2000pts - Competitive

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Pilchard
Shas

2000pts - Competitive

Post#1 » Aug 07 2017 05:43

Follwing on from the previous list and what ive learned from playtesting ive had another go at a competitive build. Normal rules, maelstrom missions.

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [19 PL, 367pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, 154pts]: Advanced targeting system, 3x Cyclic ion blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

+ Fast Attack +

TX4 Piranhas [4 PL, 71pts]
. TX4 Piranha w/ BC: Burst cannon, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [21 PL, 462pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, 154pts]: Advanced targeting system, 3x Cyclic ion blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [21 PL, 515pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, 180pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV7 Marker Drone

Commander [7 PL, 180pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV7 Marker Drone

Commander [7 PL, 155pts]: 3x Cyclic ion blaster, Drone controller, 2x MV7 Marker Drone

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [35 PL, 649pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [7 PL, 150pts]: Advanced targeting system, High-output burst cannon, Missile pod, Shield generator

+ Fast Attack +

Tactical Drones [4 PL, 42pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone, MV7 Marker Drone

Tactical Drones [4 PL, 42pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone, MV7 Marker Drone

XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit [20 PL, 415pts]: Advanced targeting system, Target lock

++ Total: [96 PL, 1993pts] ++

The last list lacked speed once the star came down, and I struggled on back objectives by trying to protect all my commanders + yvarah.

The underdog unit i took interest in is the piranha. Cheap, fast, has drones, has anti infantry which the list sometimes struggles with and can be very annoying for my opponent. Placing these infront of my commander star creates 2 targets to get through (itself and drones it drops off when it dies) and can waste a lot of fire on vehicles with multiple weapons which have to declare targets before shooting.

If they survive they can tie up tanks, snipe annoying smite spammers and block charges/movement. I don't know if 3 is too many as i could include more drones to protect the yvarah from the alpha strike as il likely be going second.

Coldstar is something ive always wanted to try, just ordered myself one and been rated high on here, and 40' movement is nothing to ignore.

I know its just commander spam with a few extras but with the tournament scene in my area been very competitive i want the tau to do well!

What do you think?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 2000pts - Competitive

Post#2 » Aug 07 2017 08:11

Honestly, this is a cool list. If I were you though, I'd try to make your Commanders a little more redundant, and I'd add more Shield Drones. Remember, with so many characters your opponent will have little choice about what model to fire at- so make sure your forward units have plenty of durability. Here's a very minorly-changed version of your list:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x CIBs, ATS; 2x Gun Drones (154)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, Drone Controller (153)
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ Shield Generator, ATS (150)
Fast Attack - Piranha; 2x Gun Drones (71)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Target Lock, ATS (415)
Fast Attack - 5x Marker Drones (50)
Fast Attack - 5x Marker Drones (50)

Total: 1999 - Command Points: 7 (2 Supreme Command Detachments, 2 Outrider Detachments)

-

What do you think?

Pilchard
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 08 2017 02:50

My only markerlight source is the drone squads which will probably get shot off the board turn 1, mixing them with gun drones with the deepstriking squads guaranteeds i can get the reroll 1s for the alpha strike. Missile commander i also think it poor, lacking the str and ap of the cib commanders.

I do feel sometimes we lack long range anti tank as a good player will block any chance of getting into 18' range. Things like hammerheads are over pointed and maybe missile commanders deepstriking maybe the answer. Two of them with quad missiles, while expensive could take out a tank turn 1.

The shield drones are good and id like to mix some in to my squads. Just need to get some!

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 08 2017 03:48

Pilchard wrote:My only markerlight source is the drone squads which will probably get shot off the board turn 1, mixing them with gun drones with the deepstriking squads guaranteeds i can get the reroll 1s for the alpha strike. Missile commander i also think it poor, lacking the str and ap of the cib commanders.

I do feel sometimes we lack long range anti tank as a good player will block any chance of getting into 18' range. Things like hammerheads are over pointed and maybe missile commanders deepstriking maybe the answer. Two of them with quad missiles, while expensive could take out a tank turn 1.

The shield drones are good and id like to mix some in to my squads. Just need to get some!

I think missile commanders can be a trap unless you take atleast 4 of them. If you do the math, 2 won't be enough to take out even a Rhino on average. On top of that they are the most expensive loadout.

Tanks can be a good option but you have to commit to them with a Vanguard Detach consisting of Longstrike and atleast 2 (ideally 3) Hammerheads w/ SMS and your choice of loadout. They are markerlight independent (hit on 2s with Longstrike nearby) and can put out a ton of long range damage. Again, you have to build your list around this though.

I like the idea of Piranhas as cheap screens and harassers. Have you tried them out yet? What has been your experience with them?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Aug 08 2017 10:04

Heldericht wrote:I think missile commanders can be a trap unless you take atleast 4 of them. If you do the math, 2 won't be enough to take out even a Rhino on average. On top of that they are the most expensive loadout.

I've had real success using 1 and 2 Commanders w/ 3xMP+ATS. They can't knock out vehicles by themselves, but they can really reliably deal those last 3-4 wounds of damage on an injured vehicle or destroy multi-wound infantry. They're not too bad against Kastellans either.

Pilchard
Shas

Post#6 » Aug 09 2017 02:43

Tanks could be an option but with longstrike + 3 hammerheads it would around 800pts plus i don't have the models, hoping the codex drops a lot of our units points cost or gives us good stratagems.

I may give missiles a try, but going to try this list first.

I only have 1 piranha at the moment, and never fielded them in this edition. So i will update with my findings. They do seem good on paper though.

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 17 2017 06:32

Arka0415 wrote:
Heldericht wrote:I think missile commanders can be a trap unless you take atleast 4 of them. If you do the math, 2 won't be enough to take out even a Rhino on average. On top of that they are the most expensive loadout.

I've had real success using 1 and 2 Commanders w/ 3xMP+ATS. They can't knock out vehicles by themselves, but they can really reliably deal those last 3-4 wounds of damage on an injured vehicle or destroy multi-wound infantry. They're not too bad against Kastellans either.

Fair enough. Their range is nice when zoned out from dropping close enough to do damage with fusions as well.

gualtikhan
Shas

Post#8 » Aug 27 2017 07:51

Hi, awesome list, l really like it and l'm going to play it sometimes but l've changed a couple of things. First of all l really dislike the coldstar, and since the list lack a bit of antinfantry weapons, l would exchange it with a sunshark bomber cause it can really hurt to all those giant mob of Imperial Guardsman, Tzeech Horrors or Brimstones etc... and it can still drop drones and be awesome to shield the commanders. In order to do that l need some point so l don't know if it's best dropping three pirhannas to take also a Ghostkeel, in order to shield my Commanders while still putting out some amount of fire or cut off some drones to get the point l need. What's best in your opinion?

Return to “Cadre Building”