Could this crazy 1500 Pts List work?

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Could this crazy 1500 Pts List work?

Post#1 » Aug 08 2017 12:06

Building my T'aunar I began thinking of possible ways to play it and i came up with this stupid idea:

OUTRIDER DETACHMENT
HQ 1 X Aun'Va with 2 X Ethereal Guard (75 pts)
FA 1 X 10 Shield Drones (80 pts)
FA 1 X 10 Shield Drones (80 pts)
FA 1 X 8 Shield Drones (64 pts)

SUPER-HEAVY AUXILIARY DETACHMENT
LoW 1 X KX 139 T'aunar Supremacy Armour 2 X Tri-Axis Ion Cannon 1 X Pulse Multi Driver System 4 X Smart Missile System 4 X Burst Cannon (1200 pts)

Total 1499 pts

The plan is pretty straight forward. You field two of the drone units, in an open display making a curve that would shield Aun'va, even better if they get cover Then you play on high volume the main theme of Pacific Rim and field the KX 139 behind Aun'va but still in between the two drone units. The last unit of drones is set in reserve to get them close to the KX 139 on turn 2 or 3.

You will have an 84% of chances to start every game with only 5 units to deploy so you start with Aun'va casting the Grand Invocation of the elements you give the Ta'unar re-rolls of 1 and feel no pain. Then the Supremacy BattleSuit rains hell on one or two particular units on the opponent then end the turn and drones take the pain. Rinse and repeat...

Notes:
Drones in reserve get in to annoy the opponent and take more wounds away from the T'unar.
T8 would give good defense against almost all weapons in an 1500 pts game making drones take few wounds.
Aun'va abilities will help a lot to reduce the number of drones lost in the battle shock tests
You may lose some friends or play partners XP

I still don't know how good this could be but i bet it will be a great trolling list.
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 6500 PTS

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Could this crazy 1500 Pts List work?

Post#2 » Aug 08 2017 12:44

Drones can't be placed in reserves, but other than that it seems like a solid list! I'd try to fit some Markerlights in there though- the Tau'nar is the only model in the army that can output damage, so it NEEDS to hit every shot. With that in mind, we should bring a solid number of Marker Drones too- enough to mark up 3 targets (6 Markerlights) and have some redundancy (+3 Markerlights). So let's make each Drone squad have 9 Drones- 3 Marker Drones and 6 Shield Drones. Finally, Aun'va isn't a bad pick for the army, but I think we should drop to a regular Ethereal just to be able to fit in more Drones.

-

HQ - Ethereal (45)
Fast Attack - 7x Shield Drones, 3x Marker Drones (86)
Lord of War - Tau'nar w/ 2x Tri-Axis Ion Cannon, 1x Pulse Multi Driver System, 4x Smart Missile Systems, 4x Burst Cannons (1200)

Total: 1503 - Command Points: 4 (Outrider Detachment, Super Heavy Auxiliary)

-

What do you think?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 08 2017 01:17

You would pretty surely lose on objectives and I highly doubt a Tau'nar alone can table an opponent so I'd say you'd lose more games than you'd win with such a list.

Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Aug 11 2017 11:48

Arka0415 wrote:Drones can't be placed in reserves, but other than that it seems like a solid list! I'd try to fit some Markerlights in there though- the Tau'nar is the only model in the army that can output damage, so it NEEDS to hit every shot. With that in mind, we should bring a solid number of Marker Drones too- enough to mark up 3 targets (6 Markerlights) and have some redundancy (+3 Markerlights). So let's make each Drone squad have 9 Drones- 3 Marker Drones and 6 Shield Drones. Finally, Aun'va isn't a bad pick for the army, but I think we should drop to a regular Ethereal just to be able to fit in more Drones.

-

HQ - Ethereal (45)
Lord of War - Tau'nar w/ 2x Tri-Axis Ion Cannon, 1x Pulse Multi Driver System, 4x Smart Missile Systems, 4x Burst Cannons (1200)

Total: 1503 - Command Points: 4 (Outrider Detachment, Super Heavy Auxiliary)

-

What do you think?

The idea is correct the T'aunar should be the one dishing all the damage but lets remember the T'aunar holds a +2 Ballistic skill from its 30 wounds down to its 12 wounds. So there are only 2 things the T'aunar will get with markerlights re-roll of 1's and ignore cover. The first one can be obtained with Aun'va and the second could not be very significant given the fact that of those 9 marker lights only 3 will hit, average, with the ballistic 5+. I do think the wound absorption the Supremacy Armor can obtain with shield drones could be way more relevant.
N00bie Wargamer

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Aug 11 2017 12:23

It could get blocked in close combat with 1 or 2 units with FLY keyword...

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 11 2017 01:13

150 conscripts

Newtauplayer2016
Shas

Post#7 » Oct 08 2017 04:09

Cadre Fireblade
8X 4 Gun Drones
Tau'nar
- 1498 points

Use Cadre for volume of fire, use gun drones for horde + wrap + saviour protocols.
It will probably loose all games versus anyone who know what they are doing though.

While possibly fun (at least for one of the two playing) I don't see Tau'nar as very competitive.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Oct 10 2017 03:50

Newtauplayer2016 wrote:Cadre Fireblade
8X 4 Gun Drones
Tau'nar
- 1498 points

Use Cadre for volume of fire, use gun drones for horde + wrap + saviour protocols.
It will probably loose all games versus anyone who know what they are doing though.

While possibly fun (at least for one of the two playing) I don't see Tau'nar as very competitive.

In this list though, the Tau'nar needs the Fire and Earth buffs from Aun'va, and every gun in the enemy army is going to open up on that Tau'nar. Shield Drones are going to be necessary.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Oct 10 2017 03:55

Man, I was certain I'd posted a new list here a while ago. Looks like I'm hallucinating. Anyway, Colt, you're right- I was imagining that the Tau'nar would be moving, I assumed it was able to fire at full BS even when on the move. Anyway, since it can't do that, then castling up would be important. With that in mind, the only change I'd make would be to reduce the size of the Shield Drone squads just a little, to avoid morale casualties. Here's what I'd do:

-

HQ - Aun'va; 2x Ethereal Honour Guard (75)
Fast Attack - 7x Shield Drones (56)

Total: 1499 - Command Points: 4 (1 Outrider Detachment, 1 Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment)

-

Not the biggest change in the world, but hey, it's something! What do you think?

Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Nov 17 2017 12:42

Arka0415 wrote:Not the biggest change in the world, but hey, it's something! What do you think?

This could be the bes overall option for the T'aunar yet im right now runing with 3 X 8 Shield Drones and one unit of Tech Drones. So far I have been running this list lately with friends in preparations for a local tourney where ill play the role of the doucehbag. So far vs AdMech and Eldar strong victories by sweeping on my side. Im sure good lists of Nyds and maybe orcs will turn me to shreds, as well as papa smurf or Astra Militarum yet i expect to have tons of fun, ill bring back the reports.

Thanks for the feed back!
N00bie Wargamer

Return to “Cadre Building”