Crazy hoard tau 2k points

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Larlock
Shas

Crazy hoard tau 2k points

Post#1 » Sep 09 2017 04:38

So I'm experimenting with a list for an upcoming tournament which includes lots of models. It seems like fun, but I would like some feedback.

Battalion detachment, 2x outrider detachment =8cp

12x gun drones (96p)
12x gun drones (96p)
12x gun drones (96p)
12x gun drones (96p)

10x firewarriors+shas'vre markerlight 83p
11x firewarriors+shas'vre markerlight 91p
12x firewarriors+shas'vre markerlight 99p
12x firewarriors+shas'vre markerlight 99p

Ethereal 45p
Fireblade 42p
Fireblade 42p
Commander 4x fusion+2x shield drones 176p
Commander 3x fusion + drone controller +2x gun drones 160p

5x pathfinders+pulse accelerator 48p
7x pathfinders+pulse accelerator+2x rail rifles 102p
7x pathfinders+2x rail rifles 91p

4x stealth suits+1x fusion blaster +3x ATS +1x drone controller 156p

Longstrike +2x seeker missiles
Hammerhead +2x seeker missiles

Total 2000p

So, the plan is to have a double gun line. One with drones with the 3x fusion commander warlord with drone controller to buff them and one fireblade if someone gets close enough. Plus the pulse accelerator for more range. That's potentially 288 shots! And with 21 markerlights in the list they will probably be hitting on 3s rerolling ones.

And in the back the 45 firewarriors with ethereal and fireblade to buff them. With the pulse accelerator drone they can reach 36" and have a 42" threat range if they move.

The stealth suits are mostly there to sit on some objective in cover and maybe pick off the occasional stragglers.

And the second qfb commander is mantastriking in to kill off the biggest threat and hopefully survive to do it 2 turns.

Longstrike with friend will sit back and just do what he's best at. Shoot stuff.

Is this a crazy list or is it actually feasible?

This is a list with 127 models on the board and 19 drops.

Folix
Shas

Re: Crazy hoard tau 2k points

Post#2 » Sep 09 2017 10:51

I really like it! In a kill point game you might be a wack or trouble though. It's a fantastic anti horde army. Against a AM army with 4 manticores and such you might struggle.

However you got a great army that is a board control night mare to deal with and it's going to be rough to charge.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#3 » Sep 10 2017 03:52

I think this list archetype has real potential, although I do feel you really need to commit to it. One of the keys to this is to neuter the killing power of a lot of the bigger guns in the game by giving them no targets at all with multiple wounds for their high damage to do work on.

The Hammerheads give your opponent something to do with their big multi-wound weapons. For that reason alone I would consider swapping in HRR Broadsides for them - they can offload high damage wounds to nearby drones maintaining the no big targets rule. If you can compromise on range then Commanders with Missile Pods do great work and are an almost perfect Drone Controller caddy. I really like Longstrike but in a list like this he is almost the only viable target for every multi-damage weapon your opponent has so he will not last long.

Au'Va is great in a list like this. His table-wide re-roll of morale alone would be well worth the points increase over a regular Ethereal, the second elemental power every turn is just a bonus on top.

Depending on whether you are using power level or unit kill points you might want to consider splitting some of the larger units down, to mitigate losses from morale. You could then take 2 Battalion detachments and have lots more CP; ideally i think this list wants to be running as 2 Battalions and an Outrider detachment. You could stretch this to a Brigade for even more CP if you went for the HRR Broadsides and used some Firesight Marksmen for markerlight support in place of some of your pathfinders.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Sep 11 2017 07:15

Looks like a fun list! A few things to think about though- first, make sure you have no easy targets in the army. No tiny squads if possible. Also, specialize to your strengths- wherever possible, go with more guns and more models. Also, Aun'va would be an amazing force multiplier in this army. Here's a similar version of your list:

-

HQ - Aun'va w/ 2x Ethereal Honour Guard (75)
HQ - Ethereal on Hover Drone (50)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 1x Drone Controller (135)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (225)
Troops - 8x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (67)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 2x Drone Controllers (100)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 8x Markerlights; 2x Shield Drones, 1x Recon Drone, 1x GI Drone, 1x PA Drone (108)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights, 3x Rail Rifles (121)
Fast Attack - 8x Gun Drones (64)
Heavy Support - Hammerhead w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (205)

Total: 2001 - Command Points: 11 (2 Battalion Detachments, 2 Outrider Detachments)

-

With three Drone Controllers, two Ethereals, two Fireblades, and one utility drone team (which is large enough to protect the Pulse Accelerator AND offer Guardian Protocol support in case the enemy have snipers) you should be able to buff the whole group as one massive ball of synergy. What do you think?

Return to “Cadre Building”