2000pt Double Y'vahra and 84 Drones

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
FederationUnitedNews
Shas

2000pt Double Y'vahra and 84 Drones

Post#1 » Nov 17 2017 11:54

Planning on running this list tomorrow at an RTT. The event is a 2000 point 3 round tournament using the ITC champions mission pack. I ran a similiar list to this one at Wargames con and got 10th, this is a more refined version of that.

The basic idea of this list is pretty simple, set up the Y'vahras in the middle with dozens of drones within savior protocol range and then move down the board in a big chunk at the drones speed. The ethereals buff my leadership so I'll almost never lose a drone to morale, the fireblades buff my close range firepower to absurd levels and provide limited marker light support. The XV84 provides more marker lights along with Montka in case I really need to reach out and kill somebody with the Y'vahras. The Carnivores are deployed at my deployment edge then infiltrate forward in order to interfere with deep strike locations and hopefully trip up first turn charges. The hound sit in my backfield and spread out if the enemy has deep strike, if not they beeline straight for objectives.

I would include some firesight marksman as backfield objective sitters but I don't own any. I would probably include more drones if I had more but I might be at the point of diminishing returns.

Outrider
HQ
Ethereal (Warlord +1 Ld bubble)
Cadre Fireblade

Fast Attack
5x Drones 3x Gun, 3x Shield
Y'Vahra- ATS, TL

Outrider
HQ
Ethereal
Cadre Fireblade

Fast Attack
Y'Vahra- ATS, TL

Outrider
HQ
Ethereal- Equalizers
XV84 Commander- DC, MP

Troops
2x Kroot Carnivores 10 man

Fast Attack
4x Drones 3x Gun 3x Shield
2x Kroot Hounds 5 man

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 2000pt Double Y'vahra and 84 Drones

Post#2 » Nov 20 2017 10:28

Sorry for not posting here earlier. I assume the tournament is over already? How did it go?

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 23 2017 11:41

FederationUnitedNews wrote:Planning on running this list tomorrow at an RTT. The event is a 2000 point 3 round tournament using the ITC champions mission pack. I ran a similiar list to this one at Wargames con and got 10th, this is a more refined version of that.

The basic idea of this list is pretty simple, set up the Y'vahras in the middle with dozens of drones within savior protocol range and then move down the board in a big chunk at the drones speed. The ethereals buff my leadership so I'll almost never lose a drone to morale, the fireblades buff my close range firepower to absurd levels and provide limited marker light support. The XV84 provides more marker lights along with Montka in case I really need to reach out and kill somebody with the Y'vahras. The Carnivores are deployed at my deployment edge then infiltrate forward in order to interfere with deep strike locations and hopefully trip up first turn charges. The hound sit in my backfield and spread out if the enemy has deep strike, if not they beeline straight for objectives.

I would include some firesight marksman as backfield objective sitters but I don't own any. I would probably include more drones if I had more but I might be at the point of diminishing returns.

Outrider
HQ
Ethereal (Warlord +1 Ld bubble)
Cadre Fireblade

Fast Attack
Y'Vahra- ATS, TL

Outrider
HQ
Ethereal
Cadre Fireblade

Fast Attack
Y'Vahra- ATS, TL

Outrider
HQ
Ethereal- Equalizers
XV84 Commander- DC, MP

Troops
2x Kroot Carnivores 10 man

Fast Attack
4x Drones 3x Gun 3x Shield
2x Kroot Hounds 5 man

Hi! I like your list's concept, but there are some comments that I would like to make:

1- one of the dilemas I face when designing a drone-heavy list is how big the units will be vs. how many of them I will have. There are just a couple of concearns on deciding that, morale (the smaller the units, the better), and deployment drops+kill points for the opponent (the bigger units, the better). If you take that many ethereals to help your first problem, then I would go with bigger units. Also, the configuration might be a little to mixed for me, I would use more gun drones than shield ones, cause the durability on them when they are directly shot is not that different between them (only the 5+ FNP, given that they usually receive AP0 shots). I think 42 Shield drones are too many, and you are losing in fire power against horde/infantry, which are the only weak point of the Y'vahra, who almost kills as many orks than marines/terminators.

