1500pt VS Harlequins

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
User avatar
mason8ah
Shas'Saal
Posts: 53

1500pt VS Harlequins

Post#1 » Nov 15 2017 02:32

Hi ATT!

Thanks for taking an interest in my post.

I am having a re-match with a friend who has Harlequins, I'm fairly new to playing wit Tau (collected and painted for years, but not really played much). The purpose of the re-match is that we are having an EXACT re-match of our 1st game. a couple months ago now, when I was a real new person with Tau and made an awful list and set up and played it even worse. Since then I have done my research, took to ATT made posts and got heavily involved in a discussion about my (mis)conceptions of Tau play style. So my Quins friend has agreed to exact re-match, but I change up my list with the knowledge I have gained from ATT to see how i get on (thanks to everyone who helped!).

1st off a description of what the game will be.
The field will be played length ways, with the Quins deployment zone being the majority of the table and the Tau deployment zone being the entire width and only 15" deep (So one end of a rectangle) with only 15" between the two zones (measurements are approximate, due to poor memory, but you get the jist, I have no space to deploy, he has loads and barely any space between the two). The quins get turn 1 and with a charge threat range of about 24" they WILL be in CC on Turn 1 (last game without charging they were almost base to base). That is what this list is built around.

So here it is, please let me know your thoughts as I'm still hardly experienced. Last game I got tabled, but I've been told with the right list I should have done well/even won.


Battalion Detachment +3CP 1278pts

HQ - Commander: 170 pts
2x Cyclic Ion Blaster 2x Fusion Blaster 2x Shield Drone

HQ - Longstrike 201 pts
2x Seeker Misile, Railgun, Gun Drones

Troops - Breacher Team 48 pts
5x Fire Warrior, 1x Shas'ui

Troops - Breacher Team 48 pts
5x Fire Warrior, 1x Shas'ui

Troops - Breacher Team 48 pts
5x Fire Warrior, 1x Shas'ui

Troops - Strike Team 48 pts
5x Fire Warrior Pulse Carbines, 1x Shas'ui Pulse Carbine

Troops - Strike Team 48 pts
5x Fire Warrior Pulse Carbines, 1x Shas'ui Pulse Carbine

Elites - 3x XV8 Crisis 255 pts
9x Flamer, 6x Gun Drone

Elites - 3x XV8 Crisis 255 pts
9x Flamer, 6x Gun Drone

Fast Attack Tactical Drones 32 pts
4x Gun Drone

Fast Attack Tactical Drones 32 pts
4x Gun Drone

Fast Attack Tactical Drones 40 pts
5x Gun Drone

Outrider Detachment +1 CP 271 pts

Cadre Fireblade 42 pts

Darkstrider 45 pts

Fast Attack Tactical Drones 40 pts
5x Gun Drone

Fast Attack Tactical Drones 40 pts
5x Gun Drone

Fast Attack Tactical Drones 40 pts
5x Gun Drone

Pathfinder Team
7x Pathfinder Markerlight, Pulse Carbine, Pathfinder Shs'ui Markerlight, Pulse carbine

TOTAL POINTS 1496


So the idea is to set up in a corner and set up in tight curved lines from table edge to edge, with no space in the middle, stopping the quins from charging OVER my troops and into in the middle (or around). The drones in-front as the buffer line to take the 1st turn charge, then fall back (if they survive) then have the breachers, flamer crisis suits and Darkstider and Fireblade close behind to give their buffs, then the strike team carbines and pathfinders followed by commander with Longstrike at the back. (OR have all suits in manta strike and come in behind them on my turn 1)
I know the Quins are gonna come up in transports on Turn 1, with melta pistols firing out of them and be in CC. Then turn 2 unload their troupe members.
There will be an objective in each deployment zone to get, and you win if you control both at any time. However the main objective is to just to survive and probably table/not get tabled.
So I could just deploy everything on the field take the charges and repel them and then move up for the objective if there's any models in his back field, or I could manta strike my suits in to deal with his back field and take the objective or attack his charging units from behind. Tactically I don't know what to do as the suits will be very useful with the bulk of the army and the flamaers will be out of range on turn 1 if deployed in manta.
The commanders Fusion blasters and Longstrike is to take out the transports. everything else is to slay the deadly infantry that pops out.
mason8ah

Nothing fancy.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 2210

Re: 1500pt VS Harlequins

Post#2 » Nov 20 2017 07:32

Looks like a great start to a list- let me just ask though, this isn't a kill points game, right?

