2000 points competitive tournament list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Quorgyle
Shas'Saal

2000 points competitive tournament list

Post#1 » Aug 25 2017 02:05

Hey everyone, first time I'm posting a list here, feel free to comment and give both positive and negative critics.
A short explanation first what's this about.
I've been collecting Tau for 2 months now, even thought I've been in the GW Fantasy/40k hobby for like 12-13 years. That means that I don't have a lot of options what to use in my lists, but still I think it's a decent ammount of models/units for these 2 months in the game.
The way I usually play games, and not just board games like 40k is being competitive. I like to follow the meta, use strong stuff and ignore the bad ones. In case of 40k, that can be a bit tought as the hobby is very expensive and considering that every place/tournament/gamegroup has it's own limitations and rules, powergaming won't always be an option.
In a few weeks I'm attending a 2000 points tournament and the following list is made for this exact tournament and it's rules.
Some of the important rules that dictated this list:
- list must be battleforged, no unbound lists, max 3 detachments, detachments cannot be duplicated, no understrenght units, no forgeworld
- chapter approved rules for matched play will be used (like the roll off for first turn where the person who finished setting up first gets just +1 instead of auto first turn)
- a bit of proxying is allowed...for example I can use Crisis Suits as Commanders, but if I do that, I can't use the Crisis models for both Commanders and Crisis, just one of those
- most up to date designer notes, faq, errata will be used that come out before September 2nd
- 5 matches will be played, missions are already decided with some changes/additions to the standard ones (I can post these as well if anyone is interested)

As stated before, I'm gonna take advantage of some units....like the Commander of course, I don't have that many Commanders so I'll be using my Crisis Suits for some instead.

Supreme Command Detachment +1CP

HQ
Commander - 4x Fusion Blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
Commander - 4x Fusion Blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
Commander - 4x Cyclic Ion Blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

Battalion Detachment +3CP

HQ
Commander - 3x Missile Pod, Drone Controller
Commander - 3x Missile Pod, Drone Controller
Coldstar Battlesuit Commander - HOBC, Missile Pod, ATS, Shield Generator

Troops
Breacher Team - 9x Fire Warriors, 1x Shas'ui, 1x MV36 Guardion Drone
Strike Team - 4x Fire Warriors, 1x Shas'ui
Strike Team - 4x Fire Warriors, 1x Shas'ui

Dedicated Transport
TY7 Devilfish - Burst Cannon, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

Outrider Detachment +1CP

HQ
Cadre Fireblade
Darkstrider

Fast Attack
Pathfinder Team - 9x Pathfinder, 1x Shas'ui, MB3 Recon Drone, MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV33 Grav-Inhibitor Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
Tactical Drones - 12x MV1 Gun Drones
Tactical Drones - 12x MV1 Gun Drones

Overall: 1998 points

So the plan...2 Missile Pod Commanders with Drone Controllers deploy normally, the two unit of Gun Drones around them. Fireblade near them as well.
Coldstar Commander for mission grab, Fusion Commanders to melt through monsters/vehicles. 3 CIB Commanders for whatever they can target.
10 man Breacher Team + Shield Drone + Darkstrider go into the Devilfish (do these 3 seperate units actually count as 1 when deploying together in a transport? ).

I know, this is a lot of units. That's why I'm trying to get some changes to the list. I would remove the Fire Warriors completely, Devilfish, Fireblade, Darkstrider, some Drones, some Pathfinders and their Drones and add a Stormsurge, I'll post the list later.

Quorgyle
Shas'Saal

Re: 2000 points competitive tournament list

Post#2 » Aug 25 2017 02:14

Forgot to mention what models I've got home in case someone think that "this unit might be better than this unit"

2 Commanders (weapons can be flexible as they are magnetized), another Commander ordered and will be arriving soon, gonna make a Coldstar out of him.
2 Start Collecting Boxes (together that's 6 Crisis Suits, 2 Ethereal, 10 Breacher Fire Warriors, 10 Strike Team Fire Warriors and 16 Drones)
1 Optimised Pathfinder Team Box (10 Pathfinders, haven't put special weapons on them, just normal ones....1 Devilfish, 3 Pathfinder specific Drones)
1 Hammerhead (Longstrike)
1 Cadre Fireblade
1 Darkstrider
1 Stormsurge
12-14 more Drones

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 25 2017 02:56

Split up the units of drones into smaller ones and max out the outrider detachment with them. So do 4 units of 5 and the last one is 4. Gives you more options without really hurting you in a tournament. Plus your opponent is far more likely to waste wounds and you are far less likely to die to morale.

Also, switch a few of the shield drones on the CIB manders to being gun drones. Not very likely that you'll need that many shield drones on that many commanders. If you drop them together then I could see 4 being a good number of shield with 2 being gun drones. If you drop them separate I would probably just take two shield. Definitely stick with shields for fusions unless you plan on stacking commanders in which case don't go overboard.

Not a huge fan of missile manders but it's your party. ;) I like the overall feel to this list though. Please let us know how it plays!

Quorgyle
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 25 2017 03:27

Well the 2 Commanders with Drone Controller are starting off in normal deployment, CIB is 18'' range....so I need something with more range on them.

EDIT: I'm not a big fan of the Missile Pod Commander, but I thought as he will be starting way back (won't be manta striking him) all he needs is be 6'' from a Gun Drone unit for the Drone Controller. Fusion Blasters and Cyclic Ion Blasters have 18'' range, Missile Pod is 36''. He can also declare Kauyon and Montka.

I'm already thinking about modifying the list, removing both Darkstrider and the Firebalde, loose the drones on the Pathfinders and split them. Also 1 less MP Commander and less Drones. Instead of all that, a Stormsurge.
Last edited by Quorgyle on Aug 25 2017 04:12, edited 1 time in total.

