First Tau army. need help from veterans

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
LucidMarko
Shas

First Tau army. need help from veterans

Post#1 » Aug 10 2017 06:23

need some help from the seasoned tau veterans. looking to build a balanced list (as far as being able to deal with multiple toughness/armor) I've thrown down pretty hard and started building. as I don't know how to magnetize (although could learn if time permitted) id rather just go to work and then buy more models to reflect different load outs. sooo heres what I have.
5 commanders (1 built as coldstar, 1 4x fusion, 3 unbuilt)
2 stealth suit boxes (unbuilt)
2 ghostkeels (unbuilt)
1 crisis suit box (unbuilt)
10 pathfinders (all built as marker light/pulse carbine)
1 devilfish (unbuilt also not sure if I want to use)
10 fire warriors (unbuilt)
was thinking about going all fusion on the ghost keels but don't want to neuter myself against infantry. want to do the crisis suits as all flamers (to help with infantry.) for the last 3 commanders I'm torn. I was thinking 1 more 4x fusion and 2 4x cyclic ion blaster.
can someone with a more tactical mindset in the use of tau help me figure out how much is too much fusion? or all fusion is a go? haha thanks so much guys. also I'm not afraid of buying new models so if you have ideas lemme know!

also any tips on tactics for these units would be pro.

LucidMarko
Shas

Re: First Tau army. need help from veterans

Post#2 » Aug 10 2017 07:05

Currently looking at something like this.

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [107 PL, 2000pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade: Markerlight

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit: Advanced targeting system, High-output burst cannon, Missile pod, Stimulant injector

+ Troops +

Strike Team: 8x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team: 7x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team: 7x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team
. 5x Pathfinder: 5x Markerlight
. 3x Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle: 3x Ion rifle

Pathfinder Team
. 5x Pathfinder: 5x Markerlight
. 3x Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle: 3x Ion rifle

Tactical Drones: 8x MV1 Gun Drone

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) ++

+ HQ +

Commander: 4x Cyclic ion blaster

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits: Homing beacon
. 3x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system: 3x Burst cannon

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits: Homing beacon
. 3x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system: 3x Burst cannon

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Flamer

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit: 2x Fusion blaster, Fusion collider, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit: 2x Fusion blaster, Fusion collider, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) ++

+ HQ +

Commander: 4x Fusion blaster

Commander: 4x Fusion blaster

Commander: 4x Cyclic ion blaster

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Currently looking at something like this.

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 10 2017 09:13

I would magnetize all of the suits, then you can swap the weapons to combat different units.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La

Post#4 » Aug 11 2017 12:56

I agree mith MN Gamer. Also, you should probably not include three stormsurges with the amount of units you're taking. One would suffice for your needs, three is a little overbalanced. Imagine that all the categories of unit (HQ, Elites, Troops, Fast Attack, Heavy Support, Lords of War, Flyers, Troop Transports & Fortifications) are a single column on a chart. To make a truely balanced army, the sections of the column should all be around the same length. This is to make sure that you have each section of your army doing it's job right. Otherwise you'll be able to effictively deal with some threats but not with others.
To Boldly Go where no Tau has gone before...

Bel'kro
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Aug 11 2017 05:25

Hey LucidMarko, just a friendly reminder not to double post if you can help it. The site admin do have to pay for everything out of their own pocket after all. Cheers. :)
Legend says his name contained over 20 apostrophes!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Aug 11 2017 10:51

LucidMarko wrote:need some help from the seasoned tau veterans. looking to build a balanced list (as far as being able to deal with multiple toughness/armor) I've thrown down pretty hard and started building. as I don't know how to magnetize (although could learn if time permitted) id rather just go to work and then buy more models to reflect different load outs. sooo heres what I have.
2 ghostkeels (unbuilt)
was thinking about going all fusion on the ghost keels but don't want to neuter myself against infantry. want to do the crisis suits as all flamers (to help with infantry.) for the last 3 commanders I'm torn. I was thinking 1 more 4x fusion and 2 4x cyclic ion blaster.
can someone with a more tactical mindset in the use of tau help me figure out how much is too much fusion? or all fusion is a go? haha thanks so much guys. also I'm not afraid of buying new models so if you have ideas lemme know!

Lightly-salted Tau veteran reporting. I'd be happy to help out with your list! It looks like you have a great collection, so you're in just the right place to start. To answer your questions though- For a 2000pt game, bringing 1-2 Fusion Commanders is a sufficient number of Fusion Blasters. Going all-out is fun if you're in a tank-heavy meta, but Fusion Blasters perform inefficiently against many targets, especially medium infantry. If you're going to spam a weapon, spam Cyclic Ion Blasters. Those things are vicious!

Anyway, we're making a 2000-point list and (looking at your collection) you aren't afraid of Commander spam. So, let's see what we can do!

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters, ATS; 2x Shield Drones (154)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS (156)
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ Shield Generator, ATS (150)

Whew! Look at that. 812 points. I guess you could say that this army is going to command the tabletop. Ha. Anyway, we've got a lot of Manta Strike units so we're going to need some insurance.

Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Homing Beacon (110)

Now let's add some Markerlights and objective-holders.

