How would a fluffy list look?

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

How would a fluffy list look?

Post#1 » Aug 31 2017 07:14

So I'm intrigued about the concept of making a more fluff-based list than crunch, but it got me thinking - what exactly about our forces would make a list un-fluffy?

The only thing that springs to mind is fielding Shadowsun and Farsight together, but beyond that, I can't really see a huge amount that would be an issue?

Admittedly I'm not incredibly well-versed in T'au lore beyond what was in the 7th edition Codex, so thoughts from those a little more experienced than me?
:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :evil:

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: How would a fluffy list look?

Post#2 » Aug 31 2017 07:37

Depends on your narrative.
Honestly anything that's not spamming 1-2 units (and especially not the 'rare' units like Riptides and Stormsurges) is fluffy depending on your narrative.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Aug 31 2017 07:52

It really depends on what you consider 'fluffy'.

For a typical Hunter Cadre however, a good rule of thumb is the less battlesuits, the better. Contrary to what more recent GW marketing might have you believe, in all but the most recent of background material battlesuits are a rarity. The bulk of a typical Hunter Cadre is teams of Firewarriors, often mounted in Devilfish, backed up by some grav-tanks with a few Battlesuits in support.

It's easy to get caught up in the glitz and glamour and giant robot imagery, but at the end of the day Battlesuits are supposed to be an elite few - the Tau equivalent to Terminators, if you will. Indeed, Battlesuit production is carefully regulated and heavily restricted by the Ethereals to ensure that the only Shas who receive them are worthy and can be trusted to act in the Greater Good (it's not unknown for the power afforded by a Battlesuit to go to one's head, a phenomenon called Battlesuit neurosis). Suit-heavy forces are therefore the exception rather than the norm.

Thus, for a more lore-focused army, consider the following:

- Lots of Firewarriors for troops (preferrably tried and tested pulse rifle and carbine wielding ones, but breaching teams work too in a pinch).

- High mechanisation.

- Just a couple of Crisis Teams and one or two other kinds of Battlesuit.

If you're going with an Enclave force, it may also pay to consider older background. Again, all-Battlesuit Enclave forces are, believe it or not, almost entirely a product of late 6th edition. In earlier background the Enclave Tau were essentially a guerrilla insurgency force - they weren't as well equipped as Empire forces, but they made up for it with training and skill, especially in close quarters. This was reflected in Enclave armies having restricted access to most Tau army list options (Gun Drone squadrons, Ethereals and Auxiliary units weren't allowed to be taken at all, and you could only take a maximum of 1 unit for everything else except Firewarriors, Devilfish and Crisis Teams), but in return gaining the ability to upgrade their close combat stats.

Thus, if you're looking for a different flavour of background-focused Enclave force, consider the following:

- No Auxilliaries, Ethereals or Drone Squadrons (outside of squad upgrade Drones in 8th).

- Only two selections each for Fast Attack and Heavy Support, with no repeats (so two different choices in each category). This was in practice the net result of the Enclave restrictions in the original 3rd edition Tau army list.

- A maximum of just one Stealth Team, if any.

- No large (I.E. above Broadside size) battlesuits. Such advanced and heavy equipment is in limited supply and not available to your force. Your daring Enclave fighters will have to make do without them.

Post-6th edition background has added some other elements in, like more focus on battlesuits, but the above points should help you if you want to field an army closer to the original classic Tau background.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Aug 31 2017 09:09

Yea, I'd say those days when Enclaves had low supply of everything are mostly over... They even have "traitors" in Tau empire providing them with new tech like riptides, ghostkeels, etc. The focus on battlesuits might be because of they actually want their buddies to survive, they aren't considered as expendable as other tau are for ethereals. In T'au Empire, battlesuits are scarce by choice, you have to deserve one to get it. The enclaves probably also have more "tech" resources than they need with low population, them employing the earth caste on the battlefield would support that.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 31 2017 09:37

Well my gaming group don't use special characters.

It's highly immersion breaking to see a named character like Row boat gills man fighting along side space marines who arnt ultra smurfs.

The old rules used to allow you to request your advisary to not use them.

To me characters break immersion. And are only lore friendly if you field them in massive battles whith proper sept colors or chapter colors etc.

For example I have impieral fists. I never use lysander.

I refuse to play against row boat or abandon , magnus in pick up games. I think they only belong in huge battles plus 4000 points.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Aug 31 2017 09:44

Knives wrote:Well my gaming group don't use special characters.

It's highly immersion breaking to see a named character like Row boat gills man fighting along side space marines who arnt ultra smurfs.

The old rules used to allow you to request your advisary to not use them.

To me characters break immersion. And are only lore friendly if you field them in massive battles whith proper sept colors or chapter colors etc.

For example I have impieral fists. I never use lysander.

I refuse to play against row boat or abandon , magnus in pick up games. I think they only belong in huge battles plus 4000 points.

Only if you create a poor narrative for it. Guilliman fighting alongside a different chapter could happen without a problem if the situation calls for it.
Maybe he got ambushed and got only a rather small number of Marines at hand atm and he send them to a different place to achieve some objective or whatever while he decided to stay behind and lead the Marines of Chapter X to protect another important facility or whatever.
It only becomes weird when he gets used all the time, but that's kinda the case for all Lord of War.

I come from WHFB 7e where nobody played with special characters because they either were incredibly broken or useless. I like seeing special characters actually getting used in 40k.

Not every character has a whole army at hands all the time and not every encounter with enemy forces is planned. To each their own though.

Return to “Cadre Building”