Returning player 2000 point semi competitive

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Kaevil
Shas

Returning player 2000 point semi competitive

Post#1 » Oct 31 2017 07:36

Hello everyone!
First time posting on this forum, I use to play 40k from about 2nd ed to 5th and dropped the game due to RL stuff. Anyway, long story short I have decided to dive back in and I have always loved the look of Tau (I’m a big mecha fan and battlesuits just look amazing).

So here Is what I am thinking of building (sorry about the formatting, it didn't copy well from word):

Unbound Army (Faction) (T'au Empire) [100 PL, 1996pts]
•HQ
o Commander 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone [7 PL, 176pts]
o Commander 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone [7 PL, 176pts]
o Commander Advanced targeting system, 3x Cyclic ion blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone [7 PL, 154pts]
o Commander Advanced targeting system, 3x Cyclic ion blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone [7 PL, 154pts]
o Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit Advanced targeting system, High-output burst cannon, Missile pod, 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Shield generator [8 PL, 166pts]

•Elites
o DX-4 Technical Drones 2x DX-4 Technical Drone [2 PL, 32pts]
o XV9 Hazard Support Team 4x MV1 Gun Drone [9 PL, 130pts]
XV9 Hazard Battlesuit 2x Double-barelled burst cannon, Drone controller
o XV9 Hazard Support Team 4x MV1 Gun Drone [9 PL, 130pts]
XV9 Hazard Battlesuit 2x Double-barelled burst cannon, Drone controller

•Fast Attack
o Tactical Drones 6x MV1 Gun Drone [4 PL, 48pts]
o XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit Advanced targeting system, Target lock [20 PL, 415pts]
o XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit Advanced targeting system, Target lock [20 PL, 415pts]

I wanted something suit heavy without just spamming commanders. I chose to run Y’vahra and Xv9s along with commanders, the idea was to take 1 supreme command, 1 outrider and 1 vanguard detachment.
i would keep the commanders in reserve and deploy the rest, using the drones to soak up excess wounds while the XV9s and Y'vahra get to work.

Not sure if this list will hold up or if it covers most of my bases, the group I normally play with are semi competitive.
Looking forward to some advice!

Thank you guys!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Returning player 2000 point semi competitive

Post#2 » Oct 31 2017 07:53

This looks seriously strong. You could field this against most lists and, with suitably aggressive tactics, do very well.

However, the thing I'd change would be the drones. Commanders, and all characters really, have great synergy with Shield Drones. Get Shield Drones on your normal Commanders (same points as Gun Drones) and drop the Gun Drones from the Coldstar- they won't be able to keep up with his hyper-fast movement. I'd also consider dropping the Technical Drones- they're cool, but with so many characters on the field they'll be an obvious target for long-range anti-infantry weapons.

Finally, I'd switch the XV9s to have ATS (it'll give you more damage than buffing four Gun Drones, since the Drones have diminishing returns).

Final changes:

- 2 Drone Controllers (-10)
- 2 Technical Drones (-32)
- 2 Gun Drones (-16)
= Replace all Gun Drones on Commanders with Shield Drones (0)
+ 2 ATS (+16)
+ 6 Gun Drones (Fast Attack choice) (+48)

Total: 2002

Kaevil
Shas

Post#3 » Oct 31 2017 06:59

oh thank you very much for the advice!

i went ahead and made the changes, one question, considering i would add another 6 gun drones that would give me 20 gun drones that start on the field, would it be worth giving at least one of XV9s drone controller or better to just go with ats all the way since really the drones are there to soak up wounds for the y'vahras and XV9s.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Oct 31 2017 08:20

Kaevil wrote:oh thank you very much for the advice!

i went ahead and made the changes, one question, considering i would add another 6 gun drones that would give me 20 gun drones that start on the field, would it be worth giving at least one of XV9s drone controller or better to just go with ats all the way since really the drones are there to soak up wounds for the y'vahras and XV9s.

You're welcome! The reason I'm thinking about avoiding Drone Controllers is because you Drones will never be in one place. The Tactical Drone teams of Gun Drones will probably buzz around helping (i.e. dying for) your Y'vahras, while the Gun Drones that come down with the XV9s will offer a nice bit of alpha strike damage before becoming being inevitably killed.

If you were playing a drone swarm list (big groups of drones that stick together) a Drone Controller would be useful, but I think in this list the Gun Drones will spread out.

Just my two cents though.

Kaevil
Shas

Post#5 » Nov 01 2017 01:52

ahh yeah, that makes sense!

Thank you again!

Return to “Cadre Building”