2k MotF Podcast List [Udated with link]

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Plainshow
Shas

2k MotF Podcast List [Udated with link]

Post#1 » Sep 18 2017 04:09

http://www.freebootersnetwork.com/2017/10/27/763/

I have an upcoming match on Masters of the Forge podcast, and I just about have my list finished (painting). The match will be a narrative mission (unrelieved) and my opponent will be playing Craftworld Eldar. His list will not be tournament level, but solid and well played. I want to bring decent list that should have a puncher's chance regardless of the scenario.

2k Tau Empire

Battalion 1:
-42pts-Fireblade [WARLORD]
-155pts-Shas'O R'alai
-40pts-5 Fire Warriors w/Pulse Rifles and Shas'ui
-100pts-8 Pathfinders w/5 Markerlights, 3 Ion Rifles,Shas'ui, 2 Shield Drones, 1 Pulse Accelerator Drone
-100pts-8 Pathfinders w/5 Markerlights, 3 Ion Rifles,Shas'ui, 2 Shield Drones, 1 Pulse Accelerator Drone
-100pts-8 Pathfinders w/5 Markerlights, 3 Ion Rifles, Shas'ui,2 Shield Drones, 1 Pulse Accelerator Drone
-261pts-3xCrisis Suits w/6 Plasma Rifles, Drone Controller (Shas'vre), 2 Shield Generators (4++), 6xGun Drones

Battalion 2:
156pts-Commander w/Advanced Targeter (-1 to all AP), 3xMissile Pods
150pts-Coldstar Commander (the flying one) w/Advanced Targeter, 4++, Missile Pod and Burst Cannon
40pts-5 Fire Warriors w/Pulse Rifles and Shas'ui
181pts-Ghostkeels each w/Ion Raker, 2xBurst Cannons, Advanced
Targeter, Target Lock
Targeter, Target Lock
Targeter, Target Lock
40pts-10xKroot Hounds
56pts-7 Gun Drones
56pts-7 Gun Drones

In Battalion 1 the Fireblade will obviously be the big buffer for all things Pulse, and have the +1Ld bubble Warlord Trait to help keep the lines together. R'alai is handy with his anti-tank/elite gun, and Drone Controller to drive the Carbine fire home. The Pathfinders' primary role goes with out saying, while the cheap Ion Rifles give them some punch, and the added Drones help the Fire Warriors' range, and can cover any Character that gets overexposed. Crisis Suits are there as Deepstrike removal. I was tempted to go with the Melta option, but went with the Plasma instead. Pllasma is very cheap for us, and it should free up my bigger guns by taking out Heavy Infantry and Light Infantry alike.

Battalion 2 starts with an Enforcer Commander. I was tempted to go with melta here as well, but opted for the much longer range of the Missiles. Next is the Coldstar and I'm looking forward to finly fielding this guy after building the kit almost a year ago for a campaign and only now getting it painted. The 40" Movement and BS2+ should allow this guy to grab Objectives outside my DZ and harass from the flanks, while staying out of assault range of any real threats.
Ghostkeels have been one of my favorites since the images leaked, I was so enamored I preordered three before the actual size of the model was even confirmed. The Raker's range seems too important to pass up, and the ability to Infiltrate can be critical to objectives. They make good distractions and move 12", giving them strong board control. They are hard to kill outside of assault, and can draw off melee units from the rest of the front line, allowing for good Supporting Fire. I think we all know Gun Drones are nasty little buggers. With the Fireblade and R'alai, each Drone kicks off 6 Str5 shots at BS4+, within 9". That's 42 shots from a 52 point unit, and I'm hoping they can shred much of what assaults my frontline, and can help me clear out areas as I advance.

I may be lacking in dedicated anti-tank, but against Eldar, I feel the large quantity of Str7/8 will probably be sufficient.

I'm not totally sold on the Crisis Suit unit or Kroot Hounds, and could take or leave the Enforcer. Everything is completely magnetized for loadouts. Fully painted I have 6xMissilesides, 3xRiptides, 2xStormsurges, 40xKroot, 35xHounds, 14xMarker Drones, 12xCrisis Suits, 6xTetras, a Y'vahra, and one more Enforcer that can be swapped in easily. I could also finish up 3xKrootoxes rather quickly, but that's about it.

