2k tac semi competitive

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
bansh
Shas
Posts: 24

2k tac semi competitive

Post#1 » Sep 03 2017 04:36

Hello fellow blue commies, just getting into tau after fleshing out my gsc list for this edition....
With the obvious changes to our prices this is what im thinking for our local meta, which is as follows
Ts with magnus
Orks with gorknmorkanaughts
Ad mech with knight
Eldar with 2 wraithknights
Sm mech
Sm 45 marines
Tau with stormsurge
Dg.....cant wait for mortarion to be released
Am....car park
Csm.....30-40zerkers in rhinos & raider with kharn and knight

So this is what im thinking

Battalion
Fireblade
Coldstar
10x fire warriors
10x firewarriors
10x kroor

5 pathfinders
4 marker drone
4 marker drone

Spearhead
Fusion comm

6x xv25 burst homing beacon
Ghostkeel cyclic flamers sheild gen
6x xv8 3x3fusion 3x3flamers

Superheavy
Stormsurge blastcannon flamers sheild gen ats vt

So the basic idea is to setup the ss with firewarriors infront to screen and kroot to protect the rear

Xv25 and keel to set up in good cover and either lure enemy strength or dive into flank...eitherway dropping beacon and unleashing suit hell...ideally then the ss and infantry will push forward crushing opponent in the middle.......your thoughts,

bansh
Shas
Posts: 24

Re: 2k tac semi competitive

Post#2 » Sep 04 2017 12:11

I also have the following to choose from....
Iontide
Bursttide
2xmissleside
Railside
60more kroot
3x krootox
Shaper
Etherealx3
5pathfinder
20 firewarriors
6x xv8
20 or so drones

Im able to trade some nid swarm for sunsharks or hammerheads......but id need convincing, i would like to try 2 bombers, not sure what to drop....

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1946

Re: 2k tac semi competitive

Post#3 » Sep 04 2017 12:59

Looking at your meta, it seems like you'll want to have some pretty serious anti-vehicle and anti-monster firepower. So many of those lists have giant creatures like Magnus or Gorkanaughts, Knights, Wraithknights... scary stuff. Assuming you aren't going to buy any more models (you have an impressive collection already!) here's what you probably need to have:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Homing Beacon (110)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Fusion Blasters, 3x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (327)
Heavy Support - 1x Broadside w/ 2x HYMP, 2x SMS, ATS (210)
LoW - Stormsurge w/ Pulse Driver Cannon, 2x Burst Cannons, ATS, Shield Generator, Counterfire Defense Systems (491)

This core should give you the long-range and close-range firepower you need to deal with some of those heavy threats. The Missileside isn't really ideal, but in the absence of other Commanders it should give you some decent long-range firepower. With the remaining 686 points, we need anti-infantry and screening units.

HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 12x Fire Warriors (96)
Troops - 12x Fire Warriors (96)
Troops - 12x Fire Warriors (96)
Fast Attack - Tactical Drones w/ 8x Gun Drones (64)
Fast Attack - Tactical Drones w/ 8x Gun Drones (64)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders (80)

With these units added, we have solid anti-infantry and screening as well as decent Markerlight support. This also gives us 148 points left to spend. With these let's add a Coldstar, as it fits (almost) perfectly.

HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ ATS, Shield Generator (150)

Here's the final list:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ ATS, Shield Generator (150)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 12x Fire Warriors (96)
Troops - 12x Fire Warriors (96)
Troops - 12x Fire Warriors (96)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Homing Beacon (110)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Fusion Blasters, 3x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (327)
Fast Attack - Tactical Drones w/ 8x Gun Drones (64)
Fast Attack - Tactical Drones w/ 8x Gun Drones (64)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders (80)
Heavy Support - 1x Broadside w/ 2x High-Yield Missile Pods, 2x SMS, ATS (210)
LoW - Stormsurge w/ Pulse Driver Cannon, 2x Burst Cannons, ATS, Shield Generator, Counterfire Defense Systems (491)

Total: 2002 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment, 1 Super-Heavy Auxiliary)

-

What do you think?

bansh
Shas
Posts: 24

Re: 2k tac semi competitive

Post#4 » Sep 04 2017 01:38

Yeah its pretty full on.....we have a 2k tournament every year with about 25 tables running 2k each, was 1500 in 7th. So we are always tuning up for that aswell as the odd impromptu weekend bash (we used to use the community comp system in 7th and aim for around 5 or so handicap points, kept the balance well)

