Asking for advice on purchases

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Prometheo
Shas'Saal

Asking for advice on purchases

Post#1 » Aug 09 2017 06:00

Hi everyone.

I'm sorry if this is a recurrent topic but I feel kind of lost right now. I recently started playing Tau and I was planning on getting some more minis for my army as soon as the new edition stabilized.

Previously I was playing a kinda classic Farsight Retaliation Cadre + Drone net army with loads of suits and marker drones. You can guess how well it is working now :D

So... I understand I should aim more for foot troop infantry and would like your input on what to focus.

Right now I have 2 start collecting boxes, a Commander, a Cadre Fireblade, a Riptide and a Broadside, assembled as follows.

· Commander with 4x Missile Pods conversion. He was a buffmander. I guess this can be easily turned into a QFC but I like the whole "shooting from the edge" thing.
· Cadre Fireblade with Markerlight.
· 2 Ethereals, one on hover.
· 6 Crisis suits, assembled as (2x Fusion Blaster), 2x (2x Plasma, Shield), 3x (2x Missile Pods, could go for a third)
· 20 Fire Caste Warriors including 3 Shas'Ui with markerlights and 2 turrets
· Riptide with Ion Accelerator and Fusion Blasters with shielded missile drones
· Broadside with HYMP and MPs with missile drones
· 21 Tactic drones, being 12 marker drones, 8 gun drones and 1 shield drone

I reckon I should go for Stealth suits and Pathfinders and probably change some Marker drones to gun drones. Certainly going for the previous suits-only approach is not getting me anywhere.

Any specific advice?

Antao
Shas'Saal

Re: Asking for advice on purchases

Post#2 » Aug 09 2017 06:20

First and foremost. Rip all the guns and support systems off your suits if possible and magnetize them. You're going to end up doing it someday anyway, might as well start early. There are good guides on this site that explain the process, but it's really not that hard and makes a world of difference. (I'd also suggest magnetizing the drones as well).

Next up on the purchase list I'd say would be minimum 1, if not 2 boxes of pathfinders. If you can find the optimized pathfinder team somewhere still (no longer available on GW site) that would be a way to get yourself a devilfish as well and save some money.

Besides the lack of pathfinders your collection of models is actually in a pretty good place except for some truly sub-optimal weapon choices on the battle-suits. You've really hindered yourself with the plasma / missile pods. The commander should probably be toting either FB's, or CIBs. (Missiles aren't bad on a commander, I just think that should be your second + commander, not on your first) and the suits should be armed with FB's, Flamers, or CIBs. Stay away from Plasma Rifles (which are universally terrible this edition) or Missiles (which are really expensive for what they do on a 4+ BS unit).

Magnetize. I can't stress that enough.

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 09 2017 09:36

To anyone looking to start tau I would say purchase 2 get started boxes, but since you already have I would suggest to just sit on your money until the new codex comes out.

You will see new boxed sets and probably a new Get Started box. You will probably be happier and what type of army you want to field once everything settles more. 8th is still a dust storm

pilky
Shas'La

Post#4 » Aug 09 2017 09:56

You're definitely on the right line of thinking with getting Pathfinders. Building some with Ion or Rail Rifles is also worthwhile in 8th edition to give yourself some more high strength shooting scattered about.

Beyond that I have 2 suggestions for unit combos I like, but they depend on what models you like to build/paint and what style you like to play:

1. Breacher Team + Devilfish. A very hard hitting unit that is great for aggressive play (especially clearing/claiming objectives outside your deployment zone)

2. 2 Hammerheads, 1 with Longstrike. Adds some more heavy support to your list and can do a lot of damage when used together. Also offer a platform for some seeker missiles, so you have something to do with the second markerlight hit ;)

Prometheo
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 11 2017 05:33

That is some really valuable advice. I cannot thatnk you enough for it.

Yeah, I am aware how suboptimal they are. I tried to magnetize them but finally I was too much in a hurry to do it properly. They are not solidly glued, though, so I trust i can just pluck them out and replace them.

About the CIBs, I understand they are the go-to option this edition, but obviously I have few official ways to get them. I heard there is an unofficial place online which provides a fitting substitute, but I'm worried about getting banned from GW tournments. Given how I'm not going to ever use Burst Cannons, is it acceptable to use them as a proxy placeholder for CIBs? Should I recast the one I have from the commander box?

I think my FLGS has an optimized pathfinder box, so probably I should get that. How many are the recommended breachers for a fish? 10 for them to go with an ethereal and fireblade?

Again, thank you for the positive and constructive advice. It is really encouraging.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 11 2017 07:41

Prometheo wrote:That is some really valuable advice. I cannot thatnk you enough for it.

Yeah, I am aware how suboptimal they are. I tried to magnetize them but finally I was too much in a hurry to do it properly. They are not solidly glued, though, so I trust i can just pluck them out and replace them.

About the CIBs, I understand they are the go-to option this edition, but obviously I have few official ways to get them. I heard there is an unofficial place online which provides a fitting substitute, but I'm worried about getting banned from GW tournments. Given how I'm not going to ever use Burst Cannons, is it acceptable to use them as a proxy placeholder for CIBs? Should I recast the one I have from the commander box?

I think my FLGS has an optimized pathfinder box, so probably I should get that. How many are the recommended breachers for a fish? 10 for them to go with an ethereal and fireblade?

