2000 point competitive list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
CrappingEagle
Shas

2000 point competitive list

Post#1 » Nov 13 2017 12:52

This is my comp list for a few upcoming tournaments. Looking for some outside opinions on it to see if there is anything I need to change.

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [64 PL, 1368pts] ++

+ HQ +

Ethereal [4 PL, 71pts]: Equalizers, Hover Drone, 2x MV7 Marker Drone

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 323pts]: 6x MV1 Gun Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'vre: 2x Cyclic ion blaster, Drone controller

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [6 PL, 80pts]
. 9x Pathfinder: 9x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol

XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit [20 PL, 447pts]: Shield generator, Target lock

XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit [20 PL, 447pts]: Shield generator, Target lock

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [27 PL, 632pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, 172pts]: Advanced targeting system, 3x Missile pod, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

Commander [7 PL, 163pts]: 3x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone, Shield generator

Commander [7 PL, 163pts]: 3x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone, Shield generator

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [6 PL, 134pts]: Homing beacon
. 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Shield generator: 2x Burst cannon, 2x Shield generator
. Stealth Shas'vre: Burst cannon, Shield generator

++ Total: [91 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Re: 2000 point competitive list

Post#2 » Nov 13 2017 03:12

You list is very unique. I wish I could see the ethereal. :)
The crisis suits should probably cyclic ion blaster each for an ats. The damage drop is barely negligible in mathhammer, but it saves you 20-30 points.. the shield generator commanders are interesting. I can't decide if it's good or bad. I am leaning towards bad because of the character rule, but it can have its uses

CrappingEagle
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 13 2017 03:25

Lostroninsoul wrote:You list is very unique. I wish I could see the ethereal. :)
The crisis suits should probably cyclic ion blaster each for an ats. The damage drop is barely negligible in mathhammer, but it saves you 20-30 points.. the shield generator commanders are interesting. I can't decide if it's good or bad. I am leaning towards bad because of the character rule, but it can have its uses

Thanks for the feedback on the crisis suits I can see how the ap would be more important than 3 extra shots. As far as the shield genarators go I often find myself getting screwed over by ap -2 or -3 a large amount of the time if I don't bring shields. While that may just be my shop enviorment it still has shown to be more benficial then another fusion blaster more often then not.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Nov 13 2017 07:47

Looks interesting! However, I feel like a lot of points are being spent on questionable upgrades... 51 points for the Ethereal, 30 points of extra XV8 wargear (you can drop to ATS with no loss of damage), 80 points worth of Y'vahra Shield Generators, and 24 points worth of Stealthsuit Shield Generators. Almost 10% of your list. Maybe you feel it's important to bring tons of Shield Generators, I don't fault you on that. I just feel like those ~200 points could be better spent elsewhere. In other areas, the pair of Marker Drones can be dropped and the Pathfinders can be split up to prevent morale losses.

Here's a redraft with lots of open space:

HQ - Commander w/ 3x Fusion Blasters, Shield Generator; 2x Shield Drones (163)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS; 2x Shield Drones (172)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders (48)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Stimulant Injector, Target Lock (412)

There's 1834 points- still plenty of room to grow, and the units are more efficient.

However, I think there's one big problem- you have no anti-infantry. The Y'vahras, XV8s, and Commanders (1600+ points!) are all anti-elite/anti-tank. Are you sure you're okay with this setup?

CrappingEagle
Shas

Post#5 » Nov 13 2017 08:04

Arka0415 wrote:Looks interesting! However, I feel like a lot of points are being spent on questionable upgrades... 51 points for the Ethereal, 30 points of extra XV8 wargear (you can drop to ATS with no loss of damage), 80 points worth of Y'vahra Shield Generators, and 24 points worth of Stealthsuit Shield Generators. Almost 10% of your list. Maybe you feel it's important to bring tons of Shield Generators, I don't fault you on that. I just feel like those ~200 points could be better spent elsewhere. In other areas, the pair of Marker Drones can be dropped and the Pathfinders can be split up to prevent morale losses.

Here's a redraft with lots of open space:

HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS; 2x Shield Drones (172)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)

There's 1834 points- still plenty of room to grow, and the units are more efficient.

However, I think there's one big problem- you have no anti-infantry. The Y'vahras, XV8s, and Commanders (1600+ points!) are all anti-elite/anti-tank. Are you sure you're okay with this setup?

The anti infantry was meant to be the crisis suits, and thanks for the redraft ill try to test my list and yours out to see which one i like better.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Nov 13 2017 08:14

CrappingEagle wrote:The anti infantry was meant to be the crisis suits, and thanks for the redraft ill try to test my list and yours out to see which one i like better.

XV8s with CIBs are anti-elite. With ATS, they just get even more anti-elite. CIBs are good because they can do everything, not because they're good at doing anything. The bigger the target, the better they get- but when it comes to killing weak units, Gun Drones and Flamers do the work better.

Consider adding a mechanized Gun Drone team (Fireblade, 11 Gun Drones, Devilfish ) for 257 points or a Flamer XV8 team (3 XV8s w/ 9 Flamers, 6 Gun Drones) for 255 points.

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Nov 14 2017 09:50

Cool list!

It is actually close to some lists that I've been using. 2 Y'vahras is a good number IMO, providing redundancy and always reaching the important targets with those killing machines.
The thing I see, as it has already been commented, is that I would drop those Shields from the XV109s for sure, cause you are paying 80 points to increase their Sv from 5++ to 4++, but from <12" or melee you are pauing for absolutely nothing!. I always run mine with ATS and Stim, and starting with a Commander (Coldstar if possible) to mont'ka strike your opp from turn 1 if they deploy too close. If you want to have more independent units, I can see puting TL instead of one of the 2 Systems.

Regarding the Stealth team, they have impressed me recently. Inicially I thought they were weak and inneficient but necessary to drop the suits close enough. But with the -1 to hit and its 2+ (having the "infantry" keyword is rare not to be in cover), they are really though, they don't need shields or drones.
Also, the Beacon'd Crisis can drop in CaC directly, without charging, to disable key shooting from shooty infantry or tanks. That said, I think that if you don't use the XV8 to do some CaC shenanigans directly from Manta Strike, this Beacon will only be to allow a Fusion Commander to pop some tank from melta range.

To give the beacon some versatility (and more anti-infantry too), I would add some flamers to your crisis, or add another crisis team with flamers and drones, even if you have to drop the pathfinders or change the loadout of MP commander or the CIB team.
If those are too many changes for you, at least I would see if you can put an extra Crisis suit on the team, and put some flamers in there.

In my case, actually, I only use full-Flamer 3man Crisis teams with 6x Gun Drones, and I give the other guns to the commanders, taking advantage of the 2+ BS.

I hope it goes well either way, and if you post some tournament reports please, tell us!

Return to “Cadre Building”