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Plainshow on Oct 31 2017 10:47, edited 1 time in total.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 2k MotF Podcast List

Post#2 » Sep 18 2017 09:16

Looks like a solid list- 30 Fire Warriors is great to buff with a Fireblade. We can make that 3x10 (not 6x5) to try and avoid First Blood and it'll give us a greater chance of getting first turn; also, we can get plenty of Command Points with the other units. I also like your Pathfinders with Shield Drones- good to keep those Pulse Accelerators protected. I don't think you need that many Pulse Accelerators though. What if you made your Pathfinder squads like this:

Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles; 2x Shield Drones, 1x Recon Drone, 1x PA Drone, 1x GI Drone (120)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles; 2x Shield Drones, 1x Recon Drone, 1x PA Drone, 1x GI Drone (120)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (76)

It basically costs the same amount of points, and gives you more functionality- plus, the 3rd Pathfinder squad can be deployed far from the main gunline. Also, for your XV8s... if you're taking the weak option of Plasma Rifles, you need to give them as many as possible- even 9 is somewhat weak though. Go with 9x PR + 6x Drones at the very least. If possible, go with Cyclic Ion Blasters, they'll give the squad a lot more punch.

Finally, I like all the Ion, but you have plenty of S7/8 firepower- you need to get some Fusion Blasters in there, I think. Here's a slightly different version of the list:

-

HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Shas'O R'alai (155)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Yield Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, ATS (150)
Troops - 10x Fire Warriors (80)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 1x Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Targeting Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (179)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Targeting Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (179)
Fast Attack - 8x Gun Drones (64)

Total: 2002 - Command Points: 8 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 19 2017 08:43

If you want a chance in any game you NEED to have at least one QFC like Arka has added. Plasma is weak on crisis and they are already fairly durable with t5 w3 3+ that you don't need to sacrifice a weapon. If you want them to survive, stick shield drones nearby to eat wounds. I know that the ion rifles are cheap and you can add them quickly and easily to pathfinders but I personally don't like having them on there and would rather see a bunch more lights since you are relying on CIB crisis suits. If you don't spam commanders you need to invest in more lights for your army to do something. Catch 22, either be efficient or be THAT guy with commanders.

Plainshow
Shas

Post#4 » Sep 19 2017 01:39

Arka0415 wrote:We can make that 3x10 (not 6x5) to try and avoid First Blood and it'll give us a greater chance of getting first turn; also, we can get plenty of Command Points with the other units.
I doubt First Blood will be a in the mission, but I agree it's better for fewer drops and that it will be easier to buff 3 squads of Fire Warriors with the one Fireblade than 6. I do love my Command points, so let's see what you have in mind.
Arka0415 wrote:I also like your Pathfinders with Shield Drones- good to keep those Pulse Accelerators protected. I don't think you need that many Pulse Accelerators though. What if you made your Pathfinder squads like this:

It basically costs the same amount of points, and gives you more functionality- plus, the 3rd Pathfinder squad can be deployed far from the main gunline.
Good idea! Also with fewer Fire Warrior Squads, you are right, I won't need as many PA Drones! I have only one Recon Drone fully painted right now, but I could probably get a second done for Saturday. Or I may play with the Recon Drone points and see if I can shift them around a little elsewhere.
Arka0415 wrote:Also, for your XV8s... if you're taking the weak option of Plasma Rifles, you need to give them as many as possible- even 9 is somewhat weak though. Go with 9x PR + 6x Drones at the very least. If possible, go with Cyclic Ion Blasters, they'll give the squad a lot more punch.
The problem with the Blasters is one of supply. The common third party ones are expensive, and I only have three from the Commanders I've bought in the past. In this particular instance the Crisis Suits are there to kill Heavy Infantry, in this case Wraith units or Aspect Warriors (most likely Dark Reapers sitting back out of my effective range). Both PRs and CIBs are wounding Aspects on 2s and Wraiths/Windriders on 3s, so I'm not too worried about the loss of flexibility of the CIB. I'll shift from the Generators to two more PRs. I think the Controller is still more valuable buffing the 20 Carbine shots on the turn they land (for an extra 3 1/3 hits), than the extra hit an extra double tapping PR would afford.

