Basic (kinda cheap) 1000 pt list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Zadocfish
Shas

Basic (kinda cheap) 1000 pt list

Post#1 » Nov 10 2017 03:40

Okay, so I don't got a lot of money but I do have an SC box and some basic conversion skill.

I'm gonna go by steps, I think. I currently have enough for a 500 pt army right there, if I go oingo-boingo nuts with the weapons on the Crisis Suits, so that's cool. But I'm aiming to have a full 1000 pt playable army by the end of the month, spending the least amount of money feasibly possible.

Here's the list I made with this in mind:

Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [50 PL, 995pts]

Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [50 PL, 995pts]

HQ

Cadre Fireblade [3 PL, 58pts]
Markerlight, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

Commander [7 PL, 176pts]
4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

Troops

Strike Team [3 PL, 63pts]
DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ Missile pod
Fire Warrior Shas'ui
Markerlight, Pulse rifle
4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [3 PL, 63pts]
DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ SMS
Fire Warrior Shas'ui
Markerlight, Pulse rifle
4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Elites

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [7 PL, 150pts]
Homing beacon, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
3x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Advanced targeting system
3x Advanced targeting system, 3x Burst cannon

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [6 PL, 110pts]
Homing beacon
3x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system
3x Burst cannon

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 251pts]
6x MV1 Gun Drone
Crisis Shas'ui
Drone controller, 2x Flamer
Crisis Shas'ui
3x Flamer
Crisis Shas'vre
3x Flamer

Fast Attack

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 52pts]
Pathfinder
Markerlight
Pathfinder Shas'ui
Markerlight
3x Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle
3x Ion rifle

Pathfinder Team [4 PL, 72pts]
MB3 Recon Drone, MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone
Pathfinder
Markerlight
Pathfinder Shas'ui
Markerlight
3x Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle
3x Ion rifle

(Created with BattleScribe)

So for explanation: It's not a complicated army. The deployment of the Pathfinders will vary, but a fun enough strategy would be to turn all the infantry into a big blob in a corner with little scenery. Even if the Pathfinder teams will have to be spread across the board (that is, in the case of fighting a more shooty army whose attention I would like to divert), the drones will still detatch and will will rally around the Fireblade in an open corner while my Strikers set up their turrets.

The Crisis team can come in on the Beacons of the infiltrated Stealth teams to immediately blast a light-to-medium unit, while the gun drones will either screen the Crisis suits and die or, more likely, I can just plop the whole mess right in front of my massed troops and dare anything that wants to try to charge me to try their luck. As for shooting, if I can rendezvous with the main blob (Fireblade especially) when enemies are closing in, those Drones are going to wreck shop. 6 shots each, hitting on 4s, is nothing to scoff at.

The Commander does what Commanders do; he deepstrikes directly next to a major threat and nukes it deader than dead, screened by his two unlucky robot buddies.

The Stealth Suits, meanwhile, should hopefully soak up some fire while also dishing out some pain to light-to-medium armored troops. The unit with APSes will be a bigger target, but should also be a bit more durable with the Shield Drones, while the other functions well enough while preserving point costs and having a lower profile.

I probably don't have enough anti-armor units, but the Ion Rifles combined with the Markerlights should make things a bit easier, especially if they're tucked away safe and warm in the turtle formation with plenty of drones about to allocate enemy shots to.

I've found that the massing strategy is hard to overcome with charges. Even if the enemy makes it through, they should ideally only be getting to drones and even then, the Flamers will wreak havoc if I make the Crisis suits a more defensive line.

The best part is that all I have to buy are a Commander, 2 Stealth Suit teams, a Pathfinder unit, and the bits to add 3 more Ion Rifles and 5 more Flamers to my models. That's about $146, which is... not IDEAL, per se, but relatively affordable by the standards of this particular hobby.

C & C appreciated, of course. I'm really enjoying playing Tau so far, and I'll certainly be playing some 500 pt games with my current set and some Stealth Suits in the meanwhile. Thanks!
I am a Christian.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Re: Basic (kinda cheap) 1000 pt list

Post#2 » Nov 10 2017 04:34

upgrade stealth suits to shas'vre, it's a free upgrade so there's no real downsite

maybe get rid of ATS on stealths, get 9th flamer and move drone controler to one of your stealth teams to use them as drone taxi and equip your stealths with SG a unit to give them more survivibility (imo shield for 3 suits is worth ATS for one suit)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Nov 10 2017 07:26

Honestly, I know you want to get a 1000-point list for as cheap as possible, but I wouldn't pad out the list too much. Support Turrets on the Fire Warrior squads can go, as can the Fireblade, and the Pathfinder drones can go too (for now). With those dropped you're looking at 102 points of savings. In addition, Flamer XV8s and Fusion Commanders can cause problems for each other- you can only use one Homing Beacon per turn, so one of those squads is going to have to wait. I recommend getting CIBs on the XV8s instead of Flamers in this case.

Here's one way to do this list:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 3x ATS, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (150)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 3x ATS; 2x Shield Drones (130)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)

That gets us to 952 points. There are two ways we can go here: (1) you could add the Ethereal, you already have him and he might be able to help the Fire Warriors and Pathfinders a little with Sense of Stone; (2) you could add a big clump of Pathfinder drones; add all of them and keep them by the Pathfinders; (3) you could add the Support Turrets in again- not ideal, but not bad either if you have no other options. I think you only have one though. Here's what I'd recommend:

-

Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 3x ATS, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (150)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 3x ATS; 2x Shield Drones (130)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 3x Ion Rifles; 1x Recon Drone, 1x GI Drone, 1x PA Drone, 2x Gun Drones (96)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 3x Ion Rifles (52)

Total: 996 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

Here's another option. Make the Pathfinder squad larger to protect the heavy weapons, and add an Ethereal for Sense of Stone. Give the Pathfinders Rail Rifles and make a pseudo-Gunline using the Fire Warriors and Pathfinders.

-

HQ - Ethereal w/ Honour Blade (45)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (126)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons; 2x Shield Drones (106)
Fast Attack - 7x Pathfinders w/ 3x Rail Rifles; 1x Recon Drone, 1x GI Drone, 1x PA Drone, 2x Gun Drones (165)

Total: 1002 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Zadocfish
Shas

Post#4 » Nov 10 2017 02:49

Eh... 6 shots per suit is great, but that's still going off of the Crisis' mediocre (bad for the cost) BS skill, which is why people are more partial to Flamer suits. I also don't see the point of taking off the Fireblade if it's going to be a gunline anyways; the Fireblade and the Pathfinders have a lot of synergy, as do the gun drones. I could see putting the DC on one of the Stealth Suits instead, probably the naked unit, like Beerson suggested.

Frankly, the Commander doesn't NEED to DS within 9 inches, and the Flamer Crisis suits are cool with just plopping in front of my infantry to prevent successful charges.

So to me, it seems like CIBs are both expensive (irl) and kinda inefficient with Crisis Suits compared to Flamers, so I'll be giving that a pass... also there's really no point in taking Strikers without a Fireblade and/or pulse drone. Fireblades support just about as well as Etherials, but they also drastically increase the rate of fire for the fireline (think I should get more Strikers?). Trimming down the turrets and one beacon and buying more shield drones, though, is probably a good idea.

Thanks for the suggestions!
I am a Christian.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 10 2017 03:50

the fireblade has best synergy with drones, and I know it's expensive, but if you can get your hands on more drones, they are better alternative to strike teams especially with fireblade, just put one shield drone in each unit to get that tasty saves, and running drones and commanders is the go-to competitive thing right now for good reason

depending on your location you could get them off ebay, but since the sellers only seem to sell them by 4 pieces for some weird reason, shipping may be easily more expensive then the drones themselves

but keep in mind that GW could ruin drone squiads in kodex so it's a risk

also a cheap way to beef up your army is to put your crisis suits on 60mm bases and run them as commanders, just build up the base, paint some unique markings to make them stand out, maybe convert them a bit and nobody can say a thing :)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Nov 10 2017 10:14

Zadocfish wrote:Eh... 6 shots per suit is great, but that's still going off of the Crisis' mediocre (bad for the cost) BS skill, which is why people are more partial to Flamer suits.

People aren't really "more partial" to all-Flamer loadouts. Cyclic Ion Blasters are the best weapons in the Index (possibly tied with the less-versatile Fusion Blaster). With one markerlight on your target, you can stay 18" away and kill Primaris Marines, Terminators, light vehicles, and average rolling will strip at least half the wounds from a medium vehicle. They don't need a Homing Beacon, don't need to get up close, and can engage nearly every target.

Flamer loadouts are excellent at killing hordes or light and medium infantry- everything as tough as a Necron Warrior or weaker will die in droves to an all-Flamer loadout. However, you need to be very aggressive with this unit- advance on your first turn or use a homing beacon, you need to get into close range as fast as you can or you're wasting alpha strike firepower. Remember that, against tougher armies, Flamers have pitiful damage output- against Primaris Marines they will kill 2-3 compared to the CIBs' 7-8.

Zadocfish wrote:I also don't see the point of taking off the Fireblade if it's going to be a gunline anyways; the Fireblade and the Pathfinders have a lot of synergy, as do the gun drones.

You have at best 10 models firing Pulse weapons, probably fewer (you need to fire Markerlights too). Your Pathfinders do not synergize very well with the Fireblade, since they need to be within 9" (12" with the PA Drone) compared to the Fire Warriors' lovely 15"/18" range. With three Pathfinders firing Ion Rifles, probably 3-4 Pathfinders firing Markerlights, and the rest of the Pathfinders probably out of half range, you're getting at best 10 additional shots out of your Fire Warriors- that's the equivalent of 5 more Fire Warriors. The minute you lose a handful of Fire Warriors (which you will), the Fireblade's buff becomes far less useful.

Zadocfish wrote:Frankly, the Commander doesn't NEED to DS within 9 inches

In this army you absolutely must. You have no anti-tank weapons besides the Fusion Commander- your only chance to kill a powerful vehicle or monster on turn one will be by using those Fusion Blasters. No CIBS and no other Fusion Blasters means the responsibility of killing vehicles rests squarely with the Fusion Commander.

Zadocfish wrote:the Flamer Crisis suits are cool with just plopping in front of my infantry to prevent successful charges.

The XV8s are more than 25% of your list- they're your main damage dealers and should not guard anything if possible. Set them charging out as fast, and as early, as you can- they need to do their part. You'd need to kill 64 Imperial Guardsmen for these guys to make their points back- you need to get on that early.

Zadocfish wrote:So to me, it seems like CIBs are both expensive (irl) and kinda inefficient with Crisis Suits compared to Flamers, so I'll be giving that a pass

Zadocfish wrote:also there's really no point in taking Strikers without a Fireblade and/or pulse drone.

Fire Warriors do perfectly fine without a Fireblade, especially when they're in small numbers. Once you have 18 or 20 Fire Warriors, then a Fireblade really stands out. Until then though I wouldn't bother. The Pulse Accelerator Drone is entirely a filler unit- I'd never run one unless I didn't have the points to reach the game's point limit or something. It's easy to kill, and ultimately only gives you +3" to your rapid-fire range. Having a 36" range and a 42" threat range seem unnecessary to me.

The reason why it works in this list is because you only have the models to do a ~900-point list, so we're adding things to bring you up to the 1000-point cap. A big squad of Pathfinder drones is plenty durable and offers great utility; just taking 6 Gun Drones would probably be better, but if you're trying to buff your Ion Rifles and keep them safe, it's not bad.

Zadocfish wrote:Fireblades support just about as well as Etherials, but they also drastically increase the rate of fire for the fireline

The only thing Fireblades do is increase rate of fire, while Ethereals mainly exist to give that 16% durability boost. In a small game like this where you're only bringing a handful of Fire Warriors, I think both aren't really ideal. However, since you already own an Ethereal, it's a decent character that saves you the need to spend more money- it's a win-win.

If you're wedded to the idea of using all-Flamer XV8s, then we need to add a few things to the list. First, we need more anti-tank, and second, we need some kind of anti-elite weaponry that can (somewhat) take the place of the CIBs. Here's an idea.

-

HQ - Ethereal w/ Honour Blade (45)
Troops - 9x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (75)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster & Multi-Tracker, 2x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (139)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster & Multi-Tracker, Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons; 2x Shield Drones (119)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255)
Fast Attack - 9x Pathfinders w/ 3x Rail Rifles; 1x Recon Drone, 1x GI Drone, 1x PA Drone, 2x Gun Drones (181)

Total: 1000 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

The idea here is to reduce the number of drops to increase your chance of getting first turn, and increase the size of the Pathfinder squad to better protect the Rail Rifles. The 6 Fusion Blasters are your anti-tank, the three Rail Rifles are your anti-elite, and the Flamer XV8s are your anti-infantry. Keep the 18 infantry models together and use the Pathfinder drone squad as a screen. The Multi-Trackers are just there to use up the last few points.

Feel free to swap the Ethereal for a Fireblade- if you do, you'd need to split the infantry squads (as you wouldn't get the morale bonus) and be much more aggressive with these units, since you'd need to get into that 18" range to efficiently use the Fireblade's buff. Don't go for the 12" range- it's too dangerous and you'd like to keep your infantry at a nice 18" skirmish range. Here's a sample Fireblade list:

-

HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors (40)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors (40)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (137)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons; 2x Shield Drones (117)
Fast Attack - 9x Pathfinders w/ 3x Rail Rifles; 1x Recon Drone, 1x GI Drone, 1x PA Drone, 2x Gun Drones (181)

Total: 998 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

The Pathfinders still cause problems though- how do we make the squad large enough to protect the Rail Rifles, while also trying to curb morale losses?

Anyway, What do you think?

Zadocfish
Shas

Post#7 » Nov 11 2017 12:52

I think your lists would work way better than mine... though I don't like that the number of elite-killing weapons on the Pathfinders goes down from 6 to 3 by grouping them together. I see, now, that the Ion Blasters are better, but they're like $5 PER WEAPON and spending $30 for weapons that would only hit half that time seems... iffy to me. Flamethrowers are dirt cheap, and get more wounds than most possible Crisis weapons because they bypass their 50/50 hit chance. The idea I'm getting, though, is that I don't want my Crisis Suits to Manta Strike if I have them with Flamers. Right?

If I'm not mistaken, Ion Rifles are just as anti-elite as Rail Rifles for about a third the point cost, right? Overcharging (rerolling 1s), they end up with D3 shots, with good Strength and solid AP... are Rail Rifles really that good in comparison?

Also, having the Commander as the only Deep-Strike unit, and the Crisis Suits and their Drones lined up with the main army to begin with, would a turtling strategy work? Keep the army in one giant bullet-blob aside from the Stealth Teams and Commander (and XV8s)? Then all the drones aside from the Shields I assign to my outriding members would be there to allocate wounds to, giving the Ion Rifles protection, as well as allowing all of the gun drones to benefit from the Fireblade as I leave them behind to go hunting with the Crisis Suits.

How does that idea sound?

(Oh! Also, I DON'T have an Etherial. I converted him into a Fireblade first chance I got.)
I am a Christian.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Nov 11 2017 03:03

Zadocfish wrote:I see, now, that the Ion Blasters are better, but they're like $5 PER WEAPON and spending $30 for weapons that would only hit half that time seems... iffy to me. Flamethrowers are dirt cheap, and get more wounds than most possible Crisis weapons because they bypass their 50/50 hit chance.

CIBs and Flamers are both good options- just don't dismiss the humble CIB too quickly :D At any rate, if you're keeping things cheap, remember that everything will change possibly in December and definitely in the spring. If you're hesitant about something for any reason, then wait. Who knows, CIBs could become trash in the new Codex (unlikely, but you never know) so keep that in mind.

Zadocfish wrote:The idea I'm getting, though, is that I don't want my Crisis Suits to Manta Strike if I have them with Flamers. Right?

Unless you have a homing beacon, then no, definitely don't deep strike with the XV8s. You won't be able to shoot on that turn and you'll waste your alpha strike. Instead, during deployment, pay close attention to the enemy's unit placements and the extent to which each is bubble-wrapped. Think about target priority, and ask yourself- "which enemy unit to I want to remove first?"

Now, the Fusion Commander will always go in Manta Strike. So, your first deployment drop will be to put the Fusion Commander up there. Then, if the enemy deploys infantry that you deem to be a greater threat than the enemy's monsters and/or vehicles, then put the XV8s into Manta Strike reserve too. Here are the two main scenarios:

1. The enemy has a super-heavy vehicle or titanic monster.
In this case, keep your XV8s on the ground and have your Fusion Commander use the Homing Beacon to arrive within 9" of the monster. The XV8s deploy normally, as close to enemy infantry as possible. If you're lucky, your 8+D6" move and 8" weapon range will allow you to use the Flamers on turn 1.

2. The enemy has a deadly infantry squad.
In this case, put both the XV8s and your Fusion Commander into Manta Strike reserve. The XV8s use the Homing Beacon, while the Fusion Commander drops 18" away from its intended target. Not ideal, but you still get plenty of damage.

Zadocfish wrote:I think your lists would work way better than mine... though I don't like that the number of elite-killing weapons on the Pathfinders goes down from 6 to 3 by grouping them together.

If I'm not mistaken, Ion Rifles are just as anti-elite as Rail Rifles for about a third the point cost, right? Overcharging (rerolling 1s), they end up with D3 shots, with good Strength and solid AP... are Rail Rifles really that good in comparison?

When I say anti-elite, I'm talking about very heavy infantry. Terminators, Primaris Marines, that sort of thing. We need weapons like CIBs, Rail Rifles, and Missile Pods to take these down- Ion Rifles won't cut it. Ion Rifles are great at killing one-wound targets like ordinary Space Marines but they're ineffective against Terminators and the like. In terms of points-efficienty, you're right- Ion Rifles are good weapons. However, I'm worried that this list would be unable to do enough damage to Primaris Marines or Terminators.

Zadocfish wrote:Also, having the Commander as the only Deep-Strike unit, and the Crisis Suits and their Drones lined up with the main army to begin with, would a turtling strategy work? Keep the army in one giant bullet-blob aside from the Stealth Teams and Commander (and XV8s)? Then all the drones aside from the Shields I assign to my outriding members would be there to allocate wounds to, giving the Ion Rifles protection, as well as allowing all of the gun drones to benefit from the Fireblade as I leave them behind to go hunting with the Crisis Suits.

Turtling is a good strategy, but remember you need to stay mobile. All of your firepower is at 18" range- Gun Drones, Pulse Carbines, rapid-firing Pulse Rifles, Fusion Blasters, Burst Cannons. The Fire Warriors and Pathfinders will need to move forward deliberately while staying in a dense blob formation- every squad needs to be touched by the Fireblade's aura, even the Drones. In this case Rail Rifles are good again- they're Rapid-Fire, so there's no penalty to moving and shooting.

Here's a general idea. D is Drone, F is Fire Warrior, P is Pathfinder, and C is the Cadre Fireblade.

D D D D D
P P P P P P P P P
F F F F F C F F F F F

Obviously this sort of formation would be very easy to flank, so make sure to concentrate your firepower on one side of the enemy army.

Zadocfish wrote:Oh! Also, I DON'T have an Etherial. I converted him into a Fireblade first chance I got.

Well, that solves that! :D

-

If you prefer to use Ion Rifles over Rail Rifles (for example, maybe your local meta has no elite armies really) then here is an idea:

Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (121)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons (101)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 3x Ion Rifles; 1x Recon Drone, 1x GI Drone, 1x PA Drone, 1x Shield Drone (88)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 3x Ion Rifles (52)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)

Total: 1001 - Command Points: 5 (1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

Zadocfish
Shas

Post#9 » Nov 12 2017 12:48

It seems like Pathfinders can be troublesome to place... but you're totally right about Ion Rifles not being as good, and small units being inferior given their frailty.

I've played some actual games since the last message! Needless to say, I'm off of Flamers now. The Strikers are really enough to handle most hordes... and the army NEEDS its Fusion platforms and AP. I'm still not convinced about CIBs, though... Plasmas aren't TOO much worse, and they're pretty cool for the low point costs given that they can Manta Strike and still fire off 2 shots per Rifle at -3 AP.

My FLGS just got in another SC kit, so getting a Commander, another Stealth Team, and Pathfinders is actually MORE expensive, now... More importantly, I've gotten a bit more experience in the game, so I can actually base my ideas off of experience.

Everyone was so right about so many things. Gun drones are faaaaantastic compared to Strikers, but Strikers are still cheaper and certainly not BAD, so I hope it's okay if I still use some.

I hope it's okay to post a very different idea for an army in the same thread. I think this new one would work much better, while being actually cheaper, than my previous shot. Note, though, that the lack of a Commander hurts it more than a little... but, I would like to know if it's a bit more viable, anyways.

---

Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [998]

HQ

Cadre Fireblade, Shield Drone x2 [58pts]

Troops

Strike Team x10 [80]
-
Strike Team x10 [80]

Elites

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits x3, Shield Drone x2, Homing Beacon [150]
-
XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
Fusion Blasters x9, Gun Drones x4, Shield Drones x2 [363]
-
XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
Plasma Rifles x8, Drone Controller, Gun Drones x6 [267]

---

The Strike Teams/Stealth Teams should be okay vs hordes, as should the Drone/XV8 teams. The Fusion team should be able to kill heavy units, while the Plasma Rifles should work for heavy infantry. The Plasmas don't need the Stealth Team for support at all, while the Fusion Blasters do... plus, I had 20 pts leftover and it was either a Beacon or a Support Turret, and I from my experience DSing within Fusion range would be pretty freakin cool. The Shield Drones add a little bit of durability vs shooting for the Fireblades and Stealth Teams, obviously.

So, how is this?
I am a Christian.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Nov 16 2017 07:04

Zadocfish wrote:I've played some actual games since the last message! Needless to say, I'm off of Flamers now. The Strikers are really enough to handle most hordes... and the army NEEDS its Fusion platforms and AP. I'm still not convinced about CIBs, though... Plasmas aren't TOO much worse, and they're pretty cool for the low point costs given that they can Manta Strike and still fire off 2 shots per Rifle at -3 AP.

If you don't want to use CIBs, and prefer Plasma Rifles, that's okay- but remember, you need to be very aggressive with these! Drop in 12" away from your intended target, and bring as 3 Plasma Rifles and two Gun Drones per suit. Your ideal targets are high-armor T3/T4 units. But you need to be aggressive- 18 shots is decent, but 9 shots is awful.

Zadocfish wrote:Everyone was so right about so many things. Gun drones are faaaaantastic compared to Strikers, but Strikers are still cheaper and certainly not BAD, so I hope it's okay if I still use some.

Gun Drones are great, but Strike Team Fire Warriors aren't bad at all. Remember they have a range advantage over Gun Drones, have much better morale, can be used more viably in large squads, and have better accuracy. Gun Drones are a better unit, but Fire Warriors are great too. In my list I use 27 Fire Warriors and 25 Gun Drones.

Zadocfish wrote:I hope it's okay to post a very different idea for an army in the same thread. I think this new one would work much better, while being actually cheaper, than my previous shot. Note, though, that the lack of a Commander hurts it more than a little... but, I would like to know if it's a bit more viable, anyways.

It's always okay to post new lists- it's your thread! Not having Commanders, though, makes things tricky.

Zadocfish wrote:The Strike Teams/Stealth Teams should be okay vs hordes, as should the Drone/XV8 teams. The Fusion team should be able to kill heavy units, while the Plasma Rifles should work for heavy infantry. The Plasmas don't need the Stealth Team for support at all, while the Fusion Blasters do... plus, I had 20 pts leftover and it was either a Beacon or a Support Turret, and I from my experience DSing within Fusion range would be pretty freakin cool. The Shield Drones add a little bit of durability vs shooting for the Fireblades and Stealth Teams, obviously.

Looks like a solid list. A few things though- you really want to spam Plasma Rifles, since they're weak individually, so I'd go with 9x Plasma Rifles on the on XV8 squad. Also, your Fireblade probably doesn't need Shield Drones since he can't be targeted normally- unless you're really afraid of snipers they're not necessary. Also, 9x Fusion Blasters on an XV8 unit is very, very expensive. However, if that's what it takes to kill tanks, then go for it. Some players have had success with 6 Fusion Blasters and 3 Flamers for overwatch, but then again most players also have access to Fusion Commanders too.

Also, a few simple changes- break the Fire Warriors down into smaller squads. 6/6/6 or 6/6/8 are better for morale purposes. An having only one Markerlight feels a little... light, to me anyway. Here's a simple improvement idea:

-

Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Shield Generator, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (134)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Plasma Rifles; 4x Gun Drones, 2x Shield Drones (273)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Fusion Blasters, Shield Generator; 4x Gun Drones, 2x Shield Drones (350)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones, 2x Shield Drones (48)

Total: 1000 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

With this list, you're also very well-situated to upgrade to 1500 points, as you only need 2 HQs to make a Battalion Detachment and a Vanguard Detachment.

What do you think?

Return to “Cadre Building”