2000 Pts. All Comers/Tournament List

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
manbearfrink
Shas

Post#1 » Oct 06 2017 11:43

by manbearfrink

Used this list this week for ITC-based league night and am planning to run something similar for an upcoming tournament. Stormsurge anchors backfield with devilfish/drones as objective grabbers as well as stealth and commanders.

Sa'cea Sept T'au Army (110 PL, 1998 pts)

Battalion Detachment (3cp, 67 PL, 1032 pts.)

HQ - Cadre Fireblade: (2 PL, 42 pts)
Pulse Rifle, Photon Grenades, Markerlight

HQ - Longstrike: (11 PL, 215 pts)
2x SMS, Railgun

TROOPS - Fire Warrior Strike Team: (5 PL, 48 pts)
Shas'ui - Pulse Rifle, Photon Grenades
5x Shas'la - Pulse Rifle, Photon Grenades

ELITES - XV25 Stealth Battlesuits: (6 PL, 117 pts)
Shas'Vre - Fusion Blaster, Drone Controller, Markerlight + TL
Shas'Ui - Burst Cannon, Velocity Tracker
Shas'Ui - Burst Cannon

FAST ATTACK - Pathfinder Team: (8 PL, 64 pts)
Shas'Ui - Pulse Carbine, Photon Grenades, Markerlight
5x Shas'La - Pulse Carbine, Photon Grenades, Markerlight
Pulse Accelerator Drone
Shield Drone

FAST ATTACK - Tactical Drones: (6 PL, 88 pts)
11x Gun Drone

FAST ATTACK - Tactical Drones: (2 PL, 40 pts)
4x Marker Drone

HEAVY SUPPORT - Hammerhead Gunship: (10 PL, 195 pts)
2x SMS, Railgun

DEDICATED TRANSPORT - Devilfish: (7 PL, 127 pts)
2x Gun Drone, Burst Cannon

Supreme Command Detachment (1 CP, 43 PL, 966 pts.)

HQ - Commander: (7 PL, 176 pts)
4x Fusion Blaster
2x Gun Drone

4x Fusion Blaster
2x Gun Drone

4x Fusion Blaster
2x Gun Drone

LORD OF WAR - Stormsurge: (22 PL, 438 pts.)
2x Flamer, Cluster Rocket System, 4x Destroyer Missile, Pulse Blastcannon, 2x SMS, Shield Generator, EWO, ATS

Total: 1998 pts.

Notes :
FW teams deploy close enough to Pathfinders to get the PAC drone and boost their range.
Commanders all start in reserve (duh) and can be used to counter tanks, TEQ, or counter-deepstrike.
Stealthsuits babysit Marker drones unless they're needed.
Gun Drone blob and Fireblade ride in the devilfish (-2 drops) and can pop out for 66 shots probably re-rolling 1's with Fireblade's markerlight.
Longstrike, hammerhead, and SS handle any big stuff or help with hordes (submunitions as best as can be).

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: 2000 Pts. All Comers/Tournament List

Post#2 » Oct 06 2017 11:53

Looks pretty much min-maxed for an allcomers list without resorting to spamming just two types units.

One thing I'd change though would be the Drone Controller on the Stealth Suits. Since you have a Shas'Ui without support system, give him the DC. Ideally you want the Drones to die before your Suits.
The single VT on a BC Stealth Suit is kinda weird as well, I'd scrap that and see if there afe enough points for a second Shield Drone in your Pathfinder unit.

I also prefer Shield Drones for Commander, however that's mostly personal preference I guess.

Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Oct 06 2017 12:14

How do the fusion commanders work without a homing beacon? Aren't they going to be in reserve, will deep strike out of range when they come in, and then you will have to chase your target in order to get your melta shots?

Overall a similar list to what I have liked to run but I sub the hammerheads for a Yvhara. The Stormsurge hasnt been a clear winner for me yet although he has yet to go down in a game for me. I think I need to anchor him more to improve that pathetic ballistic skill

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 06 2017 12:49

Bolter&Rail wrote:How do the fusion commanders work without a homing beacon? Aren't they going to be in reserve, will deep strike out of range when they come in, and then you will have to chase your target in order to get your melta shots?

A Homing Beacon is no requirement for the QFB Commander. Sure it helps but the Commander is still a beast even out of half-range.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Oct 06 2017 01:42

I'm so very confused by the stealth team 'vre who has a markerlight AND a fusion blaster. Which is he, backfield support or frontline tank hunter? You have a DC on him so I assume he's support so why on earth did you fit him with a gun he'll use once a game if that?

Take more drones with the PA drone if you actually want to see it get use, otherwise drop it completely.

Switch your gun drones to shield drones on your QFC's. Drop two together and then you'll force your opponent to get through 4 shield drones before they can even touch one commander.

manbearfrink
Shas

Post#6 » Oct 06 2017 02:56

Good comments on the Shield Drones for the commanders, but I have yet to have any take more than the single wound anyway (maybe just bad rolling), the FNP just isn't worth it in my mind compared to more dakka.

