New Tau Army - Where Next?

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#19 » Sep 20 2017 08:35

Sounds simple enough. Cheers :)

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3068

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#20 » Sep 20 2017 11:10

Arka0415 wrote:
greenman019 wrote:
Panzer wrote:Yeah I feared that was the case. The old broadside is the one with the old Crisis body + additional metal weapon bitz. Not a model I'd use by my own choice considering how awesome the actual Broadside model looks to be honest. :sad:


Seems ok weapon wise I think. Need a larger base though. Do like the look of it. Might just use it first to test out a colour scheme though, no biggie if I don't use it. The lack of drones is the biggest issue.


It's a wonderful model! Antique too, and out-of-production. Even if you don't use it, keep it around- it'd be a fun model to keep and a good thing to impress new players who've never seen one. People are always surprised to see my team of old XV88s, it's great fun.

As someone who started only after the new Crisis and Broadsides got released...no, just no. Nothing to impress new players and definitely not a wonderful model. The newer ones look so much better. The only reason why I would be surprised to see them is because I'd be surprised someone would still use them when there are better ones available. :D

Antique != good.

That being said, if he likes it, he should use it. Please just don't try to sell it as a super incredible model because it really isn't.

User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#21 » Sep 21 2017 06:24

Panzer wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:
greenman019 wrote:
Seems ok weapon wise I think. Need a larger base though. Do like the look of it. Might just use it first to test out a colour scheme though, no biggie if I don't use it. The lack of drones is the biggest issue.


It's a wonderful model! Antique too, and out-of-production. Even if you don't use it, keep it around- it'd be a fun model to keep and a good thing to impress new players who've never seen one. People are always surprised to see my team of old XV88s, it's great fun.

As someone who started only after the new Crisis and Broadsides got released...no, just no. Nothing to impress new players and definitely not a wonderful model. The newer ones look so much better. The only reason why I would be surprised to see them is because I'd be surprised someone would still use them when there are better ones available. :D

Antique != good.

That being said, if he likes it, he should use it. Please just don't try to sell it as a super incredible model because it really isn't.


I think the weapons are the same so I'm hoping it'll be fine. I do like the shoulder mounted guns look pretty nice. Will try and blend it a bit better though, use a larger base and stuff so it doesn't look too out of place.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1505

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#22 » Sep 21 2017 06:52

Panzer wrote:As someone who started only after the new Crisis and Broadsides got released...no, just no. Nothing to impress new players and definitely not a wonderful model. The newer ones look so much better. The only reason why I would be surprised to see them is because I'd be surprised someone would still use them when there are better ones available. :D

Antique != good.

That being said, if he likes it, he should use it. Please just don't try to sell it as a super incredible model because it really isn't.


Hey, don't worry- I never said it was high-quality. The guns are bendy and the SMS can be misshapen. That's not to say they aren't classic antique models though- the stocky, guns-on-shoulders look was just so Tau for so many years :) Just like players who collect OOP beaky marines or whatever- sure, Primaris have superior model quality but old models have some great charm.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3068

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#23 » Sep 21 2017 08:17

I agree on that the design element of the weapons on the shoulders was/is great. Like the beakies. That doesn't mean the model itself is great though. ;)

User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#24 » Sep 23 2017 08:13

Arka0415 wrote:
greenman019 wrote:Looks good. Not too worried about competiveness yet to be honest. Darkstrider looks pretty nice as well :o

Darkstrider is a great character- he really buffs Breachers, especially at short range when firing at T4 units like Necron Warriors or Space Marines! Unlike a Fireblade though, Darkstrider only buffs one squad- you should keep him with the squad he's buffing, rather than using him at the center of a static/slow-moving gunline like a Fireblade or Ethereal. In your list, put the 10x Breacher squad and Darkstrider in the Devilfish and they'll be a great mechanized infantry unit.

greenman019 wrote:Not sure if I can get the ion blasters yet, site is down it seems.

I think I just messed the BBCode up. Here's the actual link:

http://www.reddogminis.com/catalog/item ... 338245.htm

greenman019 wrote:How do you assemble fire warriors as a breacher team by the way? I don't think the ones i have right now specify any options for it, but obviously theres 10 new ones on the purchase list. (Leaving original ones for 2 x 6)

Just like how GW changed the XV8 kit a little (a few years ago), they changed the Fire Warrior kit too. The parts are all the same, except the sprues are much denser. Now they contain special shoulder pads, weapons (Pulse Blasters), backpacks, and helmets for making Breachers. Breachers use the same torsos, arms, legs, and bases as ordinary Fire Warriors, but their shoulder pads, helmets, weapons, and backpacks are different. All of the parts come in the new Fire Warrior box set! So, when you buy the 10x Fire Warrior box, make sure it isn't an older one. If the box art shows tan/orange-colored Fire Warriors it's an old set, if the box art shows black/white-colored Fire Warriors then it's the right one.



Just one last thing regarding the Ion Blasters. Your list says 8 but do I actually only need 6? (3 XV8's with 2x each) Will get the price down a little.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3068

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#25 » Sep 23 2017 08:49

A Crisis Suit can be equipped with 3 weapons each and only 8 because he included a Drone Controller (takes up one of the 3 hardpoints on the suit) to buff the Gun Drones he included in the unit. ;)

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1505

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#26 » Sep 23 2017 09:34

greenman019 wrote:Just one last thing regarding the Ion Blasters. Your list says 8 but do I actually only need 6? (3 XV8's with 2x each) Will get the price down a little.


You can arm XV8s with 2x CIBs and 1x ATS each instead of all CIBs, it's cheaper and similarly powerful, however, all CIBs ends up being a more competitive loadout. Use 8 because one XV8 carries 2x CIBs and 1x Drone Controller. The squad looks like this:

XV8 Shas'vre w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters
XV8 Shas'ui w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters
XV8 Shas'ui w/ 2x Cyclic Ion Blaster, 1x Drone Controller

User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: New Tau Army - Where Next?

Post#27 » Sep 23 2017 09:35

Panzer wrote:A Crisis Suit can be equipped with 3 weapons each and only 8 because he included a Drone Controller (takes up one of the 3 hardpoints on the suit) to buff the Gun Drones he included in the unit. ;)


Cheers. Will see what I can do. Probably go another route for now.

Return to “Cadre Building”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests