500 Point Competitive List Help

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

500 Point Competitive List Help

Post#1 » Aug 30 2017 05:40

Hey all!

There's a small competition at my FLGS on Friday, 500 points each. It will be myself and all the regulars vs all of the shop employees. As far as I know, I'll be facing Imperial forces mainly (I imagine a mix of IG and Marines).

My current list is looking as follows:

Unbound, 507 points

HQ
- Cadre Fireblade, 42pts
- Coldstar Commander, 148pts

Troops
- Strike Team (minimum), 40pts

Flyer
- Sun Shark, 167pts

Fortification
- Tidewall Droneport, 110pts

My plan is to fill the Droneport with Marker drones and use the Fireblade's BS for them to gain some solid Markerlight shots, use the bomber to deal with blobs of infantry, the actual Tidewall itself to give my Strike team some survivability and the Coldstar for flying around the field to either claim objectives (if we're playing them) or using it to harass and pick off targets. Also, could someone remind me; do the Fire Warriors gain the Fireblades buffs when in the Droneport?

How does this look as a reasonably competitive list?

If you have any other suggestions, I own the following models:

Spoiler!
1 x Cadre Fireblade
1 x Coldstar Commander
1 x Darkstrider
1 x Ethereal

10 x Breachers
10 x Fire Warriors
3 x Stealth Suits (one with FB)
3 x Crisis Suits (magnetised)
1 x Riptide

7 x Pathfinders, 1 x Shas'ui, 1 x Rail Rifle, 1 x Ion Rifle
1 x Recon Drone, 1 x Grav Inhib Drone, 1 x Pulse Accel Drone
1 x Pirahnha

1 x Hammerhead
1 x Sky Ray
1 x Broadside

1 x Sun Shark

1 x Droneport

... and all drones that come with, about 20 in total I believe, about half and half gun and markers with a couple of shield drones for good measure.

Our group usually has no problem with proxies, so I can use my Crisis as Hazard, Riptide as Y'vahra, etc. They also will match me point for point, so going a few points over the limit isn't a massive issue, providing it's not ridiculous of course :D

Thanks for any suggestions!
:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :evil:

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: 500 Point Competitive List Help

Post#2 » Aug 30 2017 09:30

152 points for good accurate markerlights that are still just 4 drones at the end of the day in a 500 point list is absurdly useless. You might like the idea of getting 5 lights on a single target but it's a REALLY unnecessary point sink at that level of a game. Try it in 1250 or above. Going to also not recommend the bomber in such a small game as well. Take a QFC(coldstar used to proxy), fish with breachers and darkstrider, strike team and fireblade, pathfinders with all the special weapons you have and drones with every squad if you can. Should be good on points.

An alternative depends on how many gun drones you have. Min squad of stealth with a DC and fireblade nearby with a blob of drones.

You can always try Longstrike with seekers though that's 225 points but will take care of any big threat on the table while also wounding a lot of small stuff if needed.

Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 31 2017 07:09

Well, I'm more focused on putting single lights on a couple of targets, so I can use both my Coldstar and Strike team a little more effectively. I'd happily use Longstrike, but as you said, that's nearly half the points I have and wouldn't be able to do much else.

I like the idea of a Fish with Breachers, but for minimum squads of Strike, Breacher and Pathfinder with no drones at all, a FB Commander and Fireblade & Darkstrider puts me at 496 points, which I fear would make me very much underpowered considering I have no drones for saviour protocols, no special weapons with Pathfinders and minimum squad sizes all round, meaning they'll probably be wiped very quickly.

Regardless, I appreciate the input!
:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :evil:

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 31 2017 08:36

You could always run my 500 point list of dumbness. Didn't lose a game. Played against a 10 man wraithguard warlock list, a flyrant hormagaunt list, and a random deathguard list. Only had trouble with the wraithguard list because I was unluckily overwounding a ton.

QFC
Fish with 5 pathfinders 3 of them rails, also 5 man breacher in the fish
Vespid

relasine
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Aug 31 2017 08:46

Let's put it this way: a single Markerlight grants a 6% accuracy bonus to a BS4+ model and a 13% accuracy bonus on a BS2+ model. You're investing 22% of your build total in the Drone Port alone. This does not seem like a particularly smart investment.

Return to “Cadre Building”