Arka0415 wrote:Finally, I like all the Ion, but you have plenty of S7/8 firepower- you need to get some Fusion Blasters in there, I think.
As I have no way to drop it into Melta range, and the biggest multi-wound threat he can bring is a Wraithknight (He'll have a Sword and Board if he takes anything), it's a legitimate question. Considering a Quad Fusion Commander will crank out almost 4 wounds against a Wraithknight with a 5++, while the Trip Pod ATS will do just under 2.25, I think the bigger question is damage over time. The Missile pods should be contributing for at least three turns, even if I'm getting wrecked. The Blasters will be a one and done trick if I only have one Commander Manta Striking out of Melta Range or camping in the backfield to pounce when an Assaulted unit Falls Back. I know the math is better for both the Fusion and the CIB vs Missile Pods, but tactically a solo 18" operator is just suicide against a fast opponent. I will grant you that the distraction is worth something in and of itself, but think I'd rather have the more reliable steady damage than the single turn onslaught. I do also have the benefit of this being a step down from the competitiveness of a tournament setting.

Arka0415 wrote:What do you think?
I like the Battalion/Outrider/Vanguard configuration very much, I will make that change!

Yojimbob wrote:If you want a chance in any game you NEED to have at least one QFC like Arka has added.
I have found this not to be true for casual games. While I admit, I am lacking on dedicated anti-tank, most Craftworld vehicles are going to be T7, unless it's a Wraithknight. Unfortunately my Hammerheads are nowhere near completion, otherwise I would go with Longstrike and Co. to cover that angle.

Yojimbob wrote:Plasma is weak on crisis and they are already fairly durable with t5 w3 3+ that you don't need to sacrifice a weapon. If you want them to survive, stick shield drones nearby to eat wounds.
I'll go more offensive and drop the Support System on the two Shas'ui. I don't have nearly enough CIBs to triple out a three pack of suits, just the old BC/FB/PR/MP weapons. As this is a very strict WYSIWYG & fully painted and based requirement occasion, I'm limited with the substitutions I can bring (Crisis Suits would not fly as Commanders as well).

Yojimbob wrote:I know that the ion rifles are cheap and you can add them quickly and easily to pathfinders but I personally don't like having them on there and would rather see a bunch more lights since you are relying on CIB crisis suits.
Really? I have found that a little over 100pts for 9d3 Str8 shots is a bargain in any Codex. Maybe i haven't used them enough, but so far they have been a hidden gem that I'm glad to splash in. Can't say the same for Rail Rifles, though. Those are just too pricey.

Yojimbob wrote:If you don't spam commanders you need to invest in more lights for your army to do something. Catch 22, either be efficient or be THAT guy with commanders.
I'm definitely not looking to spam Commanders in a Narrative setting, so what do you think with the models I have? Marker Drones for variety?

Thanks guys, I'll update my list this afternoon and repost it!

Plainshow
Shas

Post#5 » Sep 19 2017 02:41

Updated:

Battalion:
-155pts-Shas'O R'alai
-80pts-10 Fire Warriors w/Pulse Rifles and Shas'ui
-56pts-7 Gun Drones
-56pts-7 Gun Drones

Outrider:
-150pts-Coldstar Commander (the flying one) w/ATS, Shield Gen.
-44pts-11xKroot Hounds
-112pts-8 Pathfinders w/5 Markerlights, 3 Ion Rifles, 2 Shield Drones, 1 Pulse Accelerator Drone, 1 Recon Drone
-100pts-8 Pathfinders w/5 Markerlights, 3 Ion Rifles, 2 Shield Drones, 1 Pulse Accelerator Drone
-76pts-8 Pathfinders w/5 Markerlights, 3 Ion Rifles

Vanguard:
-156pts-Commander w/ATS, 3xMissile Pods
-267pts-3xCrisis Suits w/8 Plasma Rifles, Drone Controller (Shas'vre), 6xGun Drones
-181pts-Ghostkeel w/Ion Raker, 2xBurst Cannons, ATS, TL

1997pts Total

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Sep 19 2017 02:59

Plainshow wrote:Updated:

Battalion:
-155pts-Shas'O R'alai
-56pts-7 Gun Drones
-56pts-7 Gun Drones

Outrider:
-44pts-11xKroot Hounds
-112pts-8 Pathfinders w/5 Markerlights, 3 Ion Rifles, 2 Shield Drones, 1 Pulse Accelerator Drone, 1 Recon Drone
-100pts-8 Pathfinders w/5 Markerlights, 3 Ion Rifles, 2 Shield Drones, 1 Pulse Accelerator Drone

Vanguard:
-156pts-Commander w/ATS, 3xMissile Pods
-267pts-3xCrisis Suits w/8 Plasma Rifles, Drone Controller (Shas'vre), 6xGun Drones

1997pts Total

I feel like you are going to be VERY underwhelmed by your crisis and ghostkeels for their points. I woul dMUCH rather have 2 QFC's with shield drones drop together and nuke anything you choose turn 1 while keeping all 4 shield drones between you and the nearest threat instead of 2 of the ghostkeels. If you're feeling saucy, drop a fusion on each commander and go with a shield generator in it's place for some added durability.

