First 40k army for casual play

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Orion7
Shas'Saal

First 40k army for casual play

Post#1 » Nov 15 2017 06:28

Hi all, I'm new to the world of 40k so am looking for feedback from more experienced players on my army list. It's just for casual play with friends (they play plague marines and space marines), looking at 1000 point limit.

I've picked up some old models from a friend and am looking forward to trying some of them out in a themed list, specifically I want a high tech stealth outfit (if anyone has read the Deathworlders HFY story I'm going for a unit heavily influenced by the Gaoian arm of the SOR, if you've not read it, do so it's amazing).

So, as l I've set it up in a vanguard battleforged formation, with the logic that the stealth troops go in early and close and take out priority targets then proceed to mess things up a little, whilst the fireblade and pathfinders hang back near the deployment zone to provide long range rail ruffle and marker light support. The fish is there to get units out of tough spots if needs be, or to deliver some angry pathfinders into a better location (to continue with the Deathworlders theme for those who've read it, the suits will be fulfilling the role of the HEAT troops and the others will fill the role of JETS troops)

HQ Commander Shadowsun 195 points
2*MV52 drone, 1* MV62 command link drone
HQ Cadre fireblade 58 points
2 gun drones
Elite Ghostkeele battlesuit 184 points
ATS, TL, flamers and fusion collider, 2*MV5 stealth drone
Elite 3* Stealth suit 128 points
Shas'vre upgrade, 2*burst canon 1*fusion blaster 2*counter fire 1*shield generator
Elite 3*stealth suits 128 points
Shas'vre upgrade 2*burst cabin 1*fusion blaster
1*ATS 2*counter fire
Fast Attack 10* pathfinders 173 points
Full set of special drones plus one gun drone, 3 rail rifles
Transport devilfish 127 points
Two seeker missiles and two attached gun drones.

Hopefully I've got the formatting right, it's my first list! Feedback on the format and or army list are both welcome.

mason8ah
Shas'Saal

Re: First 40k army for casual play

Post#2 » Nov 16 2017 03:50

Hi! I like the idea of the list, and there's been a few built like it (So search the board and check them out too if you can).
Only 2 real points, the Burst Cannons are going to be dead weight against Marine and MEQ, I'd consider putting an ATS on the stealth suit that has counter fire defence system, as that system is barely gonna help and you're gonna want as much AP as possible against marines.
Secondly why have you got the fireblade? The only benefit I can see him giving this list is 2+ Markerlight. You might as well try for a darkstrider to give your rail rifles structual analyser to wound those marines on a 2+! Also his vanguard and fighting retreat fit in better with your theme. If you havent for him maybe you could proxy him.

Other than that it's not bad for a casual list, in my opinion the stealth suits aren't going to be doing very well unless they have full marker light support and ATS, as their burst cannons are too weak for MEQ. If it was me I'd rather have Vespid or crisis suits with Cyclic Ion Blasters or Plasma. But they don't fit your theme.
mason8ah

Nothing fancy.

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 16 2017 05:47

Good point, that makes sense about the cannons, I'll bang on some ATS instead. Yeah the fireblade was simply for ML and to bump up the pulse pathfinders in case things for hairy, and I don't have a darkstrider, though as you say proxy could be a good option. I considered maybe keeping an XV8 unit as manta backup but simply didn't have the points for it (though I suppose you are allowed one understrength unit right?). And a small amount of XV8 would fit my theme if I expanded it slightly...

I'm expecting to be mostly fighting pox walkers and plague marines of that helps, possibly some other tau, and necrons

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 16 2017 06:16

Okay, so taking that advice I've managed to tweak it to get exactly 1k points!
Here's the update

HQ Darkstrider 45 points (as advised)

Elite 3* Stealth suit 150 points
Shas'vre upgrade, 2*burst canon 1*fusion blaster 3*ATS 2 gun drones (more dakka can't hurt right?, Plus saviour protocols)

Elite 3*stealth suits 150 points
3*ATS 2 shield drones (to increase life with the saviour protocols and FnP)

Fast Attack 5* pathfinders 125 points
Full set of special drones plus two ml drones, 3 rail rifles (I cut out the chaff of pulse rifles down to minimum squad size)

Transport devilfish 151 points
Two seeker missiles and two SMS (Changed this to add a pseudo heavy support role whilst it's not in use for transport)

mason8ah
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 16 2017 09:59

Orion7 wrote:I considered maybe keeping an XV8 unit as manta backup but simply didn't have the points for it (though I suppose you are allowed one understrength unit right?). And a small amount of XV8 would fit my theme if I expanded it slightly...

I'm expecting to be mostly fighting pox walkers and plague marines of that helps, possibly some other tau, and necrons

You can take 1 under strength unit in an auxiliary support detachment, at -1CP though. Not the best idea, 1 crisis by itself is inaccurate and vulnerable, (Unless a flamer suit with shield drones).
If you do face other tau, the -1 to-hit of your list going to work wonders!

Orion7 wrote:Okay, so taking that advice I've managed to tweak it to get exactly 1k points!
Here's the update

HQ Darkstrider 45 points (as advised)

Elite 3* Stealth suit 150 points
Shas'vre upgrade, 2*burst canon 1*fusion blaster 3*ATS 2 gun drones (more dakka can't hurt right?, Plus saviour protocols)

Elite 3*stealth suits 150 points
3*ATS 2 shield drones (to increase life with the saviour protocols and FnP)

Fast Attack 5* pathfinders 125 points
Full set of special drones plus two ml drones, 3 rail rifles (I cut out the chaff of pulse rifles down to minimum squad size)

Transport devilfish 151 points
Two seeker missiles and two SMS (Changed this to add a pseudo heavy support role whilst it's not in use for transport)

Yea for me this looks a but more appropriate.
Consider 2 units of 4 Pathfinders instead of 5 and 3 ML drones. Better accuracy and safer for morale.
I'm also not entirely sure how useful the special drones are going to be, I don't run them myself, so can't really say.
Hopefully one of the more experienced members will jump in on this!
I like the SMS's point them and Marine Scouts in cover and watch them fall. Try having a think what you sub the devilfish for, I like it in this list, but you don't have a lot of things that need moving quickly and safely aside from the pathfinders which may not need it, but it's your themed list so it's totally up to you.

It all now depends on how you play it. Aim your stealth suits with gun drones at the lighter armoured units and the ones with shield drones at the (slightly) heavier armed units. Some people here don't think a fusion blaster on a stealth is a good idea as they'll be missing their 1 shot half the time, it's up to you, we can give you all the advice in the world but the only way to really learn and get to grips with it is to play and lose and keep playing! It's all still enjoyable! It's only casual, so have fun and if you find they weren't useful, or there was too much enemy light infantry, try swapping them out next time for more burst cannons.
Although with the amount of fusion you're packing there won't be much enemy armour left for very long!
mason8ah

Nothing fancy.

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 16 2017 10:36

mason8ah wrote:

Yea for me this looks a but more appropriate.
Consider 2 units of 4 Pathfinders instead of 5 and 3 ML drones. Better accuracy and safer for morale.
I'm also not entirely sure how useful the special drones are going to be, I don't run them myself, so can't really say.
Hopefully one of the more experienced members will jump in on this!
I like the SMS's point them and Marine Scouts in cover and watch them fall. Try having a think what you sub the devilfish for, I like it in this list, but you don't have a lot of things that need moving quickly and safely aside from the pathfinders which may not need it, but it's your themed list so it's totally up to you.

It all now depends on how you play it. Aim your stealth suits with gun drones at the lighter armoured units and the ones with shield drones at the (slightly) heavier armed units. Some people here don't think a fusion blaster on a stealth is a good idea as they'll be missing their 1 shot half the time, it's up to you, we can give you all the advice in the world but the only way to really learn and get to grips with it is to play and lose and keep playing! It's all still enjoyable! It's only casual, so have fun and if you find they weren't useful, or there was too much enemy light infantry, try swapping them out next time for more burst cannons.
Although with the amount of fusion you're packing there won't be much enemy armour left for very long!

I thought the minimum unit strength for the pathfinders was five models? Actually good point, with only two models wielding pulse weapons I can drop the PA drone. Grav inhibitor is just to buy them time to get to tha choppah if someone closes.

As to the fish, I don't really have any other units that fit the theme of this army, so it was dropped in almost as an afterthought, plus I can maybe tie things up with it (honestly I don't how exactly how this works in terms of mechanics being a new player, but people here seem to think it a useful tactic so I'd like to try it and learn, see if it's any good)

mason8ah
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Nov 16 2017 11:38

Orion7 wrote:I thought the minimum unit strength for the pathfinders was five models? Actually good point, with only two models wielding pulse weapons I can drop the PA drone. Grav inhibitor is just to buy them time to get to tha choppah if someone closes.

As to the fish, I don't really have any other units that fit the theme of this army, so it was dropped in almost as an afterthought, plus I can maybe tie things up with it (honestly I don't how exactly how this works in terms of mechanics being a new player, but people here seem to think it a useful tactic so I'd like to try it and learn, see if it's any good)

Yea nope you're right, it is 5 minimum, I have no idea what I was thinking sorry!
A good tactic with the fish is to tie enemy units up, depending on what they are, you'll experiment with this find out that sometimes Tau love a good charge! I suppose if you do have enemies baring down on your Pathfinders, you can use the fish to tie them up to get an extra round or 2 of Marker Light support in, or use the time to load into the fish and then zip off somewhere else. The problem with moving Pathfinders at all is you sacrifice a good 2 or 3 turns of Marker Light support (and points). 1 for moving them into the fish, 1 while they're in the fish and then essentially another one while they move out of the fish and suffer -1 to-hit as they moved.
I played a Grav Inhibitor drone once, didn't do anything and I still got charged as I only rolled a 1, so for me they're not great, but they made them for a reason!
Often I let the pathfinders get munched or shot up, as that's enemy ammo that ISN'T pouring into units that actually deal damage. And if your pathfinders are not being targeted, then you have Marker Light Support for another turn. So in my mind, pathfinders are a win-win, depends on how you see it and if you're 'glass is half full' or not! :smile:

But either way, play it, see how it works and report back! I'd be interested to know how it goes for ya!
mason8ah

Nothing fancy.

Return to “Cadre Building”