Optimal Markerlight per army size

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Optimal Markerlight per army size

Post#1 » Aug 28 2017 01:44

What are people finding, or speculating, is the optimal number of markerlights per army size?

I'm currently putting a list together and for 100 PL I've got:
2- BS 2+ Markerlights
20- BS 4+ Markerlights

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: Optimal Markerlight per army size

Post#2 » Aug 28 2017 01:58

Depends on what you're running in your army. Is it nothing but BS4+? Probably enough to get 5+ lights on a single target for one turn. Is it Commander spam? Probably very very little.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Aug 28 2017 02:03

Depends on how many big suits without Target Lock I have (usually none), how many Seeker Missiles, how much cover I expect etc.

Since I like playing with Rail Rifles in my Pathfinder teams and since I need additional bodies to protect them I usually play with 2x8 Pathfinder. So 10 Markerlights spread through two units.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 28 2017 03:48

Can anyone answer this question for 7th Edition armies?

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Aug 28 2017 03:50

Knives wrote:Can anyone answer this question for 7th Edition armies?

Best Markerlight source for 7th edition was a Commander with Drone Controller in a unit of Markerlight Drones or a Drone-Network formation consisting of 4x4 Markerlight Drones.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 28 2017 03:52

Panzer wrote:

Best Markerlight source for 7th edition was a Commander with Drone Controller in a unit of Markerlight Drones or a Drone-Network formation consisting of 4x4 Markerlight Drones.

Should fire warriors or crisis suits use marker light drones? How many should we have in the army total etc. Not really sure how they work tactically 1 or 2 per unit?

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Aug 29 2017 12:04

Knives wrote:
Panzer wrote:

Should fire warriors or crisis suits use marker light drones? How many should we have in the army total etc. Not really sure how they work tactically 1 or 2 per unit?

Well not if you want to be efficient.
Also no Drones in units for 7th. It just doesn't work out. It only makes your unit more susceptible to moraltests by having a higher number of models in the unit.
I pretty much told you everything you need to know about Markerlights in 7th.

I'll give you the same advise others gave you elsewhere here about 7th. Look up some 7th edition army list threads. We won't be able to give you any new answers and you are kinda leading topics offtopic with your 7th edition questions to be honest.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 29 2017 12:21

I did take your advice and I have been looking at older lists. However I am still learning about tau and have yet to play a single game. My experience even understanding the lists and how each unit works together is limited. I never meant to offend. Just trying to learn.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Aug 29 2017 01:42

Knives wrote:I did take your advice and I have been looking at older lists. However I am still learning about tau and have yet to play a single game. My experience even understanding the lists and how each unit works together is limited. I never meant to offend. Just trying to learn.

Then I suggest trying to play a few games. Some things you won't understand until you've tried it for yourself .;)

Return to “Cadre Building”