First 8th 1000 point

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Nooch'un
Shas'Saal

First 8th 1000 point

Post#1 » Sep 05 2017 02:07

Battalion HQ.
-----/-----

1st Elsy'eir Commander Nooch'an
4x Fusion Blaster
2x Shield Drone

Sept Veteran Elsy'eir Commander Sey'tan
3x CiB
2x Marker Drone

Cadre Fireblade Gar'ban
1x MarkerLight
1x Pulse Rifle

-----/-----
Elite.
-----\-----

Elsy'eir Xv8 Crisis Support Response
A. 2x Flamer / 1x Drone Controller
B/C. 3x Flamer
4x Gun Drone
2x Marker Drone

-----\-----
Troop
-----/-----

Strike Team x7 + Turret
Strike Team x7 + Turret
Strike Team x7

-----/-----
Fast Attack
-----\-----

Pathfinders x4 + 3 Rail Rifle + 1 Marker + 2 Marker Drones
Pathfinders x4 + 4 Marker + 2 Marker Drones

-----\-----

1000 Pts

So my plan here is to use the fire warriors to draw the enemy in with support from Commander Sey'tan, Cadre and the pathfinders without rails, have the rails ready to pic off the wounded, Commander Nooch'an on Manta drop as well as the Xv8 team.

My hope is to drop the Xv8 team to burn away the charge on my fire teams, and use Nooch'an for what she's good for, melting.

I am facing the Waaaaggghhhh!!!! In my first 1000 point duel in a decade, and we are not sharing lists, I'm also preparing for a tournament in October.

Current Models:
2 Etherals
1 Commander
6 Xv8 (All Commander/Coldstar Ready)
20 Breacher/Strike
10 Path
19 Drones
2 Tact Turrets
(Also Gladly take tips on next purchase thinking stealth)

I made this list without my codex since I had to travel to my hometown for family stuff and my codex was just delieved back home, I used a 6th edition for ideas and the army builder resource on ATT to figure point cost and play around.

All criticism and critiques are very much appreciated and wanted as it's been a very long time since I've played and I am mostly going off of posts on the ATT cadre building section to see what is working and what isint ATM.

Besides the Orks, and a Nid, most of my Local is Imperium Based as well as the Games Workshop Store in downtown.

If I broke any rules ahead of time I apologize I tried to follow ATT guidelines and regulations since this Tau resource is astounding, thank you for your time.
https://imgur.com/user/SpiltNooch
(Elsy'eir Sept Honour Division) [WIP]

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: First 8th 1000 point

Post#2 » Sep 05 2017 09:09

Looks like a good start to a list! A few things to mention right off the bat though- Turrets really aren't that useful (sadly) as they lock down your squads. Tau don't need to move very far usually, but we do need to stay nimble. Second, let's avoid taking tiny units of Drones- you save points, reduce Kill Points, and are less likely to give away First Blood. Also, Pathfinders (for some reason) have a squad minimum size of 5 models. Lastly, Flamer suits with Marker Drones seems like too many roles- Marker Drones are all about being far away, while Flamers take the fight to the enemy. Anyway, let's make some changes and see how the list looks:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Cyclic Ion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (164)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 7x Fire Warriors (56)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255)
Fast Attack - 7x Pathfinders w/ 3x Rail Rifles (113)

With a few changes, we have a streamlined list that still has room to grow! Let's add a few more infantry models, and then some Drones to guard our little gunline. Here's the final list:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Cyclic Ion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (164)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 8x Fire Warriors (64)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 3x Rail Rifles (121)

Total: 998 - Command Points: 6 (1 Battalion Detachment)

-

What do you think?

I have one qualm about this list though- assuming your opponent brings a lot of Boyz, it'll do great. However, if it's more mechanized or has heavier units, your army seems a little too tuned toward anti-infantry. Anyway, if you think this might be a problem, let me know and we can tinker around with the list some more! Tau'va!

Nooch'un
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 06 2017 12:23

I really appreciate the feedback and will be implementing the final list there since yes he is a heavy boyz player, I watched him play twice now and he's all about the mob.

What kind of changes should I make for a more durable army, I know one player has a tank heavy IG for example and I swear at the GW store I am going to have to play every chapter of the Space Marienes along with AdMech. Maybe burst cannons over flames? My only problem is physically I've modded 3 burst cannons out of my sets into CiBs. Is plasma worth while from what I've read and by the statistic sheets it doesn't seem to be ideal?
https://imgur.com/user/SpiltNooch
(Elsy'eir Sept Honour Division) [WIP]

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Sep 06 2017 06:45

Nooch'un wrote:What kind of changes should I make for a more durable army, I know one player has a tank heavy IG for example and I swear at the GW store I am going to have to play every chapter of the Space Marienes along with AdMech. Maybe burst cannons over flames?

For Tau, durability just means staying farther away from your opponent. However, in the current Tau meta, all of our good guns (Cyclic Ion Blaster, Fusion Blaster, Flamer, Neutron Blaster, etc) have 18" range or less. Instead of focusing on durability, just position your units really aggressively and destroy them before they destroy you!

Nooch'un wrote:My only problem is physically I've modded 3 burst cannons out of my sets into CiBs.

Good! Don't put Burst Cannons on XV8s- the last thing Tau need is more S5 firepower. CIBs are fantastic weapons and possibly the best gun XV8s can take!

Nooch'un wrote:Is plasma worth while from what I've read and by the statistic sheets it doesn't seem to be ideal?

I'm sad to admit this, but yeah, plasma isn't ideal. It used to be the best thing we had, now it's basically garbage. Interesting how fast it changed. With S6 less valuable, AP-3 doing less than AP2, 1 damage, and no JSJ to use the rapid-fire range, it's not a very useful weapon at all. :neutral:

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Sep 07 2017 07:17

I think what we'll see to make plasma more viable is maybe a bump to a flat two damage. BIG maybe but that would come with a higher pricetag too. I'm really surprised honestly that we have very little in the way of flat damage other than the big guns on riptide and stormsurge. I'd love for us to get a 2 damage shooting weapon for crisis.

Return to “Cadre Building”