750pt New Player League

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Impulse
Shas'Saal

750pt New Player League

Post#1 » Aug 06 2017 02:13

So! The 500pt League at my LGS ended, and a 750pt League begins! I'd like help adding a Ghostkeel, Broadside or Riptide to my list, and in understanding the ins and outs of all their options.

The original thread:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=26047

Here's what I own, all of which are magnetized:

1 box of Pathfinders
2 boxes of Fire Warriors (one model converted to Cadre Fireblade)
1 box of Stealth Suits
1 Commander

Here's where we ended up with the 500 point list:

HQ: Commander: 172
-4x Fusion Blasters
-2x Shield Drones

Troops: Strike Team: 72
-8x Fire Warriors w/ Pulse Rifles
-1x Fire Warrior Shas'ui w/ Pulse Rifle, Pulse Pistol

Elites: Stealthsuits: 108
-2x Stealthsuits w/ Burst Cannons
-1x Stealthsuit Shas'vre w/ Burst Cannon, Multi-Tracker
-2x Gun Drones w/ 2x Pulse Carbines

Fast Attack: Pathfinders: 72
-3x Pathfinders w/ Pulse Carbine, Markerlight
-1x Pathfinder Shas'ui w/ Pulse Carbine, Markerlight, Pulse Pistol
-2x Pathfinders w/ Ion Rifles

I'd like a balanced list, but it doesn't need to be super crazy tournament honed or anything.
Last edited by Impulse on Aug 07 2017 09:39, edited 5 times in total.

CrappingEagle
Shas

Re: 750pt New Player League

Post#2 » Aug 06 2017 02:16

If you have drones put shield drones on the commander

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 06 2017 02:19

CrappingEagle wrote:If you have drones put shield drones on the commander

You'll want to check this thread out to bring yourself up to speed.

Drones come in all the boxes I listed.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Aug 07 2017 04:36

Impulse wrote:I'd like a balanced list with as few models as possible.

Are you looking to change the army so it has very few models, i.e. no infantry, Riptide, etc.? Or just keep the army size small?

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 07 2017 09:11

I'd prefer a mostly Battlesuit army! I'm not going to be aiming to take down any tournaments, but I would like to not totally embarass myself week to week.

I'm fine with adding some Vespids or Kroot, but completely disinterested in vehicles.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 07 2017 09:17

Impulse wrote:I'd prefer a mostly Battlesuit army! I'm not going to be aiming to take down any tournaments, but I would like to not totally embarass myself week to week.

I'm fine with adding some Vespids or Kroot, but completely disinterested in vehicles.

Well then your best bet would be to concentrate on Commander, Stealth Suits and Stormsurge (although it technically is not a Battlesuit). A unit of Crisis wouldn't hurt either. However you'll need a lot of Drones. A Battlesuit list without Drones won't do good in most games. Gun or Shield Drones on your Crisis and Commander, units of 4 Marker Drones near your Stealth Suits with Drone Controller.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 07 2017 09:24

I really hate moving a billion pieces around the table, to be honest. And while I'm saving up for a Storm Surge, really only a Broadside, Commander, Ghostkeel or Riptide are within my range.

I'm going to edit my OP since I feel like I could word it better.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 07 2017 09:30

Well that's up to you, but if you only go with Battlesuits and no or very few Drones you won't have much fun in your games.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Aug 07 2017 09:34

That's not a very kind take on my sportsmanship!

Seriously though, it's also vague. Could you elaborate?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Aug 07 2017 09:40

Well what can I say that didn't already get said?
Drones make your Battlesuits survive longer, add bodies to claim objectives/prevent charges/create a bigger zone to deny reserves.
Gun Drones are also extremely cheap for the amount of damage they do.
Marker Drones (if you don't take Pathfinder) are pretty much a must have unless you want to waste hardpoints for specific Support Systems (like Target Lock or Multi-tracker).

Without Drones your Battlesuits will die much faster, will cover less ground and also will do less damage (no re-rolling 1s, suffering from movement penalty on heavy weapons, no ignore cover).

The armies are designed to work best if you go with a balanced approach and include different kind of units. That goes especially for T'au who always were the strongest when you combine different units. If you limit yourself to only one kind of unit and disregard everything else you are obviously gimping yourself and will have a much harder time to win games.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Aug 07 2017 09:42

I'm not super concerned with winning.

This is a league for novice players to muck about. I want to try stuff that appeals to me, but not have a total doo-doo list.

To be clear, I'll run all the drones I happen to own, but I'm not buying any loose or getting kits just for drones. Although, if Crisis suits are legit then I could see getting a Start Collecting box.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Aug 07 2017 09:50

To be clear, when I talk about winning I'm not talking about steam rolling your opponent. With just Battlesuits and Drones it still will be hard enough for you. With just Battlesuits and no proper amount of Drones you would very likely, as you put it, "embarass yourself from week to week".
Unless of course your opponents play similarly restricted lists.

I'm not saying you should go and buy Drone packs, just that when you write lists you shouldn't pack it full with Battlesuits without thinking about Drones. If you already do that, then it's fine.

Crisis are legit but they are very expensive for what they do. I like to play a unit with double Flamer+ATS or tripple Flamer and 6 Shield Drones. For everything else I'd consider Commander the better choice (unless you think you need more than 2 Drones on the drop to protect your Commander).

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Aug 07 2017 07:47

Impulse wrote:I'm not super concerned with winning.

This is a league for novice players to muck about. I want to try stuff that appeals to me, but not have a total doo-doo list.

To be clear, I'll run all the drones I happen to own, but I'm not buying any loose or getting kits just for drones. Although, if Crisis suits are legit then I could see getting a Start Collecting box.

The issue isn't about winning- rather, battlesuits simply aren't useful unless they have Drones to protect them. A single Lascannon can easily kill an XV8, so you'll need Drones to keep them alive.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Aug 07 2017 07:53

Impulse wrote:So! The 500pt League at my LGS ended, and a 750pt League begins! I'd like help adding a Ghostkeel, Broadside or Riptide to my list, and in understanding the ins and outs of all their options.

The original thread:

Here's what I own, all of which are magnetized:

1 box of Pathfinders
2 boxes of Fire Warriors (one model converted to Cadre Fireblade)
1 box of Stealth Suits
1 Commander

Here's where we ended up with the 500 point list:

HQ: Commander: 172
-4x Fusion Blasters
-2x Shield Drones

Elites: Stealthsuits: 108
-2x Stealthsuits w/ Burst Cannons
-1x Stealthsuit Shas'vre w/ Burst Cannon, Multi-Tracker

Fast Attack: Pathfinders: 72
-3x Pathfinders w/ Pulse Carbine, Markerlight
-1x Pathfinder Shas'ui w/ Pulse Carbine, Markerlight, Pulse Pistol
-2x Pathfinders w/ Ion Rifles

I'd like a balanced list, but it doesn't need to be super crazy tournament honed or anything.

If you're thinking about a 750pt list and you want to use a big battlesuit, consider a Ghostkeel. It's not amazing, but it's a solid choice especially in small games. Let's add some units and see what the list looks like for now:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons; 2x Gun Drones (106)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (181)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 3x Rail Rifles (122)

That's a total of 585 points. Even with a Ghostkeel, I don't think you can make a battlesuit-heavy list at 750 points with your current models, since you mainly own infantry.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Aug 09 2017 07:49

Arka0415 wrote:

The issue isn't about winning- rather, battlesuits simply aren't useful unless they have Drones to protect them. A single Lascannon can easily kill an XV8, so you'll need Drones to keep them alive.

"Easily" is a bit of a stretch since it's ~7.40% for a SM and ~5.55% for a guard to shoot and kill an xv8 with a single shot. Expected damage per shot is ~1.55 and ~1.16 respectively so you CAN expect them to tank several shots per guy before they bite it.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Aug 09 2017 08:15

Yojimbob wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

"Easily" is a bit of a stretch since it's ~7.40% for a SM and ~5.55% for a guard to shoot and kill an xv8 with a single shot. Expected damage per shot is ~1.55 and ~1.16 respectively so you CAN expect them to tank several shots per guy before they bite it.

Marines have Lascannons as well. Tri-LasPreds and Lascannon Devastators for example. ;)

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Aug 09 2017 08:57

Panzer wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

Marines have Lascannons as well. Tri-LasPreds and Lascannon Devastators for example. ;)

Marines are the first entry on both stats abbreviated to SM. Sorry for any confusion.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Aug 09 2017 09:03

Ah I just missed the "SM" and only read "Guard". My bad. ^^

Return to “Cadre Building”