The VT on the stealth suit was just a "I've got a few points, but not enough for a drone" and the FB is just due to modelling (it was done before I magnetized all my new stuff). I could swap in an old XV15 instead since I have a ton of them. I'll have to play around with that squad. Maybe drop a few FW's and the VT and take another drone or two?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Oct 06 2017 03:23

Didn't think about the modelling portion. Thanks for the clarification BUT I would say drop the markerlight as you are paying for the target lock as well as the light. Just put that 9 points into lights for the strike teams and consider it a bargain. Put the VT on the fusion one if you do end up keeping the gear due to an odd amount of points left and put the DC on something else. I know it doesn't leave you with the option to keep the fusion AND the DC on one model in case stuff starts dying but I think it gives you better versatility if you need to drop a flyer.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Oct 06 2017 03:55

Well if stuff starts dieing, Drones should die before Stealth Suits so the Drone Controller would eventually be useless anyway. Better put it on a Stealth Suit you don't plan to let die last. ;)
And yeah removing the Markerlight from the Stealth Suit is certainly an option. If you want to keep the amount of Markerlights you could take another Pathfinder for those points.
However I understand the appeal of a Stealth Suit Markerlight source with Marker Drones and I would consider it viable if Stealth Suits would share their Stealth ability with their own Drones (eg only the two you can buy with them) but unfortunately they don't and so the Drones would be a very easy to remove and expensive Markerlight source and leave your Stealth Suits with a useless DC and a single Markerlight on BS4+. :sad:

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Oct 07 2017 03:01

Looks like a solid list! However, if we're bringing this to a tournament, there are a few quick fixes we can make. I'll go from the bottom up. First, if you're taking EWO on a Stormsurge, use Burst Cannons not flamers. Next, give your 4x Fusion Blaster Commanders some Shield Drones instead of Gun Drones, since there's great synergy with the Character rule; though, if you personally prefer Gun Drones, we can go that route too. Third, if you're going for a Longstrike/Hammerhead combo, definitely use Seeker Missiles- 2+ for a Mortal Wound is great. Fourth, split up your Drone squads to minimize morale losses, and we can probably optimize the squads too. Fifth, skip the Pulse Accelerator Drone, since you aren't making a synergy-buffed gunline anyway. Lastly, as everyone else has mentioned, we can clean up the wargear on the Stealthsuits a bit (take XV15s, they look great). With all of these points savings, we can add a second whole Pathfinder squad, since your army desperately needs Markerlights- the Stormsurge, Longstrike, Hammerhead, Commanders, and Gun Drones rely on Markerlights quite a bit.

Here's the list with those changes made:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Gun Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (225)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors (40)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 1x Drone Controller (95)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 8x Markerlights (64)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 8x Markerlights (64)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)
Heavy Support - Hammerhead Gunship w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (205)
Lord of War - Stormsurge w/ Pulse Blastcannon, 2x Burst Cannons, Shield Generator, ATS, EWO (440)

Total: 1998 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment, 1 Super Heavy Auxiliary)

-

Amusingly, it comes out to the exact same number of points. What do you think?
Last edited by Arka0415 on Oct 12 2017 07:29, edited 2 times in total.

manbearfrink
Shas

Post#10 » Oct 09 2017 03:18

Oh man, lots of good advice guys!

I just played this list again yesterday versus Space Marines (Salamanders) and it did very well. We did ITC killpoints mission and my opponent ceded in turn 4. I dropped the FB and VT off the stealth suit, dropped the PAC/shield drone unit, and took 3 more marker drones instead. While he wiped the drones, I still had the pathfinders which worked well.

Arka, I like the idea of splitting the gun drone squad for morale, didn't think of that! And shifting marker drones into pathfinders is a great idea too. I've got a box of them coming tomorrow so it won't be a problem to model them all up!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Oct 10 2017 07:48

manbearfrink wrote:Arka, I like the idea of splitting the gun drone squad for morale, didn't think of that! And shifting marker drones into pathfinders is a great idea too. I've got a box of them coming tomorrow so it won't be a problem to model them all up!

Sounds good! If you feel the need to move your Pathfinders all the time (forcing them to fire Markerlights at BS5+) then Marker Drones would have been a better pick, but otherwise the accuracy and efficiency of Pathfinders makes them seem like the best bet for now.

Let us know how future games go! Tau'va!

manbearfrink
Shas

Post#12 » Oct 12 2017 06:30

Played the new list last night, but took Marker Drones instead of Pathfinders due to lack of models (got a new box this week though, so not for long!). Opponent played Dark Angels Ravenwing with -1's to hit from an aura on the speeder. He closed and got tabled in round 5, so I think the list works pretty well!

QFC's dropped and blew up his Stormtalon on turn 1, and he was not happy. Was also not happy when 2 drones tanked hits for the Fireblade from Samael. Overall I consider it a success.

One update, the detachments changed with the extra FA slot, now it's Battalion and Outrider.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Oct 12 2017 07:29

manbearfrink wrote:Played the new list last night, but took Marker Drones instead of Pathfinders due to lack of models (got a new box this week though, so not for long!). Opponent played Dark Angels Ravenwing with -1's to hit from an aura on the speeder. He closed and got tabled in round 5, so I think the list works pretty well!

QFC's dropped and blew up his Stormtalon on turn 1, and he was not happy. Was also not happy when 2 drones tanked hits for the Fireblade from Samael. Overall I consider it a success.

Sounds like a great game! Any army with that -1 to hit (Dark Angels, Raven Guard, Alpha Legion) is really going to mess us up- great going on the win!!

manbearfrink wrote:One update, the detachments changed with the extra FA slot, now it's Battalion and Outrider.

Oops, missed that. Fixed! I guess it's actually Battalion, Outrider, and Super Heavy Auxiliary though.

Return to “Cadre Building”