1000 pts friendly-ish list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Kerrygan
Shas

1000 pts friendly-ish list

Post#1 » Nov 19 2017 07:03

Hello there!
My friends and I are starting a campaing. We are all novices in W40k.
The campaing will use army of diferents sizes: 1000, 1500 and 2000. I must asemble 3 armies, one of each size, to play with.
Also, we have a "side army" option: since the armies are fixed, and we cannot change it once the campaign started, we can select a detachment of 25% of each army as the "Alternative Detachment", with 3 options to alternate. Also fixed.

As we are just starting, of the 10 players, only 3 have miniatures, the others (me included) bought some kits and boxes, but are still in the sweet waiting (for delivery). So we all agree to use proxies: models from other armies, papercraft models, cardboard figures, etc. So there is no problem with the variety and quantity to select to arrange an army.
I will eventually buy the necessary models.

I'm here for help and thoughts on a 1000 pts list, and the Alternative Detachment.

Today we played (first game of 8th for both me and my opponent, and 3th or 4th of Warhammer 40k for both also) our first battle, with no Alternative Detachment option since we don't have much time to make the lists.
My oponent played Ultramarines, almost completely with the models that came in the Dark Imperium box.

This was my 1k list:

Note: the units were equiped with the default wargear except otherwise stated

HQ:
1x QFC + 2 Shield Drones

Troops:
10x Breachers + Shield Drone + Guardian Drone

Fast Attack:
6x Pathfinders
5x Pathfinders
10x Gun Drones + 2x Shield Drones

Elites:
3x Crisis (3xCIB each) + 6 Shield Drones (to do some dakka dakka and drone delivery for HQ).
1x Firesight Marskman

Heavy Support:
3x Sniper Drones (idea was: "maybe I can kill some annoying character with this. Bleh).

Dedicated Transport:
1x Devilfish + 2x Seeker Missiles (Breachers here. Missiles for point fill).

Well... Thoughts:

*The Snipers are a waste of points. Never more. So with them goes the Marskman.
*Due to the heavy building setup that the board had, the Devilfish was really hard to maneuver. Although I didn't it in this game, I think that maybe in a 1500 or 2000 pts fit best.
*The Crisis are impressive. First make SERIOUS damage to a Intercessor Squad, and later obliterate a unit of Inceptors.
*The QFC are a god. Pity I forgot (yeah, forgot, what a faggot!) put the 6 Crisis's drones 3" from him. He almost survive a round of shooting... At least the Crisis had good protection now, I supose.
*The Pathfinders and Gun Drones do they job.
*The Breachers never disembark from the Devilfish.

The game was ended early due to a nuclear bombing (both of us need to leave) so the game was declared a draft.

So, can you help me please to make some 1k, 1.5k and 2k lists with a side army? I like the core of this list.
Maybe with more points I like to add a Ghostkeel or other bigger battlesuit. I have a Riptide in the way, which I can use as XV107 or 109, perhaps?
I want to try XV25 too, but I can't fit them in today.

Also, I read all the posting advices and threads, and I hope that this thread is ok, but if there is something wrong, let me know.
Well, cheers!

Kiran Tau
Shas'Saal

Re: 1000 pts friendly-ish list

Post#2 » Nov 20 2017 02:26

Hi Kerrygan

How compeditive do you want the lists to be?? I have not tried the sniper drones, but with them lacking the mortal wound mechanic is crucial... if i should trim your current list for optimization I would do the following:

You have plenty of markerlights so marksman goes, snipers follow, split your drone squad in two using only GD and add a fireblade, scrap the breachers and put fireblade and gundrones in the Devilfish... I would drop the third CIB and give your suit an ATS... this leaves us at:

QFC (2 SD)
Fireblade

Crisis 3x(2x CIB, ATS) (6x SD)

6 pathfinders
5 pathfinders
5 GD
6 GD

Devilfish
total: 827 points

for that can you get a 4 man stealth team with 3x ATS and 1x DC and a homing beacon, that can get your commander within those 9" for higher dmg output... ending on:

QFC (2 SD)
Fireblade

Crisis 3x(2x CIB, ATS) (6x SD)
stealth team 3x(ATS) 1x(DC) homing beacon

6 pathfinders
5 pathfinders
5 GD
6 GD

Devilfish

Total: 996 pts
Shas'el Au'taal Elan'B (Strong Shepherd)

kruetz
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 20 2017 02:46

Off to the right start with the Quad Fusion Commander.

