1000 first competetive roster.

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
demurr
Shas

1000 first competetive roster.

Post#1 » Oct 04 2017 11:01

So I made a roster aiming to do some tournaments with the local group. Do you guys think that his is good? The general idea is to move to blob of drones and strike teams so that they always stay within the auras and be generally unstoppable. The fusion commander is there to take out a heavy aromored enemy, the stealth team is there to infiltrate an objective and put some early hurting on the enemy, the missle commander is the one with drone controller buff.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [667pts] ++
+ HQ +
Commander [176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
Commander [153pts]: Drone controller, 3x Missile pod
+ Troops +
Strike Team [40pts]: 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle
+ Elites +
XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [114pts]
. 3x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Advanced targeting system: 3x Advanced targeting system, 3x Burst cannon
+ Fast Attack +
Pathfinder Team [60pts]: MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone
. 5x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight, Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle: Ion rifle
Pathfinder Team [44pts]
. 5x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight, Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle: Ion rifle

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [332pts] ++
+ HQ +
Cadre Fireblade [42pts]: Markerlight
Ethereal [50pts]: Honour blade, Hover Drone
+ Fast Attack +
Tactical Drones [80pts]: 10x MV1 Gun Drone

++ Total: [999pts] ++

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 1000 first competetive roster.

Post#2 » Oct 04 2017 07:13

Looks like a solid list- you're definitely starting in the right place! Gun Drones, Fireblades, Commanders, and Pathfinders are all great units. However, you might want to consider a few things- switch the Drone Controller-carrying responsibility to the Stealthsuits, give the 3xMP Commander a Missile Pod, break the Gun Drone groups down a bit (they do suffer from morale problems) which would save you the need to use an Ethereal, and consider not taking Fire Warriors since you have Gun Drones already. Also, putting Gun Drones in a Devilfish can be a good tactic- have you thought about doing that? Finally, a single Ion Rifle in each Pathfinder squad isn't going to do much- just concentrate on Markerlights. Anyway, here's those changes made:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS (156)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 1x Drone Controller (95)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders (40)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)

For a "foot"slogging Gun Drone list, that's 789 points. We can mechanize the list, improve the quality of the Pathfinders, add more Stealthsuits, or add XV8s. Here are some options:

-

Mechanized List:

Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 1x Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, 1x Drone Controller (106)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders (48)

Total: 1000 - Command Points: 5 (1 Supreme Command Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

In this list, each Devilfish contains a Fireblade, a 5x Gun Drone squad, and a 6x Gun Drone squad. The Stealthsuits infiltrate ahead and the Devilfish "catch up" with them for the Drones to use the Drone Controller.

-

Improved Pathfinder List:

Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 2x Drone Controllers (100)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights, 3x Rail Rifles (121)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights, 3x Rail Rifles (121)

Total: 999 - Command Points: 5 (2 Outrider Detachments)

In this list you only get one Fireblade, so make one large Drone ball like in your original list. The Stealthsuits carry two Drone Controllers for extra area coverage.

-

Stealth-Heavy List:

Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 1x Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, 1x Drone Controller, 1x Multi-Tracker (108)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 1x Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, 1x Drone Controller, 1x Multi-Tracker (108)

Total: 1000 - Command Points: 5 (2 Outrider Detachments)

With two Stealthsuit squads and two Fireblades, you can divide this army into two halves, each with a Fireblade, three Stealthsuits, and eighteen Drones. The Fusion Blaster-equipped Stealthsuit in each team carries the Multi-Tracker.

-

XV8 Interdiction List:

Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 1x Drone Controller; 5x Gun Drones, 1x Marker Drone (325)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones, 1x Marker Drone (50)

Total: 100 - Command Points: 5 (2 Outrider Detachments)

Here's an Ion-spam list that uses hidden Markerlights to keep the re-rolling ones buff alive for as long as possible, allowing the XV8s and Pathfinders to overcharge their weapons every turn.

-

Any of those look interesting?

demurr
Shas

Post#3 » Oct 05 2017 03:54

Arka0415 wrote:Any of those look interesting?

Oh, man, I did not expect such a great answer =) Thanks a lot! I'm gonna look closely into the options and most likely will go along with one of them. The fire warriors were primarily there for the command points, but I guess when everything is showered in drone fire, you don't really need those rerolls? =)

demurr
Shas

Post#4 » Oct 05 2017 04:27

I think I'll end up going with the stealth heavy list. Although the one thing I'm considering is whether you even need a missle commander if he's not on drone controller duty? I could get 20 points out of somewhere and turn him into a second fusion scalpel. Like minus 3 drones for a total of 33 that gets me the commander reequip and multitrackers on 2 burst canon stealthsuits.
Also. No pulse accelerator drone because it will likely get focused early on? I guess if I could free up 12 more points, I could add a recon drone as they form a team, but that\s just two wounds more for the PA which isn't much.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Oct 05 2017 07:44

demurr wrote:I think I'll end up going with the stealth heavy list. Although the one thing I'm considering is whether you even need a missle commander if he's not on drone controller duty? I could get 20 points out of somewhere and turn him into a second fusion scalpel. Like minus 3 drones for a total of 33 that gets me the commander reequip and multitrackers on 2 burst canon stealthsuits.
Also. No pulse accelerator drone because it will likely get focused early on? I guess if I could free up 12 more points, I could add a recon drone as they form a team, but that\s just two wounds more for the PA which isn't much.

I think two fusion commanders is great but I like commander heavy lists, like 3 or 4 minimum. Yes, the PA will get focused out early, might as well just take more actual drones somewhere that might get to see play.

demurr
Shas

Post#6 » Oct 05 2017 10:40

Wait, the PA only affects infantry so NVM.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Oct 05 2017 10:51

demurr wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Any of those look interesting?

Oh, man, I did not expect such a great answer =) Thanks a lot! I'm gonna look closely into the options and most likely will go along with one of them. The fire warriors were primarily there for the command points, but I guess when everything is showered in drone fire, you don't really need those rerolls? =)

Glad you liked it! Most importantly though, enjoy your games, learn from your mistakes, and keep a balance between what people tell you to play and what you want to play! :D Don't worry, at 1000 points 5 Command Points is great! Really the max you can hope for is 6, so 5 is plenty good since the list is better too!

demurr wrote:the one thing I'm considering is whether you even need a missle commander if he's not on drone controller duty? I could get 20 points out of somewhere and turn him into a second fusion scalpel.

The one thing this list lacks is long range- every gun is 18" with effective range at 9" or less. Having that long-range option will add flexibilty and versatility in a list that otherwise really likes to face-hug opponents.

demurr wrote:Also. No pulse accelerator drone because it will likely get focused early on? I guess if I could free up 12 more points, I could add a recon drone as they form a team, but that\s just two wounds more for the PA which isn't much.

The +6" range with the PA Drone is great, an amazing benefit for 8 points. But, it dies too easily. We'd like 3-4 extra wounds, which means taking a Recon Drone and 1-2 Shield Drones... now we're paying 36 points or more for that extra range, and we need to deploy the Pathfinders in such a way that their Drones can split off ans join the main Gun Drone group. Personally I think the tactic has too many drawbacks, but do feel free to try it out!

Yojimbob wrote:I think two fusion commanders is great but I like commander heavy lists, like 3 or 4 minimum.

As it stands now, two Commanders is plenty for a 1000-point list. For a 2000-point list, two Fusion Commanders and one Missile Commander is great, but at 1000 points one of each should work just fine. Especially when you have other Fusion Blasters on the field too.

demurr
Shas

Post#8 » Nov 18 2017 02:02

So I finally played my first game with this drone horde list against black templars. A friend of mine wanted to check out a rather gimmicky list so it went sorta well for me x) His roster was mostly anty-vehicle (2 laz-razorbacks, terminators, a couple of vanguard units and a couple of tactical marine units with las canons or whatever they are =D) and he did not quite understand the threat the drones carried until it was too late. So I had him on the ropes by turn 3 and likely would have tabled him completely in turn 4. But this being pretty much my first game of warhammer, I made a few deployment mistakes which cost me all ten of my pathfinders and a middle commander.

Gonna attend a tournament tomorrow with the same list, so wish me luck =)

Kerrygan
Shas

Post#9 » Nov 18 2017 02:36

demurr wrote:Gonna attend a tournament tomorrow with the same list, so wish me luck =)

I wish you luck.
And may the odds be ever in your favor.

demurr
Shas

Post#10 » Nov 21 2017 02:33

Well it did not go so well, but not too bad for the first time i guess.
Here's my tray full of saucers x)

We played three rounds. My first opponent was a dark angels player with Azrail and quite a few footsloging marines. They stayed in the deployment which i reached within two turns and tabled him. 19-1
Second game was against an imperial fists player with a land raider, terminator, those jumppack primaris and some other marines in the backline. This was a kill point game which I did not quite realize and was disadvatage dew to having lots of units anyway. And I also got really distracted by his landreaider and then failed to destroy it as well. 4-16
The last game was against a grey knight player. This time my crucial mistake was forgetting that his army is deep strike heavy and not deploying accordingly. So I had a pack of paladins with a captain and a banner guy up on one of my fireblades turn one. That went as well as you can imagine x) 3-17

In the end I did enjoy the list anyway and I can safely say that it's quite competitive.

Return to “Cadre Building”