Troops - 10x Fire Warriors (80)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders (64)

We're bringing two Homing Beacons, and you yourself said you wanted XV8s w/ Flamers, so let's add them in!

Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Flamers, 1x Drone Controller, 6x Gun Drones (251)

With all of this, we're sitting on 1427 points of serious close-range firepower. However, we really don't have much that can shoot from long range, or hold objectives. I know it's going to require a few more purchases, but let's add a few more units.

Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 3x Rail Rifles (121)

There's no Cadre Fireblade in this list, and I wouldn't bother making a gunline. Instead, just use your Fire Warriors to sit on objectives an let your Battlesuits do the killing! The army is still pretty light on the anti-elite side of things though, and you already have a Devilfish... we're at 1628, so let's add a little more to round us off at 2000 points.

Troops - 10x Breachers (80)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (137)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (179)

With that I'd say we have a list! We're 24 points over though, so let's drop 1 Fire Warrior per squad. Anyway, here's the list:

-

Troops - 9x Fire Warriors (72)
Troops - 9x Breachers (72)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (137)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (179)

Total: 2000 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

What do you think?

LucidMarko
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 12 2017 11:16

Arka0415 wrote:
LucidMarko wrote:need some help from the seasoned tau veterans. looking to build a balanced list (as far as being able to deal with multiple toughness/armor) I've thrown down pretty hard and started building. as I don't know how to magnetize (although could learn if time permitted) id rather just go to work and then buy more models to reflect different load outs. sooo heres what I have.
2 ghostkeels (unbuilt)

Lightly-salted Tau veteran reporting. I'd be happy to help out with your list! It looks like you have a great collection, so you're in just the right place to start. To answer your questions though- For a 2000pt game, bringing 1-2 Fusion Commanders is a sufficient number of Fusion Blasters. Going all-out is fun if you're in a tank-heavy meta, but Fusion Blasters perform inefficiently against many targets, especially medium infantry. If you're going to spam a weapon, spam Cyclic Ion Blasters. Those things are vicious!

Anyway, we're making a 2000-point list and (looking at your collection) you aren't afraid of Commander spam. So, let's see what we can do!

Whew! Look at that. 812 points. I guess you could say that this army is going to command the tabletop. Ha. Anyway, we've got a lot of Manta Strike units so we're going to need some insurance.

Now let's add some Markerlights and objective-holders.

We're bringing two Homing Beacons, and you yourself said you wanted XV8s w/ Flamers, so let's add them in!

With all of this, we're sitting on 1427 points of serious close-range firepower. However, we really don't have much that can shoot from long range, or hold objectives. I know it's going to require a few more purchases, but let's add a few more units.

There's no Cadre Fireblade in this list, and I wouldn't bother making a gunline. Instead, just use your Fire Warriors to sit on objectives an let your Battlesuits do the killing! The army is still pretty light on the anti-elite side of things though, and you already have a Devilfish... we're at 1628, so let's add a little more to round us off at 2000 points.

Troops - 10x Breachers (80)

With that I'd say we have a list! We're 24 points over though, so let's drop 1 Fire Warrior per squad. Anyway, here's the list:

-

Troops - 9x Breachers (72)

Total: 2000 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

What do you think?

DUDE! yes. this looks like a great list. not far off from what I was going for either. especially with the matched play changes from chapter approved the troops are a must. so thats covered too. can use the devilfish and breachers with tau charge tactics. and ruin some days with massive manta strike plays. only thing to think about is the ats on the cib commander (I keep being told to go 4x instead of its but I also see the appeal to its being better against MEQ) and I was thinking cib over missles as well. do you think having them as an extra longer range unit is worth going to missiles?

Either way I'm building the rest up to this outline.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Aug 13 2017 06:16

LucidMarko wrote:DUDE! yes. this looks like a great list. not far off from what I was going for either. especially with the matched play changes from chapter approved the troops are a must. so thats covered too. can use the devilfish and breachers with tau charge tactics. and ruin some days with massive manta strike plays. only thing to think about is the ats on the cib commander (I keep being told to go 4x instead of its but I also see the appeal to its being better against MEQ) and I was thinking cib over missles as well. do you think having them as an extra longer range unit is worth going to missiles?

Either way I'm building the rest up to this outline.

Glad you like it! The tactics for a list like this will be very fluid- while the list will always be the same, the way you play (and especially, deploy) will vary by army. For example, against some armies you'll want to deploy the Flamer suits and rush toward your enemy to counter an agressive push. Against other enemies, you'll want to risk using the Stealthsuits to drop your XV8s into Flamer range.

About Cyclic Ion Blasters and Missile Pods... according to most of the math here on ATT, 3 weapons w/ ATS has about the same statistical firepower as 4 weapons w/o ATS. You save a few points by using ATS, but get a better statistical "curve" using more guns. Honestly, I'd say its really just personal preference.

Both Missile Pods and CIBs are fantastic weapons. Be sure to have both weapons in your army (but not on the same unit). Personally I like CIBs on XV8s because of the good synergy with Gun Drones, while I use Missile Pods on my long-range Commanders.

Return to “Cadre Building”