500 Pt Patrol Detachment

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Nooch'un
Shas'Saal

500 Pt Patrol Detachment

Post#1 » Sep 25 2017 08:53

So this is my 500 point list so I can start playing, I'm a paint before play type guy but I'm getting excitied to play so I've worked my way to getting done

2 Commanders
10 Fire Warriors
10 Pathfinders
10 Drones (Interchangable)

I have until Sunday and plan on playing some 500 point games to get my feet wet again so to speak, so here's the list I've come up with. All ideas and critism appreciated, I have more Firewarriors/Breachers, Xv8s, Drones, HQ Choices and Xv25s I can assemble and paint by than if the list needs it.

As follows is a list I hope can deal with any randomness I have to take on, could be anything pretty wide variety at this store.

Patrol Detachment

- Headquarters -

Commander (176 pts)
- 4x Fusion Blaster
- 2x Shield Drone

Commander (164 pts)
- 4x CiB
- 2x Gun Drone

- Troop -

Strike Team (80 pts)
- 9x Warriors
- 1x Shas

- Fast Attack -

Pathfinder Team (84 pts)
- 7x Path
- 1x Shas
- 2x Rail Rifle

Patrol Detachment (504 pts)

Thank you for your time.
https://imgur.com/user/SpiltNooch
(Elsy'eir Sept Honour Division) [WIP]

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 500 Pt Patrol Detachment

Post#2 » Sep 25 2017 08:18

With the models you have, I'd say this is perfect. However, that Pathfinder team comes out to 102 points, so this list is actually 522 points I think. Rail Rifles might just be too expensive in a list like this. Let's reduce the Pathfinder squad size and give the CIB Commander some Shield Drones, and see how it looks:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Cyclic Ion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (164)
Troops - 10x Fire Warriors (80)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights (48)

That's 468 points, giving us 32 points to spend. We can add a small squad of Gun Drones, or we can increase the number of Pathfinders and give them three Ion Rifles. Here are two possible lists:

-

Troops - 10x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (83)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (76)

Total: 499 - Command Points: 3 (1 Patrol Detachment)

-

Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights (48)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)

Total: 500 - Command Points: 3 (1 Patrol Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Nooch'un
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 26 2017 07:58

Going with the gun Drones, thank you very much I was struggling with wanting those rails but I think that for 500 pts they aren't all that needed. Thank you for your post it's much appreciated!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Sep 26 2017 08:46

Nooch'un wrote:Going with the gun Drones, thank you very much I was struggling with wanting those rails but I think that for 500 pts they aren't all that needed. Thank you for your post it's much appreciated!

You're welcome! Rail Rifles are good guns though, you're correct on that!

We could go with a higher-risk strategy too- put Rail Rifles on the Pathfinders, and give them a pair of Shield Drones to keep those Rail Rifles alive. We'd need to sacrifice both the Commanders' Shield Drones and the small Gun Drone unit though.

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters (160)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Cyclic Ion Blasters (148)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Rail Rifles; 2x Shield Drones (105)

Total: 501 - Command Points: 3 (1 Patrol Detachment)

-

What do you think?
Last edited by Arka0415 on Sep 26 2017 06:32, edited 1 time in total.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Sep 26 2017 08:58

I actually think the lower the point level the better something like Rail Rifles become.
Just for the reason of it being more unlikely to nuke a whole unit with less points available and if you have the first turn the return fire being even more unlikely to kill your Rail Rifles as it would be in higher point level games. ^^

Nooch'un
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Sep 26 2017 02:12

I am thinking of doing that high risk strategy with the rail rifles due to that it makes things a little more spread out on the field rather than hoping the Commanders can just clear out most obsticales the rails may be just enough to pick off any problems to keep them going in the first place. My only other idea would be doing two squads of 5 breachers one to support the pathfinders from any strikes or flanking and the other to run in behind the CiB commander as support using terrain and his body to screen any fire until I can get to at least 10". Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

I'm mainly wanting to push breachers because I'm working towards a triple devilfish type agressive set up with homing beacons and suit drops for future higher point lists.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Sep 26 2017 06:31

Nooch'un wrote:I am thinking of doing that high risk strategy with the rail rifles due to that it makes things a little more spread out on the field rather than hoping the Commanders can just clear out most obsticales the rails may be just enough to pick off any problems to keep them going in the first place.

Sounds like a plan!

Nooch'un wrote:My only other idea would be doing two squads of 5 breachers one to support the pathfinders from any strikes or flanking and the other to run in behind the CiB commander as support using terrain and his body to screen any fire until I can get to at least 10". Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

Without mechanization Breachers really struggle to get in range- however, with transports, they're quite effective!

It just occurred to me though, the Shield Drones are a bad idea because your opponent will just elect not to shoot them, and you'll use Savior Protocols and take 5+ saves just like an ordinary Pathfinder. My mistake. Anyway, let's put the list back the way it was, this time with Rail Rifles:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 1x ATS; 2x Shield Drones (154)
Troops - 8x Fire Warriors (64)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 3x Markerlights, 3x Rail Rifles (105)

Total: 499 - Command Points: 3 (1 Patrol Detachment)

-

Here I went with 3xCIB+1xATS, it's a solid build for a Commander. Anyway, what do you think?

Nooch'un
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Sep 27 2017 07:52

I think I'm locking that one in, and I think ATT has some awesome members, thanks so much, the resources here are amazing and the community is well informed and well mannered.

For a 500 point list I'm hoping to be a bit competitive I'm in production line style painting up to 2000 points so more list questions to come, thanks again!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Sep 27 2017 09:19

Nooch'un wrote:I think I'm locking that one in, and I think ATT has some awesome members, thanks so much, the resources here are amazing and the community is well informed and well mannered.

For a 500 point list I'm hoping to be a bit competitive I'm in production line style painting up to 2000 points so more list questions to come, thanks again!

ATT at your service! When you're interested in making a 2000-point let us know, and for now good luck in the battles to come! Tau'va Shas'saal!

Return to “Cadre Building”