I like the Firesight marksman. Its a cheap elite choice for Vanguard detachment, team it up with the patherfinders to start the markerlight waterfall since it hits on a 3+ (for 24 pts!) I wish the drone uplink worked with all drones, but even still I think this is a hidden gem in our index.

Put the breachers in transport with either (or both) an etheral or darkstrider. Or even better Aun'shi. Math hammer says 2 units of 6 breachers is better, but the close combat of Aun'shi and sense of stone is fun. Darkstrider lets you wound termies on 2s! and fall back and still shoot, this will happen in normal games.

Not sure about the ten random drones. At least run two units of 5 or drop them for the transport, (which comes with 2 embarked!)

I run similar stuff. Run a 3 CIB commander with ats. Will delete 10 man squads with the amount of fire (2+, 2+ yay) or can overcharge for big targets. So extremely versital.

Competitive lists,

ok side topic: I am playing a campaign with 4 other armies from : 500, 750, 1000, 1250, 1500, 1750, to 2000. what I have learned is Tau cheese with this index is only good compared to codex's. So depending on your group look and see what they will be bringing. Two commanders is a minimun even at 500 and 750 matches.

I see commander spam as cheese, but everyone in my play group (that don't play t'au even) say it's necessary to bring multiple commanders to bring a good list (by spam, 3 or 4 commanders). Me being newer player, they told me directly "T'au have good weapon options, but only one option to bring them on, commanders)

TLDR: take minimum 2 commanders at 1000, 3+ commanders at higher levels

I also like 3 missile pod commander with ATS for 36'' S7 AP -2 sweetness, as a character hide it behind your line.
Which brings to the third thing I also bring after commanders and breachers in transport: Firewarriors and Cadre fireblade:
Two units of 10 plus two gun drones and a Cadre with 2 gun drones is about 250 points (sweet spot) and is great at holding objectives and killing stuff. That 60 shots with 15''! AT str 5 which is huge 'cuz your still wounding elite infantry on 3's and vehicles on 5's which is something most armies cant say about basic troups.

So I like what your bringing you've found the gemstones of the index (commanders, breachers, firewarriors and gun drones)

Have fun learn target priority. Always focus fire and entire unit until dead and move on, don't be afraid to charge (especial with the devilfish).

Most importantly: have fun!

kruetz
Shas

Post#4 » Nov 20 2017 02:52

So here's roughly what I bring:

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [27 PL, ] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, ]: Advanced targeting system, 3x Cyclic ion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [6 PL, ]
. 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system: 2x Burst cannon
. Stealth Shas'vre: Fusion blaster, Multi-tracker

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [6 PL, ]
. 6x Pathfinder: 6x Markerlight

Pathfinder Team [6 PL, ]
. 6x Pathfinder: 6x Markerlight

Tactical Drones [2 PL,]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [32 PL, ] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, ]: Markerlight

Commander [7 PL, ]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

+ Troops +

Breacher Team [5 PL, ]: 10x Fire Warrior

Strike Team [5 PL, ]: 10x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [5 PL, ]: 10x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Elites +

Firesight Marksman [1 PL, ]: Markerlight

+ Dedicated Transport +

TY7 Devilfish [7 PL, ]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Burst cannon

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Kerrygan
Shas

Post#5 » Nov 20 2017 01:37

Hello Kiran, thank you for answer my questions. I have some doubts:

Kiran Tau wrote:How compeditive do you want the lists to be??

Well, I want to win games, oviously. But is a campaing with friends, so some licences can be made.

Kiran Tau wrote:I have not tried the sniper drones, but with them lacking the mortal wound mechanic is crucial...

Yeah, they s**k hard.

