2k Tournament (+1CP or another QFC?)

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

2k Tournament (+1CP or another QFC?)

Post#1 » Nov 06 2017 04:46

Community,

Below is a list I'm looking to run at a local tournament. I think without our codex it will be an uphill battle, but want to "convert" a few armies to the Greater Good along the way. Please feel free to offer any tweaks/thoughts, but I also wanted to pose the question if you think me taking a Supreme Command for +1CP is worth it or I should throw Stormy into a Super-Heavy detachment by himself but then I can cut some of the weaker HQs I am running and upgrade a commander to another QFC (quad fusion).

Current list strategy is all the small HQs and gun drones go into devilfish for 1 drop; strike teams camp on a back objective; while stealth team infiltrates for a QFC drop. Yvahra goes after something juicy protected by shield drones; fireblade leads 11 gun drones into the enemy to pop out and suppress; the 3 commanders each have a unique roll (QFC to homing beacon in, missile pod man to hang back and assist the backline, and Coldstar to hunt characters and grab objs). Lastly the stormsurge just shoots stuff up supported by a smattering of markerlights that last 1-2 turns or so.

Current list:
Battalion Detachment
-HQ: Cadre Fireblade w/ 2 gun drones (58pts)
-HQ: Ethereal (45pts)
-Troops: 4 man strike team w/ Shas'ui w/ markerlight (51pts)
-Elite: 2 man stealth suit team w/ Shas'vre all with bursts. +homing beacon +2 shield drones (126pts)
-Transport: Devilfish w/ gun drones (127pts)

Outrider Detachment
-HQ: Darkstrider (45pts)
-Fast Attack: 5 pathfinders + 1 shield drone (48pts)
-Fast Attack: 6 gun drones (48pts)
-Fast Attack: Y'vahra w/ stim injector, target lock and 2 MV52 Shield drones (434pts)

Supreme Command
-HQ: Commander w/ 4 fusion blasters + 2 shield drones (176pts)
-HQ: Commander w/ 3 missile pods and ATS (156pts)
-HQ: Coldstar commander with velocity tracker & ATS (144pts)
-LoW: Stormsurge w/ flamers, blastcannon, shield gen, ATS, velocity tracker (440pts)

So again any thoughts on general list tweaks or weaknesses? And also, should I drop the Supreme Command and replace with Super-Heavy so i drop CPs from 8 to 7 but then could also drop the ethereal and darkstrider (saving 90pts) and could spend them elsewhere? Possibly changing the Missile Pod commander to another QFC? That said I feel like between 1QFC, Yvahra, Stormsurge I have some high-damage output, but then again could always use more...

Thoughts appreciated.
Last edited by Bolter&Rail on Nov 07 2017 03:15, edited 1 time in total.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 2k Tournament (+1CP or another QFC?)

Post#2 » Nov 06 2017 08:43

Looks like a solid list!

Bolter&Rail wrote:I also wanted to pose the question if you think me taking a Supreme Command for +1CP is worth it or I should throw Stormy into a Super-Heavy detachment by himself but then I can cut some of the weaker HQs I am running and upgrade a commander to another QFC (quad fusion).

I wouldn't really change any of the unit choices themselves, but I do think you're running too many infantry HQs. You have almost as many points of HQs as you do foot infantry. Let's drop Darkstrider and the Ethereal (-90) as well as the Fireblade's Gun Drones, the Pathfinders' single Shield Drone (-8), and the Y'vahra's pair of MV52 Shield Drones (-22). We just dropped 120 points and the list is basically none the worse for wear.

Now let's add a little wargear- the Coldstar trades his Velocity Tracker for a Shield Generator and ATS (+16, but your original cost was incorrect, so the Coldstar will now cost 150 points), and finally let's give the Stormsurge a pair of Burst Cannons (+2). With these changes we still have 112 points to spend! Exciting.

