2500 pts double Y'vahra

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Floozieguy
Shas

2500 pts double Y'vahra

Post#1 » Aug 28 2017 11:44

Hey guys,
im thinking about getting a new army, and this is the current list im want to play. the main focus is clear on the two Y'vahras, dashing to the front getting supported by ghostkeel, devilfish and the deepstrikes.

+ HQ +
Commander, 4x Fusion Blaster, 2x Marker Drone ; 180 pts
Commander, 4x CIB, 2x Marker Drone ; 168 pts
Cadre Fireblade, Markerlight ; 45 pts

+ Troops +
7x Fire Warriors,1x Shas'ui ; 64ts
7x Fire Warriors,1x Shas'ui ; 64 pts
9x Breachers,1x Shas'ui ; 80 pts

+ Dedicated Transport +
TY7 Devilfish - Burst Cannon, 2x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x seeker missle ; 137 pts

+ Fast Attack +
4x Pathfinder, 1x Shas'ui, 5x Markerlight, PA-Drone ; 48 pts
4x Pathfinder, 1x Shas'ui, 5x Markerlight, GI-Drone ; 48 pts
4x Pathfinder, 1x Shas'ui, 5x Markerlight ; 40 pts
Tx4 Piranhas, Fusion Blaster, 2x Gun Drone, 2x seeker missle ; 92 pts
XV 109 Y'vahra, Target Lock, ATS ; 415 pts
XV 109 Y'vahra, Target Lock, Stimulant Injector ; 412 pts

+ Elite +
Ghostkeel, Fusion colider, 2x Fusion Blaster, 2x Stealth Drones, Target Lock, Multi Tracker ; 210 pts
5x Stealth Shas'ui,1x Shas'vre, 6x Burst Cannons, 6x ATS ; 228 pts
2x Crisis, 1x Shav'vre,2x Flamer, 7x Plasma Rifle, 6x Gun Drone ; 269 pts

Total: 2500 pts

Thank you much, i hope you it and maybe you help me to optimize the list.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: 2500 pts double Y'vahra

Post#2 » Aug 28 2017 12:17

Seeker missles on anything that isn't Longstrike and friends are wasted points.

Ghostkeel shouldn't be fusion anything since it's already bad shooting and low ROF is then made worse. Also, why take a ghostkeel when you already have two distraction carnifexes in Y'varha? If you have a good answer then keep it, otherwise spend points elsewhere. Fusion commanders are much much better point for point than fusion keels.

Fireblade without a bunch of Strike team or gun drones is a waste of points. Take more of each or drop him.

Never take single drones of any kind let alone the special ones with the pathfinder teams. They become higher priority targets for handing out buffs anyway, don't make it worse by fielding them solo. Take them with the fully accompanying amount like 5 drones or not at all.

No need for that many stealthsuits who A. Don't have a beacon and B. Don't have a drone controller. They are one of the cheapest most durable options to take a drone controller on for stupid cheap points. Also, don't go with ATS on them. They only have one gun and it's really expensive for what you get, IE you lose army points efficiency.

Piranhas are very menh for their points. I'd rather take almost anything else for the points cost. Vespid come to mind. A good alternative is a second devilfish filled with breachers or gun drones and a fireblade. It gives you 4 high priority t7 targets with good saves and a large pool of wounds.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Sep 03 2017 08:17

Excellent points, Yojimbob! Let's go ahead and just write those changes into the list, and see how it looks.

-

Commander, 4x Fusion Blaster, 2x Shield Drones; 176pts
Commander, 4x CIB; 148pts
Cadre Fireblade, Markerlight; 42pts

10x Fire Warriors; 80pts
10x Fire Warriors; 80pts
10x Breachers; 80pts

TY7 Devilfish - Burst Cannon, 2x MV1 Gun Drones; 127pts

3x Stealthsuits, 3x Burst Cannons; 90pts
3x XV8s, 2x Flamer, 7x Plasma Rifle, 6x Gun Drone; 269pts

5x Pathfinders, 5x Markerlights; 40pts
XV 109 Y'vahra, Target Lock, ATS; 415pts

Total: 2042pts

-

Well, as we can see, it still needs almost 500 more points! Luckily it also has a few missing roles- by filling these roles we can bring those 500-or-so points back quite efficiently. Let's see what we can do.

First, we need more medium-strength weapons, and a couple more Markerlights. Let's boost those Pathfinders to two squads of 10, one of which carries 3 Rail Rifles. In addition, let's swap the XV8s' weapons for a full complement of 8 CIBs and a Drone Controller- expensive, but they pack a punch.

Next, we want to make better use of our Fireblade, and get more anti-infantry support- as Yojimbob mentioned, we should add another squad of Fire Warriors as well.

One thing the list still lacks is long-range firepower. The biggest guns, on the Fusion Commander and Y'vahras, have very short ranges. With that in mind, let's add another Commander, this time with the excellent loadout of 3 Missile Pods and an ATS. At only 156 points it's cheap and offers dependable longer-range firepower.

Finally, we only have a few more points left to spend. Again let's do what Yojimbob suggested and add in some Vespids! Here's the final list, with those additions.