Sheeb
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 25 2017 04:09

Love the Breacher team with the Guardian Drone inside the Devilfish. Best way to play T'au aggressive. Also, i like the Coldstar and the Breacher team to capture objectives.

Quorgyle
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Sep 13 2017 12:55

Ended up not going to the tournament because of some family issues. On the other hand, another Tau list completely dominated the tournament and won of course. As expected, it was Commander + Drone spam.
As I'm not sure if anyone wants to see the list and if this is the right place to post it, I'll wait until someone gives me further instruction.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Sep 13 2017 01:15

Sure...go ahead
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Quorgyle
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Sep 13 2017 01:33

Supreme command detachment
1cp 858
Hq1: commander 3x misslepods, advanced targetting system, 2xshield drone [172]
Hq2: commander 3x misslepods, advanced targetting system, 1xmarker drone, 1xshield
drone [174]
Hq3: commander 3x misslepods, advanced targetting system, 2xmarker drone [176]
Hq4: commander 3x misslepods, drone controller, 2xmarker drone [173]
Hq5: commander 3x fusionblaster, shield generator, 2xgun drone [163]
Outraider detachment
1cp 620
Hq6: commander 3x CIB, advanced targetting system, 2xgun drone [154]
Hq7: commander 3x CIB, advanced targetting system, 2xgun drone [154]
fast1: Tactical Drones: 4 Gun Drones, 2 Additional Shield Drones [52]
fast2: Tactical Drones: 4 Gun Drones, 2 Additional Shield Drones [52]
fast3: Tactical Drones: 4 Gun Drones, 2 Additional Shield Drones [52]
fast4: Tactical Drones: 4 Gun Drones, 2 Additional Shield Drones [52]
fast5: Tactical Drones: 4 Gun Drones, 2 Additional Shield Drones [52]
fast6: Tactical Drones: 4 Gun Drones, 2 Additional Shield Drones [52]
Vanguard detachment
1cp 522
Hq8: commander 3x fusionblaster, shield generator, 2xgun drone [163]
Hq9: commander 3x CIB, advanced targetting system, 2xgun drone [154]
elite1: marksman,markerlight [23]
elite2: marksman,markerlight [23]
elite3: marksman,markerlight [23]
fast7: Tactical Drones: 4 Gun Drones, 2 Additional Shield Drones, 2 Additional Gun
Drones [68]
fast8: Tactical Drones: 4 Gun Drones, 2 Additional Shield Drones, 2 Additional Gun
Drones [68]
TOTAL > 2000

I see some spelling errors, just copy/pasted the list and can't be arsed to fix them.

Out of 5 matches, this list tabled 4 players and went 15-5 against Astra Militarum (which got interrupted due to game length, else would probably be tabled as well according to sources).

In another thread on the forum, we had a discussion what people think about Tau and a lot of forum members believe that people are alright with the current status of Tau (other faction players think that Tau are balanced). My opinion was that people still think that Tau are overpowered. Don't need to mention that after this tournament showcase, my gaming group thinks that as well. :sad:
Last edited by Quorgyle on Sep 14 2017 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#9 » Sep 13 2017 04:14

Can't deny the brutal efficiency of that list.

With AM in the ascendency I can see why the massed missile pod commanders are so valuable. It would be interesting to hear how that game went because just from looking at the list it almost looks designed to blow a hole in the units (probably mortar teams and artillery pieces) behind the conscript screen big enough for the CIB and FB commanders to drop into on turn 2 or 3 and deliver the killing blow.

I am only surprised no Cadre Fireblade made it in there - even just for the option of even-more-insane dakka from the drones against the currently fashionable screens of chaff.

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Sep 13 2017 06:30

nic wrote:Can't deny the brutal efficiency of that list.

With AM in the ascendency I can see why the massed missile pod commanders are so valuable. It would be interesting to hear how that game went because just from looking at the list it almost looks designed to blow a hole in the units (probably mortar teams and artillery pieces) behind the conscript screen big enough for the CIB and FB commanders to drop into on turn 2 or 3 and deliver the killing blow.

I am only surprised no Cadre Fireblade made it in there - even just for the option of even-more-insane dakka from the drones against the currently fashionable screens of chaff.

Realistically the fireblade won't keep up with the drones footslogging across the field without a transport. I think this list with its sheer bodies is enough to overwhelm the enemy with plenty of dakka... until it comes across an alpha legion list with infiltrating berserkers which will wipe out all the drones turn 1.

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#11 » Sep 14 2017 05:54

Hi, Quorgyle, could you please edit your post to not include individual points values for the models? Total points for the units are fine; we just can't have individual models with their wargear and weapons individually costed.

Thanks!
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Sep 14 2017 09:28

My thoughts are that Commnaders will either be hiked very soon, or we will go back to only having 2 weapons per suit. It may also be a combination of both.

As for T'au as a whole, I think they are competitive as long as you don't want to have any gaming friends but completely awful if you do. There seems to be no middle ground between lists that will curb stomp your opponent and lists that have lost the match before you start. Lots and lots of the T'au model line gathering dust in display cases.

As for the berserker problem...if you know you're facing a berserker list, you can just spread your drone units out past dual charge and consolidation ranges then use their better than average mobility to get them back together when needed (although without an aura buff in the list, there really is no need to ever bring them back together). Imagine how frustrated a berserker player will be when he causes 20 unsaved wounds on a 4 drone unit and can't get the range to consolidate into another unit for his second activation.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Quorgyle
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Sep 14 2017 01:51

Sa'cea Mont'yr wrote:Hi, Quorgyle, could you please edit your post to not include individual points values for the models? Total points for the units are fine; we just can't have individual models with their wargear and weapons individually costed.

Thanks!

Done, thanks for the heads up.

Return to “Cadre Building”