Again, thank you for the positive and constructive advice. It is really encouraging.

You'll NEVER get banned from a tournament for making a conversion or using another piece for a conversion. If you wanted to mod your BC's, just rip the ends off or add a little something to it so that it IS different from a burst cannon and you'll be fine. As long as you put effort into making it different no TO worth anything will complain about you substituting your CIB especially since it only appears in one kit and is one per kit.

Prometheo
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 12 2017 02:24

Petty solid advice again. Much appreciated.

Given your advice I've let my minis like this.

Quad fusion commander, Fireblade and Ethereal.
10 Breachers
2x 5 Fire Teams with marketing
Around 20 assorted drones with magnetized load

Then I have to decide what to do with the suits. I'm planning to start with a smallish 700 points patrol list with some friends. Nothing too offensive but I don't want to be a pushover.

To complement the above I have a pathfinder team + devilish box and 6 crisis. I should probably get some stealth suits I am guessing.

The devilish obviously goes with the Breacher team and the Fireblade. I was hoping to use a mobile army with the devilish, drones and mantaing crisises.

About the pathfinder team. I was planning to do 2 teams, each using 3 of the special weapon. Is that a wise choice? Or should I go for the full 10 team?

About the crisis, should I go 3xCIB or 3x Flamers? I am planning magnetizing them (as soon as I unglue the current weapons) but I would like some advice on what to do. Flamers seems like the good choice with the 4+BS but I am.worried about the lack of range. They can probably take a charge though. OTOH I've heard wonders about the CIB even on XV8s so... I'm unsure what to do. Maybe some more fusion mini guys.

Sorry for the questions, I don't want to assemble them in a stupid configuration...

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 12 2017 04:13

I'm a big fan of Piranhas and Stealth Suits, the Ghostkeel as well.

pilky
Shas'La

Post#9 » Aug 12 2017 06:41

Prometheo wrote:I think my FLGS has an optimized pathfinder box, so probably I should get that. How many are the recommended breachers for a fish? 10 for them to go with an ethereal and fireblade?

I usually run 10 Breachers with a guardian drone and shield drone. The guardian drone is a must as it ups the breacher's invuln to a 5+. Running the devilfish with gun drones helps too to give a bit more survivability after disembarking

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Aug 13 2017 05:27

Anyone else notice the Tau Start Collecting box says No Longer Available Online?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Aug 14 2017 09:49

Prometheo wrote:The devilish obviously goes with the Breacher team and the Fireblade. I was hoping to use a mobile army with the devilish, drones and mantaing crisises.

FYI Fireblade does nothing to help Breachers anymore. Go with Darkstrider and you can wound t4 on 2+ within 5" of them. Plus then they can run away and shoot again if the get assaulted and survive. Hey, I said IF. :P

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#12 » Aug 14 2017 09:59

QimRas wrote:Anyone else notice the Tau Start Collecting box says No Longer Available Online?

Most SC boxes aren't available atm.
GW is most likely just re-packing them. Out with the formation rules and in with the Datasheets. ;)

Froglift
Shas

Post#13 » Aug 14 2017 10:15

How do you rip off plastic cemented parts on a crisis suit? Or should I just Mark of Dave them?
We are men of action, lies do not become us.

Prometheo
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Aug 14 2017 02:40

Yojimbob wrote:FYI Fireblade does nothing to help Breachers anymore. Go with Darkstrider and you can wound t4 on 2+ within 5" of them. Plus then they can run away and shoot again if the get assaulted and survive. Hey, I said IF. :P

:o

How comes? Doesn't the Fireblade give them an additional shot so 3 each?

Damn.

Prometheo
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Aug 14 2017 02:41

Froglift wrote:How do you rip off plastic cemented parts on a crisis suit? Or should I just Mark of Dave them?

With some extreme care, a sharp blade and some green stuff to restore the integrity.

Actually I expected it to be worse.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#16 » Aug 14 2017 02:42

Prometheo wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:FYI Fireblade does nothing to help Breachers anymore. Go with Darkstrider and you can wound t4 on 2+ within 5" of them. Plus then they can run away and shoot again if the get assaulted and survive. Hey, I said IF. :P

:o

How comes? Doesn't the Fireblade give them an additional shot so 3 each?

Damn.

Because the Fireblades special rule explicitly states which weapons it grants an additional shot. ;)

Prometheo
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Aug 14 2017 04:07

You are absolutely right. Only rifles, carabines and pistols.

Oh well, better to learn it now that to do it just after disembarking in a game I guess :)

Btw, I only need to assemble now the Pathfinders. I don't feel like I have the needed skill to magnetize them so... What would you do? I was planning on building 2 teams, each 5 tau strong. One with 3 Ion and other with 3 rails. Is that a good idea? Should I go for a full 10 group with 3 specials? Which special is the recommended one right now?

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#18 » Aug 14 2017 04:21

I didn't magnetize my Pathfinder either. I'd do it only for Battlesuits and only from Crisis Suits and upwarts.

If you take Rail Rifles with your Pathfinder unit, take a bigger unit so you have ablative wounds!
Last weekend a unit of Pathfinder with 3 Rail Rifles obliterated a Deathwatch unit with a Bike and Terminator in it (6 hits, wounds + a Mortal wound and the wound against the Termi did 2 damage), though I only because I baited him into Rapid fire range and because they didn't do much before so my opponent underestimated them.

Return to “Cadre Building”