-

Commander, 4x Fusion Blaster, 2x Shield Drones; 176pts
Commander, 4x CIB; 148pts
Commander, 3x Missile Pods, ATS; 156pts
Cadre Fireblade, Markerlight; 42pts

10x Fire Warriors; 80pts
10x Fire Warriors; 80pts
10x Fire Warriors; 80pts
10x Breachers; 80pts

TY7 Devilfish - Burst Cannon, 2x MV1 Gun Drones; 127pts

3x Stealthsuits, 3x Burst Cannons; 90pts
3x XV8s, 8x CIB, 1x Drone Controller, 6x Gun Drone; 323pts

10x Pathfinders, 10x Markerlights; 80pts
10x Pathfinders, 3x Rail Rifles, 7x Markerlights; 137pts
6x Vespid Stingwings; 75pts

Total: 2504pts - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

The list doesn't fit too well into detachments (with 5 Fast Attack and 2 Elites) but I'd say it works well enough. What do you think?

Floozieguy
Shas

Post#4 » Sep 11 2017 10:22

Yeah great!!
Thanks both of you for ur help. im going to build it up like this and very excited how it works.
Thanks a lot :)

And what would you for 500 additional point, so we come up to a total of 3000. I like the longtrike + hammerhead (maybe forgeworld modell) duo, but i don't know if it fits into the list.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Sep 11 2017 07:28

Floozieguy wrote:Yeah great!!
Thanks both of you for ur help. im going to build it up like this and very excited how it works.
Thanks a lot :)

And what would you for 500 additional point, so we come up to a total of 3000. I like the longtrike + hammerhead (maybe forgeworld modell) duo, but i don't know if it fits into the list.

Going to 3000 points is a lot for a new army, but if you like Tau, then go for it! Adding Longstrike is good, but you already have plenty of anti-tank, so the second Hammerhead might not be necessary. Here's an expanded version:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS (156)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (225)
Troops - 10x Fire Warriors (80)
Troops - 10x Breachers (80)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x MV1 Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 1x Homing Beacon (110)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 1x Homing Beacon (110)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x CIB, 1x Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 10x Markerlights (80)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 7x Markerlights, 3x Rail Rifles (137)
Fast Attack - 8x Vespid Stingwings (120)
Fast Attack - 8x Gun Drones (64)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Target Lock, ATS (415)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Target Lock, ATS (415)

Total: 2996 - Command Points: 9 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment, 2 Outrider Detachments)

-

It's hard to be "competetive" at 3000 points or more, since there isn't really a "meta", but a list like this will certainly be able to put out a lot of firepower!

Floozieguy
Shas

Post#6 » Sep 15 2017 10:45

Nice :) thank u, i like this list .
But i have a question, why taking CIBs and not plasma rifle ? On models with toughness up to 5 the plasma rifle is doing more wounds, especially per points. for vehicle with toughness 7 or higher the CIBs become prevlent. Or do they just fit into the structure of the list, with their range and the ability to overcharge?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Sep 15 2017 12:39

Floozieguy wrote:Nice :) thank u, i like this list .
But i have a question, why taking CIBs and not plasma rifle ? On models with toughness up to 5 the plasma rifle is doing more wounds, especially per points. for vehicle with toughness 7 or higher the CIBs become prevlent. Or do they just fit into the structure of the list, with their range and the ability to overcharge?

CIB's are better because they are more flexible. Plasma rifles are okish for a very narrow group of targets whereas CIB is good over a much larger group.

Floozieguy
Shas

Post#8 » Sep 15 2017 01:57

Yojimbob wrote:CIB's are better because they are more flexible. Plasma rifles are okish for a very narrow group of targets whereas CIB is good over a much larger group.

Okay i have no more questions. Thanks you for the great help. i will give feedback after my first games :)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Sep 16 2017 06:48

Yojimbob wrote:

CIB's are better because they are more flexible. Plasma rifles are okish for a very narrow group of targets whereas CIB is good over a much larger group.

Good summary of the issue. The Plasma Rifle is a cheap and moderately-effective weapon, but the CIB offers more range, more shots, better strength, and two shooting profiles... the only drawback is the worse AP. The CIBs can engage a wide range of targets.

In the army list we're working on, the Y'vahras already offer a ton of point-blank firepower, whereas the CIB-carrying XV8s offer a little more range and skirmish potential.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Sep 18 2017 10:17

Arka0415 wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:

Good summary of the issue. The Plasma Rifle is a cheap and moderately-effective weapon, but the CIB offers more range, more shots, better strength, and two shooting profiles... the only drawback is the worse AP. The CIBs can engage a wide range of targets.

In the army list we're working on, the Y'vahras already offer a ton of point-blank firepower, whereas the CIB-carrying XV8s offer a little more range and skirmish potential.

Negative on the range. CIB is only 18" whereas plasma rifles are 24" though they are hardly worth it at that range getting a single shot. Even within RF range of 12" they rarely do enough work on the hardy targets due to s6.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Sep 18 2017 10:22

Yojimbob wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:

Negative on the range. CIB is only 18" whereas plasma rifles are 24" though they are hardly worth it at that range getting a single shot. Even within RF range of 12" they rarely do enough work on the hardy targets due to s6.

Positive on the range since the Plasma Rifle is only comparable when it's in Rapid Fire range. :P

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Sep 18 2017 07:47

Panzer wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:Negative on the range. CIB is only 18" whereas plasma rifles are 24" though they are hardly worth it at that range getting a single shot. Even within RF range of 12" they rarely do enough work on the hardy targets due to s6.

Positive on the range since the Plasma Rifle is only comparable when it's in Rapid Fire range. :P

I mean, technically negative, but you do not want to use the 24" range profile. The damage output does not compare at all to that of the CIB. At 24" range even with 9 Plasma Rifles you're looking at maybe two dead Marines.

Return to “Cadre Building”