I've got all these XV15's. I want to use them (2K fun list)

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

I've got all these XV15's. I want to use them (2K fun list)

Post#1 » Sep 01 2017 01:31

Okay, so, disclaimers first:

1. I've never been hugely competitive as a player. My girlfriend is picking up the game, and as a former banker/teller/trainer, does numbers in her head incredibly fast. She also maintains a view of the strategic I struggle to match, and will likely surpass me within short order once she starts playing. I'd like to be good enough to continually challenge her.

2. Eighth edition is shaping up so far to actually be a fairly fun edition. But I don't want to have to drop a bunch on giant suits that don't really fit the older mentality of the Tau. "Why make a bigger suit when you can call a Manta?"

3. I'd like to actually be decently competitive. Flyers are a thing, Knights are a thing, silly amounts of first turn charge/over 12" away shooting debuffs are a thing.

4. I have all the models, and they have been woefully underused (also, most of the Vespid are unassembled). I've seen a couple of lists that have included Vespid, and they seem like functional units. They're decently fast, have decent guns, and are at least as surviveable as guardsman.

Okay, all of that out of the way, here's my attempt at a design of a competitive list, built with an eye towards going first to be as in your face and as fast as possible with a lot of mobile dakka. Tau seem to have been forced away from the gunline and more towards learning to operate in all three phases even moreso than in 7th. There's plenty of spam in this list, but it's intentional.

Spearhead Detachment
-Shadowsun - 173
--XV22 w/ Fusion Blaster x2, Command Drone

-XV15 Stealth Team - 248
--Shas'vre w/ Burst Cannon, Adv. Targeting Sys, Homing Beacon
--Shas'ui w/ Burst Cannon, Adv. Targeting Sys x5

-XV15 Stealth Team -248

-XV15 Stealth Team - 248

-Vespid Stingwing Squad - 75
--Strain Leader w/ Neutron Blaster
--Vespid w/ Neutron Blaster x4

Spearhead Detachment
-Commander - 141
--XV8 Battlesuit w/ Fusion x3, Velocity Tracker

-XV8 Team - 279
--Shas'vre w/ Fusion x2, Flamer
--Shas'ui w/ Fusion x2, Flamer

-XV8 Team - 279
--Shas'vre w/ Fusion x2, Flamer

-XV8 Team - 219
--Shas'vre w/ Plasma x2, Flamer
--Shas'ui w/ Plasma x2, Flamer

-Vespid Stingwing Squad - 90
--Strain Leader w/ Neutron Blaster
--Vespid w/ Neutron Blaster x5

=====

So, some thoughts:

1. I'm light on dedicated anti-flyer. My original design had a Ghostkeel with a VT and TL, but I simply couldn't make it fit for the points. Vespid are fast enough they can actually cut the chord if need be and tie up a flyer for a turn. Though the flyer can just disengage and fly away, as far as I'm aware, they cannot shoot the next turn, thereby nullifying much of their impact and allowing me to position to deal with them.

2. Zero. Troops. Yeah, I know. For units with ObSec, I'm going to be hard-pressed to ensure I kill enough to keep troops off objectives. It's a risk I knowingly accept for the tradeoff of having what I feel like is the ultimate in elite smash-n-grab tactics.

3. I'm light on Kill Points. Ehhhhh, yeah. With the exception of the Vespid, I'm hoping the new survivability of suits will help make up for that. Only playtesting will tell, though I'd be interested to hear numbers from any of the mathhammer folks that want to run them.

4. When I say designed to get up close as fast as possible, I mean it. I'm likely going to go first with only five drops on the table and ten total, and by declaring Mont'ka first turn, they can get there, drop their homing beacons and call for the fusion and plasma suits. Once shooting is done, they charge the turn they arrive to protect themselves against return fire. Against heavy melee armies, my intention is to knock out as much of their melee offensive punch as I can.

5. I actually feel like I've got a good mix of anti-infantry and anti-vehicle in the list, with the exception of flyers mentioned above. While it is all concentrated in fairly tight packets, I'm not sure what the local meta is for my area in general, so playtesting is required, though there are a few folks who go to Adepticon and ITC events.

6. Only 40 models! And mostly pewter at that. Easy set-up and tear-down. And lots of old-school third and fourth ed appeal nostalgia.

7. No markerlights, only one drone. This is a high risk, high reward list. There's a lot of redundancy built in, but one bad round of rolls could spell the end of this list, while one good round of rolls could nearly table an opponent. It still feels like it will be a fun list to play, even if it doesn't end up being competitive.

=====

I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys about the list. As an aside, I've never been super competitive before, but I feel like I'm finally starting to get a better feel for target priority in 8th after a couple of games, and how movement can help make an army really, really impactful.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: I've got all these XV15's. I want to use them (2K attempt at competitive)

Post#2 » Sep 01 2017 01:42

Definitely looks like a fun list though you'll lose against most lists with lots of troops once the Chapter approves gets released due ObSec. Probably even earlier against AdMech, Tyranids and Astra Militarum once they got their Codex.

Also for the love of god take Drones with your Crisis. They are way too expensive to be played without any Drones that protect them.
Same with the Commander.

Having not even a single Markerlight to re-roll 1s will hurt you a lot as well. I'd honestly replace all the Vespid with Pathfinder and Shield/Gun Drones.

Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: I've got all these XV15's. I want to use them (2K fun list)

Post#3 » Sep 01 2017 02:58

The list looks really fun!

I have to agree with Panzer though on lacking drones/markerlights.
While I prefer Pathfinders, an option could be to take marker drones and swap one flamer for a DC, giving you the same chance to hit as stationary pathfinders.

Also a small note on your charging the vespids on flyers. In 8th edition, anything that has the "FLY" keyword is able to shoot without penalties after disengaging.
However, keep in mind this is also valid for your entire army, since everything also has the "FLY" keyword, meaning you could charge something with low CC punch to keep them from firing!

A change I would make is dropping the larger vespid squad, giving you enough points for 8 marker drones and 2 drone controllers.
Also I think I'd drop 1 XV15's squad ATS, for another 6 gun drones, while the 2 flamers which made space for the controllers is another 2. Mix and match to taste in your squads ;)

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#4 » Sep 01 2017 06:16

So what I'm gathering is that Marker drones are a, "do not leave at home" kind of thing from this edition.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Sep 01 2017 06:20

Well Marker Drones were a must-have in 7th and okay-ish in 8th.
Since you are lacking both, Drones for protection and Markerlights, it would be more efficient for you to go with Marker Drones + Drone Controller instead of Shield-/Gun-Drones + Pathfinder.
though I'd still give the Commander Shield Drones since your opponent can't just ignore them if they are infront of your Commander due his Character keyword.

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#6 » Sep 02 2017 06:54

Hmmm. Alright, thanks for the feedback.

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#7 » Sep 02 2017 12:43

So, I've gone back and revised the list. Got rid of the Vespid and added marker drones. It's still unlikely to win any tournaments, but the markerlights should at least help the lack of re-rolls, and I went ahead and added some shield drones to the Commander and Shadowsun. I'm intrigued to see how it plays out, and I'm trying to set up a game either this weekend or the weekend after next.

++Vanguard Detachment++

-Shadowsun - 195
--Fusion x2, Command Drone, Shield Drone x2

-XV15 Stealth Team - 248
--Shas'vre w/ BC, ATS, Homing Beacon
--Shas'ui w/ BC, ATS x5

-XV15 Stealth Team - 248
--Shas'ui w/ BC, ATS x5

-XV15 Stealth Team - 248
--Shas'ui w/ BC, ATS x5

++Vanguard Detachment++

-Commander - 157
--Fusion x3, Velocity Tracker, Shield Drone x2

-XV8 Crisis Team - 279

-XV8 Crisis Team - 279

-XV8 Crisis Team - 219

-Tactical Drone Squadron - 60
--Marker Drone x6

-Tactical Drone Squadron - 60
--Marker Drone x6

Also, Jhul'vod, you're completely correct. I don't know why I spaced that, though I most certainly did. I appreciate the correction.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Sep 03 2017 04:10

Now get yourself 1-2 Drone Controller and you're good to go .

Return to “Cadre Building”