2- regarding the anti-morale package, I think 3 ethereals are too many. And not just to moreale purposes but for your list concept, which I see more like a 2 separate packs, each one with its Y'vahra and its drones, covered by 1 ethereal and 1 Fireblade.
One thing I have thought of doing is to give on of my Cadre Fireblades the "+1 Ld bubble" Warlord trait, who will not only pump the morale to the drones nearby, but will also increase the morale of a close ethereal by 1 so, in the end, your ethereal will give Ld10 anyway, but this way you gain an extra Ld pump aura, and you make your warlord a bit more resilient (from Sv5+ to 4+).

3- another thing I would consider is to change the commander to make him more usefull, not just for the DC and montka. The options I always consider are 1) Coldstar with DC and ATS (if I want him able to follow the Y'vahras), 2) a 3 Missile Pod (or 2 with ATS), DC commander to be shooting since Turn 1, or 3) a 3-Fusion blaster DC one, to provide your army with more anti-tank in case your Y'vahra are not enough.
Another thing regarding the commanders, would be to add another one, to be able to have both Y'vahra-drones packs covered in every aspect (including the DC). This one would be also 3Fusion or MissilePod IMO.

4- last but not least, although I like the idea behind the kroot army protecting deepstriking, I would always go with Kroot carinivores, for 3 simple reasons: 1) they are troop choice, so they help you with 3 CP in a list that does not have many. 2) they are way more versatile, being able to grab objectives, shoot at light infantry while staying in cover, or going to charge a shooty unit or a key tank. Their infiltrators move gives you an insane tool to do any kind of shenanigans, from redeploying them depending on you going first or seccond, to geting objectives from the first turn or being able to shoot at rapid fire range from turn 1 (and get into charge range too!). 3) they are infantry, and that gives you many advantages, they almost always are in cover (since before starting the first turn), they can climb buildings and ruins, and they can benefit from the ethereal's "Invocation of the elements" if they are close enough. Hey, they can even carry the relic or secure an objective better than non-troop units.
My lists always include 3x 10-man Carnivore Kroot units, and deepstrike T1 is not a concearn anymore.

My approach would be the following:

Outrider
HQ
Ethereal
Cadre Fireblade (Warlord +1 Ld bubble)

Fast Attack
3x Drones 6x Gun, 2x Shield
Y'Vahra- ATS, TL
Y'Vahra- ATS, TL

Outrider
HQ
Ethereal
Cadre Fireblade

Fast Attack
6x Drones 5x Gun, 2x Shield

Battalion
HQ
2x Commander - 3xFusion Blasters, DC

Troops
3x Kroot Carnivores 10 man

2000p

I look forward to hear about your experience in that torunment! I would love to see how the list performed, and the conclusions you could gather.

FederationUnitedNews
Shas

Post#4 » Nov 23 2017 05:30

I ended up going with a slightly different list, dropping the XV84 commander and one of the ethereal in favor of 2 regular commanders armed only with a drone controller and a stim injector.

My list did very well for me in the tournament with a record of 2-0-1.

My first game was against a Vostroyan IG motor pool list which contained maybe 6 tanks of various types, 2 hellhounds, a devil dog, a few squads of scions and a Cerastus Knight-Castigator (FW knight with a mega bolter and sword). I was very worried about this match up in particular because gun lines and motor pools are, I think, my worst match up. Both my opponent and I weren't not familiar with the ITC champions mission pack and as a result with both picked sub-optimal secondary objectives. I wasted one of mine on king slayer targeting his tank commander. Deployment was spearhead assault and I put my whole army as far forward as possible save for my kroot hounds who stood around in the back to prevent his scions from getting behind my lines. He deployed his tanks back a few inches and his knight and hellhounds forward. He got first turn which I was ok with and he pushed his hellhounds and knight forward. During his first shooting phase he managed to take down about 20ish drones. Every turn he would kill roughly 20 drones and I was move my blob about 8-10 inches up and destroy some of his vehicles. the game only lasted to turn 3 but it ended up in a draw. Had the game continue I think I would've ended up taking it as I had taken out his knight and his hellhound and 1 of his leman russes and if we would've went longer I certainly would've started taking the rest of his tanks apart.

