New Tau Army - Where Next?

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#1 » Sep 18 2017 08:59

Hope this is the right subforum. Don't have an actual army list yet.

For a while now I've had some Tau lying around in their boxes and I think it's about time I made an army out of them. Not played since 6th edition so not sure what points to aim for (Used to play @1500) 

I have the old Tau Battleforce box (Not the start collecting one), mostly unprimed and on sprue, but one of the stealth suits is glued with I think a fusion blaster. As well as that I have one box of pathfinders (Again some glued but not all. Could even use these just to test paint schemes and use the battleforce stuff for an army. Stuck between a white paint scheme, a red one or a grey/blue one like the Sa'Cea sept.) Finally, (And part of the reason why I want to build a list) I grabbed a good deal on eBay for an XV88 broadside. 

So I guess my options are a little bit limited because I'd like to use the stuff I already have, and some things I can't really change (Like one of the stealth suits being glued up, roughly 6 pathfinders glued with pulse carbines etc). Would like to know what people think I should equip the rest of my stuff with, as well as what units I should get next (Probably a commander next)

As a side note I intend to look into magnetizing some stuff like the XV8 suits, any help or tutorials for that sorta thing would be greatly appreciated. This is only my 2nd army, my 1st was 1500pts of Imperial Fist Space Marines and I regret not magnetizing some of that stuff.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1528

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#2 » Sep 18 2017 08:48

A Commander would be a great thing to pick up. I assume you have the following?

12x Kroot
12x Fire Warriors
3x Stealthsuits
1x XV8
1x Devilfish
10x Pathfinders
1x Broadside
6x Gun Drones
1x Marker Drone
4x Pathfinder Drones

Something like that? Here's some things you could consider getting:

+2x XV8 Battlesuits (To make a team of 3; get old ones on eBay to match your current one)
+1x Commander
+1x Cadre Fireblade
+10x Fire Warriors

This would let you build a simple list like this:

-

HQ - 1x Cadre Fireblade
HQ - 1x Commander; 2x Shield Drones
Troops - 10x Fire Warriors
Troops - 10x Fire Warriors
Troops - 12x Kroot Carnivores
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish; 2x Gun Drones
Elites - 3x XV8s; 6x Gun Drones
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders
Heavy Support - 1x XV88

-

That'd be around 1250 points. What do you think?

User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#3 » Sep 19 2017 10:54

Arka0415 wrote:A Commander would be a great thing to pick up. I assume you have the following?

12x Kroot
12x Fire Warriors
3x Stealthsuits
1x XV8
1x Devilfish
10x Pathfinders
1x Broadside
6x Gun Drones
1x Marker Drone
4x Pathfinder Drones

Something like that? Here's some things you could consider getting:

+2x XV8 Battlesuits (To make a team of 3; get old ones on eBay to match your current one)
+1x Commander
+1x Cadre Fireblade
+10x Fire Warriors

This would let you build a simple list like this:

-

HQ - 1x Cadre Fireblade
HQ - 1x Commander; 2x Shield Drones
Troops - 10x Fire Warriors
Troops - 10x Fire Warriors
Troops - 12x Kroot Carnivores
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish; 2x Gun Drones
Elites - 3x XV8s; 6x Gun Drones
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders
Heavy Support - 1x XV88

-

That'd be around 1250 points. What do you think?


Thanks for the suggestions, as well as a list. Looks like a good one to aim for.

The battleforce doesn't have any kroot though, and they're a little bit hard to find right now (Changing something in the new codes maybe?) Love the models though. On the plus side, there are 3 XV8's in the battleforce box. So maybe I just need Kroot, a commander, fireblade and some fire warriors.

Any suggestions on loadouts by the way? Only glued 6 pathfinders with carbines and one stealth suit with fusion blaster so far. Hoping to magnitize the bigger stuff then.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1528

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#4 » Sep 19 2017 06:50

greenman019 wrote:The battleforce doesn't have any kroot though, and they're a little bit hard to find right now (Changing something in the new codes maybe?) Love the models though. On the plus side, there are 3 XV8's in the battleforce box. So maybe I just need Kroot, a commander, fireblade and some fire warriors.

