1500pts Only 2 Fusion Commanders

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Multitallented
Shas

1500pts Only 2 Fusion Commanders

Post#1 » Sep 18 2017 02:25

So, I'm worried about tanks and 10+ wound characters. Should I be ok with a list like this? Is there anything I should change to be more effective? I've played against Astra Militarum with 6+ tanks/flyers. I'm worried about chaos bloat drones flying into my strike teams.

==Battalion==
HQ:
>Cadre Fireblade
>Ethereal

Troops:
>Strike Team 10x + Markerlight
>Strike Team 10x
>Strike Team 10x

Fast Attack:
>Pathfinders + Pulse Accel + Grav + Marker Drone x2

==Outrider==
HQ:
>Cadre Fireblade + 2 Gun Drones

Fast Attack:
>Kroot Hounds
>Tactical Drone 4 Gun Drones
>Tactical Drone 5 Gun Drones

Transport:
>Devilfish

==Vanguard==
HQ:
>Commander 4 Fusion + 2 Shield Drones
>Commander 4 Fusion + 2 Shield Drones

Elites:
>XV25 Stealth Battlesuit, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon + 2 Marker Drones
>XV25 Stealth Battlesuit, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon + 2 Marker Drones
>XV8 Crisis Battlesuit 9 Flamers

Total = 1498 points

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: 1500pts Only 2 Fusion Commanders

Post#2 » Sep 18 2017 02:51

That should be fine for 1500. In my opinion, you should change the marker drones to shield drones on the pathfinder squad since people will be shooting the special drones and will need to get through these first. Plus you can upgrade your two shas'ui on the remaining strike teams and get the 2 lights back. Win win in my opinion. Otherwise, I like the list and it should mulch guys very well. Just play around lists that have too much armor and control the board since you have a troops/mobility advantage with the 3 squads in manta and a devilfish.

Don't forget to move your strike teams since the fireblade buff doesn't require you to be stationary and ethereal will be handing out 6+ fnp most of the time anyway.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Sep 18 2017 08:41

I like Yojimbob's recommendations. Since you're keeping the special Drones, let's load them up with shield Drones and reduce the small Drone squads a bit across the army and add a 6x Drone group to the XV8s. Here's what we'd be left with:

-

HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Troops - 10x Fire Warriors (80)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Flamers, 1x Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (251)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 1x Drone Controller, 1x Homing Beacon (115)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 1x Drone Controller, 1x Homing Beacon (115)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights; 2x Shield Drones, 1x GI Drone, 1x PA Drone (80)

Total: 1497 - Command Points: 8 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

Note: the 5x and 6x Gun Drone squads go in the Devilfish, along with one of the Fireblades. This makes for an excellent mobile anti-infantry unit with great synergy. The Fireblade even buffs the Devilfish too!

-

What do you think?
Last edited by Arka0415 on Sep 19 2017 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Sep 19 2017 06:32

What unit will you transport in the Fish?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Sep 19 2017 09:15

fireblade, 5 man drone, and 6 man drone. Drones in a fish with a fireblade seems to be a durable way to get units within 9" while using the fish to charge big units to tie it in CC before unloading the payload. Tactically flexible, durable and points efficient. If you include the 2 drones coming off the fish, it is 78 5/0/1 shots, a BS 3+ light since fireblades moves to get out plus another 4 5/0/1 shots from the fish. Put it all near a DC and this is 9.11 dead marines with the ability to fly away from CC if it gets charged. Drones also kills 2.88 marines with overwatch.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Sep 19 2017 09:26

Yojimbob wrote:fireblade, 5 man drone, and 6 man drone.

In my list, yeah, that's what I'd do. However, in Multitallented's original list, I assume they'd put the 5x Drone, 4x Drone, and Fireblade + 2x Drone units in there?

Multitallented
Shas

Post#7 » Sep 19 2017 10:21

@Arka0415 Are small drone squads that bad? With your suggestions, I'm losing a lot of marker drones. This list doesn't have much in the way of markerlights. Also, are the pathfinder special drones to be avoided too?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Sep 19 2017 06:58

Multitallented wrote:@Arka0415 Are small drone squads that bad? With your suggestions, I'm losing a lot of marker drones. This list doesn't have much in the way of markerlights. Also, are the pathfinder special drones to be avoided too?

Marker Drones are very easy to kill, especially when they die without a save due to Savior Protocols. Your army list packs a massive number of Markerlights- not a bad thing, but... it's a lot of points. If you want to use Marker Drones, make larger squads of them and support them with a Drone Controller. They have great range and can move without losing accuracy, so keep them in the back- their benefits are lost somewhat when paired up with Stealthsuits. Two Marker Drones w/ a Drone Controller cost 25 points, whereas 3 Pathfinders cost 24 points- the Pathfinders are a better investment, especially seeing as the Drone Controller loses its value once the two Drones are killed. If you'd like more Markerlights, that's definitely okay- but many small squads of Marker Drones are not the best way to do that.

For Drone squad size, 6 seems to be best. Any smaller and it's an easy Kill Point and/or First Blood. Any larger, and the low LD characteristic of Drones becomes an issue. To fit two Drone squads in a Devilfish one of them needs to be 5x and the other 6x, but that's not much of an issue. With Shield Drones, their role is so crucial (guarding the 4x Fusion Commander) that taking the small squad of 2x is worth the drawback.

Silvtalon
Shas

Post#9 » Sep 21 2017 11:01

I use two fusion commanders and a CIB team of 3 crisis suits as my anti-vehicle/monster along with 3 shield drones and two marker drones for the team. I seen this combination time and time again take down with marker light support knights and even baneblades by themselves with good rolls. In some cases they heavily damage the target allowing other units to finish them off.

Just my experince, but it does require good Marker light support to make the CIB team really good. The load out is 2 cibs and velocity tracker per suit.

In my 2000pt army I only use 24 marker lights, (20 in pathfinders + 2 marker drones +2 marker lights in striker teams)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Sep 22 2017 12:33

Silvtalon wrote:I use two fusion commanders and a CIB team of 3 crisis suits as my anti-vehicle/monster along with 3 shield drones and two marker drones for the team. I seen this combination time and time again take down with marker light support knights and even baneblades by themselves with good rolls. In some cases they heavily damage the target allowing other units to finish them off.

Definitely. Markerlights are a double force multiplier for CIBs, as they not only increase their accuracy but also reduce their overcharge self-damage!

Silvtalon wrote:Just my experince, but it does require good Marker light support to make the CIB team really good. The load out is 2 cibs and velocity tracker per suit.

The Velocity Tracker is cheap and all, but unless your entire local meta is Flyers and units with the Fly keyword, that Velocity Tracker isn't worth it. Replace the Velocity Tracker with ATS and you'll be just as good against Flyers and much better against everything else.

Actually, if you're taking down Knights and Baneblades with your XV8s, why use Velocity Trackers at all? Just curious.

Return to “Cadre Building”