I try to keep the meta on its toes with my other army being gsc...3 russes with demolisher 2x battcan 9x hvy flamer 40-50 stealers and a heap of neophytes with lascannons....so luckily i never have to face what i think would be taus hardest matchup

On the stormsurge....
1 why do you think the driver over the blast cannon? Just the range? I do like to keep moving forwardand applying pressure on the mid table area
2 as above for the burst cannons? I personally think the flamers are better mainly as everyone seems to try and take down the surge with meele, and 8 more s5 shots is a bit meh (does any other army have the luxury of going meh over s5 guns)
3 i normally have vt....not for my meta so much....but its super nice when someone does bring a stormraven....although ftgg hitting on 5s with that many shots....hmmm

Missleside.....gee at half the points of the surge i just don't think its worth the points....it cant really move and shoot....i absolutely love these guys....hence i own 3....ive tried and tried to like them, i mean 2x the shots of 7th....2x the price....makes me sad

Gun drones...i know everyone raves about them...im yet to have them do much other than die before they get in range.....markers have better range so get shot less by bolters...although i love the idea of gun drone swarms rushing the enemy

Do you think 3 xv25s is enough to get the beacon in the right place at the right time? I don't always alpha on 1st turn....i like the enemy to commit and spread out a little,

Finally....im using battlescribe to make my lists....is the one i posted accurate? Just seems that by dropping 3 xv8s 3 xv25s and the keel all im really getting is the xv88......

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1946

Re: 2k tac semi competitive

Post#5 » Sep 05 2017 08:55

If you're going for a competitive list, then we can definitely make this a lot stronger! You bring up some good points too- if we tune this list toward more points-efficient units, we can make it much more competitive. Let's see what we can do!

bansh wrote:On the stormsurge....
1 why do you think the driver over the blast cannon? Just the range? I do like to keep moving forwardand applying pressure on the mid table area
2 as above for the burst cannons? I personally think the flamers are better mainly as everyone seems to try and take down the surge with meele, and 8 more s5 shots is a bit meh (does any other army have the luxury of going meh over s5 guns)
3 i normally have vt....not for my meta so much....but its super nice when someone does bring a stormraven....although ftgg hitting on 5s with that many shots....hmmm

The Blastcannon is a cool gun, but you want to keep the Stormsurge as far away from enemies as possible. It can't be guarded with Drones nor repaired, and it absolutely melts in melee. The Blastcannon's range is just too short. Since the Pulse Driver has a long range, you want to pair it with other long(er) range guns, like Burst Cannons. However, if you're planning on using the Stormsurge around the 18" range band, then Burst Cannons and the Blastcannon would make a nice pair.

bansh wrote:Missleside.....gee at half the points of the surge i just don't think its worth the points....it cant really move and shoot....i absolutely love these guys....hence i own 3....ive tried and tried to like them, i mean 2x the shots of 7th....2x the price....makes me sad

You're right- the Missileside is not a good unit. However, looking at your opponents, getting anti-tank firepower is really important, especially seeing as you don't have Hammerheads or many Commanders. We can drop it though, and focus on other things.

bansh wrote:Gun drones...i know everyone raves about them...im yet to have them do much other than die before they get in range.....markers have better range so get shot less by bolters...although i love the idea of gun drone swarms rushing the enemy

Gun Drones, by themselves, are the best screening units we have. Use them to block enemy charges and screen your more valuable units, such as Fire Warrior gunlines and of course the Stormsurge.

bansh wrote:Do you think 3 xv25s is enough to get the beacon in the right place at the right time? I don't always alpha on 1st turn....i like the enemy to commit and spread out a little

It's not enough. However, you aren't going to need to use the beacon every time- the beacon is just insurance, to use if necessary. Normally, you drop the XV8s 18" away, and fire away with their Fusion Blasters. If you get good placement with the Stealthsuits, or have no other choice, you can use the beacon.

bansh wrote:Finally....im using battlescribe to make my lists....is the one i posted accurate? Just seems that by dropping 3 xv8s 3 xv25s and the keel all im really getting is the xv88......

You're getting more anti-infantry firepower and more long-range firepower. However, if you're going for a different kind of list, then we can change things up! Here's another list, better than my original.