Plainshow
Shas

Post#7 » Sep 19 2017 05:11

Yojimbob wrote:I feel like you are going to be VERY underwhelmed by your crisis and ghostkeels for their points.
The Crisis, sure. They're their to do a very specific job, and if there's no Heavy or Light Infantry in my opponents list, they'll be useless. The Ghostkeels are a great tactical asset. Their value is not dependent on their firepower, in fact it's the least important thing about those units. The ability to Infiltrate, distract, maneuver, and survive is why they are fantastic. Their firepower is just a perk, and not bad when properly supported. I would mix them up a little with Stealth Suits, but sadly those are still on my to-do list for painting.
If the argument against other every unit in the Codex is "Compare its damage output to a Commander's", we'll rarely ever take anything but Commanders and Drones. If it was a tournament, I wouldn't have even posted a list like this because it's clearly not a TAC list. I came here because I still want it to work within the confines of a Narrative concept, and I think ATT is the best place for advice with that perspective.

Yojimbob wrote:I woul dMUCH rather have 2 QFC's with shield drones drop together and nuke anything you choose turn 1 while keeping all 4 shield drones between you and the nearest threat instead of 2 of the ghostkeels.
The problem is that even 2 Suicide Fusion Commanders will hurt something nasty, in this case let's assume a non-S&B Wraithknight, even though I know this guy loves his S&B (it's about the only nasty thing worth focusing down with 2 Commanders). They land outside of Melta range so assume 8 hits, 4 of which wound, that's an average of 14 Wounds. Just enough to drop it down to a 10" move and hitting on 4s. I don't feel that's all that impressive. A S&B is even worse, only taking 9 and 1/3rd wounds. 4 Shield Drones are not going to able to hold off a little small arms fire, and then those Commanders are getting iced, and I'm out over 350 points. Even a Wave Serpent is taking only 7 wounds after the Serpent Shield from one Commander, it takes two to drop one transport in this setup.

I'm not saying that damage isn't impressive in its own right, and in a tournament horde/anti-horde setting I understand why that works better. The Quad Fusion Commander only really shines when it's in a list designed around it. It's much less impressive when splashed into a list because the math looks good. I'm definitely not anit-Quad Fusion, I'm not feeling it here, in Narrative Play, against Craftworld Eldar.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Sep 19 2017 07:29

Plainshow wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Also, for your XV8s... if you're taking the weak option of Plasma Rifles, you need to give them as many as possible- even 9 is somewhat weak though. Go with 9x PR + 6x Drones at the very least. If possible, go with Cyclic Ion Blasters, they'll give the squad a lot more punch.
The problem with the Blasters is one of supply. The common third party ones are expensive, and I only have three from the Commanders I've bought in the past. In this particular instance the Crisis Suits are there to kill Heavy Infantry, in this case Wraith units or Aspect Warriors (most likely Dark Reapers sitting back out of my effective range). Both PRs and CIBs are wounding Aspects on 2s and Wraiths/Windriders on 3s, so I'm not too worried about the loss of flexibility of the CIB. I'll shift from the Generators to two more PRs. I think the Controller is still more valuable buffing the 20 Carbine shots on the turn they land (for an extra 3 1/3 hits), than the extra hit an extra double tapping PR would afford.

Personally I don't use lists that aren't Take-All-Comers, but in the rare instance of fighting Eldar the Plasma Rifle is a little better. Against T3/Sv4+ and T3/Sv3+ infantry it is quite good. Of course, in cases where you need to drop in near assault infantry you need to be careful, but getting the drop on Dark Reapers would be a great use for the XV8 squad- that is, as long as you can engage another target shortly afterward. XV8s need to be active for multiple turns to be a worthy investment.

