First 1000 Tau Cadre Help Needed (No Experience at 1k)

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Surviving-Blade
Shas

First 1000 Tau Cadre Help Needed (No Experience at 1k)

Post#1 » Nov 01 2017 08:24

Hello I played a few games at 500pts and the feeling was very nice. So I came up with the Idea of going crazy with 1k pts. But I have no Idea what to play or how to play the any List... I am a strategic toast.

My suggestion is a prototype List with a Fire Core of Fire Warriors with Markerlights, a Cadre Fireblade and an Ethereal to support them. The Aggressive part should be an Stealth Cadre. I wish to field a Ghostkeel with some Stealth suits to Protect him and a QFC to help against bigger threats... In my last game I didn't even killed a Devilfish with my QFC in my Training Match.

So here is the list I came up with to fit my wishes:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [19 PL, 240pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Ethereal [2 PL, 45pts]: Honour blade

+ Troops +

Strike Team [5 PL, 51pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [36 PL, 771pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [6 PL, 160pts]: 4x Fusion blaster

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [6 PL, 125pts]: Homing beacon
. 3x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Counterfire defence system: 3x Burst cannon, 3x Counterfire defence system

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 255pts]: 6x MV1 Gun Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Flamer
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Flamer
. Crisis Shas'vre: 3x Flamer

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [10 PL, 231pts]: 2x Fusion blaster, Cyclic ion raker, Early warning override, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Shield generator

++ Total: [55 PL, 1011pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I guess that were is a lot of what you improof so feel free to optimise this List.

A have a Lot of minis I can field beside Aircraft and Tanks also no Forgeworld. But I would be Fine if one or two Models of the List before would be included.

Thank's for any Help.

Spelling and Grammar Mistakes for Fun purpose only.
Spelling and Grammar Mistakes for Fun Purpose ONLY. :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: First 1000 Tau Cadre Help Needed (No Experience at 1k)

Post#2 » Nov 01 2017 10:34

This is a solid list! Excellent work honestly!

There are a few small areas we can tweak though. First the Commander should have a pair of Shield Drones (or Gun Drones if you need extra firepower, but only at or below 1000 points). Second, Flamer XV8s are difficult to use for new players- you need to be very aggressive and advance constantly, and you may not get any damage on turn one. Third, the Stealthsuits probably don't need CDS. Lastly, the Ghostkeel's loadout should be modified- it absolutely needs a Target Lock (it gets -1 to hit otherwise) and many people prefer the Cyclic Ion Raker and Burst Cannon combo with ATS. Let's try that our, just to see how it'd look in the list.

With these changes we'll be a little under the points limit, so let's give your Stealthsuits each an ATS- that'll be nice as all of the Burst Cannons in your army will be AP-1, easy to remember. Let's also give them a pair of Shield Drones- can't have our valuable Stealthsuits die too early!

Oh, and one more thing- usually for a 1000-point list 999 or 1000 points is the target, 1001 or 1002 is okay but 1011 is too much. The general rule is, if you can remove wargear to get to 1000 points, you need to.

Otherwise, you're good to go! Here's how it might look:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Firelblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Ethereal w/ Honour Blade (45)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 3x ATS, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (150)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (181)

Total: 1002 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Surviving-Blade
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 01 2017 11:56

I like the Changes realy.

But I have doubts about my defense. My list will often challenge SM or to be more Precise Blood Angels and Salamanders.

So I need a well armed List for anti Melee and a Part in the List to be aggressive enough to beat down shoot styled Melta/Flamer Salamander. Any Sugestions, Loadout changes?

I have no Idea what could happen to me on the Field. The BA would be more like Rain to the Battle Field, so they can Drop always close enough to my Army to get in CC so I prefer XV8 with EWO or something like that but I have no Idea what to play specific against Salamander. It's okay for me to have two Lists. One Aggressive and one Defensive. I hope you Ideas to reach this.

A third Enemy I could encounter is Eldar Craftwords with Psy and some Tanks but more Infantry Heavy.

I love the Hazard Suit Model do they worth it to field them?
Is it possible to add an Aircraft?
And some more Markerlights would be nice.

I know thats a lot of specification from my Side but I Love these things a lot.

Spelling Mistakes for Fun purpose only. :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Nov 01 2017 06:48

Surviving-Blade wrote:I like the Changes realy.

But I have doubts about my defense. My list will often challenge SM or to be more Precise Blood Angels and Salamanders.

Tau have two ways to defend: Gun Drones, which have good overwatch, and skirmish tactics, which means staying about 18" from your foe.

Using Flamers means you need to be really aggressive, so let's use Cyclic Ion Blasters instead! Those are great skirmis weapons.

Surviving-Blade wrote:I have no Idea what could happen to me on the Field. The BA would be more like Rain to the Battle Field, so they can Drop always close enough to my Army to get in CC so I prefer XV8 with EWO or something like that but I have no Idea what to play specific against Salamander. It's okay for me to have two Lists. One Aggressive and one Defensive. I hope you Ideas to reach this.

We can make two lists. Here is my suggestion though. Make one list, and get used to playing it! It may be better to be more experienced with one list, than less experienced with two.

Surviving-Blade wrote:I love the Hazard Suit Model do they worth it to field them?
Is it possible to add an Aircraft?
And some more Markerlights would be nice.

Hazards are great! Especially with the Double-Barreled Burst Cannon (DBBC) weapon. At 1000 points an aircraft, like the Sun Shark Bomber, could work! It would be about 20% of the army though. And mroe Markerlights we can fit in.

Let's see what we can do:

-

1000-point Skirmish List (defensive):

HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors (48)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (181)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

Total: 999 - Command Points: 6 (1 Battalion Detachment)

-

1000-point Air Support List (aggressive):

HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights (48)
Flyer - Sun Shark Bomber w/ Markerlight, Missile Pod, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Interceptor Drones (167)

Total: 993 - Command Points: 6 (1 Battalion Detachment)

-

Either of those look interesting? These haven't been playtested of course, to this is just brainstorming.

Surviving-Blade
Shas

Post#5 » Nov 02 2017 06:39

The second list realy catches my eye. But as I said I am not realy experiencend at playing.

Any Suggestions for me how to play this army?

I guess I shoud be infiltrate near my foe and deploy the Beacon than I drop my Commander or the Crisis and Move than I shoot something long range e.g. a Tank.

My Infantry will constantly move forward to help out with a few shots.

Btw I can fit in 2ML on two Fire Warrior Teams for more sources of ML. (+6)

Should I stick my Pathfinder with the blob of FW and Cadre Fireblade?

Last but not least I have no Idea how to play the Air Support please Help

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Nov 02 2017 07:41

Surviving-Blade wrote:The second list realy catches my eye.

Cool! Feel free to try it out!

[quote="Surviving-Blade"But as I said I am not realy experiencend at playing. Any Suggestions for me how to play this army?[/quote]
It sounds like you have the right idea already though! Here's the role for each unit:

Commander & Stealthsuits:
Keep the Commander in Manta Strike reserve. The Stealthsuits use Infiltrate and get close (but not too close) to an enemy tank or monster. Preferably, this should be the scariest thing in their list. Move the Stealthsuits until you're just under 12" away from the enemy tank. Then, drop the Homing Beacon under 11" away from the enemy tank. The Commander can then drop in under 9" from the tank, and get bonus damage on his Fusion Blasters! Be sure to put a Markerlight on the Commander's intended target too. With 1 Markerlight hit, the Commander's accuracy goes from 83% to 97%! Using a Commander this way, you can easily kill a powerful tank or monster.

Fireblade & Fire Warriors:
The Fire Warriors make a bubble around the Fireblade. They should find enemy infantry and get within 15" of them. Within this range means 3 shots per Fire Warrior, and lots of dead enemy infantry! Fire Warriors can also be used to hold objectives.

XV8 Battlesuits:
Keep these in Manta Strike reserve too. They're amazing at killing all kinds of units, since their guns have two different shooting options! Drop them in around 18" from enemy units. If those units are T3-T6 and have single wounds, use the S7 profile. If those units have multiple wounds, use the S8 profile. Cyclic Ion Blasters are great at killing units such as Primaris Marines, Plague Marines, Tyranid Warriors, and Terminators, but they're just as good at wiping out light infantry too! Consider using these XV8s to destroy fast units that can threaten your Commander.

Pathfinders:
These guys are simple- get them in cover! Hide them as well as you can. Use their Markerlights to mark up a few targets per turn: the Commander's target, and the XV8s' target. If you get re-rolling 1s on Ion weapons, they become much safer! Also remember- if you get 3 Markerlight hits on one target, the Sun Shark Bomber becomes much more powerful! Consider getting 3 Markerlight hits on one target on turn 1 to get lots of early damage.

Sun Shark Bomber:
The Sun Shark Bomber should fly around, attempting every turn to pass over a unit of infantry. If you can fly over large infantry squads, you can do lots of damage with your Pulse Bomb. So pass over infantry units in the Movement phase, then shoot your weapons at far-away targets in the Shooting phase. The Sun Shark and XV8s have similar weapons, so they may often shoot at the same target.

Surviving-Blade
Shas

Post#7 » Nov 02 2017 09:08

Thank You for the Tips.

I will head to the Store right away and I will purchase the Bomber.

Thank you.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Nov 02 2017 09:17

Surviving-Blade wrote:Thank You for the Tips.

I will head to the Store right away and I will purchase the Bomber.

Thank you.

One warning though- the Bomber is very strong, but it's not too durable! So there is a chance the enemy could focus their firepower on it on turn 1. However the Bomber is a Flyer, so enemy weapons shooting at it get -1 to hit.

One good strategy is to include a tank (like a Devilfish or Hammerhead) in the army too. This way there is more than one target for enemy anti-armor weapons. However, in a 1000-point list, there probably isn't room for a tank.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Nov 02 2017 09:38

On that note, if something is potentially strong but keeps getting destroyed early, there's only really one solution (well two): Overload your opponent with just as juicy targets so he has to choose....or take multiple of the same unit. One is none, two is one, three is ... you get it. ;)

Return to “Cadre Building”