Green player building a list for 1750 pt event

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Green player building a list for 1750 pt event

Post#19 » Sep 26 2017 06:23

Lostroninsoul wrote:
Elite Tau Sept units are often given the Tau Sept color scheme (ochre and white), but in reverse. So the armor is all white, but the helmet and sept marks and other markings are orange. Very similar to Vior'la (ochre instead of red) but would be true to the Tau Sept color scheme. Could be interesting!

Thanks for the idea. This has been most invaluable :)

You're welcome! Do start a project log as you begin painting the new army!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Sep 27 2017 07:12

Arka0415 wrote:
Lostroninsoul wrote:
Elite Tau Sept units are often given the Tau Sept color scheme (ochre and white), but in reverse. So the armor is all white, but the helmet and sept marks and other markings are orange. Very similar to Vior'la (ochre instead of red) but would be true to the Tau Sept color scheme. Could be interesting!

Thanks for the idea. This has been most invaluable :)

Actually the inversed color scheme wouldn't be like the classic Vior'la white with red undercloth scheme. That one is a special ceremonial color scheme and doesn't really follow the 'rules'.

An inversed T'au color scheme would have white armor plates because it's the Sept color and ochre Sept&Rank markings, but the undercloths would still be the same as the regular color scheme (dark brown iirc).
So yeah you were right with what you said except that it's similar to the Vior'la one you see all the time. Just wanted to clarify that you don't have to paint the undercloths in Sept colors for an inversed color scheme. :P

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Sep 27 2017 08:49

Can you point me in the direction of some samples of an inverse tau sept model painted in the 'correct' style of you are talking about? It would serve as a good painting reference since I'll probably be starting to build and base coat the stormsurge this weekend.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#22 » Sep 27 2017 09:15

Panzer wrote:An inversed T'au color scheme would have white armor plates because it's the Sept color and ochre Sept&Rank markings, but the undercloths would still be the same as the regular color scheme (dark brown iirc).

Luckily the Stormsurge doesn't have any cloth (pretty sure, anyway!), so this is probably a moot point, right? Now I'm imagining a Stormsurge wearing a shirt & trousers under all that armor.

Lostroninsoul wrote:Can you point me in the direction of some samples of an inverse tau sept model painted in the 'correct' style of you are talking about? It would serve as a good painting reference since I'll probably be starting to build and base coat the stormsurge this weekend.

Sure. There are some examples in the Tau painting guide if you have access to that, or, here are some pictures:

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Sep 27 2017 09:31

Arka0415 wrote:
Panzer wrote:An inversed T'au color scheme would have white armor plates because it's the Sept color and ochre Sept&Rank markings, but the undercloths would still be the same as the regular color scheme (dark brown iirc).

Luckily the Stormsurge doesn't have any cloth (pretty sure, anyway!), so this is probably a moot point, right? Now I'm imagining a Stormsurge wearing a shirt & trousers under all that armor.

Yeah I was obviously talking about infantry. :P

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Sep 27 2017 01:37

I really hate painting white. I find it obnoxiously difficult. That maybe due to having thinned paints to thin. But if it makes it look cooler, than 'for the greater good' it is! Lol thanks for some reference pictures.

I started a draft of a post. It will have my entire collection so it will include past projects since I'm still fairly new. I want to spend more time preparing my models until Oct 7. I still need to assemble the storm surge, finish painting my breachers, finish touching up my CIBs (I made the additional 16 I needed), magnetize the CIBs, maybe have enough time to paint Cadre Fireblade or Darkstrider. Lots of work to do :p
Last edited by Lostroninsoul on Sep 27 2017 03:23, edited 1 time in total.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Sep 27 2017 01:51

Painting white is tricky. Don't get too impatient and keep applying thin layers. The result will be a thousand times better than trying to accelerate the process with thicker layers. Priming white or grey helps a little bit.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#26 » Sep 27 2017 11:13

Lostroninsoul wrote:I really hate painting white. I find it obnoxiously difficult. That maybe due to having thinned paints to thin. But if it makes it look cooler, than 'for the greater good' it is! Lol thanks for some reference pictures.

It might sound roundabout, but consider base-coating the Stormsurge white. Don't assemble it just yet, instead paint the mechanical parts black (or dark, dark grey) after spraying the whole thing white. It'll make the white areas a breeze to paint. However, the mechanical parts will be tougher- it's a trade-off.

Shas'O Ora
Shas

Post#27 » Sep 28 2017 10:14

Arka0415 wrote:Looks like a fun list! There are a few tweaks we can make though. First, a nearly 400pt XV8 team really isn't going to make its points back. 8 Missile Pods sounds like a lot, but with BS4+ you're going to see 8 hits, 2-4 wounds, maybe 1D3 or 2D3 damage on a vehicle. Let's just drop that squad for the time being. Also, the Fireblade can't buff Breachers, as they don't carry Pulse Rifles or Pulse Carbines. Lastly, there are a few things we can drop outright- the Seeker Missiles on the Devilfish are too inaccurate, the Pathfinders' Drone will give up First Blood too easily. Let's make these changes and see how the list looks.

HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Yeild Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, ATS (150)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Darkstrider (45)
Troops - 5x Breachers (40)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors (40)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x CIB, 1x Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders (40)
Lord of War - Stormsurge w/ Pulse Driver Cannon, 2x SMS, 2x Burst Cannons, ATS, Shield Generator, Velocity Tracker (496)

This brings us to a total of 1343 points. First, we need to either cut the Fireblade (he's only buffing 5 Fire Warriors!) or add more Fire Warriors. Let's do the latter, and add 15 more (+120). Next, we can add a trusty Commander with Fusion Blasters- hard to beat that unit! Here's how the list would look now:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Yeild Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, ATS (150)
HQ - Darkstrider (45)
Troops - 10x Fire Warriors (80)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders (40)
Lord of War - Stormsurge w/ Pulse Driver Cannon, 2x SMS, 2x Burst Cannons, ATS, Shield Generator, Velocity Tracker (496)

Now we're at 1639, almost there! What we need more of, though, is Markerlights. Given the number of units we have, we'd like to get 5 Markerlight hits per turn. So that's 10 firing Markerlights, and a few to spare. So, let's add 11 more Pathfinders for a total of 16 models (+88), and arm 6 of them with Ion Rifles (+24). They're handy little guns. This is what the new Pathfinder squads would look like by the way:

Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 3x Ion Rifles (76)

Pop these units in the list (and swap out the old 5x Pathfinder unit) and the final list looks like this:

-

HQ - Darkstrider (45)

Total: 1751 - Command Points: 6 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Super-Heavy Auxiliary)

-

What do you think?

I like your last suggestion and it is in big parts similar to my own army composition.
How would you fill up the points if you abandon the Stormsurge?
Would two Gunrigs be a valid Option?
I switched from Hammerheads to Gunrigs after very dissapointing results from the tanks but haven´t tried it till now.
If your infantry stays defensive, is a Devilfish for the Breacher Team still indispensable?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#28 » Sep 28 2017 06:59

Shas'O Ora wrote:I like your last suggestion and it is in big parts similar to my own army composition.
How would you fill up the points if you abandon the Stormsurge?
Would two Gunrigs be a valid Option?
I switched from Hammerheads to Gunrigs after very dissapointing results from the tanks but haven´t tried it till now.
If your infantry stays defensive, is a Devilfish for the Breacher Team still indispensable?

Thinking of using this list, but don't have a Stormsurge? That's okay. In that case though, you would definitely need to add Commanders and/or Longstrike. There's an "alpha strike" role in Tau armies that can really only be filled by Commanders and Stormsurges. Let's say you dropped the Stormsurge- that would give you enough points remaining for another Commanders, some Stealthsuits, Longstrike, and maybe a little more. Something like that. Also, you probably shouldn't use Gunrigs- they're really not a viable unit unless you get really lucky with your rolling.

Breachers not embarked in a Devilfish are like modern-day Paratroopers in a tank- sure, it's a possible deployment, but it wastes the potential of those Breachers. Unless they're firing at 10" or less, Breachers are inferior to Fire Warriors. If you use them defensively, they'll probably get charged (and killed) before they get to use that super 5" range profile.

Also, one final thing: I've made an error in these lists, the Breachers should be combined into one squad of 10. That way Darkstrider's ability will be more effective.

Anyway, here's a possible Stormsurge-free 1750-point list:

-

HQ - Darkstrider (45)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x Burst Cannons, 2x Seeker Missiles (205)
Troops - 10x Breachers (80)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons (110)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 8x Markerlights (64)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (76)

Total: 1750 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Supreme Command Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Shas'O Ora
Shas

Post#29 » Sep 29 2017 11:43

First, thanks for your support and help.
After looking at the stats of the stormsurge I understand why it is so valuable but sadly at the moment I am not playing enough to spend so much Money.

I haven´t used Stealth Suits till now. What is their task in this list?
I added two Pathfinders to every team - one markerlight and three Ion Rifles more but mainly
...and autism kicks in...because I would like to have the same manpower in every infantry team. :roll:

The list then looks like this:

HQ - Darkstrider (45)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 7x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (92)

Total: 1668 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Supreme Command Detachment)

After this 82 Points are left.
I thought about
2x Seeker Missiles for the Devilfish (10)
2x Recon Drone (24)
2x Grav-inhibitor Drone (16)
4x Gun or Shield Drone(32)
Half of the Drones for every Pathfinder Team.

If all this is total BS I have to spend the 100 bucks for the stormsurge. :::(

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#30 » Sep 30 2017 11:25

I really wouldn't worry about the stormsurge. It's just there for me as a fun factor. I just really wanted to run one so I bought one. In a list that 1750 points it's not probably point effective at all especially considering I went with the more expensive options it has. Its purpose is to antagonise my opponent to draw good units out into the open. I think commanders or Longstrike is definitely a solid replacement. A ghostkneel my also help soak up a storm surges points. I been also toying with the idea of fortifications and I probably would choose a drone port over the gun rig.

I'm still painting my breachers and I haven't assembled my storm surge for next week's event LOL. At least they 'should' be done today.

Currently I want to run the list list this:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [62 PL, 1253pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [7 PL, 150pts]: Advanced targeting system, High-output burst cannon, Missile pod, Shield generator

Darkstrider [3 PL, 45pts]

+ Troops +

Breacher Team [3 PL, 40pts]: 4x Fire Warrior, Fire Warrior Shas'ui

Breacher Team [3 PL, 40pts]: 4x Fire Warrior, Fire Warrior Shas'ui

Kroot Carnivores [3 PL, 60pts]: 10x Kroot

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [28 PL, 659pts]: 10x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Cyclic ion blaster, Drone controller
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'vre: 3x Cyclic ion blaster

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [6 PL, 80pts]
. 10x Pathfinder: 10x Markerlight

+ Dedicated Transport +

TY7 Devilfish [7 PL, 137pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Burst cannon, 2x Seeker missile

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (T'au Empire) [22 PL, 496pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

KV128 Stormsurge [22 PL, 496pts]: 2x Burst cannon, Advanced targeting system, Cluster rocket system, 4x Destroyer missile, Pulse driver cannon, Shield generator, 2x Smart missile system, Velocity tracker

++ Total: [84 PL, 1749pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Shas'O Ora
Shas

Post#31 » Oct 01 2017 05:10

I am always in temptation to put more crisis suits in my army, simply because I like them and they can be used for nearly every task.
So I would be interesting on your experience if your big Crisis Team worked succesfull or if two smaller Teams would have been more handy.

By the way, what weapon model do you use as CIB?
A lot of people are using it but i could imagine that no one really has 8 or even 17 CIBs
and It would be nice to have some similarities there on Tau side. :)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#32 » Oct 01 2017 06:25

For Shas'O Ora:

Shas'O Ora wrote:First, thanks for your support and help.

You're welcome!

Shas'O Ora wrote:I haven´t used Stealth Suits till now. What is their task in this list?
I added two Pathfinders to every team - one markerlight and three Ion Rifles more but mainly
...and autism kicks in...because I would like to have the same manpower in every infantry team. :roll:

My mistake- the Stealthsuits cost 110 points because they have a Homing Beacon, forgot to write that in. The Stealthsuits use infiltrate, and deploy forward to drop their homing beacon and assist one of the Fusion Commanders. Also, feel free to increase the number of Pathfinders per team- that's a lot of Pathfinders, but it's also redundant. Personally, I keep Pathfinders and Fire Warriors at different squad sizes, to better reflect the fact that they have very different roles.

If you want to drop the Stealthsuits, and you have 82 points left, then replace Longstrike's Burst Cannons with Smart Missile Systems (+20), add a squad of 6x Gun Drones (+48) as a screening unit for the Fire Warriors and as it gives you another Command Point, and finally use the last few points to put Seeker Missiles on the Devilfish (+10). Here's that list:

-

HQ - Darkstrider (45)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (225)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (137)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)

Total: 1746 - Command Points: 8 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Supreme Command Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

If you're really a fan of Ion Rifles that ignore cover though, we can instead add the SMS on Longstrike, and then give each Pathfinder squad a Recon Drone and two Shield Drones (or one Shield Drone and a Grav-Inhibitor Drone, your call). We'd have room for only one Seeker on the Devilfish though.

-

HQ - Darkstrider (45)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (225)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 1x Seeker Missile; 2x Gun Drones (132)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 7x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles; 1x Recon Drone, 2x Shield Drones (120)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 7x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles; 1x Recon Drone, 2x Shield Drones (120)

Total: 1749 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Supreme Command Detachment

-

Either of those look interesting?

-

Shas'O Ora wrote:I am always in temptation to put more crisis suits in my army, simply because I like them and they can be used for nearly every task.
So I would be interesting on your experience if your big Crisis Team worked succesfull or if two smaller Teams would have been more handy.

Personally, I like two squads of 3 XV8s. I find the large squads to be unwieldy, and an obvious "tell" of your strategy. In the early days of 8th Edition many people experimented with large squads of XV8s but they don't seem popular anymore.

Shas'O Ora wrote:By the way, what weapon model do you use as CIB?
A lot of people are using it but i could imagine that no one really has 8 or even 17 CIBs

This is the model I use:

http://www.reddogminis.com/catalog/item ... 338245.htm

Produced by one of our own, Paulson! Excellent-quality casts and look great too.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#33 » Oct 01 2017 06:36

For Lostroninsoul:

Lostroninsoul wrote:I really wouldn't worry about the stormsurge. It's just there for me as a fun factor. I just really wanted to run one so I bought one. In a list that 1750 points it's not probably point effective at all especially considering I went with the more expensive options it has.

If you buy a Stormsurge, you might as well use it right? :biggrin:

About your list: Combine the Breachers (this is necessary given Darkstrider's buff), split the XV8s (need flexibility in a list with low number of threats), drop the Fireblade (you have no Fire Warriors), and add one more squad of 10 Kroot (protection for the Stormsurge and Battalion requirement). You'll also need to drop one Seeker Missile to make the points fit. Anyway, here's what that list would look like:

-

HQ - Darkstrider (45)
Troops - 10x Kroot Carnivores (60)
Troops - 10x Kroot Carnivores (60)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 1x Seeker Missile; 2x Gun Drones (132)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 10x Markerlights (80)

Total: 1749 - Command Points: 6 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Shas'O Ora
Shas

Post#34 » Oct 01 2017 08:51

My mistake- the Stealthsuits cost 110 points because they have a Homing Beacon, forgot to write that in. The Stealthsuits use infiltrate, and deploy forward to drop their homing beacon and assist one of the Fusion Commanders. Also, feel free to increase the number of Pathfinders per team- that's a lot of Pathfinders, but it's also redundant. Personally, I keep Pathfinders and Fire Warriors at different squad sizes, to better reflect the fact that they have very different roles.

OK, you are right and I am persuaded. Efficiency should be the most important point and with the Homing Beacon the Stealth Team has a meaningful task.
So I stay with your first Suggestion + one Seeker Missiles for Devilfish and Fusion Blaster for Stealth Suit Sha´s Vre
(with my luck it is the one shot which decides about killing or not killing the target of the Commander :P :

HQ - Darkstrider (45)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 2x Burst Cannons, 1x Fusion Blaster, 1x Homing Beacan (121)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 8x Markerlights (64)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (76)

Are the Pathfinders ment to mark one unit 5 times to destroy it entirely or
grant +1 BF through marking many enemy Units?
I expect the first one makes more sence for Tau, right?

Thanks for answering really every question.

This is the model I use:

http://www.reddogminis.com/catalog/item ... 338245.htm

The CIBs on this side are really looking nice and after checking the customs duty I plan to use them, too.
Last edited by Shas'O Ora on Oct 02 2017 05:30, edited 1 time in total.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#35 » Oct 01 2017 10:10

Sad news. Next week event, I can't go to it. All this preparation for naught. Life happened: I got a second job opportunity but it required sacrifice ...-for the greater good. :sad: Looks like I'll be jamming these ideas in casual play at the LGS. I havent been there is many weeks due to spending more time painting than playing. I'll hit them up and let you know how it goes. But thanks everyone for the feedback. :)

If you buy a Stormsurge, you might as well use it right? :biggrin:

Agreed! :biggrin:

By the way, what weapon model do you use as CIB?

http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26580&p=335771#p335771
There was my solution.

Shas'O Ora
Shas

Post#36 » Oct 02 2017 05:38

http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26580&p=335771#p335771
There was my solution.

Thanks, nice to know about this.
But for the CIBs I think I will go the expensive, lazy way and simply spend a lot of Money :D

Return to “Cadre Building”