Anyway, I think this list has more than enough infantry-killing firepower. You shouldn't have any problems killing the Harlequins who come out of those transports. However, killing the transports themselves may prove difficult- Fusion Blasters and Railguns can have a hard time cutting through invulnerable aves, so weapons like CIBs may be the best option for you.

What models do you have access to? Could you add another Commander, or change one of the XV8 squads to include CIBs? Also, do you have any Stealthsuits?

User avatar
mason8ah
Shas'Saal
Posts: 53

Re: 1500pt VS Harlequins

Post#3 » Nov 21 2017 05:16

Arka0415 wrote:Looks like a great start to a list- let me just ask though, this isn't a kill points game, right?

Anyway, I think this list has more than enough infantry-killing firepower. You shouldn't have any problems killing the Harlequins who come out of those transports. However, killing the transports themselves may prove difficult- Fusion Blasters and Railguns can have a hard time cutting through invulnerable aves, so weapons like CIBs may be the best option for you.

What models do you have access to? Could you add another Commander, or change one of the XV8 squads to include CIBs? Also, do you have any Stealthsuits?



Thanks for getting back to me Arka :)
This isn't a kill points game no, but it is a grudge match! :dead:
That isn't on that list I have access too, 1 DF, a bunch of kroot, 5 Stealth suits, 5 Vespid, 3 Rail-Finders, 3 Ion-FInders.
I think that's it, only have 7 suits I'm afraid. I can change Longstrike to an Ion Strike or skyray. I can proxy what I like, so I can add as many CIB's as I like. But I don't like to proxy stupidly and have a kroot as a commander suit or something silly.
mason8ah

Nothing fancy.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 2210

Re: 1500pt VS Harlequins

Post#4 » Nov 21 2017 07:08

mason8ah wrote:Thanks for getting back to me Arka :)
This isn't a kill points game no, but it is a grudge match! :dead:
That isn't on that list I have access too, 1 DF, a bunch of kroot, 5 Stealth suits, 5 Vespid, 3 Rail-Finders, 3 Ion-FInders.
I think that's it, only have 7 suits I'm afraid. I can change Longstrike to an Ion Strike or skyray. I can proxy what I like, so I can add as many CIB's as I like. But I don't like to proxy stupidly and have a kroot as a commander suit or something silly.

Sounds good. I'm really thinking that getting more Ion, and more, less-powerful guns (i.e. taking CIBs over FBs when facing Harlequins) may be a good idea. Disclaimer though- I haven't playtested the list I'm about to share but this may be a good idea:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Cyclic Ion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (154)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Ion Cannon, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (218)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Ethereal w/ Honor Blade (45)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Troops - 10x Kroot Carnivores (60)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Flamers, 1x Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (251)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon (115)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)

Total: 1504 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

The main killing power here is the Drones, the Kroot are for screening, and you have just enough Markerlights to get those Seekers off on Turn 1 and from that point onward just let the Fireblade mark the vehicles the CIBs will be shooting at. The Stealthsuits should deploy with the main force, dropping the Homing Beacon while the Harlequins are close at hand should be absolutely devastating- not only is it 8D6 hits wherever you want, but you'll get more Drone Controller buff coverage for your 34 Gun Drones. What do you think?

User avatar
mason8ah
Shas'Saal
Posts: 53

Re: 1500pt VS Harlequins

Post#5 » Nov 22 2017 09:22

Arka0415 wrote:
mason8ah wrote:Thanks for getting back to me Arka :)
This isn't a kill points game no, but it is a grudge match! :dead:
That isn't on that list I have access too, 1 DF, a bunch of kroot, 5 Stealth suits, 5 Vespid, 3 Rail-Finders, 3 Ion-FInders.
I think that's it, only have 7 suits I'm afraid. I can change Longstrike to an Ion Strike or skyray. I can proxy what I like, so I can add as many CIB's as I like. But I don't like to proxy stupidly and have a kroot as a commander suit or something silly.

Sounds good. I'm really thinking that getting more Ion, and more, less-powerful guns (i.e. taking CIBs over FBs when facing Harlequins) may be a good idea. Disclaimer though- I haven't playtested the list I'm about to share but this may be a good idea:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Cyclic Ion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (154)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Ion Cannon, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (218)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Ethereal w/ Honor Blade (45)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Troops - 10x Kroot Carnivores (60)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Flamers, 1x Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (251)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon (115)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)

Total: 1504 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

The main killing power here is the Drones, the Kroot are for screening, and you have just enough Markerlights to get those Seekers off on Turn 1 and from that point onward just let the Fireblade mark the vehicles the CIBs will be shooting at. The Stealthsuits should deploy with the main force, dropping the Homing Beacon while the Harlequins are close at hand should be absolutely devastating- not only is it 8D6 hits wherever you want, but you'll get more Drone Controller buff coverage for your 34 Gun Drones. What do you think?


Thanks for this, I'm literally about to head out the door for this match, so can't really make a lot of changes. I have however put CIB's on 1 unit of suits and got a drone controller in on the flamer team too thanks!
Thanks for the tip about lighting up a transport and seekering and CIB'ing it, gonna give that a go! Wish me luck I'll report back if you're interested?
mason8ah

Nothing fancy.

User avatar
mason8ah
Shas'Saal
Posts: 53

Re: 1500pt VS Harlequins

Post#6 » Nov 23 2017 05:03

So little debrief:
The whole point of this game was that the Tau would be the underdogs in this game, starting on the back foot and being at a disadvantage, (to test my skills and knowledge).
It was one the closest and bloodiest games I've ever played, I lost but it came down to turn 5 and all that was left on the field was my commander, 1 of his transports and a character of his. So close and so much death, such a good game.
Here's a quick look at the list I ran.

HQ
Commander 4x CIB, 2x Shield drone
Longstrike, rail gun, gun drones, 2 x seekers
Dark Strider
Fireblade
Troop
5 x breachers
5 x breachers
5 x breachers
5 x strike team with carbines
5 x strike team with carbines
Elite
XV8 Crisis 8 x flamer, 1 Drone controller
XV8 9 x CIB
Fast Attack
4 x Gun Drones
4 x Gun Drones
5 x Gun Drones
5 x Gun Drones
5 x Gun Drones
5 x Gun Drones
8 x Path finders + 2 x Ion Rifles

Batrallion Detachment + Outrider Detachment 1495pts

One thing I would change is Longstrike, not only cos of high strength weapon and their 4+ invuns, but the fact that he didn't hit a god damn thing. I rolled a 2 for all seekers (including CP re-rolls), quins have -1 to-hit on vehicles. and his rail gun rolled a 2 as well (with CP re-rolls). Then he got fusion pistoled and destroyed in 1 turn, without ever dealing damage. So i'd sack him of next time, wouldn't even bother with Iongstrike, if I had more crisis suits they would be much more effective. Though he took one for the team and drew fire away from others, so that's good.
Breachers were good with their S6 weapons vs T3, of course Drones and Fireblade and drone controller was a great combo. Manta striking commander and CIB suits worked well.
I was in CC on turn 1, so it was all about my deployment, took them till turn 3 to get in/behind my lines (thanks to the massive hole longstrike left lol).

But regardless of outcome, A LOT of fun! :D :biggrin: :dead: :P
mason8ah

Nothing fancy.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 2210

Re: 1500pt VS Harlequins

Post#7 » Nov 24 2017 10:51

mason8ah wrote:One thing I would change is Longstrike, not only cos of high strength weapon and their 4+ invuns, but the fact that he didn't hit a god damn thing. I rolled a 2 for all seekers (including CP re-rolls), quins have -1 to-hit on vehicles. and his rail gun rolled a 2 as well (with CP re-rolls). Then he got fusion pistoled and destroyed in 1 turn, without ever dealing damage. So i'd sack him of next time, wouldn't even bother with Iongstrike, if I had more crisis suits they would be much more effective. Though he took one for the team and drew fire away from others, so that's good.
Breachers were good with their S6 weapons vs T3, of course Drones and Fireblade and drone controller was a great combo. Manta striking commander and CIB suits worked well.
I was in CC on turn 1, so it was all about my deployment, took them till turn 3 to get in/behind my lines (thanks to the massive hole longstrike left lol).


Sounds like a great game, but let me defend Longstrike for a second- remember, he hits on a 1+ (though 1s do still fail). Even with -1 to-hit penalties, he still hits on a 2+, so no issue there. He's one of the most accurate units in the game, since it's so easy for him to get re-rolling 1s as well. Were you unable to give him an Ion Cannon for the game?

Anyway, sounds like a fun game, and I hope you enjoy using that list! :D

Return to “Cadre Building”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BallsMcGee94 and 3 guests