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ ATS, Shield Generator (150)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 8x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (67)
Troops - 8x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (67)
Troops - 8x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (67)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Homing Beacon (110)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Fusion Blasters, 3x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (327)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Cyclic Ion Blasters; 6x Gun Drones (336)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 7x Markerlights, 3x Rail Rifles (121)
LoW - Stormsurge w/ Pulse Blastcannon, 2x Burst Cannons, ATS, Shield Generator, Stimulant Injector (437)

Total: 1996 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Super-Heavy Auxiliary)

-

What do you think?

bansh
Shas
Posts: 24

Re: 2k tac semi competitive

Post#6 » Sep 06 2017 04:52

Ive got a couple of games teed up for friday, ill give both a crack and see what suits with the way i want to play tau this edition, may even write a synopsis... ;)

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1946

Re: 2k tac semi competitive

Post#7 » Sep 07 2017 12:36

bansh wrote:Ive got a couple of games teed up for friday, ill give both a crack and see what suits with the way i want to play tau this edition, may even write a synopsis... ;)

Let us know how they go! Tau'va!

bansh
Shas
Posts: 24

Re: 2k tac semi competitive

Post#8 » Sep 10 2017 04:46

Went pretty well, the keel didnt do that much but i was up against a lot of armour, do i drop ats for the target lock? Or the sheil gen?also having it to support the xv25s, i feel gives me a very solid flank....-2/-1 to hit all models....2+saves....and 20 wounds makes it a very good tanking force....

Suits went well....except for poor dice rolling, but thats me

It has been bought to my attention that the surge cant ftgg, so to get around this, im more than happy to put him front and centre....inviting the charge directly, and the 60 s5 shots from the surrounding firewarriors ftgg should be enough to blunt and assault

Cds on the surge is king, i found the blast cannon perfect, although i strugle to understand s10 0ap....makes ats a must have, and sheild gen.....i would like to try and fit in vt.....but cannot ever see myself going back from ats

8 drones lasted 1 turn of ork shooting......i guess thats enough, it meant the suits survived until my next turn, but then i had 1 marker left for the game.i need more but where to get the points?.....

I think the base principle of my army's functions are sound....i don't think i made too many mistakes considering its my first game with tau since 7th.
I did forget to kauyon......does mantastrike count as moving for kauyon?

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1946

Re: 2k tac semi competitive

Post#9 » Sep 11 2017 06:50

Can you tell us what list you used for the battle?


bansh wrote:Went pretty well, the keel didnt do that much but i was up against a lot of armour, do i drop ats for the target lock? Or the sheil gen?

I don't recommend using the Ghostkeel at all, but if you use it, why not use both the Target Lock and ATS? Shield Generator is far too expensive, it's almost 25% of the cost of the Ghostkeel.


bansh wrote:It has been bought to my attention that the surge cant ftgg, so to get around this, im more than happy to put him front and centre....inviting the charge directly, and the 60 s5 shots from the surrounding firewarriors ftgg should be enough to blunt and assault

If you want the Stormsurge to use overwatch, yeah, you'll need to have it be charged directly. However, remember this- any unit that's powerful enough to kill a Stormsurge in close combat isn't going to care about overwatch. It's more likely that the Stormsurge gets destroyed by cheap Lascannons or an extremely powerful close combat unit, like a Knight. In both cases, overwatch isn't really going to help.


bansh wrote:Cds on the surge is king, i found the blast cannon perfect, although i strugle to understand s10 0ap....makes ats a must have, and sheild gen.....i would like to try and fit in vt.....but cannot ever see myself going back from ats

ATS is absolutely the best item of wargear the Stormsurge can take. If there are lots of flyers and flying vehicles in your local meta, then the Velocity Tracker is a great upgrade for the Stormsurge. Why not use all three; ATS, Shield Generator, and Velocity Tracker?

bansh wrote:8 drones lasted 1 turn of ork shooting......i guess thats enough, it meant the suits survived until my next turn, but then i had 1 marker left for the game.i need more but where to get the points?.....

If you're using drones on an XV8 squad that's going to deploy via Manta Strike, use Gun Drones for the alpha damage. If you're using drones to defend XV8s that need to weather a lot of enemy fire, use shield Drones. In either case, you probably shouldn't use Marker Drones as defensive units.


bansh wrote:does mantastrike count as moving for kauyon?

Sadly yes, you can't use Kauyon if you use Manta Strike on the same turn.

Return to “Cadre Building”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest