First time 500pt list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Sloth
Shas

First time 500pt list

Post#1 » Sep 24 2017 02:05

So i bough the get started box and am not too sure how to run it to have a playable army. Ive got a rough list written but im honestly unsure if its good or if some of the things ive included are flat out wastes of points. So my idea is to have a small army that i can flesh out into a full 2k point list. heres what ive got so far.

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [25 PL, 500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Ethereal [3 PL, 50pts]: Honour blade, Hover Drone

+ Troops +

Strike Team [5 PL, 100pts]: DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ SMS
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse carbine, Pulse pistol
. 2x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Carbine
. 7x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [13 PL, 268pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Plasma rifle
. Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Plasma rifle
. Crisis Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, 2x Fusion blaster

+ Fast Attack +

Tactical Drones [2 PL, 40pts]: 4x MV7 Marker Drone

++ Total: [25 PL, 500pts] ++

joc-wi
Shas

Re: First time 500pt list

Post#2 » Sep 24 2017 03:24

Hi Sloth. Welcome to ATT!
This is your first army and you have not played with it yet?

I am sure there will be a lot of us that can give you tips how to optimize against certain opponents, how to handle the "current meta" and how to optimize things to improve point/return value by 20 percent.

But the thing is: Do play. Play a few games. Loose a few games.
You got something against against "hard things" and something against "multiple soft things" - so you will likely be fine.

Your opponents are (very likely) in it for the fun first and winning second. If not: spend your first few games finding people who are fun to play with.

When you are firm with the rules but keep loosing or when you have problems beating a certain opponent: come back to have your list optimized :-)

PS: Try to avoid "simply-kill-the-opponent" games - they sound simple but will spoil the fun :D . Make a few photos and tell us how your first few games went!

PPS: You might want to tell us something about you in the membership profiles :-)

[Edit: ] PPPS: I reread your post, and I get the impression that you did not yet assemble your army. In that case, you might want to assemble your Fire-Warriors so that they all have the same weapon. You can either maneuver them in a way so that you make best use of a 30''-weapons-range or a 18''-weapons-range. But you cannot maneuver them to make best use of both ;) . You could divide them into two teams, though.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 24 2017 07:40

I highly recommend looking into magnetizing those crisis suits. It may seem intimidating at first but definitely looking to it because your will want to switch up their weapons, a lot. Best weapons for your crisis suits are fusions blasters (good for taking out big monsters and things with high saves). Middle pods are nice for giving you some range. The start collecting tau doesn't come with cyclic ion blasters but they are another good choice for the crisis suites. You may need to look into doing conversion/proxy them. You appear to have a patrol dettachment. Your list is a great start. What is your favorite model so far?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Sep 24 2017 09:27

Sloth wrote:So i bough the get started box and am not too sure how to run it to have a playable army. Ive got a rough list written but im honestly unsure if its good or if some of the things ive included are flat out wastes of points. So my idea is to have a small army that i can flesh out into a full 2k point list. heres what ive got so far.

Welcome to ATT, and of course to 40k too!

A few things about making lists in 40k- first, make sure everything has a role, and that everything in the squad performs that role. So, all models have the same/similar weapon ranges, weapon strength/AP profiles, etc. Second, make sure not to add wargear you don't plan to use every turn! With that, let's see what we can do. It looks like you have a Fireblade, and the Start Collecting box, which would give you these models:

1x Cadre Fireblade
1x Ethereal on Hover Drone
3x XV8x
10x Fire Warriors
1x Support Turret
8x Drones

We have a decent anti-infantry corps with the Fire Warriors, Drones, and the Fireblade, but we're really lacking in anti-tank units! So, equipping those XV8s for anti-tank will be very important. Let's see how much room we have to work with:

HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Ethereal on Hover Drone w/ Honour Blade (50)
Troops - 10x Fire Warriors w/ 10x Pulse Rifles (80)

That's 172 points, giving us 328 points to spend on XV8s! Well, lucky us- the best anti-tank XV8 loadout is 327 points. What a coincidence! Let's add it in:

Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Fusion Blasters, 3x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (327)

In this squad, one XV8 carries 3 Flamers and the others carry all Fusion Blasters- the Flamer XV8 protects the squad against infantry and can die first without losing you Fusion Blasters. Or, you can do a balanced build and give each XV8 two Fusion Blasters and a Flamer.

However, I'm not a fan of two HQs in such a small list- let's drop the Ethereal (-50) and remove two Gun Drones from the XV8 squad (-16) and add a squad of 4x Marker Drones (+40). We'll also have room to add that Support Turret back in (+20) as well as give our Fire Warrior Shas'ui a Markerlight (+3). Here's the final list!

-

Troops - 10x Fire Warriors w/ 10x Pulse Rifles, 1x Markerlight; Support Turret w/ SMS (103)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Fusion Blasters, 3x Flamers; 4x Gun Drones (311)
Fast Attack - 4x Marker Drones (40)

Total: 496 - Command Points: 3 (1 Patrol Detachment)

-

To expand this list, 10 more Fire Warriors and a Commander would be a great start- that would get you more Drones, anti-infantry firepower, and a powerful Battlesuit too!