Plainshow wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Finally, I like all the Ion, but you have plenty of S7/8 firepower- you need to get some Fusion Blasters in there, I think.
As I have no way to drop it into Melta range, and the biggest multi-wound threat he can bring is a Wraithknight (He'll have a Sword and Board if he takes anything), it's a legitimate question. Considering a Quad Fusion Commander will crank out almost 4 wounds against a Wraithknight with a 5++, while the Trip Pod ATS will do just under 2.25, I think the bigger question is damage over time. The Missile pods should be contributing for at least three turns, even if I'm getting wrecked. The Blasters will be a one and done trick.

The idea with the Fusion Commander is that, hopefully, you can take the Wraithknight out in a single turn, or at worst two. Not that the Commander will do it all by himself, but rather every anti-tank model in the army will focus on that one target. However, in your army, you have no dedicated anti-tank at all- taking down the Wraithlord will be a process, and it might be best then to tackle it at range. Be careful though- stay mobile and, if you can, render the Wraithlord useless ignoring it.

Yojimbob wrote:If you want a chance in any game you NEED to have at least one QFC like Arka has added.
I have found this not to be true for casual games. While I admit, I am lacking on dedicated anti-tank, most Craftworld vehicles are going to be T7, unless it's a Wraithknight. Unfortunately my Hammerheads are nowhere near completion, otherwise I would go with Longstrike and Co. to cover that angle.[/quote]
Most of their vehicles are T7- and that's exactly why you want the T8 Fusion Blaster. It can rip through T7 units with ease, especially if it's within half range. The problem is, in this list, you have no dedicated anti-tank. Cyclic Ion Rakers are not anti-tank weapons, nor are Ion Rifles. It would take three turns for your all of your Ghostkeels, working together, to finish off a Fire Prism.

Plainshow wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:I know that the ion rifles are cheap and you can add them quickly and easily to pathfinders but I personally don't like having them on there and would rather see a bunch more lights since you are relying on CIB crisis suits.
Really? I have found that a little over 100pts for 9d3 Str8 shots is a bargain in any Codex. Maybe i haven't used them enough, but so far they have been a hidden gem that I'm glad to splash in. Can't say the same for Rail Rifles, though. Those are just too pricey.

9D3 S8 shots at AP-1 sounds good, but at BS3+ and D1 they're surprisingly ineffective. All of that firepower against a Wave Serpent will deal 3 wounds. Against a Wraithknight, ~2 wounds. Ion Rifles are great against T4 models with weak saves, but Eldar don't field those kinds of units.

Plainshow
Shas

Post#9 » Sep 20 2017 07:53

Arka0415 wrote:Personally I don't use lists that aren't Take-All-Comers, but in the rare instance of fighting Eldar the Plasma Rifle is a little better.

I don't normally either, which is why I posted here for a Narrative setting where both forces are definitely prepared to face our specific opponent.

Arka0415 wrote:XV8s need to be active for multiple turns to be a worthy investment.

Couldn't agree more.

Arka0415 wrote:The idea with the Fusion Commander is that, hopefully, you can take the Wraithknight out in a single turn, or at worst two. Not that the Commander will do it all by himself, but rather every anti-tank model in the army will focus on that one target. However, in your army, you have no dedicated anti-tank at all- taking down the Wraithlord will be a process, and it might be best then to tackle it at range. Be careful though- stay mobile and, if you can, render the Wraithlord useless ignoring it.

I'm not blind to that issue, I just feel that splashing a Quad Fusion Commander with out an overall theme to the pick is very unfluffy and doesn't contribute much to a Narrative for the force, let alone splashing 2. I'd be more willing to trade of the Crisis's Plasma for Fusion and drop the Commander with them to keep the idea of a real T'au Mont'ka squad lead by a specialist Sub-Commander. That would be more of a compromise to a theme while still filling that gap.

Arka0415 wrote:Most of their vehicles are T7- and that's exactly why you want the T8 Fusion Blaster. It can rip through T7 units with ease, especially if it's within half range. The problem is, in this list, you have no dedicated anti-tank.

Again, I'm not against Fusion, but it needs to have a theme in the list rather than just a splash pick. Half range will be hard to come by against a faster force. It will require him to both leave the Fusion source alive after Deepstrike, and then not move away from it during his turn. I doubt that will really be a likely scenario. I already disliked having the Enforcer at all, because it didn't really seem to fit a Narrative concept, but it didn't really clash either.

Arka0415 wrote:9D3 S8 shots at AP-1 sounds good, but at BS3+ and D1 they're surprisingly ineffective. All of that firepower against a Wave Serpent will deal 3 wounds. Against a Wraithknight, ~2 wounds. Ion Rifles are great against T4 models with weak saves, but Eldar don't field those kinds of units.

