1500 point Longstrike and the Long shots

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Riflewolf
Shas

1500 point Longstrike and the Long shots

Post#1 » Aug 24 2017 03:33

Longstrike is clearly amazing, so I wanted to come up with a list just to use him to the fullest.

So we are going to take as many hammerheads as we can justify and see what we can do.

We will take a spearhead detachment so we don't have to spend any points on troops or other units. This decreases our base CP but the extra points make up for it.

We first take Longstrike as he is the focus of our list and his bonus to hammerheads is invaluable for us. We will give him his railgun, 2x Smart missle systems and 2x Seeker missiles. The rail gun is great for heavy hitting and the smart missile system provides more shots than the base drones. The drones would provide a unit to leave behind to guard an objective but we will find another unit to fill that role.

Next we start taking Hammerheads. For this list I propose 4 hammerheads. 2 with railguns and 2 with Ion Cannons. All four will have 2xSMS and 2xSM as well. The split between the railguns and the ions is to help deal with the fact we are weak to horde armies right now. Even with this set up the models we can remove is 66 and that is with using seeker missiles and everything hitting and killing. That is barely over a 50 man conscript blob. Plus the ion cannons has a higher damage shot than the railguns d6 so it will work better on marine or terminator equivalents.

Finally We add in two sky rays. Yes I know that seeker missiles are terrible and that the sky rays are bad, but in this list we will have 22 seeker missiles and 10 are most likely hitting on 2's and re-rolling 1's thanks to the skyrays. The skyrays provide markerlights and and with enough seeker missile spam we can deal with some of the tougher bigger annoyances quickly. The sky rays can take drones or SMS as both have valid use. With drones the sky ray can drop them off and just become our markerlight platforms meaning they will be less of a priority to our enemies and even if they get destroyed it is less of a hit to us, The SMS provides them with more combat capabilities after they have expended their Seeker missiles.

++Spearhead detachment [69PL, 1469pts]++
HQ:

Longstrike [11PL, 225pts]: 2x Smart Missile System, Railgun, 2x Seeker Missile

Heavy Support:

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship[10PL, 205pts]: 2x Smart Missile System, Railgun, 2x Seeker Missile
TX7 Hammerhead Gunship[10PL, 205pts]: 2x Smart Missile System, Railgun, 2x Seeker Missile

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship[10PL, 222pts]: 2x Smart Missile System, Ion Cannon, 2x Seeker Missile
TX7 Hammerhead Gunship[10PL, 222pts]: 2x Smart Missile System, Ion Cannon, 2x Seeker Missile

TX78 Sky Ray Gunshop[9pl, 195pts]: 2x Smart Missile System, 2x Markerlights, 6x Seeker Missiles
TX78 Sky Ray Gunshop[9pl, 195pts]: 2x Smart Missile System, 2x Markerlights, 6x Seeker Missiles

It is worth noting that Forgeworld provides variant hammerhead options that may be better suited for this list. I do not know the variants rules or if they interact with longstrike in the same way as the base hammerhead and so I left them out of this list.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 1500 point Longstrike and the Long shots

Post#2 » Aug 24 2017 04:09

Tank lists are a nice idea and if they weren't so expensive money-wise definitely something I'd like to try but it obviously isn't a tournament level list.
Anyway, you definitely need more Markerlights in your list if you ever want to use the Seeker missiles reliably. Think about adding 2x5 Pathfinder. I know they are no tanks (obviously lol) but any good tank squad needs some infantry spotter to support them. ;)

Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 24 2017 04:55

I played an all vehicle list for the konor mission 3 match. Was very fun, but our smaller vehicles like the tetras and piranhas aren't very durable.

However, I did take the fire support variant hammerhead (my opponent allowed proxies seeing as he was proxying a few venomthropes) with the twin heavy burst cannons. I loved this unit for cleaning up hordes at 36".

Just on taking SMS over drones, they have the same number of shots as the SMS are each Heavy 4 (so a total of 8 shots) and the drones each have 2 pulse carbines so are 2x Assault 2 each (also totalling 8 shots).

While the SMS has a greater range and doesn't need LoS, each one costs more than both drones together. I guess you'd take what you can based on points.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Aug 24 2017 05:02

Hungry_Bert wrote:While the SMS has a greater range and doesn't need LoS, each one costs more than both drones together. I guess you'd take what you can based on points.

Don't forget it also ignores cover which can be extremely valuable against Devastators or Scouts in cover etc.

Riflewolf
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 24 2017 11:14

Panzer wrote:Anyway, you definitely need more Markerlights in your list if you ever want to use the Seeker missiles reliably. Think about adding 2x5 Pathfinder. I know they are no tanks (obviously lol) but any good tank squad needs some infantry spotter to support them. ;)

I was planning on 1 sky ray just shooting markerlights first, then the second shoots markerlights and seeker missiles and next turn switch. I could drop them for a pathfinder team, but if this list is moving around a lot they may be left behind

Riflewolf
Shas

Post#6 » Aug 24 2017 11:23

Hungry_Bert wrote:I played an all vehicle list for the konor mission 3 match. Was very fun, but our smaller vehicles like the tetras and piranhas aren't very durable.

