Preparing to buy my first army - 1k pts

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
szeszej
Shas

Preparing to buy my first army - 1k pts

Post#1 » Aug 10 2017 08:56

So this is my planned army. I'm going to buy 2 starter boxes, commander, pathfinders box and ghostkeel box. You can of course persuade me to modify my order :-)
I've tried to read this forum first to get a general idea of how to make an army so hopefully the list isn't that bad.

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [58 PL, 1000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, 176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

A lot of people recommend this Commander build to bebe used as tank killer so I went with it.

+ Troops +

Strike Team [5 PL, 72pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse rifle
. 8x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [5 PL, 72pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse rifle
. 8x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Tbh I'm only including them because I had some spare points but not enough for another squad of XV8s or Ghostkeel and I'll have them in the starter boxes anyway. Any suggestions for replacements are welcome.

+ Elites +

I want to state for the record that I know XV8s are overpriced but I love the models and if I could I would include more of them. Plus they are in the starter box.

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [11 PL, 192pts]
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Plasma rifle
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Plasma rifle
. Crisis Shas'vre: 2x Plasma rifle

Elite killers. Targets any heavily armored units that aren't vehicles.

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 239pts]: 6x MV1 Gun Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Burst cannon
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Burst cannon, Drone controller
. Crisis Shas'vre: 2x Burst cannon

Horde killers. Drones with drone controller for extra firepower

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [10 PL, 169pts]: 2x Burst cannon, Advanced targeting system, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone

Marker holder and possibly also horde/elite killer. Plus the model is great :-D

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

For markerlight spam.

++ Total: [58 PL, 1000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

I'd be grateful for any advice you could give. I also have some questions:

1. Since drones become separate units, the opponent can easily complete objectives with destroying units. Are they worth it then?

2. At first I thought that shield generators would be great to take on a single model in a XV8 squad since I can allocate wounds to it first effectively adding +3 wounds to the squad for only 5pts. However, people don't seem to do this. Is it really that bad?

Bel'kro
Shas'Ui

Re: Preparing to buy my first army - 1k pts

Post#2 » Aug 10 2017 09:35

In answer to your first question, that is why it is recommend to take at least 6 or so drones in a crisis team. It hits the sweet spot of not too large, not too small, and still plenty of firepower, as well as providing ablative wounds for your suits.

In answer to your second question, I suspect the reason this has not been mentioned is because once a wound has been allocated to a model, you must keep allocating wounds to it until it is dead, before you can then allocate wounds to another model in the same unit.

Unfortunately this means if you were to allocate small arms fire to your non shielded suits and they were subsequently wounded, your opponent could then fire an anti tank weapon at the unit, and since you have to allocate wounds to an already wounded model, that forces your unshielded suit to take the hit. The alternative is you allocate the small arms fire to the shielded suit, and if that is wounded, your opponent will just overwhelm it with more small arms fire, then use their anti tank weapons on the other suits once the shield is gone.

As for your list, my personal recommendation is to take away 2 or 3 firewarriors so that you can add more burst cannons to your suits. 8 shots for 20 points > 6 shots for 24 points.

Cheap and cheerful plasma is incredibly effective at removing single wound 2+ and 3+ models, but outside of that their application is limited. Since they will be at 12 inch range for rapid fire, I would suggest adding a flamer to each plasma suit for added utility, and for improved overwatch, as they will almost certainly find themselves being charged.

I'm sure others will be along soon with more suggestions soon. :)
Legend says his name contained over 20 apostrophes!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Aug 10 2017 10:45

szeszej wrote:So this is my planned army. I'm going to buy 2 starter boxes, commander, pathfinders box and ghostkeel box. You can of course persuade me to modify my order :-)
I've tried to read this forum first to get a general idea of how to make an army so hopefully the list isn't that bad.

You've already got a good plan underway, so that's a good start! A few instant pieces of advice though. First: Always, always, always give XV8s the maximum number of weapons! You're paying 42 points for that chassis- make the most of it! Second, always make sure those XV8s have the maximum number of Drones too. With weapons you're looking at paying about 75 points minimum per suit... keep that investment alive and firing! Third, if you're fielding Pathfinders I'd get a few of those nice Pathfinder rifles- Ion or Rail, your choice- as they're unique and effective. Finally, the Ghostkeel is... sadly... just not all that effective in the current edition. I'd hold off for now, but if you love the model you should make an exception! Anyway, with these ideas in mind, let's look at a slightly-revised list:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Troops - 9x Fire Warriors w/ 1x Markerlight (75)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 1x Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Plasma Rifles, 1x Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (267)
Fast Attack - 9x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (84)

Total: 1000 - Command Points: 3 (1 Patrol Detachment)

-

That would take just 2 "Start Collecting" boxes, 1 Pathfinder box, and 1 Commander box. What do you think?