Keeping your formatting, here's how the list would look:

-

Battalion Detachment
-HQ: Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42pts)
-HQ: Commander w/ 4 Fusion Blasters + 2 Shield Drones (176pts)
-HQ: Coldstar Commander w/ Shield Generator, ATS (150pts)
-Troops: 4 Fire Warriors + 1 Shas'ui w/ Markerlight (51pts)
-Elite: 2 Stealthsuits + 1 Stealthsuit Shas'vre w/ 3 Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon + 2 Shield Drones (126)
-Transport: Devilfish + Gun Drones (127pts)

Outrider Detachment
-HQ: Commander w/ 3 Missile Pods and ATS (156pts)
-Fast Attack: 4 Pathfinders + 1 Pathfinder Shas'ui (40pts)
-Fast Attack: 6 Gun Drones (48pts)
-Fast Attack: Y'vahra w/ Target Lock and Stimulant Injector (412)

Super-Heavy Auxiliary
-LoW: Stormsurge w/ Blastcannon, 2 Burst Cannons, Shield Generator, ATS, Velocity Tracker (440pts)

Total: 1888

-

You have enough points to add more Markerlights, or more Drones, or if you dropped points here and there you could even add another Commander. Here's what I'd do: Add 1 Pathfinder to your current Pathfinder squad (+8) and add another whole squad of 6 Pathfinders too (+48). Then add a squad of 5 Gun Drones (40) so you can fill a Devilfish with 11 Gun Drones and a Fireblade. With the remaining points give your Missile Pod Commander a pair of Shield Drones (+16) and you're at 2000 points even.

What do you think?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 07 2017 08:58

Love the changes that Arka suggested. That will make the list a lot better. I still think needing two QFC's is a must but I'm not sure how that will work with having the Y'varha. You will probably be able to get away without having a second. I do know you have a lot of very pricey models in this list and I fear it struggles against lists that are big on tank hunting.

Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 07 2017 03:15

Arka0415 wrote: I wouldn't really change any of the unit choices themselves, but I do think you're running too many infantry HQs. You have almost as many points of HQs as you do foot infantry. Let's drop Darkstrider and the Ethereal (-90) as well as the Fireblade's Gun Drones, the Pathfinders' single Shield Drone (-8), and the Y'vahra's pair of MV52 Shield Drones (-22). We just dropped 120 points and the list is basically none the worse for wear.

Now let's add a little wargear- the Coldstar trades his Velocity Tracker for a Shield Generator and ATS (+16, but your original cost was incorrect, so the Coldstar will now cost 150 points), and finally let's give the Stormsurge a pair of Burst Cannons (+2). With these changes we still have 112 points to spend! Exciting.

Arka0415 wrote: Add 1 Pathfinder to your current Pathfinder squad (+8) and add another whole squad of 6 Pathfinders too (+48). Then add a squad of 5 Gun Drones (40) so you can fill a Devilfish with 11 Gun Drones and a Fireblade. With the remaining points give your Missile Pod Commander a pair of Shield Drones (+16) and you're at 2000 points even.

I forgot to mention on my original post the Coldstar already had ATS. Good catch (edited above). Appreciate the input! I think I agree with you that the infantry HQs i had werent adding much (ethereal & darkstrider) for this list. I had them for the +1CP but with 7 CPs I think I have enough. I liked the idea of an etheral giving a constant 6+++ bubble but it cant help the big suits so its meh for this list.

So right away I agree with dropping Ethereal and darkstrider and moving darkstriders drones to a new/existing drone unit in the devilfish. Also agree I should give coldstar shield gen over the velocity tracker and only had it previously due to points.

My two items you mentioned I am uncertain about are:
a) dropping the MV52 shield drones from the Yvahra. She is a juicy target and I need her to make it to bottom of turn 2 at least. I love the idea of tucking them out of LoS and having them tank 2-4 big hits with their 5+++ I am fine with just regular shield drones too, but need ones to deploy alongside the Yvahra which is harder since the stealth team is infiltrating.
b) I am on the fence regarding markerlights and needing more. I will only really need to have fireblade light-up infantry for the gundrones and then all the rest in my list are to support stormy. I likely send off the destroyer missiles turn 1 so have a good chance of having most of the markers still alive. Excluding fireblade I am getting 4+ marker hits. I guess I agree that is pretty light so maybe I try to squeeze a few more. I still need to buy more pathfinders so will see if I can borrow some for this weekend. My hope is facing a list with some venom-like vehicles that if possible the stormsurge can anchor down next to missile pod commander and get 1-2 turns of being either twin-linked from Master of War or +1 BS from anchor ontop of being +1BS for shooting at some fly small armor (obviously big gun likely goes for bigger stuff).

What are your thoughts regarding the shield drones? Yvahra getting lascannoned without some drones nearby is too risky in my mind. A couple high damage rolls while relatively unlikely could be a nasty alphastrike...

As Yojimbob just mentioned I think this lists needs to protect itself against an opponent focused on tank hunting and shield drones can save me another turn to let the Yvahra wreck some more.

Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 07 2017 05:14

Here is a revised vision incorporating dropping the weaker HQs and getting some more bang. Edits underlined

Battalion Detachment
-Elite: 2 Stealthsuits (one with drone controller) + 1 Stealthsuit Shas'vre w/ 3 Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon + 2 Shield Drones (131)

Outrider Detachment
-Fast Attack: 5 Gun Drones (40pts)
-Fast Attack: 4 Gun Drones (32pts)
-Fast Attack: Y'vahra w/ Target Lock and Stimulant Injector w/ 2 MV52 Shield Drones (434)

Super-Heavy Auxiliary
-LoW: Stormsurge w/ Blastcannon, 2 Burst Cannons, Shield Generator, ATS, Velocity Tracker (442pts)

Total: 1979 (so have a few points to spare that I am uncertain where to spend)

Overall this list has 1 less CP, 1 more drop (12 which is still respectable), but more markerlights, and a stronger gun drone contingent and some points left over and slightly stronger overall.

Two thoughts:
1) I have only run the gun drone spam within a devilfish once with mixed results, but do people find that effective? Could drop the fish and consolidate drones to have a similar number of drops but save the devilfish points, but it does seem that 14 drones + fireblade at point blank range with a stealth suit drone controller nearby if I'm lucky would be highly effective. And devilfish is what allows me to go to enemy and make that happen.

2) Any ideas for the last 21pts? Could upgrade the missile pod commander to a second QFC, but I like the idea of a commander hanging back with the troops and activating Master of War turn 1 and giving the stormsurge twin-linked as well so would be losing that (or could have Coldstar hang back for a turn and try to serve that roll) and go with double QFC...

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Nov 07 2017 06:44

Bolter&Rail wrote:Here is a revised vision incorporating dropping the weaker HQs and getting some more bang. Edits underlined

Battalion Detachment
-Elite: 2 Stealthsuits (one with drone controller) + 1 Stealthsuit Shas'vre w/ 3 Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon + 2 Shield Drones (131)

Outrider Detachment
-Fast Attack: Y'vahra w/ Target Lock and Stimulant Injector w/ 2 MV52 Shield Drones (434)

Super-Heavy Auxiliary
-LoW: Stormsurge w/ Blastcannon, 2 Burst Cannons, Shield Generator, ATS, Velocity Tracker (442pts)

Looks like a fun list, and it's not even finished! You'll do well with this one.

Bolter&Rail wrote:1) I have only run the gun drone spam within a devilfish once with mixed results, but do people find that effective? Could drop the fish and consolidate drones to have a similar number of drops but save the devilfish points, but it does seem that 14 drones + fireblade at point blank range with a stealth suit drone controller nearby if I'm lucky would be highly effective. And devilfish is what allows me to go to enemy and make that happen.

The Devilfish may cost more than the Drones, which sounds strange. However, when that thing goes flying into an enemy flank, and the Gun Drones pop out and absolutely ravage an enemy unit, you'll appreciate having that transport. You definitely have the right idea with how to use it. You get 22 BS5+ Pulse Carbines, 1 BS4+ Burst Cannon, and 4 BS4+ Pulse Carbines. The Fireblade is useful in there too- if he fires his Markerlight at BS3+, you have a 66% chance to get 5 more hits with all that shooting (total 3.33 additional hits) whereas if the Fireblade shot with his own Pulse Rifle you'd get 3 BS3+ shots, or 2 hits. So definitely use the Markerlight instead of the Pulse Rifle... unless there is already a Markerlight hit on the target.

Bolter&Rail wrote:2) Any ideas for the last 21pts? Could upgrade the missile pod commander to a second QFC, but I like the idea of a commander hanging back with the troops and activating Master of War turn 1 and giving the stormsurge twin-linked as well so would be losing that (or could have Coldstar hang back for a turn and try to serve that roll) and go with double QFC...

I've never used a Stormsurge in 8th Edition, but I'm not sure if giving it Master of War on Turn 1 is the right idea. On Turn 1, with the Blastcannon, you will likely want to move so that you're within your preferred range with that weapon; in addition, you're probably already re-rolling ones since by you'll have the most Markerlights on Turn 1 too. Then, once you've set your anchors down, use Master of War when your BS is improved to BS3+. You won't need Markerlights, you won't need to move, and you'll get more hits over the course of two turns (re-rolls are better when your base ballistic skill is higher). So, Master of War is good, but not on Turn 1. Just my two cents.

Anyway, about those 21 points, here are some options:

+2 Pathfinders (+16)
+1 Devilfish Seeker Missile (+5)

OR

+2 Commander Shield Drones (+16)

The only thing that worries me is the Y'vahra might not have enough Turn 1 protection.

Anyway, what do you think?

Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Nov 08 2017 02:21

100% agree on markerlighting with fireblade for the gun drones and using that volleyfire from him to get a lot of shots. Should be able to mow down a unit+ of marines I imagine. I also like the idea of having the fish and drones splitting into 6 sacrificial scoring units (fish, fish drones, 2x drone units, fireblade, fireblade drones) in the mid field for objective grabbing. Bummer drones don't have supporting fire to just camp in mid-field and be assault deterrence.
EDIT: just realized drones do have For the Greater Good. Like this strategy even more for dropping a gaggle of drones on a cleared center objective..

Arka0415 wrote:I've never used a Stormsurge in 8th Edition, but I'm not sure if giving it Master of War on Turn 1 is the right idea. On Turn 1, with the Blastcannon, you will likely want to move so that you're within your preferred range with that weapon; in addition, you're probably already re-rolling ones since by you'll have the most Markerlights on Turn 1 too. Then, once you've set your anchors down, use Master of War when your BS is improved to BS3+. You won't need Markerlights, you won't need to move, and you'll get more hits over the course of two turns (re-rolls are better when your base ballistic skill is higher). So, Master of War is good, but not on Turn 1. Just my two cents.

Ya I see what your saying. Guess it will be situational. I think the stormsurge is a juicy turn 1-2 target and people like to get it down to 50% health to really hurt its offensive capability. I typically drop the stormsurge and Yvahra last during deployement so I can see the field and line-up turn 1 targets. So if the enemy deploys aggressively and I feel like the stormsurge's shooting turn 1 is going to be in range then I think I deploy next to my backfield commander so I have the master of war option immediately. If I can stay stationary and be at BS4+, possibly with 5 markerlights on a target (if twin-linked) then I think that is as good of a time as any to master of war especially if I am firing 2-4 destroyer missiles turn 1. If the stormsurge anchors but takes 50% damage on turn 1 then I am back at the same BS4+ but now likely have less marker support and have fired some of my destroyer missiles. Guess its just a gamble depending on the deployment. Ideally I am top of turn 1, Yvahra wrecks something and hence draws a lot of fire but has drones to assist, stormsurge has anchored in the back line and is at >50% health so the missile commander calls Master of War and Stormsurge has a fun turn 2 at BS3+ twin-linked. Overall by my math the BS3+ or BS4+ when twin-linked changes each weapons hits by 1 or so (18.5% increase in hits). So factoring in to wound rolls i don't think it super changes the tide. If really lucky it influences either 1 destroyer missile or 1 blast cannon shot (which isnt shabby).

I just think master of war makes for an excellent turn 1 strike if possible. If the opponent deploys aggressively or gets the top of turn 1 I could easily have a stormsurge, 15 fire warriors, 10 pathfinders, and a missile commander all rerolling hits which could dish some pain while Yvahra, devilfish and QFC jump forward.

Arka0415 wrote:Anyway, about those 21 points, here are some options:
+2 Pathfinders (+16)
OR
+2 Commander Shield Drones (+16)
The only thing that worries me is the Y'vahra might not have enough Turn 1 protection.
Anyway, what do you think?

I wouldnt have thought of the devilfish seeker. Its interesting, but may tempt me to keep the fish back if I master of war turn 1 so he can also twin-link the missile, and think that would be pennywise but dollar foolish. I like it though since I have the stormsurge and will be seeker missile happy turn 1-2 so might as well throw another one in there when I'm lighting up the appropriate target.

I think the Yvahra is decently protected turn 1 with 2 MV52 drones and would be pretty shocked if she gets removed turn 1. By my math with the 2 drones it would take 23 lascannon shots at BS3+ to bring her down. Maybe with some special rules and dice buffers that's more like 3-4 predators, but still. Then again even if she isnt dropped her mobility could be crippled in my deployment zone which would really hurt her damage dishing. I would love to give her 2 more shield drones but not sure the best way. I gave the stealth team some to have them in the mid-field if they are on the same side of the board has her (their priority is lining up a shot for the QFC though) and I guess I could jettison 2 gun drones from the fish over to her on turn 2... The other option is give a pathfinder team 2 shield drones, deploy them next to the Yvahra with the actual pathfinders 5"+ away from yvahra (3" savior protocol + 2" drone/pathfinder coherency) and the pathfinders can then vanguard into cover or with the rest of the "gunline" if I want to twin-link them via Master of War. That gives the Yvahra 4 drones and I would be highly confident she survives turn 1 then and maybe even >50% health if targeted, even though she might outrun the drones for turn 2...

What do you think of that? Have the pathfinders bring some tag-a-long shield drones or just hope the stealth suit ones make it to the Yvahra for turn 2 and cross fingers for turn 1?

Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Nov 13 2017 03:40

Played the list this last weekend in a 30 person tournament. As literally the only list fielded that didnt have a codex I am happy with the performance 1-1-1. My thoughts below and the list I finalized on:
Spoiler!
Battalion Detachment
-Troops: 5 Fire Warriors + 1 Shas'ui w/ Markerlight (51pts)
-Transport: Devilfish + Gun Drones + Seeker missile (132pts)

Outrider Detachment
-Fast Attack: 4 Pathfinders + 1 Pathfinder Shas'ui + 2 shield drones (56pts)

Super-Heavy Auxiliary

Round 1 played against Guard that had a bunch of militarum tempestus, 8 primaris psykers, heavy weapons teams, tons of conscripts, 2x Culexus assassins, 4x Taurox Primes and St. Celestine. I got first turn, declared Master of war, pulled 1 heavy weapons team, ~30 conscripts, coldstar jumped behind their lines and killed a psyker, and the Yvahra jumped forward and pulled 2x Taurox primes with fusion commander help. He rebuttled by smiting both the coldstar commander and fusion commander with ease even though I had some drone support. Focused down my devilfish that got destroyed in the middle of map with drones taking minimal casualties. I then proceeded to kill guardsmen, finish off the heavy weapon paltforms and Taurox, but also had to deal with Culexus and Tempestus appearing behind me which surprisingly did very little damage (some pathfinders and firewarriors hear and there). The mission we played was a little wacky but we ended up each holding 2 objectives at the end, tieing on secondary objectives, and it all came down to linebreaker. He had 2 culexus assassins which I couldnt finish off given them being so hard to hit, and he was able to kill the Yvahra and handful of drones that I had in his zone so he won 11-10 given linebreaker.

Overall I think the alpha strike Master of War worked well, but I had a serious issue with the Yvahra outpacing her drone escort on turn 1. She never had any drone support and I was lucky she survived to turn 3 just because the smite was far away from her turns 1-2. Had the game played longer I think I would have had the game since I was in a better position with 100% stormsurge health that was pulling his guardsmen with ease, but it was neck-and-neck game.

Round 2 faced the nastiest list I have seen in 8th yet that was a strong counter to mine. The damage was done by 4x predators with autocannons and heavy bolters, Guilliman standing behind them, and then using a single CP to have a middle predator declare Kill Shot. End result is this will pull a stormsurge without even blinking. The combo he had resulted in rerolling to hit, rerolling to wound, +1 on the wound roll, +1 on the damage. So heavy freaking bolters are wounding on 4s, making you take invulns, and then doing 2 damage per shot. Autocannons are 4 damage per shot... it was a horrible alpha strike to endure but only pulled the stormsurge for the most part. I countered hard with coldstar attempting to assault predators, fusion commander attempting to kill 1, and the yvahra and infantry focusing on downing a Stormraven gunship in my backlines that was carrying a Leviathan Dreadnought preparing to wreck havoc on the rest of my army. The game resulted in a draw and was a nailbitter. I never killed a predator but took 3 of them down to half health (which helped very little with all their rerolls). The gun drones killed the flyer, yvahra killed the dread, and we each ended on our own table halfs since all my commanders got toasted from the predators as well.

There isnt much I could have done given that alpha strike and playing on my back foot. What would have made a big difference would have been having another fusion commander. I rolled badly with my 1 and having another would have ensured I killed 2 predators or so which I think and that could have changed the tide. A draw against that list isnt bad, and stormy was dead no matter what, but the predators were too far away for the yvahra to impact so I was really left with just 1 fusion commander to take on 4 predators which wasnt enough.

Last round was against Chaos Space Marines and I won easily. The shield drones on the Yvahra were MVPs and won the game hands down. I had second turn and he fired all his heavy weapons and armour at the yvahra and killed 2 out of the 4 drones and that was with it. I had some great drone saves and it lined me up for a devastating rebuttle. Yvahra jumped into his lines and the drones kept up since I deployed them slightly ahead. This resulted in the yvahra killing a deamon prince, vindicator, defiler, and forgefiend with a fusion commander helping in just 3 turns. Some of it was done in overwatch when he charged from 3" away and the rest in shooting. 4 shield drones kept the Yvahra alive and still on 5 wounds by end of game.

Opponent didnt have great target priority, but regardless the shield drones won the game. The yvahra and stormsurge were still alive by turn 4 and the damage they were dishing was unstoppable. I <3 shield drones and this taught me to deploy them in such a way to make sure the Yvahra doesnt ditch them turn 1. (easier said than done)

Edits I will consider making to this list:
-Replace missile commander with another fusion. Having a second fusion can be really important against some opponents. Missile commander is good, but Coldstar can be used to call Master of War if you need it.
-Really work on making sure Yvahra always has drones next to her. Get shield drones in the mid-field by any means necessary (stealth teams, commander drops, maybe even putting 2 in the fish and having them jump out and go a different direction).

Other than that I think going heavy with the Yvahra and Stormsurge worked well in this list and the duo packed a serious punch and is very hard for most opponents to deal with.

Return to “Cadre Building”