However, I did take the fire support variant hammerhead (my opponent allowed proxies seeing as he was proxying a few venomthropes) with the twin heavy burst cannons. I loved this unit for cleaning up hordes at 36".

Yeah, I knew they had something like that and it would be perfect for all tank horde busters. This list is still pretty weak to hordes and twin heavy burst cannon would mop them up real nice.

Hungry_Bert wrote:Just on taking SMS over drones, they have the same number of shots as the SMS are each Heavy 4 (so a total of 8 shots) and the drones each have 2 pulse carbines so are 2x Assault 2 each (also totalling 8 shots).

While the SMS has a greater range and doesn't need LoS, each one costs more than both drones together. I guess you'd take what you can based on points.

This was another concern. My list has the points for either option but it may be worth it to keep the drones. Drones allow the vehicle to advance and still shoot which could be good to grab an objective or if you really need to move. The missiles just have a much better range though and ignore cover and line of sight. Even if you advance that just gives the drones at most an extra 6" range for a total of 24, but then again SMS are heavy so if you do move your back to shooting at bs3 with longstrike around. Maybe give the ion cannons drones and have them be the front line tanks and keep your rail guns in the back with the heavy weapons

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Aug 24 2017 12:24

Riflewolf wrote:
Panzer wrote:Anyway, you definitely need more Markerlights in your list if you ever want to use the Seeker missiles reliably. Think about adding 2x5 Pathfinder. I know they are no tanks (obviously lol) but any good tank squad needs some infantry spotter to support them. ;)

I was planning on 1 sky ray just shooting markerlights first, then the second shoots markerlights and seeker missiles and next turn switch. I could drop them for a pathfinder team, but if this list is moving around a lot they may be left behind

You can shoot only Markerlights or other weapons so it's more likely that the first Sky Ray only hits with one of his two Markerlights you would have to shoot with your second as well and none could shoot their Seeker missiles.

Don't worry about Pathfinder getting left behind. They have their vanguard move and are rather quick with their 7" movement. Put them in a place with good line of sight and you probably won't have to move them even due their long range.

Anyway, I don't think Sky Rays are worth taking even. If you want Seeker missiles just take them on Hammerheads (who even benefit from Longstrikes aura) or if you don't want more Hammerheads but keep the vehicle theme take them on Piranha .... hell or even on Devilfishes with your Pathfinder.

Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 24 2017 03:13

Ah yes, I forgot about the ability to ignore cover bonuses :)

Panzer wrote:
Riflewolf wrote:

You can shoot only Markerlights or other weapons so it's more likely that the first Sky Ray only hits with one of his two Markerlights you would have to shoot with your second as well and none could shoot their Seeker missiles.

Don't worry about Pathfinder getting left behind. They have their vanguard move and are rather quick with their 7" movement. Put them in a place with good line of sight and you probably won't have to move them even due their long range.

Anyway, I don't think Sky Rays are worth taking even. If you want Seeker missiles just take them on Hammerheads (who even benefit from Longstrikes aura) or if you don't want more Hammerheads but keep the vehicle theme take them on Piranha .... hell or even on Devilfishes with your Pathfinder.

Vehicles don't suffer from the same restrictions as other units when it comes to firing their weapons and markerlights. So they would be able to fire both markerlights and as many other weapons as they have in range.

A slightly annoying aspect of seeker missiles is that you still need to have LoS...

Riflewolf
Shas

Post#9 » Aug 24 2017 03:25

Panzer wrote:You can shoot only Markerlights or other weapons so it's more likely that the first Sky Ray only hits with one of his two Markerlights you would have to shoot with your second as well and none could shoot their Seeker missiles.

I may be wrong but I was under the assumption that the markerlight rule does not apply to vehicles and that vehicles can fire markerlights freely. If this is wrong then I would agree and drop the sky rays for another hammerhead or two.

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Aug 24 2017 04:55

That is correct.

The rule states, "If a model (other then a Vehicle) fires a markerlight..."
Through Unity Devastation.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Morgrim
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Aug 24 2017 06:27

I like the list I would myself try something like this

Longstrike with smart missile system
2 hammerheads with rail guns
2 hammerheads with iron cannons
2 units of 10 pathfinders with recon drone and 2 gun drones each
2 devilfish for said pathfinders.

Lots of marker lights some infantry to grab objectives. Would be a fun force to play!

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Aug 24 2017 09:10

Cool list! I personally love the Seeker Missile Alpha Strike.

How do you feel Hammerheads perform compared to Fusion commanders? I have always been slightly underwhelmed by them; a fusion commander can pump out at least 3x the firepower for less, albeit in a more risky way.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Aug 25 2017 01:07

Ah okay missed that part about vehicles being an exception. I still think it's not enough Markerlights for such a list and that Sky Rays are rather bad though.

Return to “Cadre Building”