I find them great for bullying T4 models and softening Infantry. Eldar have plenty of T4 or less with 4+ and worse saves. Windriders, Guardians, and half the Aspects. Sure they don't set the world on fire, but for just over 100 points they're versatile and cheap.

I'll play with the Crisis Squad's points and see If I can squeeze Fusion on all three, and then maybe fit the Commander with them then.

Plainshow
Shas

Post#10 » Sep 25 2017 10:28

Post battle wrap-up! Here is the list i finalized on, I did change to the Mont'ka Fusion team:

Battalion:
-155pts-Shas'O R'alai
-56pts-7 Gun Drones
-56pts-7 Gun Drones

Outrider:

Vanguard:
-147pts-Commander w/Shield Gen., 3xFusion Blasters
-321pts-3xCrisis Suits w/6xFusion Blasters, Drone Controller (Shas'ui), 6xGun Drones
-181pts-Ghostkeel w/Ion Raker, 2xBurst Cannons, ATS, Target Lock

1998pts Total

Here's the list I faced (not sure what the Detachment selections were exactly)
-Maugan Ra
-Farseer w/Singing Spear
-Warlock w/Singing Spear
-5 Rangers
-10 Guardians w/S.Cannon
-10 Guardians w/S.Cannon
-5 Striking Scorpions
-6 Striking Scorpions
-5 Dark Reapers
-5 Dark Reapers
-5 Fire Dragons
-Hemlock
-Wraithlord w/2xS.Cannons, 2xFlamers, Ghostglaive
-Wave Serpent w/Triple Cannons
-Wave Serpent w/Triple Cannons

The game was close for the first few turns, with my T'au having a slight lead. The Ghostkeels were definite MVPs, they shredded the Wraithlord, took out the Waveserpent with the Fire Dragons in it, and acted as mobile blockers for the Commanders. Along with the Drones' ability to take wounds, I only lost one Ghostkeel an had another close to down (Dark Reapers don't care about their Stealth abilities), and no Commanders were even touched. The Fusion team took out the Hemlock, and those things are deadly, but that's about it. The Coldstar was critical in grabbing the Relic quickly, and made me want to bring more Missile Pods for their range, I think I'll try out the Quad Missile Commander in my next match. The Fire Warriors and Gun Drones made quick work of any thing that got close to the center of the board or Assaulted. Pathfinder Ion Rifles were rolling so obscenely, my opponent couldn't stand it when he found out how much they cost. They did admeribly against the 3+ armor of the Scorpions and Fire Warriors, who were saving disproportionitly well against Pulse weapons.

The Reapers were a problem. With minimal LoS blocking terrain, they out ranged most of my force, and had their pick of targets. Their ability to ignore negative To Hit modifiers is very strong. Thankfully the drones can take the pain for things like that, I'll be adding more to my force soon, after how well they did here. If I had to deal with a pair of Hemlocks, I would have been in trouble, they are very difficult to hit once Conceal is up and running.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Sep 25 2017 08:21

Plainshow wrote:Post battle wrap-up!

Sounds like a fun battle! :biggrin: Did you win?

Plainshow
Shas

Post#12 » Sep 27 2017 01:16

Victory went to the T'au. In the after analysis, I think I'll switch up my Painting order a bit. For my normal list I was going to use Hammerheads for Anti-Tank, mostly as motivation to get them painted. I didn't like the utility I got from the single Quad Fusion Commander and Crisis team, and I don't want to go down the multiple Enforcer route, so I think I'll go back to the Ghostkeel. I have two unfinished on my shelf right now, so I'll commit to them and deck them out with triple Fusion, Target Locks, and either Multi-Trackers or Velocity Trackers. I know it's not quite optimal, but until we get Chapter Approved and the Codex, I'm not going to purchase too. If I don't end up cutting back the Fire Warriors, I'll want a second Fireblade, and maybe an Ethereal. A few more Shield Drones would be in order to splash into the Gun Drone squads. That way if anyone targets them directly with small arms to thin them out and leave the bigger suits unprotected, the Shield Drones get to take both saves before taking a loss.

Plainshow
Shas

Post#13 » Oct 31 2017 08:28

Here’s the episode if anyone’s interested:
http://www.freebootersnetwork.com/2017/10/27/763/

Return to “Cadre Building”