The Millennia Mirrors (Competitive 1.5k)

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

The Millennia Mirrors (Competitive 1.5k)

Post#1 » Nov 01 2017 05:13

With the recent guard codex having dropped recently, my regular opponents have moved to pretty much pure Leman Russ lists, with some psykers and Celestine thrown in now and then. This was my attempt to create a fluffy list that was nonetheless crunchy. I thought I would share it. NB we play 1500-1550 b/c there is always some random upgrade someone wants.

The List and Crunch
(T'au Empire) [68 PL, 1542pts] ++

(These are arranged into 2 vanguard detachments and 2 Supreme Command detachments but are presented below for clarity)

+ HQ +

Shas'o R'alai (Warlord) [10 PL, 155pts]: Drone controller
. 2x Blacklight Marker Drone: 2x Markerlight

Commander [7 PL, 176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

Commander [7 PL, 180pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV7 Marker Drone

+ Elites +

Kroot Shaper [2 PL, 31pts]: Pulse carbine

+ Fast Attack +

Kroot Hounds [1 PL, 16pts]: 4x Kroot Hound

++ Total: [68 PL, 1542pts] ++

The Tactics
R'alai and the commanders:

Nothing special here. Fusion commanders are well documented as one of our best units, especially vs Leman Russ's. R'alai is the drone controller platform, but also acts as a wounds buffer. The idea is to drop directly in front of the car park, with the drones and R'alai at the front to act as a buffer. From there I hope to get 2 full rounds of shooting into the car park. This is on top of the fact that Hazard suits are my favourite unit Tau has to offer, and so R'alai holds a special place in my heart, despite the fact that his extra toughness probably doesn't compensate for his worse shooting. The markerdrones are to guarantee hits from the fusion blasters. Gun drones are to kill the psykers and techpriests. Both exist to ablative wound things.

The Shaper and the dogs:
These serve three purposes. The first is to increase unit count so that I can deepstrike all the commanders, keeping them safe. Using LoS blocking terrain I am fairly confident that they will survive the Turn 1 barrage. Ideally they deploy directly opposite the carpark. In my turns, they run as fast as they can, and hopefully get in front of the commanders by the end of turn 2, thus hopefully body blocking and giving the commanders a 3rd turn of unmolested shooting. Further, they have utility for charging individual characters (like psykers) which otherwise I find tend to slip through the cracks. Lastly, if for some reasons tanks survive, they can charge the tanks (only 1 has to survive overwatch) and tie them up in combat, denying shooting. But this is more a desperation ploy.

The Fluff
As you can see, the army is mirrored into two blocks. Seven commanders and R'alai, seven packs of dogs and a Shaper. I like it because you have two radically different levels of technology working in harmony with each other. The commanders are some of the best leaders and fighters in the galaxy piloting the most advanced technology that exists dropping out of high altitude spacecraft to rain death and fire. The shaper and dogs are primitive, with no weapons, other than the pulse carbine gifted by the Tau, sprinting across open ground to engage in barbaric and vicious hand to hand combat. R'alai leading and supporting the commanders. The shaper doing the same with the dogs. Each is a mirror of each other, a millennia apart, working in strategic harmony with each other. It is a pretty unexciting list, but there is something very poetic about that.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: The Millennia Mirrors (Competitive 1.5k)

Post#2 » Nov 01 2017 08:52

Emberkahn wrote:With the recent guard codex having dropped recently, my regular opponents have moved to pretty much pure Leman Russ lists, with some psykers and Celestine thrown in now and then. This was my attempt to create a fluffy list that was nonetheless crunchy. I thought I would share it. NB we play 1500-1550 b/c there is always some random upgrade someone wants.

The List and Crunch
(T'au Empire) [68 PL, 1542pts] ++

(These are arranged into 2 vanguard detachments and 2 Supreme Command detachments but are presented below for clarity)

+ HQ +

Shas'o R'alai (Warlord) [10 PL, 155pts]: Drone controller
. 2x Blacklight Marker Drone: 2x Markerlight

+ Elites +

Kroot Shaper [2 PL, 31pts]: Pulse carbine

+ Fast Attack +

++ Total: [68 PL, 1542pts] ++

The Tactics
R'alai and the commanders:

Nothing special here. Fusion commanders are well documented as one of our best units, especially vs Leman Russ's. R'alai is the drone controller platform, but also acts as a wounds buffer. The idea is to drop directly in front of the car park, with the drones and R'alai at the front to act as a buffer. From there I hope to get 2 full rounds of shooting into the car park. This is on top of the fact that Hazard suits are my favourite unit Tau has to offer, and so R'alai holds a special place in my heart, despite the fact that his extra toughness probably doesn't compensate for his worse shooting. The markerdrones are to guarantee hits from the fusion blasters. Gun drones are to kill the psykers and techpriests. Both exist to ablative wound things.

The Shaper and the dogs:
These serve three purposes. The first is to increase unit count so that I can deepstrike all the commanders, keeping them safe. Using LoS blocking terrain I am fairly confident that they will survive the Turn 1 barrage. Ideally they deploy directly opposite the carpark. In my turns, they run as fast as they can, and hopefully get in front of the commanders by the end of turn 2, thus hopefully body blocking and giving the commanders a 3rd turn of unmolested shooting. Further, they have utility for charging individual characters (like psykers) which otherwise I find tend to slip through the cracks. Lastly, if for some reasons tanks survive, they can charge the tanks (only 1 has to survive overwatch) and tie them up in combat, denying shooting. But this is more a desperation ploy.

The Fluff
As you can see, the army is mirrored into two blocks. Seven commanders and R'alai, seven packs of dogs and a Shaper. I like it because you have two radically different levels of technology working in harmony with each other. The commanders are some of the best leaders and fighters in the galaxy piloting the most advanced technology that exists dropping out of high altitude spacecraft to rain death and fire. The shaper and dogs are primitive, with no weapons, other than the pulse carbine gifted by the Tau, sprinting across open ground to engage in barbaric and vicious hand to hand combat. R'alai leading and supporting the commanders. The shaper doing the same with the dogs. Each is a mirror of each other, a millennia apart, working in strategic harmony with each other. It is a pretty unexciting list, but there is something very poetic about that.

CIB commander is better for take all comers than Fusion commander. Plus it's cheaper. Though I do suggest having 2 QFC's in pretty much every list but if you're running commander spam, run with CIB's.

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 01 2017 08:56

Yojimbob wrote: CIB commander is better for take all comers than Fusion commander. Plus it's cheaper. Though I do suggest having 2 QFC's in pretty much every list but if you're running commander spam, run with CIB's.

I agree! For all comers that's definitely the way to go! This list is specifically for dealing with massed tanks in car parks, in which case there is no reason not to go massed FC. But for adapting this list to be more dynamic that's a good idea

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 02 2017 03:08

If you know you're facing only tanks, this looks like a very strong list. I'd swap out the gun drones for shield drones though.

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 02 2017 04:08

Watcher on the wall wrote:If you know you're facing only tanks, this looks like a very strong list. I'd swap out the gun drones for shield drones though.

I agree that shield drones are better, but my opponents often bring a couple of miscellaneous psykers (partly to get more HQs for more spearhead detachments and to screen) which the thrones have some utility against.

Return to “Cadre Building”