K'Pokk army

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: K'Pokk army

Post#19 » Oct 31 2017 07:31

K'Pokk wrote:As to the Broadside, at 230pts it is way overpriced but with so many short-range weapons in the army I wanted a long range hitter. It hasn't really paid it's way so far! :sad:

If the Broadside comes down in points a bit, it'll be a great unit. I'd bet the Broadside will be one of the rising stars of our new Codex.

K'Pokk wrote:No, you are not sounding negative. You are right about the XV81 in the new FW book, I need to re-examine my commander. I bought the model ages ago when I think 5th edition came out. Cover saves were 4+ and made much more difference to the survivability of units than the meagre armour +1 it now gives, and having something that could ignore cover and even shoot around corners at unseen targets was excellent.

The rules have moved on and left me with a less effective commander. :roll: So he is now a drone controller now that drones are now so much more worthwhile than in 7th. I'll have to give the cyclic ion blaster a whirl

Now, here's the easy fix. Say the XV81 is a regular Commander, and say those missile racks on his back are Missile Pods. Could anyone tell the difference? In fact, they look more like Missile Pods than they look like SMS! Now you have a 2xMP Commander, just give him another Missile Pod and a Drone Controller and you'll have a Drone-buffing Commander who's practically untouchable and who can strike almost anywhere from within the comfort of his buffed-up Drone bubble!

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Oct 31 2017 07:56

I personally just use normal crisis suits as commanders, and model them so they all look individual and unique. That and I mostly play on TTS

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Oct 31 2017 10:39

Arka0415 wrote:
K'Pokk wrote:As to the Broadside, at 230pts it is way overpriced but with so many short-range weapons in the army I wanted a long range hitter. It hasn't really paid it's way so far! :sad:

If the Broadside comes down in points a bit, it'll be a great unit. I'd bet the Broadside will be one of the rising stars of our new Codex.

K'Pokk wrote:No, you are not sounding negative. You are right about the XV81 in the new FW book, I need to re-examine my commander. I bought the model ages ago when I think 5th edition came out. Cover saves were 4+ and made much more difference to the survivability of units than the meagre armour +1 it now gives, and having something that could ignore cover and even shoot around corners at unseen targets was excellent.

The rules have moved on and left me with a less effective commander. :roll: So he is now a drone controller now that drones are now so much more worthwhile than in 7th. I'll have to give the cyclic ion blaster a whirl

Now, here's the easy fix. Say the XV81 is a regular Commander, and say those missile racks on his back are Missile Pods. Could anyone tell the difference? In fact, they look more like Missile Pods than they look like SMS! Now you have a 2xMP Commander, just give him another Missile Pod and a Drone Controller and you'll have a Drone-buffing Commander who's practically untouchable and who can strike almost anywhere from within the comfort of his buffed-up Drone bubble!

Whoah! Do I like *that* idea :evil:

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » Nov 01 2017 06:52

How do the XV9 pulse submunitions fare this edition? I've taken a look at the rules and with an ATS they could be nasty.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#23 » Nov 01 2017 07:15

SniperTau wrote:How do the XV9 pulse submunitions fare this edition? I've taken a look at the rules and with an ATS they could be nasty.

It's like having two -2S Ion Rifles stapled together with no overcharge damage. Cool weapon, mainly good for killing T3 or T5 units with poor saves at long range, but when two PSRs can only kill 2-3 Guardsmen per turn, they feel a little weak.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Nov 02 2017 04:13

Arka0415 wrote:
SniperTau wrote:How do the XV9 pulse submunitions fare this edition? I've taken a look at the rules and with an ATS they could be nasty.

It's like having two -2S Ion Rifles stapled together with no overcharge damage. Cool weapon, mainly good for killing T3 or T5 units with poor saves at long range, but when two PSRs can only kill 2-3 Guardsmen per turn, they feel a little weak.

The biggest problem with XV9 weapons is the DBBC is so good that when it fires double the amount of shots on average vs PSR the extra point of strength is rather irrelevant 16 shots hitting on 4+ wounding on 3+ is 5 wounds vs 8 shots hitting on 4+ wounding on 2+ is only 3 wounds.

Also vs T4 they are exactly the same which is even worse for the PSR, is it worth it for the extra range? In a big game maybe, in a <2500pts game your opponent will close in soon enough then you will wish you had those extra shots imo

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Nov 02 2017 12:23

Nymphomanius wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

The biggest problem with XV9 weapons is the DBBC is so good that when it fires double the amount of shots on average vs PSR the extra point of strength is rather irrelevant 16 shots hitting on 4+ wounding on 3+ is 5 wounds vs 8 shots hitting on 4+ wounding on 2+ is only 3 wounds.

Also vs T4 they are exactly the same which is even worse for the PSR, is it worth it for the extra range? In a big game maybe, in a <2500pts game your opponent will close in soon enough then you will wish you had those extra shots imo

Please excuse my ignorance - what is DBBC ?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#26 » Nov 02 2017 12:29

K'Pokk wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:It's like having two -2S Ion Rifles stapled together with no overcharge damage. Cool weapon, mainly good for killing T3 or T5 units with poor saves at long range, but when two PSRs can only kill 2-3 Guardsmen per turn, they feel a little weak.

Please excuse my ignorance - what is DBBC ?

Double Barreled Burst Cannon, weapon on the FW crisis suit.

Return to “Cadre Building”