Any suggestions on loadouts by the way? Only glued 6 pathfinders with carbines and one stealth suit with fusion blaster so far. Hoping to magnitize the bigger stuff then.


Oh, I see! You have the newer Battleforce, the old one had Kroot in it. The newer Battleforce contains...

3x XV8s
1x Piranha
3x Stealthsuits
12x Fire Warrior
10x Gun Drones
1x Marker Drone

...if my information is correct? Kroot actually aren't that good, I only put them in the list because they came in the old Battleforce box. And it's great that you have 3x XV8s too! You also have:

10x Pathfinders
1x XV88
2x Missile Drones
4x Pathfinder Drones (Recon, Grav, etc.)

So, to add to this list, you might want to pick up the following:

+1x Commander (feel free to buy an XV8 online and convert it!)
+1x Cadre Fireblade
+10x Fire Warriors

That would give you a nice core to your list, and bring you to about 1325 points. Are you interested in mechanized infantry, battlesuits, big stuff like the Stormsurge, gunline, or something else? What's your preferred playstyle?

User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#5 » Sep 19 2017 07:33

Arka0415 wrote:
greenman019 wrote:The battleforce doesn't have any kroot though, and they're a little bit hard to find right now (Changing something in the new codes maybe?) Love the models though. On the plus side, there are 3 XV8's in the battleforce box. So maybe I just need Kroot, a commander, fireblade and some fire warriors.

Any suggestions on loadouts by the way? Only glued 6 pathfinders with carbines and one stealth suit with fusion blaster so far. Hoping to magnitize the bigger stuff then.


Oh, I see! You have the newer Battleforce, the old one had Kroot in it. The newer Battleforce contains...

3x XV8s
1x Piranha
3x Stealthsuits
12x Fire Warrior
10x Gun Drones
1x Marker Drone

...if my information is correct? Kroot actually aren't that good, I only put them in the list because they came in the old Battleforce box. And it's great that you have 3x XV8s too! You also have:

10x Pathfinders
1x XV88
2x Missile Drones
4x Pathfinder Drones (Recon, Grav, etc.)

So, to add to this list, you might want to pick up the following:

+1x Commander (feel free to buy an XV8 online and convert it!)
+1x Cadre Fireblade
+10x Fire Warriors

That would give you a nice core to your list, and bring you to about 1325 points. Are you interested in mechanized infantry, battlesuits, big stuff like the Stormsurge, gunline, or something else? What's your preferred playstyle?



I think that's the one. Here's the box art -

Image

I believe that's the last one they did before the modern "Start Collecting" stuff.

Didn't think Kroot were very good. Do like the models though, and they seem to be a decent screening type unit. Playstyle wise I'm not sure yet, guess it depends on what I can get away with in terms of the models I have now? Probably something quite mobile or Battlesuit/Mech heavy. :D Not too keen on a gunline tactic to be honest.

One of the things I liked with my Space Marine army was how mobile and resilient it was. Moving squads across the board quickly in Rhinos supported by some wrecking crew style units like the Ironclad Dreadnought.


But yeah, thanks. +1x Commander, +1x Cadre Fireblade and +10x Fire Warriors sounds pretty reasonable and looks a good points total. Any suggestions on equipment?
Got 1 fusion blaster stealth suit glued so maybe best to put them on all 3? Good AP values. Then pulse carbines all around on pathfinders for value. Not too worried then about the bigger stuff.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1528

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#6 » Sep 19 2017 08:19

greenman019 wrote:Didn't think Kroot were very good. Do like the models though, and they seem to be a decent screening type unit. Playstyle wise I'm not sure yet, guess it depends on what I can get away with in terms of the models I have now? Probably something quite mobile or Battlesuit/Mech heavy. :D Not too keen on a gunline tactic to be honest.