My second game was against a character spam space wolf list which had many wolf lords on thunder wolves along with a pair of culexus assassins and a few units of snipers. This game was a complete mismatch as drone spam is very very good against character spam. We rolled up spearhead again and I let him go first. We both deployed pretty far foward and he moved towards my lines turn 1. Every turn he would kill a handful of drone and I was eliminate maybe 1/4 of his characters. I did find a few interesting rules interactions, one with drone controllers and culexus assassins wherein drones buffed by a DC hit on 5+. The other was some confusion involving savior protocol and the sniper mortal wound rules, we weren't sure how exactly to deal with it but I knew he didn't have much of a chance so I just took the mortal wounds on my characters. I ended up winning this game though it also ended on turn 3 but had it continued I probably would've tabled him.

My last game was against a pure death guard army with 3 of their mortar tanks, 3 of their plague spitting drones, a few units of pox walkers, a detachment of alpha legion with cultists and a sorcery, all led by mortarion. I was confident going into this match as I had tooled my list specifically to deal with daemon primarch first turn charges. We rolled up deployment and once again we got spearhead and once again my opponent got first turn, fine with me. I deployed my forces focused directly across from mortarion in the center of the table and infiltrated up my kroot to stumble his charge. First turn he moves Mortarion up straight towards my lines along with his plauge drones and he warp times Him forward stopping just in front of my kroot. His shooting phase consisted of him eliminating both kroot units with morty and the drones and also taking a handful of drones down. He managed to make a 9" charge into two units of drones but not before taking a few wounds from most of my armies overwatch. He did very little damage to my drone units because I rolled extremely well. My turn comes up and I position my whole army with one goal in mind, TAKE DOWN MORTY, and after both Y'varnas dumped everyhting into him he exploded and did more damage in death to me that he did in life. After Morty went down I would go on to wipe out his plague drones and his cultists. Game ended on turn 3 and once again had it continued I'm pretty confident he would've been tabled.

To address some of your points.

1. In my local meta there aren't very many dude spam armies, this combined with some model limitations (A man can only own so many drones) leads me to my current drone breakdown. That being said I did not anticipate how intense the firepower from just 3 drones buffed by both a DC and a fireblade could be and I'm sure it would be even crazier if each unit had 2-3 more.

2. I ended up coming to a similar conclusions regarding the number of ethereals but I like your idea of putting the WL trait on a Fireblade so I can position him between my ethereals to spread the LD a little further.

3. I do think want to put some weapons on my commanders but I don't think I would go with FB. Anytime enemy units get within striking distance of my lines they end up dead very reliably as it is so I would probably go with missile pods instead in order to give myself a little more range.

4. I totally agree with you on more Carnivores and dropping the hounds, the ability to infiltrate forward is just so powerful and with chapter approved coming I'll definitely be needing a few more command points.

A few big take aways.

1. I need to get faster at moving all of my drones and deploying them. I'm considering movement trays and measured amounts of dice for shooting.

2. Assault based armies, character spam armies, and daemon princes have a serious uphill battle against my list.

3. My list is going to have some serious issues against dedicated gun line/ parking lot lists. If my opponent can just castle up and try to blow me off the table, there may be nothing I can do. I'm still exploring options on solving this problem.

stayhandsome
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 23 2017 11:36

Glad to hear that your list did well in your tournament. It’s a really interesting and individual setup.

Return to “Cadre Building”