To answer your other questions:

szeszej wrote:I'd be grateful for any advice you could give. I also have some questions:

1. Since drones become separate units, the opponent can easily complete objectives with destroying units. Are they worth it then?

You're right- it's easy to kill small groups of Drones. That's why you should never take them unless they're absolutely necessary! The 4x Fusion Blaster Commander has such fantastic firepower, keeping him alive is so important that it's okay to bring some shield drones! Otherwise, avoid these small units.

szeszej wrote:2. At first I thought that shield generators would be great to take on a single model in a XV8 squad since I can allocate wounds to it first effectively adding +3 wounds to the squad for only 5pts. However, people don't seem to do this. Is it really that bad?

Space Pope II had a great answer for this. The way wound allocation works means that the Shield Generator just isn't as powerful as it looks. If you want protection, bring more Drones! :D

szeszej
Shas

Post#4 » Aug 10 2017 02:37

Thank you both for your answers, I'll review the list when I have more time :-)

Arka0415 wrote:
szeszej wrote:1. Since drones become separate units, the opponent can easily complete objectives with destroying units. Are they worth it then?

You're right- it's easy to kill small groups of Drones. That's why you should never take them unless they're absolutely necessary! The 4x Fusion Blaster Commander has such fantastic firepower, keeping him alive is so important that it's okay to bring some shield drones! Otherwise, avoid these small units

Oh, so all the drones I bring with one unit become a single separate unit? I thought that each one of the drones becomes a separate unit (so if i bring 6 drones with crisis suits I get 6 additional units). That certainly makes drones more useful, thanks!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Aug 10 2017 05:59

szeszej wrote:Thank you both for your answers, I'll review the list when I have more time :-)

Arka0415 wrote:
szeszej wrote:1. Since drones become separate units, the opponent can easily complete objectives with destroying units. Are they worth it then?

You're right- it's easy to kill small groups of Drones. That's why you should never take them unless they're absolutely necessary! The 4x Fusion Blaster Commander has such fantastic firepower, keeping him alive is so important that it's okay to bring some shield drones! Otherwise, avoid these small units

Oh, so all the drones I bring with one unit become a single separate unit? I thought that each one of the drones becomes a separate unit (so if i bring 6 drones with crisis suits I get 6 additional units). That certainly makes drones more useful, thanks!

Yup! It's a single unit. And remember, all the Drones attached to a unit become a single unit. So if you give an XV8 squad 2x Shield Drones, 2x Gun Drones, and 2x Marker Drones, then all 6 Drones form a cool mixed-Drone unit. I mean, it's not really a good idea (Gun Drones are the best on XV8s), but that's how the rules work. If you take all of the Drones available to a Pathfinder squad, you get 5x Drones with all sorts of interesting abilities and varying stats.

szeszej
Shas

Post#6 » Aug 16 2017 03:20

Question - is there any downside to including unit leaders (Shas'ui, Shas'vre)?

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#7 » Aug 16 2017 03:30

szeszej wrote:Question - is there any downside to including unit leaders (Shas'ui, Shas'vre)?

Nop, only upsides. No reason not to take one whenever possible.

szeszej
Shas

Post#8 » Aug 16 2017 04:04

Oh right, I'll probably begin my journey with this list:

Arka0415 wrote:HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 1x Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)

But if I really really really wanted to take a Ghostkeel for 1k pts battles, is this list acceptable? (I'm 5 pts over limit :( )

Vanguard Detachment +1CP [1005pts]

Elites - XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit w/ 2x Burst cannon, Advanced targeting system, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone (169)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Aug 16 2017 08:09

szeszej wrote:Oh right, I'll probably begin my journey with this list:

Arka0415 wrote:HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)

But if I really really really wanted to take a Ghostkeel for 1k pts battles, is this list acceptable? (I'm 5 pts over limit :( )

Vanguard Detachment +1CP [1005pts]

Elites - XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit w/ 2x Burst cannon, Advanced targeting system, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone (169)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

Make sure you add a target lock to the keel too so you're 17 over which is 2 drones and a point over.

Return to “Cadre Building”