Anyway, what do you think?

Sloth
Shas

Post#5 » Sep 24 2017 12:11

Wow i could not be more amazed with the feedback and response fromm my fellow shas <3 i love all the ideas
joc-wi wrote:Hi Sloth. Welcome to ATT!
This is your first army and you have not played with it yet?

I am sure there will be a lot of us that can give you tips how to optimize against certain opponents, how to handle the "current meta" and how to optimize things to improve point/return value by 20 percent.

But the thing is: Do play. Play a few games. Loose a few games.
You got something against against "hard things" and something against "multiple soft things" - so you will likely be fine.

Your opponents are (very likely) in it for the fun first and winning second. If not: spend your first few games finding people who are fun to play with.

When you are firm with the rules but keep loosing or when you have problems beating a certain opponent: come back to have your list optimized :-)

PS: Try to avoid "simply-kill-the-opponent" games - they sound simple but will spoil the fun :D . Make a few photos and tell us how your first few games went!

PPS: You might want to tell us something about you in the membership profiles :-)

[Edit: ] PPPS: I reread your post, and I get the impression that you did not yet assemble your army. In that case, you might want to assemble your Fire-Warriors so that they all have the same weapon. You can either maneuver them in a way so that you make best use of a 30''-weapons-range or a 18''-weapons-range. But you cannot maneuver them to make best use of both ;) . You could divide them into two teams, though.

Yes i absolutely plan on playing for fun at first and have got some friends keen on doing that with objective and story based games! Ill definatly pop over to membership and give a little greeting too thank you for the reminder!!
Lostroninsoul wrote:I highly recommend looking into magnetizing those crisis suits. It may seem intimidating at first but definitely looking to it because your will want to switch up their weapons, a lot. Best weapons for your crisis suits are fusions blasters (good for taking out big monsters and things with high saves). Middle pods are nice for giving you some range. The start collecting tau doesn't come with cyclic ion blasters but they are another good choice for the crisis suites. You may need to look into doing conversion/proxy them. You appear to have a patrol dettachment. Your list is a great start. What is your favorite model so far?

This is something i have thought long and hard about and am currently in the process of finding magnets hahah as for CIBs ive also looked at modelling some. Id have to say my favorite models so far are the xv8's such sleek design and when posed right very menacing!
Arka0415 wrote:
Sloth wrote:So i bough the get started box and am not too sure how to run it to have a playable army. Ive got a rough list written but im honestly unsure if its good or if some of the things ive included are flat out wastes of points. So my idea is to have a small army that i can flesh out into a full 2k point list. heres what ive got so far.

Welcome to ATT, and of course to 40k too!

A few things about making lists in 40k- first, make sure everything has a role, and that everything in the squad performs that role. So, all models have the same/similar weapon ranges, weapon strength/AP profiles, etc. Second, make sure not to add wargear you don't plan to use every turn! With that, let's see what we can do. It looks like you have a Fireblade, and the Start Collecting box, which would give you these models:

1x Cadre Fireblade
1x Ethereal on Hover Drone
3x XV8x
10x Fire Warriors
1x Support Turret
8x Drones

We have a decent anti-infantry corps with the Fire Warriors, Drones, and the Fireblade, but we're really lacking in anti-tank units! So, equipping those XV8s for anti-tank will be very important. Let's see how much room we have to work with:

Troops - 10x Fire Warriors w/ 10x Pulse Rifles (80)

That's 172 points, giving us 328 points to spend on XV8s! Well, lucky us- the best anti-tank XV8 loadout is 327 points. What a coincidence! Let's add it in:

Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Fusion Blasters, 3x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (327)

In this squad, one XV8 carries 3 Flamers and the others carry all Fusion Blasters- the Flamer XV8 protects the squad against infantry and can die first without losing you Fusion Blasters. Or, you can do a balanced build and give each XV8 two Fusion Blasters and a Flamer.

However, I'm not a fan of two HQs in such a small list- let's drop the Ethereal (-50) and remove two Gun Drones from the XV8 squad (-16) and add a squad of 4x Marker Drones (+40). We'll also have room to add that Support Turret back in (+20) as well as give our Fire Warrior Shas'ui a Markerlight (+3). Here's the final list!

-

Troops - 10x Fire Warriors w/ 10x Pulse Rifles, 1x Markerlight; Support Turret w/ SMS (103)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Fusion Blasters, 3x Flamers; 4x Gun Drones (311)
Fast Attack - 4x Marker Drones (40)

Total: 496 - Command Points: 3 (1 Patrol Detachment)

-

To expand this list, 10 more Fire Warriors and a Commander would be a great start- that would get you more Drones, anti-infantry firepower, and a powerful Battlesuit too!

Anyway, what do you think?

I really love the idea of the fusion blaster flamer squad of xv8s and potentially taking more drones as well (more firepower is never a bad thing) but i kind of want to keep my ethereal on for just a touch longer , simply because i have him and i like the model. Thank you for your incredibly detailed feedback. I think that list you wrote will end up being my kind of "starter list" once i finish assembling and painting.

Thank you again to everyone for the feedback im aimply amazed and in love with this community, when i play my first game ill be sure to post a battlereport too! Cant wait to get further into the tau lore fluff and lifestyle :P

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Sep 24 2017 06:54

Sloth wrote:I really love the idea of the fusion blaster flamer squad of xv8s and potentially taking more drones as well (more firepower is never a bad thing) but i kind of want to keep my ethereal on for just a touch longer , simply because i have him and i like the model. Thank you for your incredibly detailed feedback. I think that list you wrote will end up being my kind of "starter list" once i finish assembling and painting.

I'm only saying to drop the Ethereal in a 500-point game- any size above that (750, 1000, etc) he's a viable unit. Otherwise, feel free to use him! But, if you really want the Ethereal, he won't be too hard to fit in. Here we are, 500pts and one Ethereal:

-

Troops - 10x Fire Warriors w/ 10x Pulse Rifles, 1x Markerlight (83)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Fusion Blasters, 2x Flamers, 1x Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)

Total: 498 - Command Points: 3 (1 Patrol Detachment)

-

What do you think?

There's one problem with this list though- anti-tank is about 60% of the points in the army. But I think that's okay, since your choice is between having too much anti-tank, or having no anti-tank. The compromise would be to make an "anti-everything" XV8 squad using Cyclic Ion Blasters. Those weapons don't come on the ordinary XV8 sprue, but you can buy 3rd-party versions or 3D-printed ones online.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Sep 24 2017 09:47

A CIB comes in a normal commander box. This site has alternative kit bashing conversions in the modeling forum. As for cheep strong magnets, my first starter magnets I got at hobby lobby craft magnets that were sized '0.125 inn , 3mm, 24pc.' They worked well for my crisis suits. I don't see them on there website, but I saw them at their stores in two different locations

Sloth
Shas

Post#8 » Sep 24 2017 10:37

Arka0415 wrote:
Sloth wrote:I really love the idea of the fusion blaster flamer squad of xv8s and potentially taking more drones as well (more firepower is never a bad thing) but i kind of want to keep my ethereal on for just a touch longer , simply because i have him and i like the model. Thank you for your incredibly detailed feedback. I think that list you wrote will end up being my kind of "starter list" once i finish assembling and painting.

I'm only saying to drop the Ethereal in a 500-point game- any size above that (750, 1000, etc) he's a viable unit. Otherwise, feel free to use him! But, if you really want the Ethereal, he won't be too hard to fit in. Here we are, 500pts and one Ethereal:

-

Troops - 10x Fire Warriors w/ 10x Pulse Rifles, 1x Markerlight (83)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Fusion Blasters, 2x Flamers, 1x Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)

Total: 498 - Command Points: 3 (1 Patrol Detachment)

-

What do you think?

There's one problem with this list though- anti-tank is about 60% of the points in the army. But I think that's okay, since your choice is between having too much anti-tank, or having no anti-tank. The compromise would be to make an "anti-everything" XV8 squad using Cyclic Ion Blasters. Those weapons don't come on the ordinary XV8 sprue, but you can buy 3rd-party versions or 3D-printed ones online.

I think what ive settled on is your list but instead equiping the xv8s in a slightly different way. Gonna run one with 2 plasma rifle one flamer and the other 2 with 3 fusion blasters. Then run everything else how you initially suggested. Does that sound like a realistic thing or nah?
Lostroninsoul wrote:A CIB comes in a normal commander box. This site has alternative kit bashing conversions in the modeling forum. As for cheep strong magnets, my first starter magnets I got at hobby lobby craft magnets that were sized '0.125 inn , 3mm, 24pc.' They worked well for my crisis suits. I don't see them on there website, but I saw them at their stores in two different locations

Definatly getting a commander more firewarriors and a devilfish next. Then maybe some broadsides.
And self modelling them is a huge interest of mine so i may try that but that magnet website is a huge help thank you!!!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Sep 24 2017 10:57

Lostroninsoul wrote:A CIB comes in a normal commander box. This site has alternative kit bashing conversions in the modeling forum. As for cheep strong magnets, my first starter magnets I got at hobby lobby craft magnets that were sized '0.125 inn , 3mm, 24pc.' They worked well for my crisis suits. I don't see them on there website, but I saw them at their stores in two different locations

Or buy 18 Commanders and take the CIB out of each box :P

Anyway, yeah, for new players magnetizing your XV8s is a great thing to do! There are lots of guides online, feel free to ask if you want us to point you in the right direction though, Sloth. I've had success with 3x2mm N52 neodymium magnets in the arms, 3x1mm N52 in the weapons, and 3x1mm N52 up on top of the jet packs (for the weapon mounts up top).

Return to “Cadre Building”