Kiran Tau wrote:split your drone squad in two using only GD and add a fireblade, scrap the breachers and put fireblade and gundrones in the Devilfish... I would drop the third CIB and give your suit an ATS...

Why split the Drones? And why whitout Shield Drones? I think the Shield Drones can make some saves.
Why 2xCIB+ATS instead of 3xCIB?

Kiran Tau wrote:for that can you get a 4 man stealth team with 3x ATS and 1x DC and a homing beacon, that can get your commander within those 9" for higher dmg output...

I think maybe the XV25 will fit better in a 1500+ game. Or do you consider the XV25+Homing worth the points at so few points?

Thank you for your time!

Kerrygan
Shas

Post#6 » Nov 20 2017 01:56

Hello fellow commander, thank you for your feedback.

kruetz wrote:Off to the right start with the Quad Fusion Commander.

Yeah! I learn his ways here on ATT! He seems to be the brighter star around here.

kruetz wrote:I like the Firesight marksman. Its a cheap elite choice for Vanguard detachment, team it up with the patherfinders to start the markerlight waterfall since it hits on a 3+ (for 24 pts!)

Hey, I didn't think about that: the elite choice to form the Vanguard detachment. Yeah, sure. Thanks for pointing it.

kruetz wrote:Put the breachers in transport with either (or both) an etheral or darkstrider. Or even better Aun'shi. Math hammer says 2 units of 6 breachers is better, but the close combat of Aun'shi and sense of stone is fun. Darkstrider lets you wound termies on 2s! and fall back and still shoot, this will happen in normal games.

Do you suggest to drop the Shield and Guardian Drones from the Breachers?
What you propose sounds fun. I need to learn how to properly use the Devilfish. I failed hard in my first game and it would have been better if the Breachers went on foot.

kruetz wrote:Two commanders is a minimun even at 500 and 750 matches. (...) it's necessary to bring multiple commanders to bring a good list (by spam, 3 or 4 commanders). (...) take minimum 2 commanders at 1000, 3+ commanders at higher levels

That sound crazy. Don't you think that is too much? I don't know...

kruetz wrote:So I like what your bringing you've found the gemstones of the index (commanders, breachers, firewarriors and gun drones)

Have fun learn target priority. Always focus fire and entire unit until dead and move on, don't be afraid to charge (especial with the devilfish).

Most importantly: have fun!

I'm learning almost all from ATT, so..!

kruetz
Shas

Post#7 » Nov 21 2017 12:10

Do you suggest to drop the Shield and Guardian Drones from the Breachers?
What you propose sounds fun. I need to learn how to properly use the Devilfish. I failed hard in my first game and it would have been better if the Breachers went on foot.

Depends on if you run both or one character. I like the Guardian Drone for 5+ invul, but my friends know to shot at it first. I almost perfer the 6+ FNP from the etheral, and the etheral can't be targeted 'cuz character.

That sound crazy. Don't you think that is too much? I don't know...

Well, I play Ad Mech, Grey knights, Thousand Sons, and Death Korp of Krieg. And 2 commanders around 1000 pts just keeps me in games, but again I'm still learning.

I need to learn how to properly use the Devilfish. I failed hard in my first game and it would have been better if the Breachers went on foot.

No, the Devilfish protects and transports them right where they need to be. Protects them from turn one alpha strikes and on turn two before they get out.

(Whether you go first or not)
Turn 1. Move devilfish towards target.
Opponents following turn. They shot at devilfish and blow it up or not you don't care. If it blows do best to get breachers closer to target.

Turn 2. Disembark, by placing breachers three inches away then with 6 inch move and 5 inch gun profile, you have a deadly 14 inch threat range with breachers.
Breachers and characters do their thing. Kill elite infantry.
If they don't finish off the unit, NO FEAR.
CHARGE THE DEVILFISH into the remaining squad, then Aun'shi and breachers (maybe)

The devilfish takes the overwatch AND ties up the unit (the third way the devilfish is now protecting the breachers) to give the breachers another turn and maybe another target.

Rinse repeat

At least this is what I'm doing right now.

Have a big apoc game this weekend, might try two teams of breachers :)

Return to “Cadre Building”