Local tournament winning list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Kruso
Shas'Saal

Local tournament winning list

Post#1 » Aug 26 2017 01:55

Detachments: <T'au Empire> Outrider Detachment, Vanguard Detachment, Supreme Command Detachment

Outrider Detachment

HQ1: (WL, trait= Tenacious Survivor) Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit, Advanced Targeting System, Shield Generator,2x MV1 Gun Drone, Missile Pod, High-output Burst Cannon [166]

Troops1: Strike Team, 4x Fire Warrior 1x Shas'ui, Markerlight, Pulse Pistol, DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ Smart Missile System [63]

Fast Attack1: Pathfinder Team, 5x Pathfinder, 1x Pathfinder Shas'ui, 6x Markerlight, Pulse Pistol [48]
Fast Attack2: Pathfinder Team, 5x Pathfinder, 1x Pathfinder Shas'ui, 6x Markerlight, Pulse Pistol [48]
Fast Attack3: Pathfinder Team, 4x Pathfinder, 1x Pathfinder Shas'ui, 5x Markerlight, Pulse Pistol [40]
Fast Attack4: Tactical Drones, 6x MV1 Gun Drone [48]

Dedicated Transport1: TY7 Devilfish, 2x MV1 Gun Drone [127]

Vanguard Detachment

HQ2: Cadre Fireblade, Markerlight [42]

Elites1: XV25 Stealth Battlesuits, 2x Shas'ui, 1x Shas'vre, 3x Burst Cannon, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon, 2x Mv7 Marker Drone [135]
Elites2: XV25 Stealth Battlesuits, 2x Shas'ui, 1x Shas'vre, 3x Burst Cannon, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon, 2x Mv7 Marker Drone [135]
Elites3: XV8 Crisis Battlesuits, 2x Shas'ui, 6x Flamer, 1x Shas'vre, 2x Fusion Blaster, Drone Controller, 6x MV1 Gun Drone [275]
Elites4: XV8 Crisis Battlesuits, 2x Shas'ui, 1x Shas'vre, 6x Missile Pod, 3x Advanced Targeting System, 6x MV1 Gun Drone [342]

Fast Attack5: Tactical Drones, 5x MV1 Gun Drone [40]

Supreme Command Detachment

HQ3: Commander, 4x Fusion Blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone [176]
HQ4: Commander, 3x Fusion Blaster, Velocity Tracker, 2x MV4 Shield Drone [157]
HQ5: Commander, 3x Cyclic Ion Blaster, Drone Controller, 2x MV7 Marker Drone [155]

CP:6 Total: [1997]

Hey all.

Had a small local tournament today and ended up winning it with this list. It's strange to play such close range shooting oriented Tau, but I feel I've gotten pretty good at it. Winning tactics included lots of melee and of course target priority.

Also, I shouldn't have made the Coldstar my Warlord, as that kind of hampered his mobility by making him a target.

EDIT: First game was against Raptors Space Marines (20-0), second against AM list with some artillery, Russes and infantry (16-4). Third was against Magnus and three Renegade Knights (19-1).
-Heresy grows from idleness-

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: Local tournament winning list

Post#2 » Aug 27 2017 02:00

Your post has been edited to remove individual points costs.

Membership & Forum Rules

Respect Intellectual Property Rights.
Games Workshop and other companies take their IP very seriously, and so should you. Violating their fair use policies could get ATT closed down, so think before you quote. Also, do not include individual points costs for wargear or models, or entire statlines of any kind.

GW Legal Department wrote:We do not tolerate deep linking to the pictures, images, PDFs or other downloads on our website. Such activity is bandwidth theft. Also, do not mirror the resources that we have on our websites. So, if you want other people to see the materials that we have produced, please use a simple HTML link to the relevant web page.

General Rules regarding GW IP
To help clarify our stance regarding the use on ATT of GW's Intellectual Property:

Try not to use GWIP at all, if possible.
For example, instead of saying something like "the fusion blaster is StrX, APX which will wound MEQs on a 2+ and prevent them from having an armor save" it is better to say "MEQs will be wounded on a 2+ and denied an armor save thanks to the high strength and low AP values of the fusion blaster." Granted, this assumes that you reader already knows the basic stat line for the fusion blaster. In the event that someone comes along and really doesn't know what's going on, its usually more beneficial to refer that person to the appropriate page of either the codex or rulebook rather than trying to explain everything from scratch. So to sum up, using stats, in general, is usually not necessary and should therefore be avoided whenever possible.

If you really must use stats, don't include the full stat line.
For example; Don't list a weapon's strength and AP or range and other specific details, etc together (even still, keep in mind that this is a gray area). Instead of saying the range is XX inches, say "rapid fire range" or "burst cannon range." Again, most everyone here will understand this and anyone who doesn't can be pointed towards the books.

