2000 pts Frontal Assault

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
KinGensai
Shas

2000 pts Frontal Assault

Post#1 » Oct 19 2017 07:20

Vanguard Detachment
HQ
Commander: 3x CIB, ATS
1 Gun Drone
Elites
Stealth Team: 6 suits, 2 Fblasters, Shas'vre ML & TL
Fast Attack
Y'vahra (ATS, Stims)
Y'vahra (ATS, Stims)

Outrider Detachment
HQ
1 Gun Drone
1 Gun Drone
Fast Attack
8x Shield Drones
8x Shield Drones

I'm open to ideas, this is not my first game of 40k, but it is my first real list with Tau.

My meta has a very heavy representation of IG and Chaos with a smattering of marines, so I'm looking for versatile loadouts with a bias toward engaging heavy targets.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 2000 pts Frontal Assault

Post#2 » Oct 19 2017 07:35

I like this. Total, in-your-face Stealthsuit/Y'vahra pain.

However, I think there is one issue: this list is 2147 points, so you're way over the limit. Did you add one too many Commanders?

From a tactical standpoint, the Commanders should gets pairs of Drones, preferably Shield Drones, so you might want to open up a few points for those. Maybe reduce the Shield Drone groups to 2x6 and use the extra points to give your Commanders some Shield Drones?
Last edited by Arka0415 on Oct 20 2017 06:39, edited 1 time in total.

KinGensai
Shas

Post#3 » Oct 19 2017 10:14

Vanguard Detachment Total 1999
HQ
Commander (3 Cyclic Ion Blaster, ATS)
2 Shield Drones
Elites
XV25 Stealth Battlesuits (2 FBlasters), Shas'vre ML & TL
Fast Attack
XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit (ATS, Stims)

Outrider Detachment
HQ
2 Shield Drones
2 Shield Drones
Fast Attack
Shield Drones x5
Shield Drones x6

Double checked my math. I did make a few errors, but nothing as way off as 147 points over :O

((138+16)*3)+(211*3)+(816)+88=1999

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Oct 20 2017 06:38

KinGensai wrote:Double checked my math. I did make a few errors, but nothing as way off as 147 points over

Sorry about that! I wrote that post too quickly. I accidentally added the points for Homing Beacons into your list when I tallied it up. Oops!

Anyway, the new list looks good! I also forgot another thing though- the Y'vahras need to switch their Stims with Target Locks instead, otherwise you won't be able to fire your Ion Discharge Cannon properly!

Also, when you do your Detachments, remember that there's one Y'vahra in each detachment since the Outrider Detachment needs three Fast Attack units. That's only a formatting issue though.

KinGensai
Shas

Post#5 » Oct 20 2017 12:41

Vanguard Detachment Total 1999
HQ
2 Shield Drones
Elites
Fast Attack

Outrider Detachment
HQ
2 Shield Drones
2 Shield Drones
Fast Attack
Shield Drones x5
Shield Drones x6

Couldn't I call Mont'ka when I fire the IDC? I'm only expecting the Y'vahras to survive for 1 or 2 turns after they engage, so I shouldn't need more than that to get max performance out of them.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Oct 20 2017 07:59

KinGensai wrote:Couldn't I call Mont'ka when I fire the IDC? I'm only expecting the Y'vahras to survive for 1 or 2 turns after they engage, so I shouldn't need more than that to get max performance out of them.

Not really, sadly. The Commanders aren't as fast as the Y'vahras, and you can't use Mont'ka after using Manta Strike. So it would be difficult to use. I'd just use Target Locks, they're a great upgrade for the Y'vahra!

With all of this in mind, I had an interesting idea. What if you split the Stealthsuit squads, and gave every squad a pair of Shield Drones? That way, you could have a large number of pairs of Shield Drones forward-deployed via infiltrate that the Y'vahras could jump forward and use. Then, ultimately, you might want to get rid of the Shas'vre Markerlights. At 9 points for the wargear suite, you also can't fire your Burst Cannon... giving you ultimately a 19-point Markerlight. These points could probably be better spent elsewhere. Let me know what you think.

Here's a change you might find interesting.

-

HQ - Commander w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters, ATS; 2x Shield Drones (154)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 1x Fusion Blaster & Multi-Tracker, 2x Burst Cannons; 2x Shield Drones (119)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 1x Fusion Blaster & Multi-Tracker, 2x Burst Cannons; 2x Shield Drones (119)
Fast Attack - 4x Shield Drones, 2x Marker Drones (52)
Fast Attack - 4x Shield Drones, 2x Marker Drones (52)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ ATS, Target Lock (415)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ ATS, Target Lock (415)

Total: 1991 - Command Points: 5 (1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

So, what's the deal with this? We have 15 forward-deploying Stealthsuits, and they're carrying their own Shield Drones. Deploy the Stealthsuits across the table via infiltrate, wherever you would normally. Deploy the Y'vahras in the back, each behind their own Shield/Marker Drone screen. These screening units will help in the event that you don't get first turn.

When you move the Y'vahras up, you'll have eight 2x Shield Drone squads flying around the table, ready to guard whatever's necessary- Y'vahras, Commanders, Stealthsuits, etc. The now-useless screening units can hold objectives and use their Markerlights.

Now, about Markerlights- your Commanders are going want 1 Markerlight hit on their intended targets, to mitigate self-damage from their CIBs. We can get those Markerlight hits from the Shield/Marker Drone screening units in the back. It's important that the Stealthsuits' Fusion Blasters hit though, so we've given them each a Multi-Tracker to help with that. Commanders use Markerlights, Stealthsuits use Multi-Trackers.

There's 9 points left, so a little room to grow if you want to add something extra- your call!

Anyway, what do you think?

KinGensai
Shas

Post#7 » Oct 20 2017 11:32

I like that idea, I'll give it a shot.

Return to “Cadre Building”