2000 points competitive - stormsurge gimmick

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
eRa
Shas'Saal

2000 points competitive - stormsurge gimmick

Post#1 » Aug 26 2017 07:29

So I was wondering if I could make a tripple stormsurge list work:

++ Super heavy detachment ++

Stormsurge - cluster rockets, 2 SMS, 2 BC, PBC, 4 destroyer missiles, [ATS, SG, VT]

Stormsurge - cluster rockets, 2 SMS, 2 BC, PBC, 4 destroyer missiles, [ATS, SG, VT]

++ Outrider detachment ++

Ethereal

Tactical drones (7) - 4 marker drones, 3 shield drones

Tactical drones (5) - 3 marker drones, 2 shield drones

Kroot hounds (4)

++ Supreme command detachment ++

Coldstar - HOBC, MP, [SG, DC]

Commander - 4 FBs, 2 marker drones

Commander - 4 FBs, 2 marker drones

I made this list primarily as an anti-meta thing, since it's pretty good against Magnus and flyers (12 destroyer missiles with VT is really strong). It does ok against smite spam. In my experience the regular conscripts + scions + arty also isn't that great against this list because the SS are so insanely tanky with SGs+drones and conscripts can be cleared pretty quickly.

The greatest weakness I can foresee is the general lack of firepower from the stormsurges at long range. They can put out a lot of S5 AP-1 3+/4+ shots when close, but none have the PDC to extend that range. Once their DMs are gobe I have little to threaten my opponent's backfield with.

Plan is to deploy everything but the commanders in 1 big blob near the center, then pop kauyon if I need to nuke something in the 1st turn. The coldstar will try to nab some objectives later on.

Obvious weakness is lack of mobility and no obsec. Upside is that I don't insta-lose killpoints (12 KP army).

I might wanna change out a 4FB commander for a pulse driver cannon + aunva + (sniper) drones or some obsec. Most decent opponents screen their valuable stuff pretty welm so getting within 18" can be tricky.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: 2000 points competitive - stormsurge gimmick

Post#2 » Aug 26 2017 07:42

I dare say you'd be losing most games on objectives. Especially after the Chapter Approved book gets released where all Troops get ObSec.

Quorgyle
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 26 2017 01:41

Isn't there just 1 Eternal War mission that has kill points?
In one of my games where I was using my Stormsurge, the enemy Necron player managed to drag him into Combat and surround it so that we stayed like that for 4 turns. Obviously, because I lack game experience and positioned the Storsurge near the edge, surrounding it wasn't that big of a problem. You should have that in mind.

Kruso
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 26 2017 01:49

My friend has been running triple surge and it seems quite good. However, he plays Shadowsun to Mont'ka first turn into position, then Kayuon the next for insane shooting. I'd suggest you try it too.

I also like VT on Surges. So many good things that have Fly-keyword these days.
-Heresy grows from idleness-

gualtikhan
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 27 2017 07:12

Hi, nice list. The only problem is that you can't give wounds to your drones form the stormsurges 'cause they haven't the battlesuit keyworld (at least, in my italian translated index).

eRa
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 28 2017 05:23

Damn, you're right.

I think putting shadowsun + some obsec in would be a good way forward then.

gualtikhan
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 28 2017 05:52

Yeah l know it's ridicolous but that's that. Well, l don't think Shadowsun and somee obsec are the best option, you still need some models to bubbleshielding your stormsurge a bit. In my opinion you could take; if models are not a problem, a lot of kroot hounds cause they are the ceapest tau units and they are still quite good in CaC and not so easy to kill a lot of them, not to mention that they have quite big bases that makes them perfect to bubbleshielding. You could take a lot of units of four to force your opponent to waste anti-infantry fire and give for assumed that you go second, but with the stormsurges is usually better. Also, at this moment, is usually better avoid Shield Drones. Remember that you can't call the Kaunion ifyour commanders don't start the turn on the battlefield, so, if you want someone to fill that role it's better skip the Coldstar Commander (it is a horrible in my opinion... it costs nearly as a Cib Commander but it has a lot less of firepower but an improved movement that you don't really need in your list) for Shadowsun. Otherwise, if you fear to deal with horders and blobs you could take a Sunshark Bomber that is awesome in my opinion instead of the Coldstar.

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 30 2017 02:37

eRa wrote: In my experience the regular conscripts + scions + arty also isn't that great against this list because the SS are so insanely tanky with SGs+drones and conscripts can be cleared pretty quickly.

Wut?

Drones can't take wounds for your stormsurges. They are not battlesuits.

How exactly are your SS tanky? Any respectable gunline can kill or cripple one a turn. Especially if they have artillery that they hide out of LoS and just shoot your all day and you can't shoot them back.

If Stormsurges were battlesuits, I'd be all about this list. But since they are not, I'm not sure if this is the be-all, end-all for Tau especially against very common gunline lists.

Kudos for doing something other than commander spam though.

Return to “Cadre Building”