Never, ever list individual point values for anything.
Listing the sum total of points for a squad is OK, but no item-by-item points breakdowns are ever allowed. ATT has zero tolerance for listing individual point values. Repeat offenders will be subject to administrative procedures. Nothing will get us smacked down faster by GW than by listing individual points values for wargear, unit models and upgrades. They will not hesitate to drop the hammer on us, so we in turn cannot be lax in policing this issue.

Kruso
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 27 2017 02:39

Oh right.

I'm really sorry.

I was really tired last night and didn't think straight. Back to lurk mode out of shame.

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 28 2017 05:15

Interesting list. What was the set-up of the infantry and the devilfish - were the pathfinders in the devilfish or was a mix of pathfinders/ Strike Team/ Cadre Fireblade?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 28 2017 06:47

The cool kid combo is taking the 4 man of drones, the 5 man of drones and fireblade with his 2 drones in the fish and jumping out with 11 drones from inside the fish and the pair of drones that come WITH the fish plus fireblade at 9 inches from the enemy for a whopping 78 5/0/1 shots. It seems this list is a modified version of that with no drones on the fireblade and a 5 and 6 man drone squad. You get more MSU out of the first option but to each their own. It's pretty nasty when you get a DC with it, likely coming from the dropping CIB commander or near the stealth suits. It gets really cool if you manage 5 lights on a target. 11.55 dead marines or 28.88 dead conscripts. Best part is it's all protected until you dump it or it gets opened which takes dedicated anti tank which SHOULD be going after crisis, stealths, or commanders. Good list! Well thought out.

Kruso
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 31 2017 11:59

Watcher on the wall wrote:Interesting list. What was the set-up of the infantry and the devilfish - were the pathfinders in the devilfish or was a mix of pathfinders/ Strike Team/ Cadre Fireblade?

I had drones with Fireblade in the Fish. They were used to reinforce my suits and provide devastating salvo of fire power on turn two.

Pathfinders were used to scout move to midfield to provide board control against deepstrikes. Fire warriors had a duty sitting on objective on my deployment zone and take pot shots with their SMS

In the first game against reserve-heavy Raptors I managed to cover the whole board so that he had nowhere to deepstrike but on his own deployment zone or left flank far from any objectives. He hid in his corner and last few turns were just me closing in and mopping up.

Kruso
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 31 2017 12:02

Yojimbob wrote:The cool kid combo is taking the 4 man of drones, the 5 man of drones and fireblade with his 2 drones in the fish and jumping out with 11 drones from inside the fish and the pair of drones that come WITH the fish plus fireblade at 9 inches from the enemy for a whopping 78 5/0/1 shots. It seems this list is a modified version of that with no drones on the fireblade and a 5 and 6 man drone squad. You get more MSU out of the first option but to each their own. It's pretty nasty when you get a DC with it, likely coming from the dropping CIB commander or near the stealth suits. It gets really cool if you manage 5 lights on a target. 11.55 dead marines or 28.88 dead conscripts. Best part is it's all protected until you dump it or it gets opened which takes dedicated anti tank which SHOULD be going after crisis, stealths, or commanders. Good list! Well thought out.

This tournament had a kill point mission to punish full msu. Otherwise I'd do just as you described. In my last game the drones finished of Magnus, indeed with 5 lights, Fireblade and drone controller buffs.

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 31 2017 04:40

Well made list. Congrats on the win!

I'm curious if you've ever faced a gunline with this list and had your pathfinders nuked turn 1. Does that happen?

Also how are you finding the missile pod Crisis suits? Would you rather take CIB and have more flexibility with outputting volume or overcharging? Or do you want the range from the pods?

Kruso
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Aug 31 2017 05:24

Good questions. I was lucky enough to seize the initiative in first and second game, and went first in the last one. First turn was decided by roll-off, with +1 if you finished your deployment first.

If I had gone second I think I would've indeed lost the pathfinders. Or stealth suits, if the opponent knew what homing beacons do. Not having dangerous threats to attract attention on board sure is a bummer. I'm thinking of having more marker drones drop in with the commanders or crisis suits to mitigate this weakness.

Missile pod suits we're kind of last minute addition. I didn't really know what to add and didn't have more commanders. CIBs are definitely good, but I don't have enough bits to run my suits with them yet. Range of missile pods actually played a big part in first and second game when I had to chase after last enemy units across the board. Almost scrapped the last escaping Renegade Knight with them in the last game, and would have done so had the game continued past turn 5.

EDIT: I was also lucky in pairings and managed to dodge the real deal parking lot lists and an Alpha Legion terminator bomb. Slaaneshi Alpha Legion terminators with combi-plasmas are nuts and took everyone by surprise. That guy finished second in the tournament.

Return to “Cadre Building”