One of the things I liked with my Space Marine army was how mobile and resilient it was. Moving squads across the board quickly in Rhinos supported by some wrecking crew style units like the Ironclad Dreadnought.


If you're not a fan of gunlines and like mechanized units, then don't pick up a Cadre Fireblade, and instead assemble your new 10x Fire Warriors as Breachers and get a Devilfish too; adding Darkstrider would also be great for mech Tau. This would be your purchase list:

+1x Commander
+10x Fire Warriors
+1x Devilfish
+1x Darkstrider
+8x Cyclic Ion Blasters (They don't come with the XV8s, get them here.)

Using your current models and those few extras, you could make the following list:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Darkstrider (45)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ 1x Markerlight (51)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ 1x Markerlight (51)
Troops - 10x Breachers (80)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 1x Seeker Missile; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 2x Burst Cannons + 2x ATS, 1x Fusion Blaster + Velocity Tracker (119)
Elites - 3x XV8 w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 1x Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)
Fast Attack - Piranha w/ Burst Cannon, 1x Seeker Missile; 2x Gun Drones (71)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 3x Rail Rifle; 2x Shield Drones, 1x Recon Drone, 1x GI Drone, 1x PA Drone (181)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)
Heavy Support - XV88 w/ Heavy Rail Rifle, 2x Smart Missile Systems, 1x Drone Controller; 2x Missile Drones (228)

Total: 1500 - Command Points: 6 (1 Battalion Detachment)

-

The list feels a little stretched (there are a few places where it could get more competetive/efficient, but I assume you don't want to buy too much else). What do you think?

User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#7 » Sep 20 2017 05:17

Arka0415 wrote:
greenman019 wrote:Didn't think Kroot were very good. Do like the models though, and they seem to be a decent screening type unit. Playstyle wise I'm not sure yet, guess it depends on what I can get away with in terms of the models I have now? Probably something quite mobile or Battlesuit/Mech heavy. :D Not too keen on a gunline tactic to be honest.

One of the things I liked with my Space Marine army was how mobile and resilient it was. Moving squads across the board quickly in Rhinos supported by some wrecking crew style units like the Ironclad Dreadnought.


If you're not a fan of gunlines and like mechanized units, then don't pick up a Cadre Fireblade, and instead assemble your new 10x Fire Warriors as Breachers and get a Devilfish too; adding Darkstrider would also be great for mech Tau. This would be your purchase list:

+1x Commander
+10x Fire Warriors
+1x Devilfish
+1x Darkstrider
+8x Cyclic Ion Blasters (They don't come with the XV8s, get them here.)

Using your current models and those few extras, you could make the following list:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Darkstrider (45)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ 1x Markerlight (51)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ 1x Markerlight (51)
Troops - 10x Breachers (80)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 1x Seeker Missile; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 2x Burst Cannons + 2x ATS, 1x Fusion Blaster + Velocity Tracker (119)
Elites - 3x XV8 w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 1x Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)
Fast Attack - Piranha w/ Burst Cannon, 1x Seeker Missile; 2x Gun Drones (71)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 3x Rail Rifle; 2x Shield Drones, 1x Recon Drone, 1x GI Drone, 1x PA Drone (181)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)
Heavy Support - XV88 w/ Heavy Rail Rifle, 2x Smart Missile Systems, 1x Drone Controller; 2x Missile Drones (228)

Total: 1500 - Command Points: 6 (1 Battalion Detachment)

-

The list feels a little stretched (there are a few places where it could get more competetive/efficient, but I assume you don't want to buy too much else). What do you think?


Looks good. Not too worried about competiveness yet to be honest. Darkstrider looks pretty nice as well :o Not sure if I can get the ion blasters yet, site is down it seems.

