1.5k Casual Game

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

1.5k Casual Game

Post#1 » Sep 25 2017 01:28

What are people's thoughts on this list? It's primarily against imperium, but beyond this no idea.

HQ:
Aun'va

Fast Attack:
6 x Shield Drone
6 x Shield Drone
6 x Shield Drone
6 x Shield Drone

Lord of War
KX139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour: 2 x Tri-axis Cannon, Nexus Meteor Missile System

I toyed with the idea of taking technical drones instead of shield, but I think that net net straight up shield drones are more effective.

It's not entirely competitive but do people at least think that it is viable?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 1.5k Casual Game

Post#2 » Sep 25 2017 05:48

Emberkahn wrote:What are people's thoughts on this list? It's primarily against imperium, but beyond this no idea.

HQ:
Aun'va

Fast Attack:
6 x Shield Drone
6 x Shield Drone
6 x Shield Drone
6 x Shield Drone

Lord of War
KX139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour: 2 x Tri-axis Cannon, Nexus Meteor Missile System

I toyed with the idea of taking technical drones instead of shield, but I think that net net straight up shield drones are more effective.

It's not entirely competitive but do people at least think that it is viable?

Fun idea! In this case though, the Tau'nar (being what, 1000+ points) must be in the action, shooting every turn of the game, for this to work. So the Nexus Meteor Missile System is a really inideal weapon as it has a 24" minimum range- even with your 16" move a lot of the action will take place within that range. With that in mind, let's swap out the Missiles for the Pulse Ordnance Multi-Driver. Also, with the Tau'nar, you can't forget the secondary weapons- it carries both four Burst Cannons and four Smart Missile Systems.

For the rest of the list, Shield Drone spam is good. We need 1-2 Markerlights though, since letting the Tau'nar re-roll ones will be crucial. It basically needs to hit every shot. Anyway, let's look at a possible list:

-

HQ - Ethereal on Hover Drone (50)
Fast Attack - 5x Shield Drones, 1x Marker Drone (50)
Lord of War - Tau'nar w/ Pulse Ordnance Multi-Driver, 2x Tri-Axis Ion Cannon, 4x Burst Cannons, 4x SMS (1200)

Total: 1500 - Command Points: 4 (1 Outrider Detachment, 1 Super-Heavy Auxiliary)

-

What do you think?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 25 2017 06:13

Bringing a Tau'nar and a buttload of Shield Drones doesn't sound very "casual" to me lol

Anyway, you either completely obliterate your opponent, or he'll see his stuff shot off of the table while collecting objectives and trying to survive until the game ends. Doesn't sound like a fun list to play against at all so out of respect it's not something I'd bring ever in a casual game no matter how strong it is or not.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Sep 25 2017 07:45

Panzer wrote:Bringing a Tau'nar and a buttload of Shield Drones doesn't sound very "casual" to me lol

Anyway, you either completely obliterate your opponent, or he'll see his stuff shot off of the table while collecting objectives and trying to survive until the game ends. Doesn't sound like a fun list to play against at all so out of respect it's not something I'd bring ever in a casual game no matter how strong it is or not.

I assumed he was planning some casual games to use the Tau'nar in. If this list is just for open-tables night or whatever, it may certainly feel powergame-y.

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Sep 25 2017 11:45

It's casual around beers, but we have a standing agreement of being competitive but not weblisty. For example I've come up against 200 conscripts before etc. I mean casual more that we don't take it too seriously, even if we take strong things.

Regarding marker drones: that's the point of Aun'va. He gives it Reroll 1's AND 6+ FNP. Far more effective than markerlights which can only fire at one target.

Regarding meteor system: I agree, but I find the pulse ordinance incredibly underwhelming. In honesty my strategy was just to camp at the back in the corner, use the meteors to neutralise a vehicle a turn and wait for his infantry to run to me to get shots in with the secondaries. That being said, perhaps its a little unnecessary.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Sep 26 2017 08:28

Emberkahn wrote:It's casual around beers, but we have a standing agreement of being competitive but not weblisty. For example I've come up against 200 conscripts before etc. I mean casual more that we don't take it too seriously, even if we take strong things.

Sounds like a good place for the Tau'nar then! Though, 200 Conscripts would be tough for the Tau'nar to kill!

Emberkahn wrote:Regarding marker drones: that's the point of Aun'va. He gives it Reroll 1's AND 6+ FNP. Far more effective than markerlights which can only fire at one target.

