agree with the previous comment that you're free to try it. I've been adapting my lists this past week since the BAO to suit what I think my playstyle will be this current edition. And be diligent. Play it a few times before making a decision. Dice will forever rule this game so what you may find on the table one game may not be representative of the next.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#4 » Aug 05 2017 02:09

I'd always take Drone units of 4 EXCEPT on Crisis Suit units. Why? Because you can drop those Drones infront of your enemy together with your Crisis Suits.
If you split them and take a second smaller unit instead you would have to walk them up the field to your Crisis which takes time and while they are on their way they won't do their job of protecting the Crisis.

AN'SHI
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 05 2017 10:43

Thanks for the reply folks. I did max drones on all units and took a cold star I think I'll be taking 2 next time they are great! Montka!

After the game a played I have decided to drop all broad sides and pick up another cold star that is 378 points freed up what do you think I should take.

The xv8 plas did pretty good and their 8 drones were good also

But what to drop I want scary competitive help a brother tau :)

Return to “Cadre Building”