Competitive army 2k no more Mr nice guy :)

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
AN'SHI
Shas

Competitive army 2k no more Mr nice guy :)

Post#1 » Aug 06 2017 07:43

Ok so now having a few games under my belt I have to say commanders, commanders and more commanders here is what I feel is a competitive all comers list

HQ 1181
Commander 176 - fusion x4 shield drones x2
Commander coldstar 150 - missile pod, high yield burst cannon, ats, shield generator - leader with 6+ fnp
Commander coldstar 150 - missile pod, high yield burst cannon, ats, shield
Commander 154 - cib x3 are shield drones x2, ats
Commander 154 - cib x3 are shield drones x2 , ats
Ethereal 45

Elite 505
Xv9 130 - double barrel burst cannon, drone controller, x4 gun drones
Stealth suite x3 (132), burst cannon x3, homing beacon, gun drones x2, multi tracker x3
Stealth suite x3 (132) - burst cannon x3, homing beacon gun drones x2, multi tracker x3
Stealth suite x3 (111) - burst cannon x3, gun drones x2, drone controller

Troop 186
Fire warriors x5 (63)- marker drones x2, marker light
Fire warriors x5 (63) - marker drones x2, marker light
Fire warriors x5 (60) - marker drones x2

Fast 128
Gun drones x4 (32)
Gun drones x4 (32)
Pathfinder x5 (64) - gun drones x2, pulse accelator drone

8 battle points
Supreme command detachment
Vanguard detachment
Battalion detachment

Game plan is my stealth suit with the drone controller is in charge of all gun drones and marker drones stay in my line defence and take point while giving me some nice marker hits

2 stealth suits with beacons set up close to the front and drop beacons where needed for my alpha strike not to mention providing support fire

Cold stars are for horde and turn 1 charge of vehicles to make sure they don't shoot me back and call out montka for a huge charge 40" and 2 d6 charge unless I'm reading it wrong since I advance and count ad not having moved I can charge

Quad fusion do what they do best drop then pop similar to cub commanders

3 troops for battalion detachment not to metion marker and my line support ethereal for the leadership and re-roll 1s to hit

Pathfinders for extra marker light support.

I may never go first but I can hide a good portion of my units and my alpha strike is real strong.

So what do you find tau commanders think?
Last edited by AN'SHI on Aug 07 2017 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

Crom
Shas

Re: Competitive army 2k no more Mr nice guy :)

Post#2 » Aug 06 2017 11:08

I like the concept. For competitive, I would consider trying to lessen your drops and kill points.

Do you want all these small 2 man drone units that are easy first blood kills and kill points?

I would consider rolling them all into the bigger drone squads. Specifically the stealth suit drones. If they will have the commanders dropping in, the shield drones they bring can be used for saviour protocols and those small stealth squads are easy to hide out of line of sight with most terrain.

Morale could be an issue with the drones, but since you're taking an ethereal I think this gives you flexibility to take them.

Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Aug 06 2017 11:24

I would recommend change the aim of your XV9s either way place them with ATS or CFDS drop the gun drones and make them shield drones. Trust me those feel no pains work wonders.

I just ran a very similar list with less commanders and a y'vahara instead works wonders yesterday i wiped out 2000 points of primaris with Robute included at the Konor Campaign.

The suggestion from Crom is also very accurate units of 2 drones that come with commanders are very vulnerable and easy kills for the enemy take all your non deep strike drones in a single drone unit that can be cleverly placed 3in to many units for wound support.

I think you cold to very well against multiple enemies I would recommend to always pair Burst Cannons with ATS's str 5 Ap -1 is fantastic in this edition.

Also i guess your CIB commanders come with ATS given the 3 CIBS if its like that consider them using 2 and also CFDS with them its damn useful in many situations.

Thanks for sharing this list hope you can tell us how it worked out for you
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 5000 PTS

AN'SHI
Shas

Post#4 » Aug 08 2017 08:47

So based on what I read I will need to find a way to drop my drop count. I could drop the fire warriors take a devil fish and 3 units of 4 marker drones and put them in the devil fish

I like the xv9 and drone shooting output 32 st 5 shots is still pretty darn good.

Doing the above gives me a few extra points as id probably drop the ethreal so I can add 2 stealth suits and give all those stealth suits ats instead of multi tracker. Also I amended the list to show ats on the cold star

Those cold star are slowly becoming my favourite units. I mean with montka I can fly 40" so get to anywhere I need to be and charge things to make them stop shooting like heavy weapons team and still being safe as they would need 6's to hit when I charge. Also to add when people think tau they never consider them charging. My tau will charge all day long if they have To!

Making me consider farsight.... hmmm

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 08 2017 11:40

AN'SHI wrote:So based on what I read I will need to find a way to drop my drop count. I could drop the fire warriors take a devil fish and 3 units of 4 marker drones and put them in the devil fish

I like the xv9 and drone shooting output 32 st 5 shots is still pretty darn good.

Doing the above gives me a few extra points as id probably drop the ethreal so I can add 2 stealth suits and give all those stealth suits ats instead of multi tracker. Also I amended the list to show ats on the cold star

Those cold star are slowly becoming my favourite units. I mean with montka I can fly 40" so get to anywhere I need to be and charge things to make them stop shooting like heavy weapons team and still being safe as they would need 6's to hit when I charge. Also to add when people think tau they never consider them charging. My tau will charge all day long if they have To!

You have about 16 drops. Reducing it by one or two won't change much.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially since there are enough tournaments out there who simply give a modifier to the steal-initiative roll instead of making it completely dependent on the drops to prevent Knight lists going first all the time (not sure if I agree with that houserule though but it's there).

Mont'ka: Just because it allows you to advance&shoot it doesn't mean it allows you to advance&charge. No 40" move + charge for your Coldstar.

AN'SHI
Shas

Post#6 » Aug 09 2017 09:27

Panzer wrote:
AN'SHI wrote:So based on what I read I will need to find a way to drop my drop count. I could drop the fire warriors take a devil fish and 3 units of 4 marker drones and put them in the devil fish

I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially since there are enough tournaments out there who simply give a modifier to the steal-initiative roll instead of making it completely dependent on the drops to prevent Knight lists going first all the time (not sure if I agree with that houserule though but it's there).

Mont'ka: Just because it allows you to advance&shoot it doesn't mean it allows you to advance&charge. No 40" move + charge for your Coldstar.

RAW I would say it allows you to charge. the wording is " Friendly sept units within 6" can both advance and shoot as if they hadn't moved this turn" so for both advancing and shooting it counts as if they hadn't moved so I don't see why I would not be allowed to charge?

I discussed this with a friend of mine prior to our game and he based on the wording, agreed and he was my opponent :P

Ill post this up on the discussion and see what people tend to say.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 09 2017 09:50

No, that's not how english works. That's definitely not RAW.
RAW you can advance&shoot as if you hadn't moved. Read: no penalties for Assault weapons, no penalties for moving with Heavy weapons and the ability to advance&shoot with Rapid Fire and Heavy weapons in the first place.

You can't just rip the sentence apart like that. It talks about the combination of advancing and shooting, not advancing or shooting seperately. With no word it allows you to advance&charge.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 09 2017 09:53

AN'SHI wrote:
Panzer wrote:

RAW I would say it allows you to charge. the wording is " Friendly sept units within 6" can both advance and shoot as if they hadn't moved this turn" so for both advancing and shooting it counts as if they hadn't moved so I don't see why I would not be allowed to charge?

I discussed this with a friend of mine prior to our game and he based on the wording, agreed and he was my opponent :P

Ill post this up on the discussion and see what people tend to say.

There's a big difference between "counts as haven't moved" and actually used the advance mechanic. If it said "counts as not having advanced even if it had done so" then yes you could. Since it does not and you cannot overrule the main rulebook of not being able to advance and charge without an explicit special rule then I would say that it would be an illegal move.

Return to “Cadre Building”