Makes sense- I just looked at the Tau'nar datasheet, I could have sworn it had a rule that let it fire Heavy weapons while moving. I guess not! With that in mind then, there'll be no problem with having it re-roll ones, since it'll be re-rolling 1s anyway. That sad, if there is some way for it to move and fire Heavy weapons, that would be great. Let's put Aun'va back in.

Emberkahn wrote:I agree, but I find the pulse ordinance incredibly underwhelming. In honesty my strategy was just to camp at the back in the corner, use the meteors to neutralise a vehicle a turn and wait for his infantry to run to me to get shots in with the secondaries. That being said, perhaps its a little unnecessary.

If you find the Pulse Ordinance underwhelming you'll probably find the Nexus Missile System underwhelming too; it has statistically one more shot (though the total can vary, which is less-than-ideal) but has a lower strength, a minimum range, and lacks the secondary fire profile. That strategy with the Nexus Missile System sounds interesting, and it'd be easy for you to kill a backfield vehicle, but... it'd also be just as easy for your opponent to charge forward and get inside that 24" range, neutering your biggest gun.

Anyway, let's put Aun'va back in. Also, you mentioned facing infantry, so it could be good to bring a few Gun Drones in here two. Just thinking.

-

Aun'va, Master of the Undying Spirit; 2x Ethereal Honour Guard (75)
Fast Attack - 2x Shield Drone, 6x Gun Drones (64)
Fast Attack - 5x Shield Drones (40)
Lord of War - Tau'nar w/ Pulse Ordnance Multi-Driver, 2x Tri-Axis Ion Cannon, 4x Burst Cannons, 4x SMS (1200)

Total: 1499 - Command Points: 4 (1 Outrider Detachment, 1 Super-Heavy Auxiliary)

-

Something like that?

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Sep 26 2017 09:03

Battlereport:

I played a game but swapped out the shield drones for 12 technical drones as I thought they'd be more fun, if worse. Rolled for mission type and played Number 2 of the standard array, so just kill for victory points. He picked deployment type and I picked side (houseruled it before rolling as we thought it would be more fair that way). I picked side.

Deployed in one corner of the map in a building.
He Took:

HQ:
Celastine
Yarrick
2 x Company Compander
4 x Primaris Psycker
Master of Ordinance

Troops
4 x Infantry Squad with Grenade launcher and Rocket launcher

Heavy Support
3 x 3 Mortar Teams
2 x Hydra
2 x Basilisk
1 x Manticore

Turns

Turn 1 I destroyed the Manticore with the Nexus missiles and half healthed the basalisks. Also killed a few infantry. He moved the infantry with the psyckers up the board, keeping the rockets stationary. Lost 8 of the drones thanks to some lucky rolling on my part.

Turn 2 I finished off the basalisks and removed a hydra. Finished off the first infantry squad. Failed to wound celistina with the burst cannons. He finished killing the drones and did 2 wounds to the supremacy.

Turn 3 I shoot Celastina and drop her to 3 wounds. Remove the other hydra and remove all but the rockets of another infantry squad. He charges aun'va with celestina, who dies on the overwatch from the Supremacy Suit. Everything he has left shoots the suit and takes 16 wounds. Celastina is reborn next to me.

Turn 4: Drop Celastina, 2 of the psykers, an infantry squad, and 3 of the mortars. He takes another 3 wounds off the Stormsurge.

Turn 5: Kill the psykers, the last of the infantry and all but 3 of the mortars. With nothing left that could effectively wound the Supremacy he conceded.

Went quite well in honesty. Nexus meteor system was definitely a great idea. The ability to just remove a vehicle a turn was incredibly useful.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Sep 26 2017 06:44

Sounds like a fun game!

Emberkahn wrote:Went quite well in honesty. Nexus meteor system was definitely a great idea. The ability to just remove a vehicle a turn was incredibly useful.

Well, this isn't really true- you were lucky the enemy brought a stationary parking lot of long-ranged vehicles! ;)

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Sep 27 2017 12:40

Arka0415 wrote:Sounds like a fun game!

Emberkahn wrote:Went quite well in honesty. Nexus meteor system was definitely a great idea. The ability to just remove a vehicle a turn was incredibly useful.

Well, this isn't really true- you were lucky the enemy brought a stationary parking lot of long-ranged vehicles! ;)

In the context of fighting guard this was pretty much guaranteed. Regardless, it still ended up being a great idea.

Return to “Cadre Building”