How do you assemble fire warriors as a breacher team by the way? I don't think the ones i have right now specify any options for it, but obviously theres 10 new ones on the purchase list. (Leaving original ones for 2 x 6)

Thanks for all the help by the way :)

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1528

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#8 » Sep 20 2017 06:01

greenman019 wrote:Looks good. Not too worried about competiveness yet to be honest. Darkstrider looks pretty nice as well :o

Darkstrider is a great character- he really buffs Breachers, especially at short range when firing at T4 units like Necron Warriors or Space Marines! Unlike a Fireblade though, Darkstrider only buffs one squad- you should keep him with the squad he's buffing, rather than using him at the center of a static/slow-moving gunline like a Fireblade or Ethereal. In your list, put the 10x Breacher squad and Darkstrider in the Devilfish and they'll be a great mechanized infantry unit.

greenman019 wrote:Not sure if I can get the ion blasters yet, site is down it seems.

I think I just messed the BBCode up. Here's the actual link:

http://www.reddogminis.com/catalog/item ... 338245.htm

greenman019 wrote:How do you assemble fire warriors as a breacher team by the way? I don't think the ones i have right now specify any options for it, but obviously theres 10 new ones on the purchase list. (Leaving original ones for 2 x 6)

Just like how GW changed the XV8 kit a little (a few years ago), they changed the Fire Warrior kit too. The parts are all the same, except the sprues are much denser. Now they contain special shoulder pads, weapons (Pulse Blasters), backpacks, and helmets for making Breachers. Breachers use the same torsos, arms, legs, and bases as ordinary Fire Warriors, but their shoulder pads, helmets, weapons, and backpacks are different. All of the parts come in the new Fire Warrior box set! So, when you buy the 10x Fire Warrior box, make sure it isn't an older one. If the box art shows tan/orange-colored Fire Warriors it's an old set, if the box art shows black/white-colored Fire Warriors then it's the right one.

User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#9 » Sep 20 2017 06:05

Arka0415 wrote:
greenman019 wrote:Looks good. Not too worried about competiveness yet to be honest. Darkstrider looks pretty nice as well :o
Darkstrider is a great character- he really buffs Breachers, especially at short range when firing at T4 units like Necron Warriors or Space Marines! Unlike a Fireblade though, Darkstrider only buffs one squad-

Not sure if I can get the ion blasters yet, site is down it seems.
I think I just messed the BBCode up. Here's the actual link:

http://www.reddogminis.com/catalog/item ... 338245.htm

How do you assemble fire warriors as a breacher team by the way? I don't think the ones i have right now specify any options for it, but obviously theres 10 new ones on the purchase list. (Leaving original ones for 2 x 6)
Just like how GW changed the XV8 kit a little (a few years ago), they changed the Fire Warrior kit too. The parts are all the same, except the sprues are much denser. Now they contain special shoulder pads, weapons (Pulse Blasters), backpacks, and helmets for making Breachers. Breachers use the same torsos, arms, legs, and bases as ordinary Fire Warriors, but their shoulder pads, helmets, weapons, and backpacks are different. All of the parts come in the new Fire Warrior box set! So, when you buy the 10x Fire Warrior box, make sure it isn't an older one. If the box art shows tan/orange-colored Fire Warriors it's an old set, if the box art shows black/white-colored Fire Warriors then it's the right one.


That link does work now, cheers. Might get a bit pricey with international shipping though (UK) so will probably be one of the last things I buy before completing the list.


Great, that's what I planned for the breacher/fire warrior team. New white box-art one for the breachers. As a side note, the XV88 I picked up is the old style Tan/Orange box art. Do you know if this'll have any issues with regards to the list? (Still in the post right now ^^)

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3089

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#10 » Sep 20 2017 06:10

The new sprues aren't just denser. They slightly altered the bitz as well, making them a bit more detailed, bigger, better poseable etc. (most noticeable with the Crisis box).

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1528

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#11 » Sep 20 2017 07:30

greenman019 wrote:That link does work now, cheers. Might get a bit pricey with international shipping though (UK) so will probably be one of the last things I buy before completing the list.

If you don't want to get CIBs that's okay, there are other builds that are decent for XV8s to use, such as Fusion Blaster/Flamer combo or all-Flamer build. CIBs are powerful and user-friendly though.


greenman019 wrote:As a side note, the XV88 I picked up is the old style Tan/Orange box art. Do you know if this'll have any issues with regards to the list? (Still in the post right now ^^)

Not at all! The new XV88 carries a Heavy Rail Rifle that is Heavy 2 (i.e. shoots twice) so it's easy to imagine the old-style XV88 shooting once with each of its shoulder-mounted guns. The old XV88 is a fantastic model, I have 3 and I'm re-doing them to match my other more updated Tau. The new XV88 is a large, pretty model, but... the old ones are absolute classics.


Panzer wrote:The new sprues aren't just denser. They slightly altered the bitz as well, making them a bit more detailed, bigger, better poseable etc. (most noticeable with the Crisis box).

True! The new parts clearly used better molds (line and edges are sharper I think) and there are some new bits too- Markerlights and those Shas'ui upgrade parts. But anyway, when I bought my first new Fire Warrior box, I was amazed by how many parts were packed into those sprues! Check out this comparison:

Image

Image

That's so much more plastic! :neutral:

User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#12 » Sep 20 2017 07:37

That's a lot more bitz :o

Thanks again for all the help. Got everything I need now. Lots of gluing and painting ahead :D

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1528

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#13 » Sep 20 2017 07:41

greenman019 wrote:That's a lot more bitz :o

Thanks again for all the help. Got everything I need now. Lots of gluing and painting ahead :D


Good luck! Here's a tip- paint your Pulse Rifles and your Fire Warriors' shoulder pads before gluing them on. It'll be much easier to paint the torso, back of the neck, and inner sides of the arms this way. Once all parts are painted, glue them together using a small amount of strong glue.

User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#14 » Sep 20 2017 08:07

Arka0415 wrote:
greenman019 wrote:That's a lot more bitz :o

Thanks again for all the help. Got everything I need now. Lots of gluing and painting ahead :D


Good luck! Here's a tip- paint your Pulse Rifles and your Fire Warriors' shoulder pads before gluing them on. It'll be much easier to paint the torso, back of the neck, and inner sides of the arms this way. Once all parts are painted, glue them together using a small amount of strong glue.



Cheers. Luckily only got some pathfinders glued up at the moment. Will definitely do that when I glue the FW. :)

User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#15 » Sep 20 2017 10:24

XV88 just arrived today actually. It's a bit older than I thought, it's the one with the metal bitz. Looks a bit light on parts (Some drones for example) which makes things a little tricky.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3089

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#16 » Sep 20 2017 10:31

Yeah I feared that was the case. The old broadside is the one with the old Crisis body + additional metal weapon bitz. Not a model I'd use by my own choice considering how awesome the actual Broadside model looks to be honest. :sad:

User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#17 » Sep 20 2017 11:40

Panzer wrote:Yeah I feared that was the case. The old broadside is the one with the old Crisis body + additional metal weapon bitz. Not a model I'd use by my own choice considering how awesome the actual Broadside model looks to be honest. :sad:



Seems ok weapon wise I think. Need a larger base though. Do like the look of it. Might just use it first to test out a colour scheme though, no biggie if I don't use it. The lack of drones is the biggest issue.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1528

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#18 » Sep 20 2017 06:56

greenman019 wrote:
Panzer wrote:Yeah I feared that was the case. The old broadside is the one with the old Crisis body + additional metal weapon bitz. Not a model I'd use by my own choice considering how awesome the actual Broadside model looks to be honest. :sad:


Seems ok weapon wise I think. Need a larger base though. Do like the look of it. Might just use it first to test out a colour scheme though, no biggie if I don't use it. The lack of drones is the biggest issue.


It's a wonderful model! Antique too, and out-of-production. Even if you don't use it, keep it around- it'd be a fun model to keep and a good thing to impress new players who've never seen one. People are always surprised to see my team of old XV88s, it's great fun.

Anyway, it's easy to make Missile Drones, don't worry! Just glue a Missile Pod to the bottom of the round Drone chassis (don't glue on the gun mount or Pulse Carbines), then drill a hole for the flying stand.

Return to “Cadre Building”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests