Green player building a list for 1750 pt event

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Re: Green player building a list for 1750 pt event

Post#73 » Dec 04 2017 11:40

So I am preping for a small 1500 point event.

Details:
6 Random presents will be scattered throughout the battlefield; 3 will contain objectives to hold, 3 will contain bombs to surely devastate whatever is in its range. Build a 1500 point army with at least 1 battalion. You will battle it out over 90 minute rounds. 3 rounds minimum. Rounds and prizes dependant on participation.

List:
Super heavy auxillary dettachment #1
Stormsurge:burst cannon, pulse blaster cannon ats 392

Super heavy auxillary dettachment#2
Stormsurge:burst cannon, pulse blaster cannon ats 392

Battalion
Strikers x5 w/markerlight 43
Comander:ats, CIBx 3 shield dronex2. 154

Outrider
Longstrike(exemplar of Mont'ka/relic): Rail/SMS 191
Kroot hounds x4. 16
Kroot hounds x4. 16
Kroot hounds x4. 16
Pathfinders x5. 40

Plan: The hounds will dash towards the objectives to see what is safe and what isn't. Pathfinders will try to prioritize finding cover. Strike teams help provide a tiny amount of markerlight support. The stormsurges are just to heavily defend valuable areas. Long strike will provide long range fire support. Commanders are my catch all.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#74 » Dec 05 2017 08:00

Looks like a bizarre event! Should be fun. Anyway, two Stormsurges will cause a lot of damage, but without Shield Generators I'm afraid they'll take a lot of damage. And also, definitely fill all of the Support System hardpoints on the Stormsurge- when you're paying ~400 points for a behemoth like that you want it to be operating at its full potential.

By the way, Longstrike costs 215 with that loadout, and (as a named character) I'm pretty sure he can't take a relic. Anyway I'd just drop him.

So drop Longstrike (-191), Give your two Stormsurges Shield Generators and Stimulant Injectors (+96), add a Fireblade to replace Longstrike (+42), and maybe another Pathfinder squad or something like that? Markerlights will be very important in this list, with so many Destroyer Missiles and whatnot!

What do you think?

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#75 » Dec 05 2017 10:52

Arka0415 wrote:Looks like a bizarre event! Should be fun. Anyway, two Stormsurges will cause a lot of damage, but without Shield Generators I'm afraid they'll take a lot of damage. And also, definitely fill all of the Support System hardpoints on the Stormsurge- when you're paying ~400 points for a behemoth like that you want it to be operating at its full potential.

By the way, Longstrike costs 215 with that loadout, and (as a named character) I'm pretty sure he can't take a relic. Anyway I'd just drop him.

So drop Longstrike (-191), Give your two Stormsurges Shield Generators and Stimulant Injectors (+96), add a Fireblade to replace Longstrike (+42), and maybe another Pathfinder squad or something like that? Markerlights will be very important in this list, with so many Destroyer Missiles and whatnot!

What do you think?

It's some food for thought. I haven't thought about cutting long strike for points. 2 Stormsurges are more important to me than longstrike. Longstrike is a new unit for me as well.

Your suggestion trigger this for a thought for me. Maybe I should cut the second commander. 1. It will save points, 2. It will save time (the commander is primed but still on the sprue and I'm only halfway finished painting the storm surge). I'm leaning toward the cutting the commander, it will make it easier to finish the 2nd stormsurge nicely and 100% by the 23rd.

As for the kroot hounds and longstrike, I bought them secondhand so they are already painted good enough to mesh with my army paint scheme.

List:
Stormsurge:burst, P-blaster cannon ,ats,stim,shield 437

Battalion
Strikers x5 40
Fireblade cadre 42

Outrider
Longstrike(exemplar of Mont'ka/relic): Rail/SMS 215
Kroot hounds x4. 16
Kroot hounds x4. 16
Kroot hounds x4. 16
Pathfinders x5. 40

It comes in at 1499. I played a game Sunday using my partially completed storm surge against orcs. One storm surge surge survived until the 3rd turn under extremely heavy fire in a 2000 point game this weekend. 104 close combat dice from Boyz, and a lot of shots from other parts of the orc army, and was still standing at 6 wounds after that turn 1). I fell in love with that layout because it can take a massive beating :). Thanks arka I feel this list is a better one now

Also I may want to consider darkstrider. Chapter approve allows darkstrider to kamikaze. With vanguard, exemplar of Mont'ka and the markerlight stratagem, he can allow the destroyer missles to go off easy. I'm probably not going to try it, for this event, but I'll keep it in mind.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#76 » Dec 06 2017 03:31

Lostroninsoul wrote:It's some food for thought. I haven't thought about cutting long strike for points. 2 Stormsurges are more important to me than longstrike. Longstrike is a new unit for me as well.

Let me be a little more frank- Longstrike isn't very effective as a tank-killer. His main role is as a long-range supporting weapon that can finish off tanks at a distance, something Fusion Commanders cannot do. However, you have two Storsmsurges, which fill that role quite nicely already, and you have no Hammerheads to buff; this makes Longstrike completely unnecessary.

Lostroninsoul wrote:Your suggestion trigger this for a thought for me. Maybe I should cut the second commander. 1. It will save points, 2. It will save time (the commander is primed but still on the sprue and I'm only halfway finished painting the storm surge). I'm leaning toward the cutting the commander, it will make it easier to finish the 2nd stormsurge nicely and 100% by the 23rd.

Sure, you could cut a Commander if you like- however, Commanders are our best units, so I'd think twice about that.

Lostroninsoul wrote:List:

Battalion
Strikers x5 40
Fireblade cadre 42

Outrider
Longstrike(exemplar of Mont'ka/relic): Rail/SMS 215
Kroot hounds x4. 16
Kroot hounds x4. 16
Kroot hounds x4. 16
Pathfinders x5. 40

Sure, if you want two Stormsurges and you're wlling to drop a Commander, this looks decent. Remember again that Longstrike is not allowed to take a Relic.

Lostroninsoul wrote:Also I may want to consider darkstrider. Chapter approve allows darkstrider to kamikaze. With vanguard, exemplar of Mont'ka and the markerlight stratagem, he can allow the destroyer missles to go off easy. I'm probably not going to try it, for this event, but I'll keep it in mind.

Markerlights have very long ranges- unless you're trying to hit a target 45"+ away, this is definitely unnecessary :D

Return to “Cadre Building”