Thunderstrike Challenge Contingent: 2000pt ITC List

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
GuidingOlive
Shas'Saal

Thunderstrike Challenge Contingent: 2000pt ITC List

Post#1 » Aug 12 2017 01:17

So as a bit of fun I decided to make a list based off a post made on another website. This person wondered if Devilfish spam could be a tactical option. So I decided the best thing to do would be to create this list as an example of really the most spammable you can make devilfish. Now I would love to bring this to a tournament as a S's and G's list to have some fun. But I also think this is an example of a list the belies how powerful it is. Now it's also a list that is in development. There's a lot of fluidity here since it's probably the most Work in Progress list I will have ever put out on this forum. Anyway

Thunderstrike Challenge Contingent (103 PL, 1990 pts)
Outrider Detachment
HQ
Cadre Fireblade [2x Gun Drone]

Fast Attack
Tactical Drones [4x Gun Drone]

Dedicated Transport
TY7 Devilfish [2x Gun Drone] [Burst Cannon]

Outrider Detachment
HQ

Fast Attack

Dedicated Transport

Supreme Command Detachment
Commander [2x Gun Drone] [4x Fusion Blaster]

So the game plan here is specifically break someone through weight of fire. I will miss a bunch of shots (however, I'm working on making the Commanders more suitable for Drone Support and Heavy Fire Support) but I will hit a bunch of shots. Any list this comes up against really puts them on the clock since my Drones will put out enough S5 firepower to simply remove even hardy units. And any weapon that feels like putting in overkill will be wasted. Basically, this list has 78 Gun Drones and all of them are hidden in Devilfish or up in the sky. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy my stupid silly list. I certainly know I will. Thank You All for Your Time. Have a Nice Day.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: Thunderstrike Challenge Contingent: 2000pt ITC List

Post#2 » Aug 14 2017 07:26

I love the idea behind the list Olive. I think with how hardy transports have become (IE not getting one shotted) this could make for some interesting delivery of one of our best units. I like the use of transports here but if you wanted to get REALLY silly join us over here with the drones list to end all drones lists.
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25871
I made a variation of my original and though it is untested, the sheer volume of fire is truly absurd, much like yours.

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 22 2017 01:29

I like the idea of drone spam, I had a similar list in mind but with just 3 devilfish full of drones and more commanders.

However, the disembark rules really make you lose out on a whole turn of pressure which I didn't want to deal with. I also think multicharging melee units like big squads of khorne zerkers (rising in popularity) or genestealers will quickly chew through these. They will take a ton of overwatch in the process, but they can easily mitigate that by charging in a vehicle first or something.

By all means, test it out, it'll definitely put incredible amounts of pressure on many other lists.

Yojimbob wrote:.. if you wanted to get REALLY silly join us over here with the drones list to end all drones lists.
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25871

Unfortunately your list is not Matched play legal and will have trouble against all mech lists, where the fusion commanders are critical.

GuidingOlive
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 23 2017 11:59

Two things:

One, how does the Disembark rule lead to a turn of lost pressure?

Two, if you read further you'll find Yojimbob changed the list to be Tourney appropriate

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 24 2017 08:41

GuidingOlive wrote:Two things:

One, how does the Disembark rule lead to a turn of lost pressure?

Two, if you read further you'll find Yojimbob changed the list to be Tourney appropriate

^

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 30 2017 02:44

GuidingOlive wrote:One, how does the Disembark rule lead to a turn of lost pressure?

Because you have to disembark at the beginning of your movement. So you have to disembark then move your devilfish.

This means the first turn you cannot disembark and be in range with your drones. That means first turn all you're doing is moving up and sitting in the devilfish = free turn of shooting for your opponent. If he goes first that's 2 free turns of shooting. That is just too much inactivity for an edition where things die fairly quickly.

I mean, even with 3 detachments it's the same issues. No real answer for mechanized lists. Volume won't solve everything. Certainly not at that BS.

Return to “Cadre Building”